Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-25-2014   #121
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans compensatory picks 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
All depends on WHO we draft. Remember the "Mario" comp pick was used on Sam Montgomery last year.

Sorry to be a buzzkill
Yeah, they can't afford to make those kinds of picks again. Not sure who was the one behind that pick (Wade, Smith, Kubes, etc) or if it was a consensus pick among the group, but that was a killer. I know last year was a bad year for LB's (weak class) but that pick made me sick! What a waste! Just can't do that again.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #122
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad I was finally wrong about something! Hope that Rick Smith can actually do something with a comp pick besides blow it.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #123
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So we get Mr. Irrelevant again? Cool.

Could he be the QB pick? lol
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #124
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
All depends on WHO we draft. Remember the "Mario" comp pick was used on Sam Montgomery last year.

Sorry to be a buzzkill
I wouldn`t really call it buzzkill. We took a chance with that pick. We got a guy that many believed had 1st round talent but some character issues. I don`t have a problem with selecting a guy like that with a comp. pick. Of course, it sucks when it doesn`t pan out - but any high to midround pick that doesn`t pan out sucks.

I am a little surprised we got a 4th in there, but IŽll take it. Let`s fill some holes this draft...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #125
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 Compensatory Picks

Texans get 3:

l
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #126
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is what would we have gotten if we had not signed Ed Reed, and what pick did Baltimore get because we signed him?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #127
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow a 4th? blows me away. Thought we'd get a 5th as highest. So we now have three 6ths. I can smell a trade up using our own.
Old 03-25-2014   #128
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
My question is what would we have gotten if we had not signed Ed Reed, and what pick did Baltimore get because we signed him?
Based on what I was seeing in several estimates, he probably cancelled out a 5th round compensatory pick. I've also seen Ravens boards indicating that their 5th round pick was compensation for Reed (3rd for Kruger, 4th for Ellerbe, 4th for Williams, 5th for Reed).

So, probably you could roughly consider that the pick 35 in round 5, number 175 overall, was what we gave to Baltimore in order to sign Ed Reed.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #129
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
It appears that Baltimore got a 3rd for Paul Kruger 8.1 APY, a 4th for Dannell Ellerbe 7.2 APY, a 4th for Cary Williams 5.66 APY, and a 5th for Ed Reed 5 APY.

Some other notable players compensatory picks I can see given the info:

New England got the lowest 4th for Welker - 6m APY

Detroit 4ths for Cliff Avril 6.5 APY and Gosder Cherilus 6.9 APY. Cherilus being the highest 4th.

Jets 4th for Laron Landry - 6 APY

Packers got a 3rd for Greg Jennings 9.5 APY and the last 5th for Walden 4 APY

Steelers got a 3rd for Mike Wallace 12 APY, the highest 5th for Keenan Lewis 5.1 APY, and the lowest 6th for Mendenhall 2.5 APY.

49ers got the lowest 3rd for Dashon Goldson at 8.25 APY.

I point out the highest and lowest of each bracket because the formula is not public, and there are some things that are affecting it besides total value of the contract. Wes Welker's deal was 6m APY, but he's the cutoff for the bottom of the 4th round pick bracket. The next contract down is Steelers' Lewis with 5.1m APY, and he is rated a 5th. So we could look at that and clearly see the cutoff between 4th and 5th this year was between 6m and 5.1 APY.

We can also see Walden at 4m APY netted the final 5th. However, the Jets got the first two 6ths for Mike Devito 4.2 APY and Dustin Keller 4.25m APY. So there's a blurry line there, probably based on snap counts or performance.

Cherilus is the highest 4th at 6.9m, which puts the line between 3rd and 4th somewhere around the 7.5m APY range.

Just some interesting stuff to nerds...
Old 03-27-2014   #130
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Hope that Rick Smith can actually do something with a comp pick besides blow it.
Are you saying that Rick Smith blew Sam Montgomery?
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #131
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Are you saying that Rick Smith blew Sam Montgomery?
Maybe it was the other way around. That would explain alot.
Old 03-27-2014   #132
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Maybe it was the other way around. That would explain alot.
Question is, how many picks will Rick blow this year...and will he be able to stop himself from doing it?
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #133
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Question is, how many picks will Rick blow this year...and will he be able to stop himself from doing it?
I have my doubts.

Even though picking at the top of each rd means Rick should easily be able to add 4 players.

Rd.1 Clowney
Rd.2 Garappolo
Rd.3 James
Rd.3 after trading a 4th and 5th Jaylen Watkins
Rd.4 comp pick Justin Ellis
Rd. 6. Max Bullough
Rd.6 Dri Archer
Rd.7 Matt Patchan
Rd. 7 Dez Southward

Fills positions of need and adds much needed team speed. Rick could only hope to do this well.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #134
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO the best part about the compensatory picks is the flexibility it gives. i'm of the mind the more picks you have the better, even if it's a bunch of 7th rounders, and adding 3 selections is a huge bonus. however, these picks allow us to trade our natural picks to move up and down the middle rounds. if we could find some miracle to trade out of the first overall, we'd have some serious firepower in what looks like a very deep and talented class to target specific players - and a lot of them.
Old 03-27-2014   #135
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
IMO the best part about the compensatory picks is the flexibility it gives. i'm of the mind the more picks you have the better, even if it's a bunch of 7th rounders, and adding 3 selections is a huge bonus. however, these picks allow us to trade our natural picks to move up and down the middle rounds. if we could find some miracle to trade out of the first overall, we'd have some serious firepower in what looks like a very deep and talented class to target specific players - and a lot of them.
I've given some serious thought to this idea as well since there is so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but the problem I have with it is that this is a QB driven league and I don't want to lose out on Teddy Bridgewater. This guys got the skill, intelligence, and work ethic/drive to get better, and a good QB is worth more than quality players at alot of other positions.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #136
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 132152 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I've given some serious thought to this idea as well since there is so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but the problem I have with it is that this is a QB driven league and I don't want to lose out on Teddy Bridgewater. This guys got the skill, intelligence, and work ethic/drive to get better, and a good QB is worth more than quality players at alot of other positions.
i have zero problem with this line of thinking. if the coaches feel that bridgewater or another quarterback is "the man" and wants him ... it would be idiotic to trade back and risk losing the single most important player they could have. being an armchair GM, i dont feel that way. i think the 3rd+ round qb's have as much or more potential than the first rounders. one of the mid rounders has 2 championships, and a late rounder would enter the league as the prototype (size, cannon, legs, and intelligence). either way, first overall or 7th round would need to sit a year before starting.

since we have 3 quarterbacks on the roster, all of which have half a season or more of starting experience, i'm perfectly content with going into 2014 with our "quarterback of the future" coming from a more targeted position than first overall. trade back and give me those extra picks, especially at rookie salaries to bolster a roster changeover. let me use those compensatory picks as a safety net as i maneuver up and down the charts to get specific players best fitted to this team - or even better, hedging my bets by trading again and having the highest number of picks.
Old 03-30-2014   #137
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ory-picks.html

Lots of math warning
Old 04-06-2014   #138
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

GBNreport tracking signings with an eye for next year compensatory picks

http://gbnreport.com/freeagentscoreboard.html
Old 04-06-2014   #139
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
GBNreport tracking signings with an eye for next year compensatory picks

http://gbnreport.com/freeagentscoreboard.html
Great Blue North was my first "draft" website ever. Great stuff.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read