Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
PHILLYTEXANFAN
All Pro

Rep Power: 30934 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Randy Gregory fails drug test at combine

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/580951888620691458

If he falls , gotta take him at 16 imo. In fact you run to the podium.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 247916 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Randy Gregory fails drug test at combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/580951888620691458

If he falls , gotta take him at 16 imo. In fact you run to the podium.
Knowing he's gonna miss at least 4 games?
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
PHILLYTEXANFAN
All Pro

Rep Power: 30934 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Knowing he's gonna miss at least 4 games?
What's 4 games??!! Beckham junior missed his first 4. Justin Houston fell in the draft over the same type of deal. You wouldn't want JH? If I'm not mistaken its your second time your busted your suspended
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 247916 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's 4 games??!! Beckham junior missed his first 4. Justin Houston fell in the draft over the same type of deal. You wouldn't want JH? If I'm not mistaken its your second time your busted your suspended
First off we aren't talking Justin Houston, we're talking Randy Gregory. I just asked you the question.

I've heard lots of mixed reviews on Gregory and haven't made up my mind about him, but I doubt I would run to the podium without knowing who else was available
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 533725 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's 4 games??!!
No biggie.

Signed,
Josh Gordon

It bothers me more than ordinary drug test failures when players are dumb enough or to habitual to get popped at the combine. It's a set date for a multi-million dollar interview and you can't keep straight.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
PHILLYTEXANFAN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No biggie.

Signed,
Josh Gordon

It bothers me more than ordinary drug test failures when players are dumb enough or to habitual to get popped at the combine. It's a set date for a multi-million dollar interview and you can't keep straight.
Gordon is the exception not the rule. Ask Justin Houston and all the other hundreds of players who got their act together. And here I'll throw you another one Blackmon, Gordon, and Pacman jones are all knuckle heads, who were or are on crappy teams with no real leadership or guidance. JH seems to be doing fine, Pacman got it together in Cincy. Jimmy smith had red flags and doing fine in Baltimore. Team leadership plays a big role in dealing with those guys
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 533725 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

As I said, I consider at the combine worse than ordinary. Not saying I wouldn't take him, but I would knock him down significantly.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 168732 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As I said, I consider at the combine worse than ordinary. Not saying I wouldn't take him, but I would knock him down significantly.
Down to 16

No problem says

Houston
Sapp
Moss
Irvin

ETC.....
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17295 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...bine-drug-test

The thing that worries me is that he says he is done smoking and he's not going to do it again... yet admits he smoked in December and tested positive in January and April 2014. His "statement" screams that he's just sorry he got caught.

I'd hate to have a Josh Gordon type on our team who is awesome when he plays but keeps getting himself suspended due to being a knucklehead.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 218440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/sto...ijuana-combine

Quote:
Gregory maintained that he has not used drugs other than marijuana. He also said he has a new support system around him and is being regularly drug tested.

In addition, former New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards has agreed to mentor him, he said. (Edwards is an NFL analyst for ESPN.)

Gregory will enter the NFL in the first stage of the league's substance abuse program.
Saying the right things and doing the right things...hopefully he does both.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 168732 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Down to 16

No problem says

Houston
Sapp
Moss
Irvin

ETC.....
BTW, I wouldn;t pick Gregory. Not because he smokes weed but because I think he's lying about the last time he smoke .weed and he enters the NFL with 1 strike.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 193340 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No biggie.

Signed,
Josh Gordon

Yup. It's not the smoking weed that bothers me. It's the extreme stupidity getting popped at the combine. The combine dates are determined months beforehand, if not longer. The dude's either a habitual user or a complete dumbass. I'm leaner towards the latter.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 196584 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gregory actually has a pretty bad history with marijuana. The Nebraska fans that I know actually aren't that sad to see him go, despite his talent.

He has anxiety issues and literally smokes every day because he says it keeps him calm. He claims that he's over that but then fails this test at the biggest job interview of his life.

This kid is definitely in the "Josh Gordon" category of users. Maybe he gets a handle on it, but I'm not sure I would want to bet my 1st round pick on it. This isn't some guy that smoked once at a party and it was still in his system at the combine. He's a daily user.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 150042 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't even take him at 16. He's a tweener that has DE height/length and OLB athleticism. However, he has a small frame and can't put on weight. He played at about 220 this past year and couldn't get over 240 for the combine.

He reminds me of Dion Jordan. He's not big enough or physical enough to stand up in the run game at the next level. I think he will eventually top out as a sub-package pass rusher on whichever team drafts him. Yes, he has great length and is a freak athlete. He was also productive in college. However, he's not good against the run and that will be magnified at the next level just like it was with Dion Jordan and Jarvis Jones.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 472020 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Random Google result...

Quote:
Length of Detection Period

No one can really say how long you will test positive for marijuana, since the rate of THC metabolism varies per individual. The amount of marijuana consumed can also alter the window of time that your body retains traces of THC.

Even still, studies provide some insight into how long the average individual will test positive for marijuana.

Occasional Users

Someone who smokes occasionally – or for the first time – will likely test positive for 1-3 days afterward, according to a review by the National Drug Court Institute (NDCI).

But by the end of 4 days, infrequent cannabis users should be safely below the 50 ng/mL threshold.

“For occasional marijuana use (or single event usage), at the 50 ng/mL cutoff level, it would be unusual for the detection of cannabinoids in urine to extend beyond 3-4 days following the smoking episode.”

Frequent Users

Studies suggest someone who smokes often can expect to test positive for around a week following last use. According to the NDCI, after 10 days, most frequent users should pass a urine test at the 50 ng/mL threshold.

“Based upon recent scientific evidence, at the 50 ng/mL cutoff concentration for the detection of cannabinoids in urine, it would be unlikely for a chronic user to produce a positive urine drug test result for longer than 10 days after the last smoking episode.”

However, there’s no guarantee that a heavy cannabis smoker will be free of THC metabolites after 10 days. Studies show it’s possible for some users to test positive for up to a month after last use.

In one extreme case, a person who reported using cannabis heavily for over 10 years managed to test positive (above 20 ng/mL limit) for up to 67 days after last use.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 437825 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Random Google result...

In one extreme case, a person who reported using cannabis heavily for over 10 years managed to test positive (above 20 ng/mL limit) for up to 67 days after last use.
But he was very mellow about it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 143002 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. How dumb to you have to be?
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184958 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I wouldn't even take him at 16. He's a tweener that has DE height/length and OLB athleticism. However, he has a small frame and can't put on weight. He played at about 220 this past year and couldn't get over 240 for the combine.

He reminds me of Dion Jordan. He's not big enough or physical enough to stand up in the run game at the next level. I think he will eventually top out as a sub-package pass rusher on whichever team drafts him. Yes, he has great length and is a freak athlete. He was also productive in college. However, he's not good against the run and that will be magnified at the next level just like it was with Dion Jordan and Jarvis Jones.
This. If you want this type player wait Tim the second round and draft Hunter. I actually think he has more upside and he is already good enough against the run for the nfl.
Old 4 Days Ago   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 308435 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

An in-depth piece on Gregory, with head-to-head comparisons to Clowney and fellow draft competitors.

Tue Apr. 14, 2015
Randy Gregory: The Next Great Edge Rusher, If…
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 472020 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
An in-depth piece on Gregory...

Randy Gregory: The Next Great Edge Rusher, If…
He's kind of a knucklehead, tweeting this after a predraft visit with Saints...
Randy Gregory @RandyGregory_7
Quote:
Idk what the big deal about new Orleans is. Seems pretty boring to me lol wrong time of year maybe??
Herm Edwards is supposed to have taken an interest in advising RG.

Interesting note: Jason Taylor played DE at 6'6", 235 lbs. and he did this...
Quote:
Career highlights and awards
6× Pro Bowl (2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)
4× All-Pro (2000, 2001, 2002, 2006)
2× First-team All-MAC (1995, 1996)
NFL Alumni Pass Rusher of the Year (2000)
2× AFC Defensive Player of the Year (2002, 2006)
2× NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman Player of the Year (2005, 2006)
AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2006)
PFWA Defensive Player of the Year (2006)
Walter Payton Man of the Year Award (2007)
NFL's all time leader in fumble return touchdowns (6)[1]
100 Sacks Club
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Career NFL statistics
Tackles: 775
Quarterback sacks: 139.5
Interceptions: 8
Passes defensed: 77
Forced fumbles: 46
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read