Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-29-2013   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default #1 pick

Who's should be take?
Old 12-29-2013   #2
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #1 pick

Teddy!
Old 12-29-2013   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

A qb.
Old 12-29-2013   #4
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Trade that pick for more picks IMO
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #6
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater!!!!

#Ready4Teddy
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down. Teddy isn't the real thing and I don't trust Clowney to live up to his abilities. I see him shutting it down whenever he sees fit.

Trade down, get more picks, and stock up from a lower spot. This isn't the year to have the top pick I don't believe.
Old 12-29-2013   #8
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80130 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching Bridgewater last night I'd have to go with him.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #9
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3089 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

is water wet?

Teddy duh
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #10
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

2 seasons in a row Teddy has dominated his bowl game......bring on the clutchness
Old 12-29-2013   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Trade down. Teddy isn't the real thing and I don't trust Clowney to live up to his abilities. I see him shutting it down whenever he sees fit.

Trade down, get more picks, and stock up from a lower spot. This isn't the year to have the top pick I don't believe.
I see this sentiment floating around from a few posters but with no further explanation. Do you mind if I ask why you think so?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
2 seasons in a row Teddy has dominated his bowl game......bring on the clutchness
Wow! I just can't tell you how impressed I am watching Vince Young dominate his bowl game.

Trade that f'king pick down.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #13
BigB0iFresh
Veteran

Rep Power: 1335 BigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

The only knock on Teddy I've heard is his size and his schedule.
BigB0iFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #14
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I see this sentiment floating around from a few posters but with no further explanation. Do you mind if I ask why you think so?
I don't know his reasoning, BUT until about 2 weeks ago I was not sold on teddy at all either. I highly questioned his ability to ZIP the ball in tight spaces. He is accurate and smart with the ball, but when the window is tight or he throws a screen, he never seemed to dart them in. They always just hung in the air. But the more I watched (and even last night he was slinging it around) the more I saw he has the ability to zip the ball. I think he just needs a better qb coach who can mold his talent a little more.
Old 12-29-2013   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt any NFL GMs worth their salt know who they would take #1 right now. There is a lot of information to gather the next four months. As boardmembers, it may be healthier to let the process happen, at least through the combine, before asserting absolute certainty regarding who should/shouldn't be drafted at #$1... not saying we shouldn't have opinions. Right now, my board looks like this:

1. Aaron Donald
2. Teddy Bridgewater
3. Matthews

** I'd like to see a trade down. Otherwise, I think I am in favor of Bridgewater, but that is subject to change. I think Aaron Donald is a beast and, based on all the draftnik baffoons, is way undervalued right now. I would absolutely avoid Clowney anywhere in the top 10.

I'm thrilled to have the 1st pick! Whether there is a clear #1 or not, under this CBA, it is a great position to be in (top 5 contracts are no longer detrimental). We get anyone we want. That's good... And, we will certainly get offers for that pick- perhaps not at the value desired, but we will have options. Also, we have the 1st pick in every other round... that's also good news! Let's get a coach hired, a staff put together, and get this off-season moving! The best thing about a disastrous season like this is that it makes for an active, entertaining off-season. So, there is that!
Old 12-29-2013   #16
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

give me clowney
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB0iFresh View Post
The only knock on Teddy I've heard is his size and his schedule.
He is too small right now! However, that is not difficult to resolve in the NFL. He'll get the time, focus in the weight room that he likely spent in class and in film study in college. Also, it is not unusual for men to begin a natural "thickening"/muscle-building growth spurt between age 22-27...

Observe Tom Brady's combine body and the body he had 3 years later.

So, I agree that his size is an issue right now. I just don't think that it will be an issue three years from now.
Old 12-29-2013   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I know you were asking Herv that, and I'll let him speak for himself. But what I saw last night, was stuff he was getting away with that he wouldn't have going against an NFL defense.

He basically reminded me of Case Keenum. Sorry, he just did.

EDIT: And NO, I don't have an issue with his size. If I did, I would have issues with Brees and Wilson, or Keenum's for that matter.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well, I know you were asking Herv that, and I'll let him speak for himself. But what I saw last night, was stuff he was getting away with that he wouldn't have going against an NFL defense.

He basically reminded me of Case Keenum. Sorry, he just did.
That's fine.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone who doesn't like Teddy. Just trying to find out what exactly it is that they don't like.

I think he's the read deal. Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Size is a concern right now for most people though. He's very thin.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't even put my finger on it and I said it. I just don't see him being "franchise-QB-level" successful in the NFL. I've watched him some, not a lot but I go through his highlight clips on Youtube and I just don't see what makes him the guy you take at 1-1. I see a guy who lights up bad defenses in a very average conference.

I think he's closer to Andre Ware than Andrew Luck. To be fair I don't see greatness in any QB coming out this year. It's not that I don't think he can't eventually be maybe "good enough". I just don't see him taking the reigns and taking off like I would expect a QB selected that high to be capable of doing.

I've said I'd take Matthews at 1-1 but if that's simply too unpalatable then I'd grab Clowney, pray that he isn't the lazy ****-off piece of **** that the little voice inside my head is warning me that he will turn out to be, and then try to move into position to get Mettenberger in the late 1st - early 2nd round.

Better than that would be to me trading down, getting a QB and a RT in the second half of the first round/top of the second round, and then working on the defense primarily from then on down.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read