Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-24-2013   #21
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33796 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Aaron Murray QB Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I doubt it. He suffers from the short bias.
People compare him to Drew Brees. He's worth a gamble in the third or fourth round, especially from a team like the Texans. We still have Matt Schaub under contract for a few more years. Unless we plan to release him - which would cost about $10 million in dead money over the next few seasons and be a total waste on the salary cap - why not go into 2014 with a veteran QB like Schaub, Case Keenum and Aaron Murray?

I suppose Yates will be the odd man out in that scenario. A healthy Arian Foster and Owen Daniels will help out a lot, whoever our starting quarterback is Week 1 in 2014. That would allow Aaron Murray to be groomed and be ready when it's his time in 2016 and maybe even 2015.

I guess a lot depends who the coaching staff is...
A new staff will surely say goodbye to Schaub.
Old 02-11-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So obviously I need help when it comes to evaluating QBs. I made the statement in another thread that I thought Aaron Murray should be in the conversation of best QB in this draft. I know I'm going to take some heat from that. & contrary to popular opinion, I don't just throw stuff out there to throw stuff out there, or for reactions, or anything like that. I just think differently than most.

I respect many of you for your take on football, the game, the people, the spectacle. Some especially for your insight on the Xes & Os. Some for your evaluation of players, some especially of college players. beerlover is definitely in that group of people I'm looking to for the scoop on the next crop of talent to come into the NFL. When he says....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Took Brees awhile, in fact not until he signed w/New Orleans before he got it "upstairs" but I see similar resilience & mental toughness, he is unquestioned leader in bulldog huddle & has quick accurate release. He has demonstrated big time playmaking over & over in big time game situations. In four years as Purdue Boilermaker Brees passed for 11,792, 90 TD's, total offensive yards 12,693, completions 1,026, and attempts 1,678. Murray just beginning Senior season he is on pace in just two games 194.77 passer rating, 632 yards, 71.2 passing %, 4 TD's vs 1 TD. First three seasons he passed for 10,091 yards if he averages 316 per game thats another 3,792 yards or projected 13,883 yards. That is in SEC vs Big 10. No two QB's are exactly alike but I've seen enough from both to make comparable comparison, IMO.
I don't see how that is not a 1st round QB. Granted, the ACL is an issue, possibly push him down to the third round... but it happened in November & he should be ready to go for the combine... I would think, & ready for contact when the season starts.

But most of the posts in this draft are before the ACL & we're slotting him for the 3rd round. After the ACL, it's "well, maybe he'll get picked up as an UDFA"

I'd be thrilled if the Texans were to draft elite talent at other positions with our first two picks, or parlay those two into 4 day one starters, then get Aaron Murray in the third. I would have the same expectations of him as I would with any of the QBs taken in Rounds 1 & 2.

The guys who watch the draft have been saying this is going to be a good year for QB, there's no "Andrew Luck" but there are a lot of Mat Ryans. & from what I'm seeing, that's exactly what we have here.

Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, McCarron, Murray, & Fales..... I'd be happy with any of those six as I believe they have just as good a shot as any to be a franchise QB.

& I'd like to come away with Logan Thomas, but that's more of a project.
Old 02-11-2014   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The jagUars & the draft

Found this article, thought I'd share.
NFL Draft rumors: Jaguars considering Aaron Murray?
Quote:
Former NFL scout Russ Lande recently wrote, ”General Manager David Caldwell learned under Bill Polian and Thomas Dimitroff, who both place a ton of emphasis on film evaluation and college production.”

He added that ”there is some sentiment around the league that the Jaguars would prefer to select a pass rusher in the first round.”

If that is the strategy the Jaguars decide to go with, then it is likely that they will have their eyes set on South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney in the first-round. Then, Murray, Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Garoppolo and LSU’s Zach Mettenberger could all be intriguing options on Day 2.
Old 02-11-2014   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Murray. Enjoyed Georgia's games this year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I really like Murray. Enjoyed Georgia's games this year.
Me too but no way would I suggest he be our main target. I would love to draft him as a project.
Old 02-11-2014   #26
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

If that draft rumor is true that would be so awesome. We could literally see the 2 split sides of this forum in a battle 2x per year over at least the next 4/5 years.

There would be a winner and there would be a loser and obviously there would be blood.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
If that draft rumor is true that would be so awesome. We could literally see the 2 split sides of this forum in a battle 2x per year over at least the next 4/5 years.

There would be a winner and there would be a loser and obviously there would be blood.
What draft rumor ? Never mind.
Old 02-11-2014   #28
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So obviously I need help when it comes to evaluating QBs. I made the statement in another thread that I thought Aaron Murray should be in the conversation of best QB in this draft. I know I'm going to take some heat from that. & contrary to popular opinion, I don't just throw stuff out there to throw stuff out there, or for reactions, or anything like that. I just think differently than most.

I respect many of you for your take on football, the game, the people, the spectacle. Some especially for your insight on the Xes & Os. Some for your evaluation of players, some especially of college players. beerlover is definitely in that group of people I'm looking to for the scoop on the next crop of talent to come into the NFL. When he says....

I don't see how that is not a 1st round QB. Granted, the ACL is an issue, possibly push him down to the third round... but it happened in November & he should be ready to go for the combine... I would think, & ready for contact when the season starts.

But most of the posts in this draft are before the ACL & we're slotting him for the 3rd round. After the ACL, it's "well, maybe he'll get picked up as an UDFA"

I'd be thrilled if the Texans were to draft elite talent at other positions with our first two picks, or parlay those two into 4 day one starters, then get Aaron Murray in the third. I would have the same expectations of him as I would with any of the QBs taken in Rounds 1 & 2.

The guys who watch the draft have been saying this is going to be a good year for QB, there's no "Andrew Luck" but there are a lot of Mat Ryans. & from what I'm seeing, that's exactly what we have here.

Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, McCarron, Murray, & Fales..... I'd be happy with any of those six as I believe they have just as good a shot as any to be a franchise QB.

& I'd like to come away with Logan Thomas, but that's more of a project.
I think the highlighted is too optimistic.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I think the highlighted is too optimistic.

Maybe

Old 02-11-2014   #30
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's cut to the chase .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

I would rather be on the side of Watt and Clowney.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Let's cut to the chase .

Man, college QB's really pickup some great tail.

Whoda thunk it
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Man, college QB's really pickup some great tail.

Whoda thunk it
Yep ... it must really suck to be a college QB .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Let's cut to the chase .

This is supposed to be a thread about Aaron Murray the QB. I appreciate the pic of the hot chick, but it has nothing to......

Oh... I didn't see him standing there.

Carry on.
Old 02-12-2014   #35
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

That's Christian Ponder. Just FYI
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #36
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
That's Christian Ponder.

Welp, there goes the Moneyball hot girlfriend theory.
Old 02-12-2014   #37
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
[IMG]...jpg[/IMG]
Same girl, different guy.
Old 02-12-2014   #39
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Murray does a lot of things well but he doesn't do anything great. To me, he fits in the Colt McCoy/Kirk Cousins/Matt Barkley department as far as physical skills go. I see a NFL backup QB. He seems intelligent, but not intelligent enough to make up for his physical limitations at the next level.

I don't like his size. His arm is meh. It's good enough for the NFL but what he lacks in arm strength he doesn't make up for anywhere else. He gets a lot of passes batted down at the line. He needs a clean pocket for any throw longer than 15 yards. He's accurate but not amazingly accurate. His ball gets where it's going but there is no zip. He plays in a pro style offense and makes good pre snap reads but takes way too long going through his progressions if his first guy is covered.

He has good mechanics. He has a smooth delivery, a quick release, and good footwork. He has good enough feet to avoid the rush and buy time. By all accounts he is a great leader and a film junkie. He didn't put any absolutely terrible games on tape this year but his performance against Vanderbilt was not pretty. His games last year against South Carolina and Florida were pathetically bad.

I have a 4th round grade on him. I think he is mentally and physically capable of being an effective backup QB, especially in a west coast system. I would not want him to be my starter. He appears to have a very high floor but a very low ceiling. He just looks average to me.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Murray... is a great leader and a film junkie....
Yeah, what I take away. I think he's a competitor who seems to have the mental capability to run OB's system but question the speed of decision making. Wish he was Ponder's size.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read