Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-07-2014   #41
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47294 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Aaron Murray QB Georgia

This kid is a very intriguing prospect. He's off of the radar to many fans, but you can bet there's not a team in the league, especially the ones like our Texans who need a QB in the worst way, who's not watching every move he's making in his rehab/recovery.
I'm telling you, there's going to be some legit QB prospects like Murray sitting on the Board at the beginning of the second day of the Draft, and just like the day before we can have any of them because we will be up to bat first again.
And then you hear about Murray off the field. His leadership ability. His high football IQ and ability to make pre-snap reads (offensive coordinator Mike Bobo estimated to Chip Towers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he makes the correct call 90% of the time at the line). That he’s a film junkie…so much so that he went back to study his game against Kentucky (where he tore his ACL) immediately after being released from the Hospital.
Yes, he has some weaknesses. All quarterbacks do. His arm strength is good…not great. He can move when he needs to (57 yard run against Tennessee for example), but he isn’t particularly fast (which could be more affected by his torn ACL). Sometimes he forces throws into coverage, and other times he holds the ball too long in the pocket. I can overlook those issues – for now at least – after the way I saw him play, and what I hear about his work ethic. I don’t expect Murray to be a top round pick. But if you’re looking an absolute steal at quarterback in the middle of the draft, Aaron UGAis definitely the guy.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/...urray-mystery/
And here's a piece by a Houston radio guy about Murray which does nothing but help him in terms of his chances to make it in the NFL.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

He's on my list of six. The knee is more of an issue with him than Mettenberger because running around is a bigger part of his game. But like you said, everybody's watching his rehab & if they sign off on him, he'll be a nice surprise for some team.
Old 03-17-2014   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Baldinger: Aaron Murray to have best NFL career of 2014 QB class
Quote:
"I like Manziel, but I think he's going to get hurt. I think Bridgewater is going to go to a bad team. I think he's the best quarterback right now, but the question was, who is going to have the best career," Baldinger said. "I just think a guy like Aaron is probably going to go to a team where they may not need a quarterback (immediately). Where he goes, there may be no pressure."
"Most of the great quarterbacks in this league right now, whether it's Manning, Rivers or Brees, they played a lot of college games," Baldinger said. "And this guy played as many as anybody in the country. ... When I watch him, he looks as good as anybody. He's got a good arm, he snaps the ball off, he's smart. He's probably going to get underdrafted in the fourth-round type range, where there is no pressure to play."
"I don't think Murray is better than Teddy Bridgewater right now, but that wasn't the question. If Bridgewater goes to Cleveland, or Oakland, those are terrible teams who will have a hard time winning right away," he said. "He's probably going to have to play right away. I was a big Joey Harrington fan, but he went to a bad Detriot team and he couldn't improve the team. They never improved around him. Blaine Gabbert was on a bad team."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Dungy @TonyDungy
Quote:
...Yes I am a big Aaron Murray fan. I think he's going to be like Russell Wilson.
Old 03-17-2014   #45
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47294 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping O'Brien likes this guy, but I have no idea which if any of this years QBs the new HC likes ? I'm sure he'd be on the Board for us in the second round, but I think it would be risky to wait to use our 3.1 if we were to decide to move on Murray.
Old 03-23-2014   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

12 teams who could draft UGA star Aaron Murray
Quote:
Former Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray is set to leave for Phoenix today to start the final month of his preparations before Georgia’s Pro Day on April 16.

“He will work with quarterback coach Terry Shea,” said Pat Dye, Jr., Murray’s Atlanta-based agent. “We think the first week he’s there he’s going to be working with RGIII (Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III).”

Murray tore his ACL against Kentucky on Senior Night and had surgery the following Tuesday.

“He’s been training in Pensacola with the Athletes’ Performance, but they also have the Andrews Institute down there with Dr. (Robert) Andrews,” Dye said. “We just thought the combination of the performance training and medical attention that he would get down there would be tough to match.”
“He’s going to be training out there for about 10 days and then he’ll come back to Pensacola and train for a little bit,” Dye said. “Then he’ll do the (Jon) Gruden Camp, the 5th and 6th of April on ESPN. Then he’ll go from there back to Athens to start really polishing up. He’ll start throwing with his wide receivers, tight ends and running backs at Georgia. He’ll be working with his Georgia teammates and really start honing his Pro Day workout.”

Here are the 12 teams that have shown the most interest in Murray: Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Arizona, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Oakland, Tennessee and Kansas City.
“There’s just a real positive buzz about Aaron with the teams,” Dye said. "He’s well ahead of schedule and he should be fine to start training camp or at some point during training camp. Whether if that’s the first day or two weeks into it. Aaron swears he’ll be ready by training camp, a full go.”
Murray met with teams at the Senior Bowl and at the combine.

“He’s very smart and has great football intelligence,” Dye said. “(He’s a) leader. He’s a very, very tough kid. When you watch the way that he got whacked around in the 2010 Auburn game by Nick Fairley, on what some wished were personal foul penalties, a lot of people don’t know that he had to get his chin stitched up during that game. He played, but from the second series on he apparently had a cracked sternum.

“Just getting to know Aaron, he has a passion for football. There’s such a positive energy about him. It’s really infectious and I think teams pick up on that when they are around him.”

The Falcons and the Jaguars’ coaching staffs worked the Senior Bowl. Murray was slated to play on the South team, but accepted his invitation anyway.

“I think it was a brilliant strategy for us to — Aaron and I kind of talked about it – go down and participate in the Senior Bowl just as if he was playing,” Dye said. “To take the time to go down there, go to the meetings, go to the quarterback position meetings, sit there and listen to NFL coaching and stand there behind the huddle and watch every day, he kind of immersed himself in NFL coaching and NFL culture.

“I think he impressed a lot of teams because he took the time to go down there for three days. That really, really resonated with people that he was so proactive about that and had such a sense of urgency about that.”

While Murray rewrote the record books at Georgia and in the SEC, there is the knee injury and the fact that he’s a half inch under 6-1. Most project that he’ll go in the third round or possibly as early as the late second round.

“In an ideal world, he’s not coming off an ACL,” Dye said. “In an ideal world, he’s 6-foot-4. But he’s not. We’ll just make the best of that. His height and his ACL are a little bit of a detriment to his draft status, but, all in all, I don’t expect much of draft fallout from the ACL. I just think there is a positive bounce from his production, performance and his intangibles. I think ultimately, he’ll end up going about where he would have gone had he not got hurt.”...
Old 03-23-2014   #47
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Didn't know Murray was going to get well enough, quick enough to participate in his teams Pro Day. Will be looking forward to reports from Athens about his performance on the 16th.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2014   #48
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QB Aaron Murray U of G

Saw a clip of him on the Gruden QB Camp. Out of all the other QBs, not named Manziel, Bridgewater or Bortles, he intrigues me the most.

Kid is tough, I didn't know after he tore his ACL, he stayed in the game and threw a TD. Damn...

Drew Brees esq arm and height. Might be a steal in the late rounds...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #49
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Aaron Murray U of G

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=Aaron+Murray
Old 04-11-2014   #50
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Yeah that was September, I have had a chance to watch more of him through the year and I like what I see...

I can admit I was off base on that assessment...

Old 04-11-2014   #51
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Yeah that was September, I have had a chance to watch more of him through the year and I like what I see...

I can admit I was off base on that assessment...
Where you were off base is there was already an Aaron Murray thread.
Old 04-11-2014   #52
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Where you were off base is there was already an Aaron Murray thread.
I thought there was, I looked for it but guess not hard enough...

It was funny cause the 2nd post I saw, when I clicked the link, was one I made that compared Murray to Schaub....

which I should be ashamed about, nobody should EVER be compared to Schaub...that is just cruel...

Cak complaining I took a shot at Schaub in 3.....2.....1.....

Old 04-11-2014   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cak complaining I took a shot at Schaub in 3.....2.....1.....
Nope. I gave my opinion and you're free to proceed as you wish, no further complaints from me.
Old 04-11-2014   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Saw a clip of him on the Gruden QB Camp. Out of all the other QBs, not named Manziel, Bridgewater or Bortles, he intrigues me the most.

Kid is tough, I didn't know after he tore his ACL, he stayed in the game and threw a TD. Damn...

Drew Brees esq arm and height. Might be a steal in the late rounds...
There's another thread where Greg Cossel reviews many of the 2014 QBs & in his evaluation of Murray, he says he's not a fast twitch guy like Brees. He called him slow & a few other things.

I think he's more likely to have success in the NFL than the 4 guys looked at as 1st rounders. Dude's a baller.
Old 04-11-2014   #55
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 95054 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Murray is on my list if QBs I would be happy to have in camp.
Old 04-11-2014   #56
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Murray is on my list if QBs I would be happy to have in camp.
Ditto, I really like his toughness. I've seen him dive headfirst into defenders to secure a touchdown when he had no business attempting it. I like his experience and he shows flashes at times. I would be interested to see him develop.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #57
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126039 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a fan of Murray. Think we can get him in the 4th?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I'm a fan of Murray. Think we can get him in the 4th?
Is Murray on the bottom of your QB list? Are you thinking a QB in the first or second round, then Murray is your late round just in case pick? Or do you think his chance of success is just as great as the 1st rounders & you're going to wait & gamble that he'll be there in the 4th?
Old 04-11-2014   #59
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Ditto, I really like his toughness. I've seen him dive headfirst into defenders to secure a touchdown when he had no business attempting it. I like his experience and he shows flashes at times. I would be interested to see him develop.
Wait a minute. You like his toughness? It's ok that he dives head first into defenders? He's almost the exact size of Manziel. I get that the price tag significantly different but why the double standard? Aren't these the traits that have you worried about Manziel?
Old 04-17-2014   #60
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this on the other forums yesterday. (Murray's Pro Day)

@AJCFalcons

(Aaron Murray's throwing script)

Quote:
Aaron Murray was happy with his Pro Day performance. He completed 47 of 54 passes. 4 Drops by WR's
Quote:
Did it look like it helped or hurt his stock overall?”<--helped. One scout said he was slightly favoring the leg
Video of his post pro day.

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2...o-day-session/

@BrandonBoykin2

Quote:
@aaronmurray11 is the best Qb in the draft.. So don't ask me my opinion.

@buckbelue8

Quote:
He threw it impressively at Pro Day 2day. Barely noticed knee brace.
Quote:
Aaron Murray had Solid Pro Day. Threw 54 balls. Only few hit ground. Mobility impressive!
Quote:
20 #NFL teams watched Murray throw it. Raiders & Rams got 1st conversation w/ Aaron post-passing session. Jags Head Coach Gus Bradley here.

@PhilSteele042

Quote:
Watching Georgia Spring game. Aaron Murray a guest in booth and he will make a great analyst when his career is over. Very insightful.

Some mixed reports. Not sure who to believe but I will say that 5 months after ACL surgery and you're already up and moving around? I do believe that he was able to move fast but I could believe that he might have favored it at some times through the work out. Regardless, he's got 3 more months till TC so he will be fine once things get started.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read