Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2013   #21
Heath Shuler
maybe not

Section: 521
Rep Power: 34640 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 13-3

Heath Shuler says 14-2

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #22
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Our defense needs to step up against the elite offenses more than our QB does.
In my mind, this is it in a nutshell. The Ravens and the Texans scored 28 points against the Patriots last playoff season. It wasn't near enough for the Texans. But it was plenty for the Ravens since they won by 15 ...IN Foxboro I might add.
baby... THAT'S what will take this team to the Super Bowl.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #23
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of question marks for this defense. JJo on the decline, questionable safety pla, questionable pass rush outside of Watt.

On the other hand, we do have some improvements including another year under Mercilus/Reed/Watt's belt, improved play from Mitchell, return of Cushing. Interesting to see how this will all play out.
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #24
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the Packers 6 losses last season, their offense was held to an average of 22.7 points.

In the Patriots 5 losses last season, their offense was held to an average of 23.6 points.

Against us, both teams broke 40 points (the Pats twice).

Sure, it would be nice if Schaub was an elite QB and he can go toe-to-toe with Brady and Rodgers... but he isn't, nobody is saying he is. Our defense needs to step up against the elite offenses more than our QB does.

Schaub wasnt able to post points against New Orleans either. Oh wait. I think sometimes people lose context when looking back.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #25
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Tough to envision them experiencing only 3 losses, but they should win more than they lose.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #26
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
In the Packers 6 losses last season, their offense was held to an average of 22.7 points.

In the Patriots 5 losses last season, their offense was held to an average of 23.6 points.

Against us, both teams broke 40 points (the Pats twice).

Sure, it would be nice if Schaub was an elite QB and he can go toe-to-toe with Brady and Rodgers... but he isn't, nobody is saying he is. Our defense needs to step up against the elite offenses more than our QB does.
Even if Schaub was the BEST IN THE WORLD, we would STILL need our defense to do this. 83 points vs. one team in 2 games don't equal a champion.

Really need our defense to show out, Schaub be damned. Even if he's flawless for 19 games, I can't say I'm confident if it's 38-35 with 1:48 to go vs. Rodgers or Kaepernick in the Super Bowl and our defense has been "ehh" all night.
Old 09-06-2013   #27
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 2075 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This sums it up for me as well, nicely said! Schaub needs to step it up, but so does the D. Giving up 40+ to the great teams doesn't exactly help the offense win those games.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2013   #28
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Lance Z this morning predicted 10-6. That was a bit lower than I expected from him, and I think it's on the lower side of being within the target area. I have them at 12-4 myself, but I could see as low as 10 and as high as 13.

Frankly, I trust the football acumen of Lance more than I do McClain so his 10-6 has me just a tad worried that I have over-predicted how good this team is. We'll see.
I think both of them are a waste of radio time, like Nick and Josh on 610.

I think the Texans will go 12-4.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #29
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post
This sums it up for me as well, nicely said! Schaub needs to step it up, but so does the D. Giving up 40+ to the great teams doesn't exactly help the offense win those games.
Matt just needs to not make stupid decisions. He doesn't have the ability to win an NFL game, but does have the ability to lose one. Let those who surround him do their job and don't screw it up ... that's his job. The secondary needs to make a definite improvement for the Texans to have a real chance at going farther.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #30
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

6-10 then draft Derek Carr in the 1st round.

This message board implodes!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised I haven't seen a 9-7 predicted yet.

Well then, allow me to be the first. Injuries will take a heavy toll, and nobody ever takes that into account.

John McClane doesn't believe they will go 13-3 any more than I do.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #32
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8237 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying 9-7 since the schedule was announced. This team has too many question marks to finish 13-3. I think the end of last season really sent out a lot of red flags to anyone with a hint of sanity about our team.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #33
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

11-5
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #34
potisyourfriend
All Pro

Rep Power: 1624 potisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respectedpotisyourfriend is a quality contributor and well respected

Was he able to say 13-3 without having to suck in 100 cubic feet of air? Bonus would be without mentioning a movie he was in for 2 seconds?
My lame Z build
My lame youtube channel
potisyourfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #35
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Lance Z this morning predicted 10-6. That was a bit lower than I expected from him, and I think it's on the lower side of being within the target area. I have them at 12-4 myself, but I could see as low as 10 and as high as 13.

Frankly, I trust the football acumen of Lance more than I do McClain so his 10-6 has me just a tad worried that I have over-predicted how good this team is. We'll see.
I think that's a good call. I'm going with 9-7 but it's not all gloom and doom as I think we'll still win our division and actually make it one game further in the playoffs. The defense is a particular worry. As good as JJo and Kareem are, they're still not good enough to cover for 5 seconds if we get no pass rush, and there's not much pass rush unless Watt is on form.

Still, looking forward to the season no matter how it turns out
Old 09-09-2013   #36
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by potisyourfriend View Post
Was he able to say 13-3 without having to suck in 100 cubic feet of air? Bonus would be without mentioning a movie he was in for 2 seconds?
He got the '13' out.... then dozed off,

the '3' came out ~20 minutes later.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #37
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He's got us averaging 28 ppg (which will probably be about right) & giving up 18 ppg (I'm hoping we don't give up that much but we'll see).
If Keo remains at safety we will be lucky..chuck and duck from our front 7.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #38
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
6-10 then draft Derek Carr in the 1st round.

This message board implodes!
Would this mean the return of Hulk75?
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #39
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
I think that's a good call. I'm going with 9-7 but it's not all gloom and doom as I think we'll still win our division and actually make it one game further in the playoffs. The defense is a particular worry. As good as JJo and Kareem are, they're still not good enough to cover for 5 seconds if we get no pass rush, and there's not much pass rush unless Watt is on form.

Still, looking forward to the season no matter how it turns out
My pessimistic side agrees with this, but I'd lean more towards 10-6. I wasn't happy with our pass rush last season (besides Watt), which exposed our corners for too long. I don't think we can rely on Watt being the lone guy to constantly put pressure. I'm really really hoping Merci will step it up this season.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read