htowntexans1985

1st Round Pick
John McClain @ McClain_on_NFL

Texans promising G David Quessenberry
suffered a broken foot in practice and is
expected to be placed on IR. He was
drafted N the 6th round.

Not good news!

That sucks. I also heard this morning that Wade Smith may be ready to go for San Diego.

I hope it's smoke and mirror.
Perhaps the Texans are counting on Wade Smith and just need a roster spot somewhere else?

Well, that's my hope anyway.

Damn! So close to making it to first game w out any major injuries. Oh well, speedy recovery.

Had we not protected (the awful) Cody White he may have been claimed and we'd be in even worse shape now...

Damn.

Very unfortunate. And this rookie also provided depth at OT and not just guard. Long-term, he still looks a likely starter in the Texans OLine, but it's too bad he won't be there for us this year.

SoitBegins_zpsa0dce9f4.jpg

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
I can confirm that David Quessenberry did break his foot as @McClain_on_NFL reported. Broke it Monday at practice. Had been playing well.

which explains...

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 19h
Texans signing Nate Menkin to practice squad per league source

Couldn't he be on that special IR where they can return after week 8? I didn't think a broken foot could cause someone to miss a whole season. We've seen guys break legs and still play in the same year. Paging Doc Cloakndagger I suppose.

Couldn't he be on that special IR where they can return after week 8? I didn't think a broken foot could cause someone to miss a whole season. We've seen guys break legs and still play in the same year. Paging Doc Cloakndagger I suppose.

I don't know if they would want to use that on a back up O Linemen. Don't get me wrong, I am really excited for Quess in the future, but I seriously doubt he was going to be a starting force on the line this year.

I bet they hold the designation for a more significant player, if that happens.

I don't know if they would want to use that on a back up O Linemen. Don't get me wrong, I am really excited for Quess in the future, but I seriously doubt he was going to be a starting force on the line this year.

I bet they hold the designation for a more significant player, if that happens.

And of course, just as I say that, this happens.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 4m
I'm told a decision on IR hasn't been made yet. @DavidQberry could be IR/designated to return candidate. #Texans

Wade Smith has missed one game since 2008 & that was in 2008. I think we are ok but Q needed the work. As Myers is also very steady, Ben Jones will get some reps as he did last year at guard.

Damn! So close to making it to first game w out any major injuries. Oh well, speedy recovery.

This team is strong enough to survive losing a rookie offensive lineman.

Agree on both counts. Of course my first reaction was 'oh, what fresh hell is this!!!!' but after thinking about it for a few minutes I climbed off the ledge before the cameras showed up.

I loved the "next man up" thing because it was perfect for that year, especially since we went to the playoffs with so many 'next men.' However, I could live without the need for such a mantra in 2013.

Have a speedy recovery Quess!

This team is strong enough to survive losing a rookie offensive lineman.

Sure, but I have to say, this sucks. If you take the view that he was just depth, then this is no big loss at this point. That would seem to be the majority opinion, so that's cool. I do not have the same confidence in the players ahead of him on the depth chart. Wade Smith's play concerned me, and that was before his injury. Ben Jones is just not good. I am just about to the point where I don't want to see him on the field, ever. So in my view, Quessenberry was going to have a chance to continue moving up the depth chart as the season progressed.

So this sucks.

Sure, but I have to say, this sucks. If you take the view that he was just depth, then this is no big loss at this point. That would seem to be the majority opinion, so that's cool. I do not have the same confidence in the players ahead of him on the depth chart. Wade Smith's play concerned me, and that was before his injury. Ben Jones is just not good. I am just about to the point where I don't want to see him on the field, ever. So in my view, Quessenberry was going to have a chance to continue moving up the depth chart as the season progressed.

So this sucks.

Totally sucks, and right as we are gearing up for game 1 injury free. But tis life of the NFL for everyone, and we will forget about Quess soon enough and he will be upside next year. Lets just not have anymore season friggin enders. There are a few players we simply cannot afford to lose if we want to win the AFC, and this isn't one of them fortunately.

Any details on exactly what happened? This isn't another Lisfranc thing is it? ...it's just a clean, run-of-the-mill break of some metatarsal bone, right...??
bones_of_foot.jpg

Doc, give us some hope!!

“Foot fracture” is too broad a term to have any real meaning (and I believe the Texans are purposefully being vague). Most foot stress and simple fractures take anywhere from 8 to 15 weeks to get back on the game field. Others, such as multiple fractures, fractures with extensive ligament damage (including Lisfranc), fractures of the large bones of the foot such as the “heel bone” (calcaneous) can take a year or more.......much more in some cases.

ftbns_tpvw.gif

Any details on exactly what happened? This isn't another Lisfranc thing is it? ...it's just a clean, run-of-the-mill break of some metatarsal bone, right...??
bones_of_foot.jpg

Doc, give us some hope!!

Didn't see your post before posting mine.

Nice foot shots! Did you get them from the Rex Ryan archive where I got mine?:)

Sorry, but I can't give any real firm prognosis not knowing more details. As far as the Lisfranc thing..........sort of what I was referring to when I put in my parenthetical remark.........the last thing the Texans would want would be to bring up memories of that particular injury at this point in the season.

If more specific details are released, I'll try to post my impressions accordingly.

“Foot fracture” is too broad a term to have any real meaning (and I believe the Texans are purposefully being vague). Most foot stress and simple fractures take anywhere from 8 to 15 weeks to get back on the game field. Others, such as multiple fractures, fractures with extensive ligament damage (including Lisfranc), fractures of the large bones of the foot such as the “heel bone” (calcaneous) can take a year or more.......much more in some cases.
Must be one of the less desirable options...

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quessenberry said he's going on #Texans IR. Added "I'm gonna grind hard in the training room. Plan to pick up better than where I left off."

Sorry, but I can't give any real firm prognosis not knowing more details. As far as the Lisfranc thing..........sort of what I was referring to when I put in my parenthetical remark.........the last thing the Texans would want would be to bring up memories of that particular injury at this point in the season.

If more specific details are released, I'll try to post my impressions accordingly.

I trust you'll make them bright and cheery as opposed to the doom & gloom scenario... :bat:

I trust you'll make them bright and cheery as opposed to the doom & gloom scenario... :bat:

I will try........but please don't beat me, Master! The problem with foot fractures is that as you are "recovering," it is virtually impossible to try to hurry the process or to compensate the injury/discomfort , as our feet have to bear the weight of our whole body at all times. And attempting to do so, carries with it gross distortion of lower body mechanics, always negatively impacting performance. Let him heal and take rehab slowly, and hope that this is not an injury that has permanent implications, so that he can still come back to us next offseason to play a more significant role.

:spit:
It took me 15 minutes to quit laughing and get past that line to read the rest of this post.

...whew! MSR!

Anyway, I figured you might have a contact who might have shared some early prognosis info... admittedly it was a shot in the dark.

It starts all over again. I, for one, thought Quessenberry could have been a key contributor.

I will try........but please don't beat me, Master! The problem with foot fractures is that as you are "recovering," it is virtually impossible to try to hurry the process or to compensate the injury/discomfort , as our feet have to bear the weight of our whole body at all times. And attempting to do so, carries with it gross distortion of lower body mechanics, always negatively impacting performance. Let him heal and take rehab slowly, and hope that this is not an injury that has permanent implications, so that he can still come back to us next offseason to play a more significant role.

You're not trying very hard Doc... we haven't gotten to your prognosis yet & I already want to kick a puppy.

I suppose it's been awhile (an full offseason is 'awhile' for us) since the Texans have been metaphorically kicked in the groin. Quessenberry could have taken over at RG if Smith wasn't cutting it into the season imo. Much bigger loss than it looks on paper.

Get well soon, Q.

All hope is not lost - reports now that the Texans are considering a
possible return for Q during the current season. Something called an IR status with a special designation giving a team for a single player might be an option to activate a guy during the season after an initial IR declaration. But they still want to further evaluate Q medically speaking, but maybe a ray of hope for Q for 2013 ? It's on twitter per Tania Gangulia.

possible return for Q during the current season. Something called an IR status with a special designation giving a team for a single player might be an option to activate a guy during the season after an initial IR declaration. But they still want to further evaluate Q medically speaking, but maybe a ray of hope for Q for 2013 ? It's on twitter per Tania Gangulia.

Good; he can be an insurance policy for WadeSmith.

I don't think we want to use the Designated To Return for a backup lineman unless we were expecting him to take over for Wade Smith/Ben Jones at some point this year.

I don't think we want to use the Designated To Return for a backup lineman unless we were expecting him to take over for Wade Smith/Ben Jones at some point this year.

We're thin at Guard.
At what other position do we have a guy on IR that might be useful?

That is certainly the current wisdom. If Qess is placed on IRDTR, it will have to be done at the same time that he is placed on IR, which will have to be soon.

My feeling is that if the Texans IRDTR Quess, they don't expect Wade Smith to hold up (and possibly even Newton), and they are are admitting desperation. You would more expect an IRDTR to be assigned to (heaven forbid) a major injury to a player like Brown or Watt.

I had this argument last year and I don't get saving the irdtr tag for an "important" player.

2 things, what does the importance of the player have to do with anything? It's the saving of a roster spot for a few weeks that is what is needed.

Also, if that other injury never comes then you excluded a guy that could have been useful.

Worse case is if you have another injury to a guy you want to bring back and not put on IR, then you lose a 53 man roster spot. You still get the same amount of game day spots, except that player is now inactive.

Now, I get it if you have two or more injuries at the same time later on...then it becomes a case of either IR a guy to save a roster spot or keep them both on the 53 while they recover.

But if quess can return then this is exactly what the IRdtr was meant for. To basically hold an extra spot for a guy until healthy.

If Watt gets an injury that's going to keep him out 2 months in week 3, you aren't going to IR him for the year. You'll keep him on the active roster and you'll just activate one of those guys that's not normally active on game days and you'll sit Watt. Same number of game day players. 1 less healthy body on the 53.

Duane Brown just said, sorry, was quoted as saying, on Austin 1300 The Zone the Quessenberry "played with a little nasty to him."

I miss him a little more now.

We're thin at Guard.
At what other position do we have a guy on IR that might be useful?

The question shouldn't be "At what other position do we have a guy on IR that might be useful?"; the question should be "Is there anyone else on the team who may go down that we might want to stash on IR for a few weeks while they heal?" AJ, Schaub, Foster, Tate, Brown, Cushing, Watt, Antonio Smith, JJo, KJ, Either Reed, Myers, ...

All of those guys are guys I'd prefer to be able to bring back over a backup offensive lineman.

I've got no problem with leaving the option open with Q but Q's not high on my list of guys that I'd want to bring back if injured.

The question shouldn't be "At what other position do we have a guy on IR that might be useful?"; the question should be "Is there anyone else on the team who may go down that we might want to stash on IR for a few weeks while they heal?" AJ, Schaub, Foster, Tate, Brown, Cushing, Watt, Antonio Smith, JJo, KJ, Either Reed, Myers, ...

All of those guys are guys I'd prefer to be able to bring back over a backup offensive lineman.

I've got no problem with leaving the option open with Q but Q's not high on my list of guys that I'd want to bring back if injured.

That doesn't make any sense.

When Andre got hurt a few years ago and then returned late in the season there was no irdtr.

You just do what teams have always done - keep them on the 53 and activate someone else on game days.

Timing and maybe saving it for a time when you could possibly have multiple injuries makes more sense. The caliber of player you use it on is not really relevant. It's the extra roster spot you get while your guy heals that matters.

If they think quess can come back this year and help, they could just keep him on the 53 and lose the roster spot or irdtr him and gain an "extra" roster spot.

Back