Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2013   #61
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing Gets Extension

Awesome. Glad we locked up Brian Oden

Seriously, Greg Oden hasn't suited up in 4 yrs........

Brian Cushing - you 'da man!
Old 09-03-2013   #62
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Crazy as it may sound, Im somewhat indifferent. On the one hand its cool we have Cush locked up, but then the looking at it strictly as a football/business move Im not so sure I like the trend of just handing out a bunch of money after injury. Could it be a "sorry you got hurt for us, here's some money" situation? Sometimes I just wonder why the team doesn't employ the franchise tag more often, and show a little patience when a player comes back from major surgery.!
Doesn't tagging guys piss the players off, because they know they can make more money signing as a FA? So tagging a player may guarantee his services for one more season, at a relatively cheap price, but it hurts the chances of re-signing him after the season.

Also, didn't we learn anything from the Flacco situation? Waiting to extend a player could be a lot more expensive. So either way, signing too early or too late are both risky... All you can do is hope the right decision was made.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #63
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

All in all, I'd say that Brian (and his agent) got the better end of this deal. See, he's got a history, well actually two (2) histories - injury & PED. And don't get all upset and say I'm a Cushing hater here, because I'm not, Brian is one of my 3 or 4 favorite players on the whole team.
Many including our resident medical expert here have said it's going to be towards the end of this year at the earliest before we really know if Cushing has fully recovered, and maybe not until next year. And maybe he won't ever return to that prior form of pre Oct, '12 ? If you watched his preseason play closely you can see he's not near there yet. Then there's the PED thing, or atleast concerns in that area by some ?
If you are businessmen like Bob McNair and his de facto chief financial officer Rick Smith, you don't run your operation wearing rose-colored glasses with a pollyanna mentality. You've got to be hard-nosed and shrewd to manage those cap bucks as well as the Denvers, & ATLs, & San Frans, etc if you want to get all the way to the top and win it all.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #64
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
All in all, I'd say that Brian (and his agent) got the better end of this deal. See, he's got a history, well actually two (2) histories - injury & PED. And don't get all upset and say I'm a Cushing hater here, because I'm not, Brian is one of my 3 or 4 favorite players on the whole team.
Many including our resident medical expert here have said it's going to be towards the end of this year at the earliest before we really know if Cushing has fully recovered, and maybe not until next year. And maybe he won't ever return to that prior form of pre Oct, '12 ? If you watched his preseason play closely you can see he's not near there yet. Then there's the PED thing, or atleast concerns in that area by some ?
If you are businessmen like Bob McNair and his de facto chief financial officer Rick Smith, you don't run your operation wearing rose-colored glasses with a pollyanna mentality. You've got to be hard-nosed and shrewd to manage those cap bucks as well as the Denvers, & ATLs, & San Frans, etc if you want to get all the way to the top and win it all.
With those 2 concerns you go into negotiations having done your due diligence. I'm sure Bob/Rick didn't txt Cush "Hows the knee? Still off the PEDs?" and had him a big check. There's always some risk involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
You've got to be hard-nosed and shrewd to manage those cap bucks as well as the Denvers, & ATLs, & San Frans, etc if you want to get all the way to the top and win it all.
I don't know about that. None of those guys have won a Super Bowl here recently. ATL won it's first play off game in a decade last season (or something like that).

There's a lot of stuff that goes into it, but treating your players right, I think, goes a long way in the right direction.

If we are of the mind, "If the doctors cleared him, let him play." & it seems as if the Texans are, then I see no reason for the Texans not to offer Brian Cushing this contract.

If it were an Achilles..... I might have a problem, but an ACL? it may be late in the season before he's the Brian Cushing we remember, but that's good for us isn't it?

I'd hate for him to be pissed about not getting an offer at all & trying too hard. I'd rather he be that BAMF thinking about winning a Super Bowl.
Old 09-04-2013   #66
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69728 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the difference between Denver signing Peyton after multiple neck surgeries, the Falcons signing Dunta to a huge deal when it was clear he wasn't fully recovered, and Houston signing Cushing to a long term deal coming off knee surgery. Im sure if I researched it San fran has done similar deals as well.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #67
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Im sure if I researched it San fran has done similar deals as well.
Easy one - Frank Gore broke his hip and missed the last 5 games of the 2010 season and then got a contract extension before the beginning of the 2011 season.
Old 09-04-2013   #68
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see the difference between Denver signing Peyton after multiple neck surgeries, the Falcons signing Dunta to a huge deal when it was clear he wasn't fully recovered, and Houston signing Cushing to a long term deal coming off knee surgery. Im sure if I researched it San fran has done similar deals as well.
'Cak was pretty quick. That was my retort as well. Seems to have worked out pretty good too.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #69
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

This signing is good news if you believe in this organization. Not because of blind faith, but because of the following:

1. Evidence that the organization is comfortable and confident in Cushing's long term health.

2. This deal was made within the forward-looking vision of the team (including re-signing JJ Watt, and the other players the organization believes important)... We can know this because the Cushing signing was not done in distress: needing to get under the cap or cut some players, a holdout, about to lose the player if not signed (he was here through the year and the franchise tag is available to use in 2014)

3. Guaranteed money is rather small, which minimizes the risk if Cushing deteriorates as a player.

Nobody on the planet knows how well this deal will work out. He could break his neck in a freak accident tomorrow... Or, he could avoid injury, becoming a HOF LB... Or, more likely, something inbetween. Since I believe in the vision of the Texans, when I see evidence that the vision is being executed as intended, then I become more optimistic. Those of you who may be bearish on Smithiak, likely will see the execution of their plan in a negative light...
Old 09-04-2013   #70
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, Dunta never proved himself, before or after the injury, to be an All-pro caliber player. Peyton and Cushing have- so, I think, that fact alone may warrant consideration of more risk.

For the Texans, Cushing is a rare difference-maker at a position where the Texans are otherwise quite weak. That reality also strengthens the case for this deal.
Old 09-04-2013   #71
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 21m
"I'm a Texan now. I consider Houston my home." - @briancushing56 on the signing.
Retweeted by Houston Texans

Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 20m
"Having a season taken away from me was a helpless feeling. It's made me a stronger person physically & mentally." @briancushing56
Expand
Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 19m
"We definitely have a little bit of a rivalry but we're more of a duo. A two-headed monster." @briancushing56 on @JJWatt #Texans
Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 14m
"Trust me, I knew every rep, I knew every exercise. I knew what he was doing." Smith on keeping up with @briancushing56's rehab process,
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #72
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Peyton Manning is different by virtue of the Broncos having the chance to sign a HOF QB, one of the greatest. In other words the upside is so great, the payoff potentially is so big, in spite of the substantial risk it's one I can't fault the Broncos for making. And so far it looks like a good bet by Denver.
Re D-Rob, I feel like he kinda makes my case because if you followed his career after he arrived in ATL you know he was never the same player we knew when in Houston before his injury in the Raiders game. Most would now say the Falcons made a bad investment in D-Rob and we look smart letting him go.
And BTW Dunta was still in his 20s the first 2 years he was in ATL, so he should have been in his prime.
Old 09-04-2013   #73
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
"What I envision is being the clear cut best middle linebacker in the NFL." Cushing says. #Texans

"You knew right away that this guy was a special player." Rick Smith. Says Cushing still has another level to reach. #Texans

Cushing says he has a little bit of a rivalry with @JJWatt but they see themselves as a two headed monster. #Texans

Big smile from @briancushing56 as Rick Smith talks because his wife just walked in. #Texans

"Obviously this is an organization I love... I'm a Texan now, consider Houston my home. " Cushing. #Texans
Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Quote:
Cushing: sent videos to Smith of squats, box jumps on a near-weekly basis to show improvement during rehab. #Texans

Smith: I knew every rep, every excercise Cush was doing. Bc he kept me in the loop. #Texans

Smith: There's still a level to reach that Cushing hasn't gotten to yet. #Texans

"We look at ourselves as a duo. As a 2-headed monster." - @briancushing56 on playing w/ @JJWatt

"Not being able to contribute was a helpless feeling."- @briancushing56 on watching #Texans last yr while injured.

Smith: Cushing has shown us we can rely upon him, before/during/after rehab. Continued to do things he'd already done. #Texans

"I'm a Texan now. I consider Houston my home." - @briancushing56 on the signing.

Cushing: thanks to the McNairs, Rick Smith, Coach Kubiak, Coach Phillips. "This was a no-brainer."

Smith: He adds versatility, but he's a good person too. We like to build through the draft and we're excited. #Texans

Smith: #Texans agreed to terms yesterday w/Cushing for 6 more years. "Big day for the franchise."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #74
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re D-Rob, I feel like he kinda makes my case because if you followed his career after he arrived in ATL you know he was never the same player we knew when in Houston before his injury in the Raiders game. Most would now say the Falcons made a bad investment in D-Rob and we look smart letting him go.
And BTW Dunta was still in his 20s the first 2 years he was in ATL, so he should have been in his prime.
Dunta's career was not defined by his injuries. It was defined by Aaron Glenn. Dunta had a fantastic 2004 when he was constantly being coached on the sidelines by Glenn. That season built a Dunta mythology. But after Glenn left Dunta was never the same again in coverage and really only maintained his rep on big hits.
Old 09-04-2013   #75
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Rick has been pressing to get this done before the season started, as his policy is no contract negotiations during the season. Glad it worked out.
this policy needs to change one day if not already its going to come back and bite us in our Ass
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #76
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dunta's career was not defined by his injuries. It was defined by Aaron Glenn.
Now that's a very interesting thing to say there Infantrycak, and certainly a very strong claim about the kind of impact AG had on D-Rob. I need to think about that.
Old 09-04-2013   #77
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now that's a very interesting thing to say there Infantrycak, and certainly a very strong claim about the kind of impact AG had on D-Rob. I need to think about that.
I'm in agreement with I-Cak. Until J-Jo and D.Manning got here and K.Jax came into his own we haven't had anything close to the defensive back end we had when Aaron Glenn, Marcus Coleman (who was probably even better at CB than safety), and Dunta.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
this policy needs to change one day if not already its going to come back and bite us in our Ass
Well, we know he's flexible as negotiations with Schaub continued into the regular season last year.
Old 09-04-2013   #79
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

on a personal note, wooooohooo.
my one and only high dollar Texans shirt is good for another 6 years.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #80
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

BIG mistake! Not only is he extremely injury prone, he may never be 100% after last year's terrible injury. Texans get stuck with a bunch of guaranteed money against the salary cap. This is reminiscent of Schaub's long term extension that we are saddled with.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read