Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-21-2014   #1821
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Why? If you are selecting a player at 1-1, aren't you going to hold him to a higher standard of analysis?
Sure, with things that matter. Both guys were over the threshold. Okay, good to know. I don't see why further analysis for this particular measurement is needed. Both guys are 6'2 and have the same size hands. What's odd about that?

Quote:
Luck was rated so highly, in part, precisely because his measurables were as outstanding as were his skills.
Luck was rated so highly because he was a 3-year starter who called the entire offense at the line of scrimmage (something even Manning didn't do in college). He was big and strong, mobile, good arm, and extremely cerebral. He was rated as the top player long before his hands were measured.

Quote:
Now maybe you were addressing your comment to other posters and not to Gil Brandt's two comments; in which case I misinterpreted your intent and in which case my comment wouldn't apply to you. I was addressing those who saw something inconsistent with Brandt's comments.
They were directed at both.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1822
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The quotes were completely separate, it's only Teddy fans trying to connect the dots.
I don't really read twitter. They were posted on the board as though they were not separate. Hence the response.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #1823
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
100% agree!!!!!the Bridgewater fans are being way to defensive. Every little comment said about him his is met with criticism no matter whether it's fact or opinion based on observation that was never meant as a put down.
You could say the same thing about the Manziel, Bortles, Clowney, and McCarron fans. We all have favorites and we all defend them when we feel they are misrepresented.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #1824
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not a doctor. But in my mind, if we were talking about some surgery that kept him from putting weight on his feet, where he suffered from severe atrophy I'd probably be thinking along those lines. But he was a relatively healthy young man who couldn't eat the way a growing kid should. Once they unwired his jaw his body should have been playing catchup.
Very true and I wasn't ever trying to imply that you were wrong. It's just my opinion that he played under weight this year because he wasn't able to throw the weight back on before the season and couldn't do it during the season.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #1825
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't really read twitter. They were posted on the board as though they were not separate. Hence the response.
I don't either. But saying they are completely separate is misleading as well. It's a string of thoughts like stream of consciousness with returns. These two came out in quick succession.
Old 02-21-2014   #1826
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

It's largely percieved as a slight to TB b/c Brandt felt the need to mention TB wore gloves & there was no need to do that much less right after the measurements came out on his hands.

yes it was a fact....but a fact everyone knew already. Of course people were going to make the leap they made when he threw that little tidbit on at the end.

Just like everyone crucified manziel for being all of 1/4 of an inch shorter than he said he was gonna be.

In the grand scheme of things, it's negligble for both guys...........
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1827
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
It's largely percieved as a slight to TB b/c Brandt felt the need to mention TB wore gloves & there was no need to do that much less right after the measurements came out on his hands.

yes it was a fact....but a fact everyone knew already. Of course people were going to make the leap they made when he threw that little tidbit on at the end.

Just like everyone crucified manziel for being all of 1/4 of an inch shorter than he said he was gonna be.

In the grand scheme of things, it's negligble for both guys...........
Right, he didn't just report the facts, he added a bit of his own opinion coloring his statement on one, but not the other. A bit disingenuous.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014   #1828
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The weigh-ins aren't exactly surprising

With Teddy and Johnny, you have two guys that had size questions so you know that they are going to add weight before the combine. Those numbers lead me to believe that they played between 5-15 pounds lighter during the past college football season, which is about what I expected.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1829
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OK captain never met a spurious distinction you didn't like and never heard of the generic you - why would Brandt expect TB to have bigger hands when the concern was his hands being too small? For instance was he on record saying the concerns about TB were ridiculous and he could tell TBs hands were plenty big by looking at them?
I don't know. I don't know why Brandt thinks what he thinks about TB. Pure speculation on my part, since Gil has been doing this for 50 years and the inventor of the modern day Combine, maybe after watching TB and considering his height he thought TB would've hands > 9 1/4".
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1830
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know. I don't know why Brandt thinks what he thinks about TB. Pure speculation on my part, since Gil has been doing this for 50 years and the inventor of the modern day Combine, maybe after watching TB and considering his height he thought TB would've hands > 9 1/4".
Well that can't be it because Garoppolo is also 6'2 and he had no issue with his hand size.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #1831
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Teddy Bridgewater 6'2 1/8", 214 lbs., 9 1/4" hand.
I knew he wouldn't come into the combine weighing under 200 lbs. I don't know if it was on this board (Probably not, god I hope not) but I had a few co-worker friends thinking this guy was not much bigger than Manziel.
Old 02-21-2014   #1832
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well that can't be it because Garoppolo is also 6'2 and he had no issue with his hand size.
That's cause he has different 9.25 hands . I think old school guys like Brandt may think Teddy's darker hands will blend in with the ball . He forgets TB wears gloves probably for that reason .

Now Carr has 9.125 hands as does Murray .

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014QB.php

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1833
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hindsight. Until measured there was speculation if he was 6'.

Like I said, I don't know what or why Brandt thinks about players. Apparently you do. I can only assume (ASS of U ME) like everyone else.
Old 02-21-2014   #1834
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hindsight. Until measured there was speculation if he was 6'.

Like I said, I don't know what or why Brandt thinks about players. Apparently you do. I can only assume (ASS of U ME) like everyone else.
Come on now. You should know by now that I know everything.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-21-2014   #1835
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Ball security and hand strength are just as important as hand size. Brett Favre hands were huge,but he fumbled a lot because of where he held the ball while in the pocket. I don't know andre johnson hand size,but I've shook his hands and they seemed small,but he has strong hands. I've seen guys with 10" hands that couldn't palm a basketball because of hand strength.
Old 02-21-2014   #1836
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Hand size is not indicative of success at all.

Michael Vick 8½
Drew Brees 10¼.
Tim Couch 9 7/8
Donovan McNabb 10-0
Akili Smith 9¾
Cade McNown 9 3/8
Brad Johnson 10 1/8
Patrick Ramsey 10-0
David Carr 9¾
Joey Harrington 9¾
Trent Dilfer 9 5/8
Jay Fiedler 9½
J.T. O’Sullivan 9½
Jake Plummer 9¼
Chris Chandler 9¼
Jim Druckenmiller 11¼
Heath Shuler 10 5/8
David Klingler 9¼

Some of you guys are just getting too wrapped up in the "tear down Teddy to make your guy look better" arguments. First it was his weight, then the thickness of his arms, then his lack of Heisman votes in 2013, then his conference competition, then his crossdressing, then his "looping motion" in his throw, then the angle of the ball in his throwing motion, then his defense is making him look good, then his spiral isn't tight enough, then not declaring for the NFL draft immediately, and on and on and on. It's really boring reading the same stuff over and over again. The super-anti-Teddy crowd really needs to step back off this thread, because most of you aren't adding anything meaningful to the discussion.
Old 02-21-2014   #1837
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I remember the legal drinking age "walking up" from 18 pretty much in step with my own age. Once I turned 18 I could drink and I don't remember ever dropping back at any time as it went up.

that's just my memory. It could be off or maybe I just had a run of never being carded in there.
When I went on campus (Lamar) for my freshman year (1975), the drinking age was 18 which was lowered from 21 at the same time as the Voting age. Anyone with a college ID would be served so that's what I used for the local establishment.

Beer vendors were the largest group at the freshman orientations. I was never carded until I turned 18 near the end of my freshman year. When I finally finished in 1980 (Lamar) after time at Texas A&M and U of H, the drinking age was still 18, so the move to age 19 had to be after that.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #1838
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
When I went on campus (Lamar) for my freshman year (1975), the drinking age was 18 which was lowered from 21 at the same time as the Voting age. Anyone with a college ID would be served so that's what I used for the local establishment.

Beer vendors were the largest group at the freshman orientations. I was never carded until I turned 18 near the end of my freshman year. When I finally finished in 1980 (Lamar) after time at Texas A&M and U of H, the drinking age was still 18, so the move to age 19 had to be after that.
The National Minimum Drinking Age Act was passed in 1984. Infantrycak will be along directly with who voted FOR, who voted AGAINST and who ABSTAINED.
Old 02-21-2014   #1839
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Come on now. You should know by now that I know everything.
Well you screwed up and outed yourself. You commented that you didn't follow twitter. Then followed that up with comments about individual tweets and how they should be interpreted. So clearly you were offering an opinion on something you knew nothing about, admittedly so.
Old 02-21-2014   #1840
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Hand size is not indicative of success at all.

Michael Vick 8½
Drew Brees 10¼.
Tim Couch 9 7/8
Donovan McNabb 10-0
Akili Smith 9¾
Cade McNown 9 3/8
Brad Johnson 10 1/8
Patrick Ramsey 10-0
David Carr 9¾
Joey Harrington 9¾
Trent Dilfer 9 5/8
Jay Fiedler 9½
J.T. O’Sullivan 9½
Jake Plummer 9¼
Chris Chandler 9¼
Jim Druckenmiller 11¼
Heath Shuler 10 5/8
David Klingler 9¼
I always thought Schaub had smallish hands. The ball looked huge in his hand & funny coming out of it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read