Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 14 for '14: Best head coaches in college football

14 for '14: Best head coaches in college football
Quote:
14. Mike Riley, Oregon State
Career record: 88-73
NFL draft picks the last five years: 9

13. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State
Career record: 45-10
NFL draft picks the last five years: 28

12. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M
Career record: 55-23
NFL draft picks the last five years: 8

11. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina
Career record: 219-79-2
NFL draft picks the last five years: 19

10. David Cutcliffe, Duke
Career record: 75-73
NFL draft picks the last five years: 2

9. Gary Patterson, TCU
Career record: 120-44
NFL draft picks the last five years: 13

8. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
Career record: 82-46
NFL draft picks the last five years: 13

7. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Career record: 160-39
NFL draft picks the last five years: 28

6. Art Briles, Baylor
Career record: 78-60
NFL draft picks the last five years: 17

5. Bill Snyder, Kansas State
Career record: 178-90-1
NFL draft picks the last five years: 7

4. David Shaw, Stanford
Career record: 34-7
NFL draft picks the last five years: 17

3. Urban Meyer, Ohio State
Career record: 128-22
NFL draft picks the last five years: 22

2. Chris Petersen, Washington
Career record: 92-12
NFL draft picks the last five years: 14

1. Nick Saban, Alabama
Career record: 170-57-1
NFL draft picks the last five years: 37
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 38001 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 14 for '14: Best head coaches in college football

No Les Miles?

123-45 (12345 lol) career record.

35 NFL draft picks the last 5 years.

I mean, he's not number 1 or anything. But not to crack the top 14?

pretty harsh.

Maybe he was 15th.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
No Les Miles?

123-45 (12345 lol) career record.

35 NFL draft picks the last 5 years.

I mean, he's not number 1 or anything. But not to crack the top 14?

pretty harsh.

Maybe he was 15th.
I think the general perception of Miles is that he's a bumbling idiot riding the the coattails of a powerful program while being just competent enough to avoid screwing it up altogether. That's not accurate or fair, but I've heard some version of that on sports radio several times. And these sorts of lists are all about perception. Personally, I think Sumlin's overrated. The next capable defense he fields will be his first.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 38001 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think the general perception of Miles is that he's a bumbling idiot riding the the coattails of a powerful program while being just competent enough to avoid screwing it up altogether. That's not accurate or fair, but I've heard some version of that on sports radio several times. And these sorts of lists are all about perception. Personally, I think Sumlin's overrated. The next capable defense he fields will be his first.
I don't doubt that had something to do with it. I think it is unfair and while I'm not especially fond of Miles - and probably wouldn't Top 5 him - the guy delivers much more often than he doesn't. His game management can be infuriating at times, but he wins.

People can claim coat tails, but I think we're far enough in LSU's history AS (After Saban) that the current credit of the program and it's recruiting dominance is owed to Miles and his staff completely.

It's been nearly a decade now and the guy doesn't get enough credit and, too often, too much of the blame.

But yes, it is about perception. And his grass-chewing one isn't going to play well for something like a coaching ranking put together by some bleacher report graduate
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

snyder should be first. what he has done at kstate is incredible.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FWIW Sumlin has been playing with Mike Sherman's hand me downs. I'm going to judge his defense starting this year and next, not with the past two. Besides, the 2012 A&M defense was solid in all but one game. They held Alabama to 23 or 24, LSU to the same, Florida to 20, etc. Last year was a bunch of undersized freshmen playing against big hog SEC O-lines.

Either way, if that defense doesn't improve soon, someone has some explaining to do. The recruiting classes that are being reeled in by A&M right now offer zero excuse for anything short of excellence in the future.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My perception is that he is and hires excellent recruiters, but he isn't much of a game manager.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Two former UH head coach. Gosh, I hope they can spend more money to keep good coach/s in the future.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking Franklin, the guy that replaces OB at Penn St. May get some considerations down the road.

The job he did at Vandy was really good.
Penn St will play four good teams this year (with 3 of those games at home.)

If they win the first one at home against UCF, it will be a good start.
If they win on the road against Michigan, watch out.

That would set up two big games vs Ohio St and Michigan St.

They still don't have enough depth, so staying healthy is the key.

We'll see how things shake out, but I have Penn St as the dark horse that can challenge for the division.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read