Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2014   #1881
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im as high on Smith as anyone , accept maybe you and SteelBTexan .... but I wouldn't expect Smith to be more than a two to three year project at this point.
Bridgewater , Manziel , Bortles , & Mettenberger (pending the knee) are the only 4 I believe are ready to take NFL snaps right out of the gate.
Brett Smith is my unapologetic dark horse in this race, much the same as Nick Foles was a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying that the Texans should pass on Bridgewater for smith...not by a long shot, but I'm starting to lean towards taking two QBs in this draft, depending on the value they're able to snag at other positions.

Having said that, more than any years this is a difficult one to mock/predict. Not only does O'Brian, in my opinion, must partner with a QB early - in this case Bridgewater - but also Rick Smith is picking to keep his job.

I think Bortles and Mettenberger, though - too a lesser extent Mettenberger - are just as much projects as Smith. I'm not sold on Bortles...which means absolutely nothing! HA!
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1882
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Brett Smith is my unapologetic dark horse in this race, much the same as Nick Foles was a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying that the Texans should pass on Bridgewater for smith...not by a long shot, but I'm starting to lean towards taking two QBs in this draft, depending on the value they're able to snag at other positions.

Having said that, more than any years this is a difficult one to mock/predict. Not only does O'Brian, in my opinion, must partner with a QB early - in this case Bridgewater - but also Rick Smith is picking to keep his job.

I think Bortles and Mettenberger, though - too a lesser extent Mettenberger - are just as much projects as Smith. I'm not sold on Bortles...which means absolutely nothing! HA!
I definitely wouldn't be against taking two QB's in this draft - one of Manziel and Bridgewater early then Smith in the 5th / 6th round.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1883
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't be against taking two QB's in this draft - one of Manziel and Bridgewater early then Smith in the 5th / 6th round.
I don't see the point of spending 2 draft picks on QBs. Picking up another as a UDFA for a camp arm, OK. But are you really going to carry 2 rookie QBs on the roster? Not likely.
Old 02-23-2014   #1884
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Scare red
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1885
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't see the point of spending 2 draft picks on QBs. Picking up another as a UDFA for a camp arm, OK. But are you really going to carry 2 rookie QBs on the roster? Not likely.
Depends on what you got in your stable & what happens in FA. If the league prices us out of the FA market (ie McCown, Freeman get $8M contracts) & you don't feel good about any of Schwab, Yates, Keenum. Why not?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014   #1886
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Scare red
Thought you were joking the 1st time. For Manziel delaying was cool because he wanted more time to prepare but TB is "scare red."
Old 02-23-2014   #1887
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66838 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why go to the combine and not participate?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014   #1888
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Why go to the combine and not participate?
If you're invited you pretty much have to go or else you'll get crucified for not doing measurements.

Top guys skip the events every year and everybody freaks out. I don't think it's a big deal.

People overreact to the combine in a huge way. It can hurt you just as easily as it can help you if you have a bad day. I'd rather be judged on what I've done on the field, to be honest.

The original purpose of the combine was medical evaluations and interviews. As long as you still go through that you're okay in my book.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1889
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 35244 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can I get several responses, both pro and con, as to the kind of presence Bridgewater had in the huddle and on the sideline? I've seen clips of Manziel being a firebrand, pumping up and inspiring his teammates. My impression is that Bridgewater doesn't seem to have this strong of a motivating personality. I could be wrong which is why I'm asking.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1890
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Can I get several responses, both pro and con, as to the kind of presence Bridgewater had in the huddle and on the sideline? I've seen clips of Manziel being a firebrand, pumping up and inspiring his teammates. My impression is that Bridgewater doesn't seem to have this strong of a motivating personality. I could be wrong which is why I'm asking.
Manziel's personality is definitely more overbearing.

To me, Bridgewater seems like a guy who doesn't get too high or too low. Always keeps his emotions in check.

I prefer the latter to be honest. I know that's not popular around here, considering the QBs we've had in the past.

High school and college kids respond to Manziel's style of leadership, no doubt about it. I feel it's cheesy for the pros. I really don't think a 10 year vet is going to get pumped up by Manziel running around and yelling.

Confidence is the most important thing. The other guys have to honestly believe that you can win the game no matter what the situation is. I think all of the top three have that working for them. They all exude that confidence.
Old 02-23-2014   #1891
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Depends on what you got in your stable & what happens in FA. If the league prices us out of the FA market (ie McCown, Freeman get $8M contracts) & you don't feel good about any of Schwab, Yates, Keenum. Why not?
I think TK answered the question well.

I'll just add that its not just the price of potential FA's but the fact that this class of FA QB's is void of talent. I've posted the list of FA's a few times , I can say without a doubt that I wouldn't want a single one of them on my roster with the one exception possibly being Vick.

It all boils down to how you evaluate Yates & Keenum who are going to be cheaper than any FA ($692k for Yates , $495k for Keenum) and will probably offer you just as much on the field as any of the potential FA's. Do one or both fit your scheme ?! If only one , then taking a late round flyer on a QB isn't such a waste of a roster spot.

You also have the option of hiding that late round QB by not giving him exposure in the preseason and stashing him on the practice squad.

A 5th-7th round pick isn't much of a risk in this situation when the position is in such dire straights.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1892
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Manziel is definitely louder and more demonstrative. TB is more quiet and businesslike - steadying. I think you would have to talk to the teammates for who inspires or is more effective. Some fans only appreciate brash and obvious because they can see it but it isn't always the most effective. Basically I think it is guesswork unless some kind of inside info leaks out.
Old 02-23-2014   #1893
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115980 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you ask Louisville coaches or players they dispute that he's not a fiery leader. His OC at Louisville laughed at that assertion in an interview a while back. They just have different personalities and that carries over to the way they interact with their teammates.

IMO, Bridgewater just carries his persona in a different manner. There are pros and cons to both styles. Manziel seems to have the Brady-esque fiery leadership style. Bridgewater seems to have the Manning-esque more calm and collected leadership style. They both work if the guy can lead.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1894
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I've played with guys who were loud and "fiery" that could get you hyped up and I've played with guys who could say one mono tone sentence and get you fired up. The thing is, if you are a good player and you decide to say something before the game, people are going to listen. You can't suck or be in a bad stretch of sucking and go with the same method you've been using to motivate.

Tbh, most of the better qb's I've seen or known have had a fairly even personality but would have bursts of fire.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1895
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll just add that its not just the price of potential FA's but the fact that this class of FA QB's is void of talent.
I don't buy that. At least in terms of relating their talent to what would be available late in the draft.

The Texans will bring in a veteran QB. You need that in the meeting room and the practice field to help a young QB. One of the guys left on the roster may or may not make the roster. I think either would be available for trade (if there's a market). But you're asking the staff to spend time coaching up and getting reps to 2 rookies. On a 2-14 team that needs to find LBs, DBs, and probably a RB with those late picks. It doesn't even come close to making sense.

Again, if a guy like Smith (who wasn't invited to the combine) is undrafted, then sign him up as a UDFA. But if the Texans, or any of the other 31 NFL teams, thought he was that good, he would have gotten a combine invite. The last non-invite QB that did anything in the league I can remember was Matt Cassel (taken in the 7th by NE). Cassel would actually be a great FA pickup by the Texans.
Old 02-23-2014   #1896
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
so the guy who claims to be the best QB of the draft is a cross dresser and refuses to throw or run while playing the weakest competition out of all the other qbs in question?

and this is the guy who you want to be our franchise qb?

Where the same posters who slagged Manziel for saying cocky things do the same for Bridgewater?
Its probably their manager telling them not to do it - be it because they are not throwing to players they know, or they are having one very minor injury that could cause a number to drop. I am disappointed by both of them, but it is not a big deal.

Bridgewater probably had a minor injury or sometihng like a cold today. He was announcing he were running, so I guess it was a last minute decision. His 40 time isn`t as important as Manziels, since he won`t do any designed runs anyways. But it would still be nice to have a comparison.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1897
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Manziel's personality is definitely more overbearing.

To me, Bridgewater seems like a guy who doesn't get too high or too low. Always keeps his emotions in check.

I prefer the latter to be honest. I know that's not popular around here, considering the QBs we've had in the past.

High school and college kids respond to Manziel's style of leadership, no doubt about it. I feel it's cheesy for the pros. I really don't think a 10 year vet is going to get pumped up by Manziel running around and yelling.

Confidence is the most important thing. The other guys have to honestly believe that you can win the game no matter what the situation is. I think all of the top three have that working for them. They all exude that confidence.
I think your preference for a more "quiet" leader is off-target in the current NFL. Most of the top ones aren't the quiet types. Sure, rah-rah can be OVERdone, but having fire isn't a flaw.
Old 02-23-2014   #1898
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I think your preference for a more "quiet" leader is off-target in the current NFL. Most of the top ones aren't the quiet types. Sure, rah-rah can be OVERdone, but having fire isn't a flaw.
I don't mean that having fire is a flaw. And I don't mean that the QB should be a "quiet" leader. But I would prefer a guy who doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve. In the end, it all comes down to whether the other guys in the huddle trust you or not. How you get there is just a matter of preference.
Old 02-23-2014   #1899
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I don't know about that. Sure, Peyton and Brady can get in your grill but there are a lot of other upper echelon QBs in the league who aren't rah-rah types and I don't even think Peyton is a rah-rah guy. Russell Wilson seems pretty even keel and Eli Manning has won 2 SBs even though he's known for being unflappable. I've never thought of Brees as being a rah-rah guy, either.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #1900
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
To me, Bridgewater seems like a guy who doesn't get too high or too low. Always keeps his emotions in check...
There's something "fragile" I'm picking up with Bridgewater... need to see more, but that's what I'm getting from him. Not physically fragile.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read