Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-05-2014   #1
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who makes the biggest impact?

We've hashed over our favorite players ad nauseum. I don't want to turn this into another qb thread, let's agree that is the most important position and put it aside for now. Keeping in mind that O'Brien has stated he values intelligent, versatile and hard working individuals, who it the one player that embodies that the most for the Texans? We know where the major holes are and know we need depth everywhere, but which ONE player can help this team the most?
Old 04-05-2014   #2
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

QB talk in 3, 2, 1...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who makes the biggest impact?

I suspect I will be alone or close to it on this but ILB.
Old 04-05-2014   #4
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think that's a decent call actually.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it has to be either ILB or NT.
Old 04-05-2014   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

currently Texans do not have a starting caliber NT, DE (opposite Watt), ILB (next to Cushing) RT have no freaking clue but willing to roll out with Fitzpatrick & develop a QB if taken later in the draft. that about sums it up. so highest order is probably DE to replace Antonio Smith who fits into Crennel system http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...0-80c5aae06c0f having said all that my one player is Aaron Donald! Difference between the two is Donald kicks inside while Clowney would kick outside.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

OT... if we grab a guy like Greg Robinson, not only does he fill a major hole at RT, but he's excellent depth in the event Duane Brown suffers another turf toe (or worse) injury.

Fixing that one spot will help our QB perform better, our RB perform better & allow our WRs more time to get open.

We'll be able to pick up 3rd & short on the ground, as well as having the option to throw the ball. Same for 4th & 1 and in the red zone.

We'll be able to stay on the field longer, improve our scoring efficiency, which will help our defense stay fresh & pressure the opposing team to score.
Old 04-05-2014   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
OT... if we grab a guy like Greg Robinson, not only does he fill a major hole at RT, but he's excellent depth in the event Duane Brown suffers another turf toe (or worse) injury.

Fixing that one spot will help our QB perform better, our RB perform better & allow our WRs more time to get open.

We'll be able to pick up 3rd & short on the ground, as well as having the option to throw the ball. Same for 4th & 1 and in the red zone.

We'll be able to stay on the field longer, improve our scoring efficiency, which will help our defense stay fresh & pressure the opposing team to score.
I don't quite see the OT making the biggest impact without counting on injury to Brown, and I'm not willing to make that assumption

Last edited by JB; 04-05-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 123395 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone that can pressure the QB; OLB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Someone that can pressure the QB; OLB.
I can see that, tho not sure that is the biggest impact if we can't plug the middle
Old 04-05-2014   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
We've hashed over our favorite players ad nauseum. I don't want to turn this into another qb thread, let's agree that is the most important position and put it aside for now. Keeping in mind that O'Brien has stated he values intelligent, versatile and hard working individuals, who it the one player that embodies that the most for the Texans? We know where the major holes are and know we need depth everywhere, but which ONE player can help this team the most?
O'Brien is different from most coaches?

Most coaches like stupid/one dimensional/lazy players?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can see that, tho not sure that is the biggest impact if we can't plug the middle
Agreed,

That's what the Powe signing and I'm sure that Smith will pick another NT in rds 4-6.
Old 04-05-2014   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
O'Brien is different from most coaches?

Most coaches like stupid/one dimensional/lazy players?
Ok, point made. Thanks for your contribution
Old 04-05-2014   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't quite see the OT making the biggest impact without counting on injury to Brown, and I'm not willing to make that assumption
If Robinson was the pick at 1-1, most of those red zone/3rd&1 woes would be solved by running behind the huge violent right side of the OL. Brooks/Robinson would be devastating.
Old 04-05-2014   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If the Texans can find their QB of the future/OL and fix the front 7 on defense including ILB then they will have had a successful draft.

It's going to take hitting on 5 picks. But if Rick Smith and the scouts do their jobs, the talent is there in this draft to fill those holes. NO EXCUSES
Old 04-05-2014   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
If Robinson was the pick at 1-1, most of those red zone/3rd&1 woes would be solved by running behind the huge violent right side of the OL. Brooks/Robinson would be devastating.

Is that more important than being able to stop the other team? Didn't we go that route in 2010 when we had a good scoring offense but couldn't stop anyone?
Old 04-05-2014   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Is that more important than being able to stop the other team? Didn't we go that route in 2010 when we had a good scoring offense but couldn't stop anyone?
Agreed

I think the best way to go is to pick the best player at 1-1. I go back and forth between Clowney/Robinson. For me it's a question of Clowney at 1-1 and JuWaun James type OT in rd 3/4.

Or Robinson at 1-1 and Marcus Smith/Trevor Reilly in the 3rd.
Old 04-05-2014   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Agreed

I think the best way to go is to pick the best player at 1-1. I go back and forth between Clowney/Robinson. For me it's a question of Clowney at 1-1 and JuWaun James type OT in rd 3/4.

Or Robinson at 1-1 and Marcus Smith/Trevor Reilly in the 3rd.

Do you think that Clowney makes a bigger impact than Mack? Or an OT makes a bigger impact than NT?
Old 04-05-2014   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you think that Clowney makes a bigger impact than Mack? Or an OT makes a bigger impact than NT?
Clowney makes a bigger impact than Mack. Although I wouldn't mind a trade down and picking Mack.

OT makes a bigger impact than NT. Beau Allen went in the 6th rd in the TT Mock draft. You could probably get him in the 5th rd and rotate Powe/Allen and have a stout defense up front if you added Clowney or Mack.

You can find an upgrade at RT in the 3rd rd. (James,Bitonio,etc....)
Old 04-05-2014   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's two separate questions, right ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read