Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2014   #1601
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
To win big in the NFL (Super Bowl) you need a CLUTCH QB and a great defense.

In this draft you're just as likely to find a clutch QB late in the 1st or early 2nd rd as at 1-1. None of these top 3 QB's have greatness genes to me. Bridgewater has the best chance of the top 3. IMHO But I don't think he's worth the risk of 1-1.

But I bet you regardless of which QB will be picked (One will be picked) history will be repeating itself.

I like opinions and I don't try to change anyone,but let's at least be truthful. You don't ned a great defense to win a sb. If you use this yr, there have half the sb winners with a great defense.Colts,saints,ravens,giants(2 times) are teams who won without great defense. So this whole great defense is 50/50 at best. In the same span, we've had eli(2), ben(2),peyton,rodgers,and flacco won superbowls. Guess what? All were 1st rd draft picks. The guy who won in those 10yrs were brady(6th),bres(32),and wilson this yr. So in 10 yr, 7 had 1st rd qbs and only 5 had top 10 defense. So again, what were you saying about great defense and late rd qbs? I'll wait.
Old 02-10-2014   #1602
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Where does all this 85, 90, 95 stuff come from? This all just sounds like made-up gibberish to me. "85, 87 type QBs"? What does that even mean? What is the difference between an 85 graded QB and a 90 graded QB.
yup... that's about right, all made up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
At some point, this type of discussion becomes ridiculous in my opinion. I don't understand overanalyzing prospects in this manner. Most of these ratings are going to be completely inaccurate when all is said and done, so they are basically just pre-draft, made-up talking points. We know very little about each player's work ethic, ability to learn, mental capacity, etc. These are the characteristics that matter the most and set prospects/players apart, especially with QBs. Any rating system would have to take these characteristics into account or they are completely flawed..
I wish I could put all my posts together, so everything I said can be seen at one time. However, I agree with you 100% & said as much in another post. Right now, these QBs are grouped very closely together for me. 6 of them carry a similar grade based on what I know right now. The Texans have will have more access to these kids than I ever will, they'll talk to people who've worked with these kids & helped form them into the peopl they are today.

Surely, that information will separate one (or more) from the others.
Old 02-10-2014   #1603
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

In the 2012 draft, the Seattle Seahawks drafted
  1. Bruce Irvin
  2. Bobby Wagner
  3. Russell Wilson

Are we saying they should have drafted Russell Wilson in the first if he was graded as a possible starter (since the number system is too complicated for some people)?

I'm not saying they had him graded as a possible starter. They probably graded him as a good back up since he's too short to be a starter. They weren't going to draft a QB in the first anyway after paying Matt Flynn.

But still, right now. Knowing what you know (& let's say no one else knows what you know) would you have drafted differently? On his own, I guarantee you Bruce Irvin didn't have the same impact that Russell Wilson did, neither did Bobby Wagner. But that defense (which wouldn't be the same without either of them) did.

Now this is not a "we can draft a franchise QB in the 3rd round" rant, I'm not saying that.

But imagine Seattle didn't sign Flynn, would they have drafted Weeden because they needed a QB? Or Osweiler in the first since they're more likely to hit on a franchise QB by drafting one in the first?

Or would they have been better off, getting an elite player in Bruce Irvin, since several "similarly" graded QBs are still on the board (Osweiler, Wilson, Foles, Cousins)?

Then in the second round should they have taken Osweiler/Weeden/Wilson there & miss on Bobby Wagner when Osweiler, Wilson, Foles, & Cousins are still on the board?

I don't think so. Trust your board.
Old 02-10-2014   #1604
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

TK, u make solids points and I'm replying not knowing if I'm agreeing or disagreing. I think the point is getting the correct players. I mean all this mocks on this board wants the texans to trade with cleveland. Well 2 yrs ago Indy was in the same boat. My argument isnt that TB or whomever the qb might be luck,but I think people are also having short term memory loss also. In that draft,similar to the manning draft,there was another more physically gifted player than Luck. RG3 had more upside than luck,just as leaf had more than manning. Now,the leaf-manning thing played out like parachute pants from the 80s,but the rg3-luck-wilson book is still active a being written.

Think about who the colts could've drafted had they moved down and drafted richardson or kalil ,the extra 1st could've been anyone,the 2nd rd pick could've been anyone and the other picks would've gotten. I mean,the breaking point between cleveland in the rg3 trade was the 2nd rd pick in the draft everything else was the same. Would colts be a playoff team with the kind of haul st louis got? St Louis has a good core,but they're missing the main ingredient. Meanwhile,if rg3 returns to form,they will be in the playoffs much sooner than the rams. Hell last yr the redskins went to playoffs with that same 31 st ranked defense.

It really doesn't matter as long as the guy is an impactful player.
Old 02-10-2014   #1605
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Quote:
Looking at the Louisville passer, it's easy to fall in love with his pre- and post-snap ability and presence. Ask Bridgewater to make a pre-snap read and change the play? He'll do it while the rest of the quarterbacks in college are looking to the sideline for a poster board with a picture of Marilyn Monroe on it to give them the read. Bridgewater makes his own reads, and he shows the high-level intelligence and recognition needed to step right into an NFL system.
Now THAT is funny.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1606
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post

Think about who the colts could've drafted had they moved down and drafted richardson or kalil ,the extra 1st could've been anyone,the 2nd rd pick could've been anyone and the other picks would've gotten. I mean,the breaking point between cleveland in the rg3 trade was the 2nd rd pick in the draft everything else was the same.

My personal opinion, if you're convinced there's a guy who is highly likely to be a franchise player..... Luck, Rivers, even a Sam Bradford (at the time of the draft)..... you couldn't give me enough to trade unless I already had a franchise guy.

Which is totally different, at least from my perspective here. Some folks are convinced Bridgewater is a franchise guy. A lot of his intangibles come up... his drive, study habits, football IQ, etc... which I'm not sold on. Those are the things I believe teams will have better access to gauge than I ever will. If Bridgewater is selected #1 overall.... or Johnny, or Bortles, or "you know who" I'll have to believe it is something the Texans learned, that I can't see on youtube.
Old 02-10-2014   #1607
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Which is totally different, at least from my perspective here. Some folks are convinced Bridgewater is a franchise guy. A lot of his intangibles come up... his drive, study habits, football IQ, etc... which I'm not sold on. Those are the things I believe teams will have better access to gauge than I ever will. If Bridgewater is selected #1 overall.... or Johnny, or Bortles, or "you know who" I'll have to believe it is something the Texans learned, that I can't see on youtube.
So no matter how universally reported, because you can't see him studying you doubt it's true?
Old 02-10-2014   #1608
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So no matter how universally reported, because you can't see him studying you doubt it's true?
Stories seem to come up about the "best QB prospect" all the time. I take those with a grain of salt. You can put how ever much weight on it you wish.

& it's not so much that I doubt it's true, but I've read similar stories about other QBs.

Tell me why a guy would chose to go to Louisville when he could have gone to Florida or Miami?
Old 02-10-2014   #1609
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stories seem to come up about the "best QB prospect" all the time. I take those with a grain of salt. You can put how ever much weight on it you wish.

& it's not so much that I doubt it's true, but I've read similar stories about other QBs.

Tell me why a guy would chose to go to Louisville when he could have gone to Florida or Miami?
Randy Shannon got fired so he opted out of Miami . Strong recruited him for Florida and moved on to Louisville and TB followed him .
Old 02-10-2014   #1610
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Randy Shannon got fired so he opted out of Miami . Strong recruited him for Florida and moved on to Louisville and TB followed him .
Well stated Earl. I find it interesting too that of those two "better programs" he could have gone to were teams he beat in post-season play in back to back years, upsetting 4th ranking Florida last year and dismantling Miami this year. One of the main knocks on him is his level of competition, well he beat both these teams in bowl games.

But I think MOST importantly is he very likely was better coached and is more prepared to succeed at the professional level after playing in Strong's offense for 3 years. SEC and ACC would look better on paper, but he may not have been as well prepared to start day 1 for the Texans.

I believe he also stated this in an interview before. Graduating high school early so he could go to Louisville to give him a leg up on winning the QB battle, and that he thought the style of offense would prepare him better to succeed in the pros, and that he wanted to graduate a year early from college and go pro. This is a smart driven dude.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1611
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Read the article about the poster boards with pictures on the previous page.

That's true.

If you've ever watched a college football game you see it all the time. The QB has little idea what is happening and is waiting for the poster boards to tell him.

There were no poster boards in Louisville. The coach has said as much. He's said the reason.

I get questioning his height, but you can't question his mental aptitude for the game (football IQ), his drive to win, or his mental toughness.

I digress. We are going in circles again. I feel like this same song plays on repeat and we continue to dance to it without knowing why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
and that he wanted to graduate a year early from college and go pro. This is a smart driven dude.
Valid point. He planned to graduate college early and then he did it. There are some study habits for you.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1612
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 4940 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Its pretty obvious that Teddy is the type of QB that projects to excel at the mental aspects of the game both on and off the field. Its his biggest selling point. From all accounts he could be characterized as a book worm/ chalkboard nerd/ student of the game type of qb who can never prepare enough. Its a big part of the "intangibles" people speak of.
jradMIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1613
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like opinions and I don't try to change anyone,but let's at least be truthful. You don't ned a great defense to win a sb. If you use this yr, there have half the sb winners with a great defense.Colts,saints,ravens,giants(2 times) are teams who won without great defense. So this whole great defense is 50/50 at best. In the same span, we've had eli(2), ben(2),peyton,rodgers,and flacco won superbowls. Guess what? All were 1st rd draft picks. The guy who won in those 10yrs were brady(6th),bres(32),and wilson this yr. So in 10 yr, 7 had 1st rd qbs and only 5 had top 10 defense. So again, what were you saying about great defense and late rd qbs? I'll wait.
If there was a great QB in this draft I would be all for taking a QB. There isn't. IMHO I don't believe in forcing picks because of need.

The difference is that you believe TB can be a great QB like the ones you listed. I don't. What I do really appreciate is that we can have differing opinions but still respect each others opinion. I really respect yours more than some other TB only type posters because of your posts like this one that are based in facts.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1614
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If there was a great QB in this draft I would be all for taking a QB. There isn't. IMHO I don't believe in forcing picks because of need.
If it was 2011 and you were the Panthers and could do it again would you draft Cam Newton?

EVERYTHING I saw on Cam had him outside of the top 7. Most outside of the top 12. Almost everyone has TB ranked inside of the top 10. Did they force the pick? Do they regret it?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1615
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Tell me why a guy would chose to go to Louisville when he could have gone to Florida or Miami?
What Earl said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Bridgewater was also offered by LSU late in the game but he turned them down because he was upset that he was a last minute option.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1616
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

If we draft Teddy Bridgewater, look for me to start a thread claiming he will be better than Andrew Luck.
Old 02-10-2014   #1617
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TK, u make solids points and I'm replying not knowing if I'm agreeing or disagreing. I think the point is getting the correct players. I mean all this mocks on this board wants the texans to trade with cleveland. Well 2 yrs ago Indy was in the same boat. My argument isnt that TB or whomever the qb might be luck,but I think people are also having short term memory loss also. In that draft,similar to the manning draft,there was another more physically gifted player than Luck. RG3 had more upside than luck,just as leaf had more than manning. Now,the leaf-manning thing played out like parachute pants from the 80s,but the rg3-luck-wilson book is still active a being written.

Think about who the colts could've drafted had they moved down and drafted richardson or kalil ,the extra 1st could've been anyone,the 2nd rd pick could've been anyone and the other picks would've gotten. I mean,the breaking point between cleveland in the rg3 trade was the 2nd rd pick in the draft everything else was the same. Would colts be a playoff team with the kind of haul st louis got? St Louis has a good core,but they're missing the main ingredient. Meanwhile,if rg3 returns to form,they will be in the playoffs much sooner than the rams. Hell last yr the redskins went to playoffs with that same 31 st ranked defense.

Good Post

The main ingredient missing is the QB drafted by the Rams at 1-1. (Bradford) I don't want to see the Texans go down this reaching for a QB route and essentially become the Rams. Sad part is that I like Bradford more than any QB in this draft.
Old 02-10-2014   #1618
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the 2012 draft, the Seattle Seahawks drafted
  1. Bruce Irvin
  2. Bobby Wagner
  3. Russell Wilson

Are we saying they should have drafted Russell Wilson in the first if he was graded as a possible starter (since the number system is too complicated for some people)?

No , you don't take Wilson 1:1 when he isn't the best prospect at his position even if you think you can win with him going forward.
You do take him before ... someone else does. So your player evaluations better be solid and have him slotted properly so you have the opportunity to take him .... cause if you have him lower than another team he's gone and if you have him much higher than others m you reached.

I'm not so sure Wilson is a real good example. Sure the SeaDucks won a Super Bowl with him ... but it was defense & running the rock that they hung their hat on.
Not taking anything away from Wilson , he made some big plays all season .... but I don't put him in the category with the elite QB's.
That was a team victory (season), not a superstar QB leading a team to a Lombardi , and I have my doubts as to whether he could do the things Brady , Rodgers , Manning or Brees has done thru the years.

Reminds me more of .... The other Manning who had a really good defense and made plays at big moments.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #1619
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
If it was 2011 and you were the Panthers and could do it again would you draft Cam Newton?

EVERYTHING I saw on Cam had him outside of the top 7. Most outside of the top 12. Almost everyone has TB ranked inside of the top 10. Did they force the pick? Do they regret it?
Probably not, Newton while being the best talent in the draft had severe character questions. (Theft) I don't think I would've wanted him being the face of my franchise. I would've been wrong. Because it looks like Newton has grown up and will live up to his immense talent level. A talent level no QB in this draft is even close too.
Old 02-10-2014   #1620
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 4940 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good Post

The main ingredient missing is the QB drafted by the Rams at 1-1. (Bradford) I don't want to see the Texans go down this reaching for a QB route and essentially become the Rams. Sad part is that I like Bradford more than any QB in this draft.
Sam Bradford's career has been derailed a lot because of the injuries, although not completely because of them. He seemed to be playing a lot better last before he was knocked out. Maybe the Texans should try to sign him after he is cut, and just trade down and pick up multiple picks.
jradMIT is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read