Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2014   #1961
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Alex BRINK! lol!
Yeah I spitlol'd on that one, too.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #1962
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I want to hear what 76Texans has to say about these QBs. He must be neck deep in game film.
Yeah, probably will come back and try to convince us keenum is the guy. Btw, clowney ran a 7.27 in the 3 cone which was 9th among dl. As I've said b4, clowney is an explosive ,straight line athlete. Can't bend or change direction. Nothing freakish about a straight line guy.
Old 02-24-2014   #1963
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Yeah, probably will come back and try to convince us keenum is the guy. Btw, clowney ran a 7.27 in the 3 cone which was 9th among dl. As I've said b4, clowney is an explosive ,straight line athlete. Can't bend or change direction. Nothing freakish about a straight line guy.
The fact that he avoided the tackling dummie and bag drills tends to agree with your assessments. I think there is a reason he ONLY played with his hand in the dirt.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #1964
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
meh , the only thing that matters is his 40 time ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1965
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I think your preference for a more "quiet" leader is off-target in the current NFL. Most of the top ones aren't the quiet types. Sure, rah-rah can be OVERdone, but having fire isn't a flaw.
Every team needs this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZao5t7Gs6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Bridgewater is the most likely to fall because there is nothing about him physically that stands out.

Manziel has his scrambling ability, Bortles has his size. Bridgewater is average size, average arm, but he is very cerebral. Ahead of the game mentally.

The reason guys like Logan Thomas are always drafted too early is the same reason guys like Bridgewater fall. Coaches always feel they can bring Thomas up to Bridgewater's level mentally, and they know they can't bring Bridgewater up to Thomas' level physically.
Arrogance. If you want the fastest car on the street why waste your time buying a Civic and modding it to become comparable to a Corvette. Why not just buy the Vette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
If he falls out of the top 15 you have to ask yourself what does it take with the 2-1
He is not. Let's not get too overly excited about 1 guys tweets. I've seen a lot of guys 'in the know' not actually know nearly as much as they thought that they did.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1966
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I could agree with you about Manziel in the Texas media. Outside of Texas a majority of the Manziel talk has been negative.
ESPN is National. They don't broadcast SportsCenters purely targeted at Texas. ESPN has been the central story teller here. Not a couple beat writer's Tweets.

Quote:
Truth is none of what the pretend scouts, media and talking hairdos say about Bortles is true. Why the group think and talking points. They had locked on to Teddy had been for almost a year. Didn't do their homework. Didn't want to admit they had jumped the gun. Didn't want to admit they were wrong. Come May 4th the 90% will have shrunk substantially.
90% ? Clowney was the #1 pick after he blew up that Michigan RB in 2012. Not TB. You talk about people getting false information from pretend scouts and talking hairdos, yet YOU quote THEIR Tweets more than anyone when they are favorable to your argument.

No one is denying Bortles has the potential to be great. But I remember you calling him Andrew Luck earlier. Andrew Luck ran a 4.5 (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ewtons-40-time), NOT a 4.93. You can't call everyone a fake when they disagree then give yourself a reprieve every time you make something up.

Nice Try.... Nolan Nawrocki.

Last edited by TexansFTW; 02-26-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2014   #1967
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Andrew Luck ran a 4.5, NOT a 4.93. You can't call everyone a fake when they disagree then give yourself a reprieve every time you make something up.

Nice Try.... Nolan Nawrocki.
Speaking of making something up, let's try and get it right, Luck's official 40 was 4.66 NOT 4.5. So yes, over the course of a 40 yd sprint Andrew Luck is a step faster than Blake Bortles. So, Bortles still runs a lot like Luck he's only a step slower at doing it.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2014   #1968
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 4940 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every team needs this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZao5t7Gs6M

Arrogance. If you want the fastest car on the street why waste your time buying a Civic and modding it to become comparable to a Corvette. Why not just buy the Vette?

He is not. Let's not get too overly excited about 1 guys tweets. I've seen a lot of guys 'in the know' not actually know nearly as much as they thought that they did.
Its just a dream scenario I have in my mind. If you gauged the temperature in the room, i.e. the news chatter, reports, articles, mock drafts, talking heads etc, Bortles and Manziel would more likely be headed to Houston than Teddy. But what I find very interesting are the polls thunderkyss has put up about the pick and which QB is the best for next year. Bridgewater is the clear favorite in both. You would think it woud be less clear with what is being said and thrown around. However, Teddy has the stronger following which leads me to believe there is no way he makes it past 4 and that he is still the favorite for 1-1. Despite Bortles being coached by OB's mentor, (which I never understood as a real factor) or Manziel's groundswell of local support (which I think is just as irrelevant), or Bridgewater not running or throwing (irrelevant as well), the tape from what most have seen say Bridgewater. He is probably the most likely not to fall and most likely to be the highest drafted.

Now that is not to prognosticate and say it is so or to deprecate other opinions, is just an assessment of the likelihood of it all. When it comes down to it, a coach is gonna want the guy least likely to get him fired. Some might see that as drastically different than most likely to win the super bowl, in my mind there a lot closer than most would think.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1969
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Bridgewater is the clear favorite in both.
Group Think! Following the Herd! Sheep! Flavor of the Day.
Old 02-26-2014   #1970
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 4940 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

This is not group think, I came to my decision like many others from digesting the information on my own, going through scouting reports watching film. It not as if we sat in the same room. You might say that if this guy was the most popular in the media which he is not, or the most famous on TMZ which he isn't. So would it be group think if there a poll for best WR on the team and Dre got 99% of the votes?
Old 02-26-2014   #1971
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not group think, I came to my decision like many others from digesting the information on my own, going through scouting reports watching film. It not as if we sat in the same room. You might say that if this guy was the most popular in the media which he is not, or the most famous on TMZ which he isn't. So would it be group think if there a poll for best WR on the team and Dre got 99% of the votes?
Dude, don't waste your time. Any opinion contrary to his man love for Bortles that says TB is better than his boy is considered to be derived from this mythical ESPN hype he says TB has gotten since last year. It couldn't possibly be the game tape and or anything else...

The reality is the other 2 candidates have received incrementally more hype than TB throughout this whole process.

I like LZ and Clanton's view of Bortles...they called him the minivan of qb's.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1972
jradMIT
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude, don't waste your time. Any opinion contrary to his man love for Bortles that says TB is better than his boy is considered to be derived from this mythical ESPN hype he says TB has gotten since last year. It couldn't possibly be the game tape and or anything else...

The reality is the other 2 candidates have received incrementally more hype than TB throughout this whole process.

I like LZ and Clanton's view of Bortles...they called him the minivan of qb's.
When I was discussing the polls, it was not a statement that this guy is better than this guy, but more of an assessment of what is the likeliest thing to happen.
Old 02-26-2014   #1973
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of making something up, let's try and get it right, Luck's official 40 was 4.66 NOT 4.5. So yes, over the course of a 40 yd sprint Andrew Luck is a step faster than Blake Bortles. So, Bortles still runs a lot like Luck he's only a step slower at doing it.
More than one step I would bet. If you watched the combine coverage on Monday then you saw the Clowney/Manziel simulcam forty-yard dash.

Clowney ran .15 faster than Manziel and beat him by about 3 steps. Luck was faster than Bortles by .27 so I'd say he's 5 steps slower, not just one.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1974
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
More than one step I would bet. If you watched the combine coverage on Monday then you saw the Clowney/Manziel simulcam forty-yard dash.

Clowney ran .15 faster than Manziel and beat him by about 3 steps. Luck was faster than Bortles by .27 so I'd say he's 5 steps slower, not just one.
Luck threw a ball 70 yards against the wind with those big 10 inch mitts .
Old 02-26-2014   #1975
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1976
jradMIT
Veteran

Bortles isn't really supposed to be a dual threat QB in any sense. He keeps the play alive with his legs to throw. The Baylor game was an aberration 93 yds, check his game log, Rushing totals -2, 22, 5, 5, 1, 16, 26, -10, 63, 32, -14, 31. His 40 time is irrelevant unless you expect him to drastically change his game. His game is Roethlisberger's.
Old 02-26-2014   #1977
TexansFTW
All Pro

It's gonna be funny when TB runs a faster 40 than JFF at his pro day. What will people say then?

He's going to have decent size, good speed, good arm strength, above average ball placement, excellent decision making, excellent football IQ/understanding of the game and what/where/when things need to be done, but people will still knock him for something.

Quote:
Bortles isn't really supposed to be a dual threat QB in any sense. He keeps the play alive with his legs to throw. The Baylor game was an aberration 93 yds, check his game log, Rushing totals -2, 22, 5, 5, 1, 16, 26, -10, 63, 32, -14, 31. His 40 time is irrelevant unless you expect him to drastically change his game. His game is Roethlisberger's.
That's what I look for in a QB. Get the ball to your playmakers, they can always run faster and avoid tackles better than you can, and almost always much easier to replace. He's definitely being touted as a dual threat QB though, check out the Bortles thread.
Old 02-26-2014   #1978
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's gonna be funny when TB runs a faster 40 than JFF at his pro day. What will people say then?

He's going to have decent size, good speed, good arm strength, above average ball placement, excellent decision making, excellent football IQ/understanding of the game and what/where/when things need to be done, but people will still knock him for something.
They are going to say that it doesn't matter much. Bridgewater doesn't run unless absolutely necessary. There is no real reason to compare Bridgewater's speed to Manziel's speed. Manziel's speed will be compared to other QBs that use their running ability as a large part of their game (Cam Newton, Kaepernick, etc). He doesn't compare all that favorably to those guys in regards to speed.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1979
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Group Think! Following the Herd! Sheep! Flavor of the Day.
Says the guy who searches twitter for other people's opinion so that he can find his opinion...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #1980
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

0.01 of sec is half step. A full step is is approx 3 yds. Clowney beat Manziel by almost a full step.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read