Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default players worthy of taking around 1.13

That could possibly be available. I say 13 because that is currently where we are at. Looks like the highest we could hope for is 11 but more likely around 13 to 15. Mariota seems to be locked in at the top so I left him out. Williams USC as well. This is really just to get conversation going on what kind of talent might be available when we are up. I'm behind on defense so you guys need to throw your defensive picks in the conversation, as well any names offensively you think should be in the conversation.

* indicates underclassman
QB

*Connor Cook 6-4, 220 4.90 Michigan State
Bryce Petty 6-3, 230 4.70 Baylor

If we want QB with our first pick this is our best case scenario. Cook is an * underclassman and if he does declare most likely wont be around when we are picking. If it's him you want a trade up is your best bet. Please don't even try and suggest Winston.

RB
Gurley would of been the only RB I would of considered top 15. Torn ACL kills that thought.

WR

Amari Cooper 6-1, 205 4.55 Alabama
Kevin White 6-2, 210 4.50 West Virginia

TE

None worth taking this high.

OT
Brandon Scherff 6-5, 320 5.15 Iowa
*Ronnie Stanley 6-5, 315 5.15 Notre Dame
La'el Collins 6-5, 315 5.15 LSU
*Andrus Peat 6-6, 315 5.25 Stanford

OG, OC

Help me out here. I haven't gotten into film of the interior line yet.

On defense the only players I feel confident mentioning at this point are

3/4 DE possibly 3/4 OLB????

*Shawn Oakman 6-7, 275 4.90 Baylor

3/4 OLB

*Shane Ray 6-3, 245 4.60 Missouri
*Shaq Thompson 6-2, 225 4.65 Washington
*Randy Gregory 6-5, 245 4.65 Nebraska

ILB

Denzel Perryman 5-11, 240 4.75 Miami

I think he is a 3 down ILB. Bah disagrees. Bah's a really good talent evaluator but it's my list so .

S

*Landen Collins 6-0, 215 4.55 Alabama

CB

I don't scout CB's or safety's much. Just to hard to find enough tape that focuses on them.

DT
?????? I like Shelton but not this early.
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91474 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: players worthy of taking around 1.13

Keep an eye on Sammie Coates WR Auburn. With the immediate success of this year's WR draft class I bet he shoots up the draft boards. His measurables should be off the chart. With today's NFL elite WR could easily become the second most important position on the team. Coates is 6'2" has been clocked in the 4.3s with a 44" vertical.

And he's a damn fine human being http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...mmies-strength
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

DeVante Parker -WR
Tj Clemmings -OT
Benardrick McKinney -ILB/OLB

Are guys that are on my list at 13 in addition to the ones you listed. (Great list, BTW)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
Keep an eye on Sammie Coates WR Auburn. With the immediate success of this year's WR draft class I bet he shoots up the draft boards. His measurables should be off the chart. With today's NFL elite WR could easily become the second most important position on the team. Coates is 6'2" has been clocked in the 4.3s with a 44" vertical.

And he's a damn fine human being http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...mmies-strength
Coates has the speed to stretch a defense. He needs work on learning the route tree and how to great in and out of his breaks though. He does have unbelirvable talent though.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115980 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Coates has the speed to stretch a defense. He needs work on learning the route tree and how to great in and out of his breaks though. He does have unbelirvable talent though.
Incredible physical specimen, but whoever drafts him has their work cut out for them molding him into a great player. He has inconsistent hands and does most of his damage running vertical and beating DB's with pure speed. He runs a small variance of routes and needs to expand his route tree and improve his routes. He also doesn't go over the middle of the field much.

He really reminds me of Darrius Heyward-Bey although he is more physical and better at winning contested balls in the air.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DeVante Parker -WR
Tj Clemmings -OT
Benardrick McKinney -ILB/OLB

Are guys that are on my list at 13 in addition to the ones you listed. (Great list, BTW)
Thought about Parker and McKinney alot. Parker especially. I'm going to have to checkout Clemmons. Just haven't had the time this year to do my normal scouting. I've worked more overtime this year than the last two years combined. Taking the rest of the year off.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Incredible physical specimen, but whoever drafts him has their work cut out for them molding him into a great player. He has inconsistent hands and does most of his damage running vertical and beating DB's with pure speed. He runs a small variance of routes and needs to expand his route tree and improve his routes. He also doesn't go over the middle of the field much.

He really reminds me of Darrius Heyward-Bey although he is more physical and better at winning contested balls in the air.
beat me to it. agree with all of this.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post

Didn't know that about him. Haven't read anything about this years prospects. Haven't had time. Thanks for the link.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

weapons & speed @ skill positions.

really wanted OT last year, DT this year but fate may be best fit is to face reality & transition from the Andre Johnson era. Hop is an excellent #2 but just like @ Clemson he played second fiddle to Sammy Watkins. So with that said, three stand out & should be available, to further reviewed as to top among them.

13a. Kevin White, West Virginia, 6027 211
13b. Jaelen Strong, Arizona State, 6030 205
13c. DeVante Parker, Louisville, 6025 207

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, I would scratch Landon Collins and Denzel Perryman off that list, neither is worth #13. Collins is great against the run but lacks good pass coverage skills, and Perryman is too small for NFL ILB especially in the 1st round.

I'd add P.J. Williams-CB from Florida St. and Trae Waynes-CB from Michigan St., maybe Marcus Peters-CB from Washington but he's got off the field issues, and Ekpre-Olomu-CB from Oregon but he lacks size. Also add Eddie Goldman-DT from Florida St.

If I'm the Texans I'd target Connor Cook at #13 if he goes pro, and if not then either Williams or Waynes, White or Parker, Ray and a strong case can be made for Goldman.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't know anything about Connor Cook, but I don't think I'm interested in Petty. I like the guy, but I am beginning to think Art Briles could make me look like a good QB. Once his guys hit the pros, it doesn't seem to translate so well. Petty is a helluva athlete, though. So I reserve the right to forget this post after the combine.
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66838 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking for us to go O-line or Secondary in the first round.

No QB's worth a look in the first except Mariota and he will be gone.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Petty seems like a great kid so I'm rooting for him, but I don't think there is any way he is drafted in the first two rounds.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys who I think are guaranteed to be off the board by then:

QB - *Marcus Mariota, Oregon
WR - Kevin White, West Virginia
WR - *Amari Cooper, Alabama
OT - *Andrus Peat, Stanford
DE - *Leonard Williams, USC
DE - *Shawn Oakman, Baylor
OLB - *Randy Gregory, Nebraska

That's seven. So then you're picking from this group, and five of them will be off the board:

WR - DeVante Parker, Louisville
WR - *Jaelen Strong, Arizona St
DE/NT - *Malcom Brown, Texas
NT - *Eddie Goldman, Florida St
OLB - *Shane Ray, Missouri
OLB - Alvin Dupree, Kentucky
OLB - *Dante Fowler, Florida
ILB - *Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi St
ILB - *Shaq Thompson, Washington (I love this guy but he's probably not on our board, doesn't have a fit in our defense)
CB - *P.J. Williams, Florida St
CB - *Trae Waynes, Michigan St
FS - *Gerod Holliman, Louisville

These are some guys who may not be considered "worthy" of that pick but due to their position you take them if you need one:

QB - Garrett Grayson, Colorado St (I know I'm the only one who would draft him in the first but I'm listing him anyway)
QB - *Connor Cook, Michigan St
OT - *Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
OT - Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St
OT - Jake Fisher, Oregon
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115980 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't think Holliman will go 1st round. Yea, his INT numbers are phenomenal, but his all around game is just not all that great. He has decent size and good instincts, but he's not a great athlete and he absolutely cannot tackle. He seems like purely a single high deep safety who plays over the top in deep zone coverage, and yea those guys can be useful, but they also are not versatile. He's not a guy I want in the box or lining up in the slot.

I've seen him compared to Ed Reed because of his ball skills and playmaking skills with the ball in the air, but Reed could also tackle, force fumbles, rush the passer, cover TE's, and cover man-to-man. Holliman doesn't do all that.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

That's seven. So then you're picking from this group, and five of them will be off the board:

ILB - *Shaq Thompson, Washington (I love this guy but he's probably not on our board, doesn't have a fit in our defense)

These are some guys who may not be considered "worthy" of that pick but due to their position you take them if you need one:

QB - Garrett Grayson, Colorado St (I know I'm the only one who would draft him in the first but I'm listing him anyway)
OT - Jake Fisher, Oregon
What do you think of Malcolm Brown?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

OT - Jake Fisher, Oregon
Great job of giving an overview.

Here's what I hope happens in this draft, but with Rick Smith in charge I know it wont.

Rd.1 Parker
Rd.2 Hopefully one of Sambraillo/Clemmings/Fisher/Stanley fall to the 2nd rd.
Rd. 3 Rashard Greene

4. Sign Virgil Greene in FA on the cheap and in 1 draft you've fixed most of the problems with this offense. If you believe Mallett is the future at QB. These weapons add with Hopkins/Foster would rival the weapons that the Pats/Packers/Cowgirls have.
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OT - Jake Fisher, Oregon
Parker, Waynes, or Fisher from that list. The prospect of AJ, Hopkins, and Parker just makes me grin. Waynes fills a hole in the secondary, IMO. Fisher is a little less of a need with Newton getting better, but I still think he's an awesome talent.
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Parker, Waynes, or Fisher from that list. The prospect of AJ, Hopkins, and Parker just makes me grin. Waynes fills a hole in the secondary, IMO. Fisher is a little less of a need with Newton getting better, but I still think he's an awesome talent.
If AJ doesn't take a pay cut WR (Parker) becomes a major need as well as a top flight slot guy.
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
If AJ doesn't take a pay cut WR (Parker) becomes a major need as well as a top flight slot guy.
And if he does take a pay cut, Parker becomes a transitional pathway. Part of the reason we suffer at so many positions is the lack of planning by Rick Smith. If you plan to build and maintain a team through the draft, you need to keep the guys you develop whenever possible, and plan for their departure when it isn't. Smith has done a piss poor job on both fronts, IMO. So I wouldn't have any heartburn about taking a WR no matter what the situation on AJ ends up being.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read