Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2014   #1861
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 57932 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Hand size is stupid. No correlation between being a good qb and your hand size.....NONE what so ever. Teddy has lived his whole life with those hands, hes not gonna suddenly forget how "small" they are and let it affect him holding the ball.....they are over critiquing him like they do every top guy every year. Passing on Teddy will be the biggest mistake we make if we do it....
Ball security is a major issue in the Pros with faster rushers with longer arms. There are ways to compensate for this, but a bigger throwing hand helps. It shouldn't be the biggest part of the evaluation, but it is a part of it. But the more interesting factor to me is how well he protected the ball at the college level. How many fumbles did he commit after a blind side tackle as a percentage of all blind side tackles?

Another issue where hand size comes into play is the ability to pump-fake the DBs off the receiver. One thing I did notice was Manziel's use of the pump-fake and guess what? He has bigger hands than his taller counterparts. Now this is merely an observation, but I'd like to see research on the correlation.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1862
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I've been silently on the Bridgewater Bandwagon now since shortly after the season.

It has to be Bridgewater or Brett Smith. No one else should suffice for the Texans.

As much as the game is won and lost in the trenches, if there is a such thing as a tipple - edged sword, then we best believe that a Head Coach will rise or fall based upon his QB of choice. There are just no ways around any of these basic football facts.

Bridgewater, Theodore.

Im as high on Smith as anyone , accept maybe you and SteelBTexan .... but I wouldn't expect Smith to be more than a two to three year project at this point.
Bridgewater , Manziel , Bortles , & Mettenberger (pending the knee) are the only 4 I believe are ready to take NFL snaps right out of the gate.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1863
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If Manziel continues his ball-carrying technique into the NFL, someone will break off his large-ass hand and offer it back to the ref with the ball still attached.........
I don't disagree. My point was larger hands offer a more secure grip on the ball. Another poster pointed out this is a factor in the pump fake. You also observe on the run fake how often the QB extends the ball out 30 inches or so. One instance when QB's are likely to lose the ball is when they are in the pocket, trying to throw the ball under intense pressure, and they have to pull the ball down while defensive players are slapping at the ball. The point being, any time the QB handles the ball with one hand, a larger hand offers a more secure grip.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1864
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

The gloves nowadays are the guys with smaller hands out.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1865
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Quote:
SF Chronicle report says Teddy Bridgewater will NOT throw at the Combine. Disappointing.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1866
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

That is hugely disappointing.

Are you a teddy bear or a grizzly bear?

Eat some concrete and harden up!
Old 02-22-2014   #1867
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

never expected this, but this could really benefit Bortles (TB/Manziel not throwing). having stage to himself, couldn't really ask for more than that.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2014   #1868
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Understandable but very, very disappointing.

You want a guy at QB who's competitive and who wants to show off what he can do.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1869
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Understandable but very, very disappointing.

You want a guy at QB who's competitive and who wants to show off what he can do.
I agree. I'm tired of guys like Manziel and Bridgewater showing up to the combine and not throwing while guys like Brett Smith sit on the sidelines with no invite.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1870
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't knock points from guys like Bridgewater or Manziel who don't throw. But if a guy shows up and throws really well he certainly has the opportunity to make up ground.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1871
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I don't knock points from guys like Bridgewater or Manziel who don't throw. But if a guy shows up and throws really well he certainly has the opportunity to make up ground.
I don't knock them either because Teddy/JFF are probably top 10 if not top 5 picks already. If there were millions on the line for who gets picked first (like the old CBA) more of these guys would throw in Indy.
Old 02-22-2014   #1872
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm still waiting on his presser.
Old 02-22-2014   #1873
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
Spent time with someone who coached against Teddy Bridgewater at U of L. Talked for 10 minutes on how tough he is, injuries he played through..

Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Quote:
Bridgewater said he's goal oriented. Set a three year plan for college and has achieved everything he set to do. Including graduate.

If he could be any QB ever, Bridgewater said Johnny Unitas.

He even says playing football video games are "virtual reps."

Bridgewater said there's not a moment that goes by where he isn't thinking of football.

Bridgewater said he met with the Jaguars owner and general manager. Same with Oakland.

Bridgewater said it doesn't matter about his hand size because he can complete the football.

Bridgewater said he's eager to meet and talk to Texans head coach Bill O'Brien.

Bridgewater said when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer he wanted to quit playing sports.

Bridgewater said hopefully he relieved doubts about his size.

Bridgewater said the Louisville system him for NFL QBs have to do before the snap.

Bridgewater said he putting on weight was a big focus for him.

Bridgewater said he will run at the combine.

Bridgewater said his accuracy separates him from other QBs.

Bridgewater is now up. Initially at Louisville he wanted to play WR just to get on the field.
Matthew Fairburn ‏@MatthewFairburn
Quote:
Bridgewater wanted to start year one, be all conference year two, graduate year three and be out the door. He accomplished all of his goals

Bridgewater wants to get back up over 220/225 pounds... Was at that weight at Louisville but an oral procedure caused him to not eat and lose lbs

Bridgewater: I have met with the Jaguars. It was a great meeting. Lot of energy in that room. Owner and GM were in there.

Bridgewater says "with my accuracy, my arm strength, my decision-making," the hand size won't matter

Bridgewater on game against Bortles: He's an awesome guy. I'm a big fan of his from watching him and playing against him.

Bridgewater: First time I picked up a football I told myself I want to go to the NFL.

Bridgewater: I want to prove that I can put on that weight.

Bridgewater: getting bigger was a huge focus. I was 205 at the end of the season, added nine pounds.

Bridgewater: I feel like I'm the best QB in this draft. I'm not just going to stand up here and say it. There's actions that have to back up those words

It's finally Teddy Bridgewater time in Indy.
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Quote:
Don't know if he's the top pick but he had the #1 press conference. Won the media over. Lot of smiles. #Bridgewater pic.twitter.com/TTDhTrhchk
Old 02-22-2014   #1874
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater meeting with the Texans tonight.
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1875
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Video: Bridgewater: My Goal Is To Prove I'm The Best

Well coached, but loosens up into it.

Quote:
Blake Bortles' hand is 1/8" bigger than Teddy Bridgewater's. Slow your roll, haters.

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2014   #1876
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

That sounded much better than his last one. Sounds like he's ready.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-22-2014   #1877
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Video: Bridgewater: My Goal Is To Prove I'm The Best

Well coached, but loosens up into it.

Now that's what I'm talking about. He did well.
Old 02-22-2014   #1878
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Can't imagine having to have my jaw broken to fix an open bite.

Must've been a miserable recovery.
Old 02-22-2014   #1879
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't imagine having to have my jaw broken to fix an open bite.

Must've been a miserable recovery.
Actually, it is not a painful recovery at all. Movement at fracture sites, due to pulls of the muscle attachments are mostly what make fractures painful. In this type of surgery, the fracture segments are firmly stablized with plate and screws. After ~48 hours postoperatively, most of my patients do not usually require narcotics. And, because of the aforementioned technique of stabilization, wiring the jaws together with its accompanying problems with eating, are no longer necessary.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #1880
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Actually, it is not a painful recovery at all. Movement at fracture sites, due to pulls of the muscle attachments are mostly what make fractures painful. In this type of surgery, the fracture segments are firmly stablized with plate and screws. After ~48 hours postoperatively, most of my patients do not usually require narcotics. And, because of the aforementioned technique of stabilization, wiring the jaws together with its accompanying problems with eating, are no longer necessary.
Wait...
You break jaws for a living?

and you seem like such a nice guy
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read