Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-07-2014   #1541
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So having just a really good QB is more important than having a hall of fame defender? That's insane. Here's why. You can find "really good" QB's in the second and third round. You do t get many chances to draft potential hall of famers.
See, this is where I disagree. How many real good QBs are in the NFL? IŽd say 10, maybe 12 tops. Sure, there are several mid to late rounders in that list, but most were taken in the first round. Oh, and I wouldn`t call guys like Dalton or Schaub a really good QB.

And then look at how many QBs were selected in total in the last 10 years... IŽd guess easily over 100. In the first 3 rounds? Probably around 50?

It is hard to find a very good QB - really hard. You usually can`t get one via trade or free agency and the draft is a lottery. If you pick first your odds are the best.

So yeah, a real good QB is worth more than a hall of fame defender - at least in my book. Simply because they are a lot harder to get and influence the game a lot more. And by the way, we already have a hall of fame defender on our team (probably at least) - and he already has a lot of talent by his side. And our defense will get more help in the draft, probably a pass rusher, an inside LB and a safety.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1542
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
See, this is where I disagree. How many real good QBs are in the NFL? IŽd say 10, maybe 12 tops. Sure, there are several mid to late rounders in that list, but most were taken in the first round. Oh, and I wouldn`t call guys like Dalton or Schaub a really good QB.

And then look at how many QBs were selected in total in the last 10 years... IŽd guess easily over 100. In the first 3 rounds? Probably around 50?

It is hard to find a very good QB - really hard. You usually can`t get one via trade or free agency and the draft is a lottery. If you pick first your odds are the best.

So yeah, a real good QB is worth more than a hall of fame defender - at least in my book. Simply because they are a lot harder to get and influence the game a lot more. And by the way, we already have a hall of fame defender on our team (probably at least) - and he already has a lot of talent by his side. And our defense will get more help in the draft, probably a pass rusher, an inside LB and a safety.
It is much easier to find a good QB than an elite one. I would say you average about one elite QB every other year while seeing a couple of good QBs each year. Probably a similar number of backup quality QBs in any given year.

The question with using a #1 pick is whether any QB is an Elite QB prospect. I don't see any. If not, then you either go with BPA or trade down where you don't leave too much talent on the table to fill your need.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1543
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty close - 54.

Coincidentally Matt Schaub was #54.
Old 02-07-2014   #1544
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Peter King barely knows more about football than crap, but it's hard to know for sure since his articles center around airports, starbucks and traffic.
and somehow he was the sportswriter of the year 3 years ago.

Salty?

So some folks are alluding that Clowney is already on his way to Canton? LOL
Old 02-07-2014   #1545
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
and somehow he was the sportswriter of the year 3 years ago.

Salty?

So some folks are alluding that Clowney is already on his way to Canton? LOL
I wonder how much that award cost him?
Old 02-07-2014   #1546
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
It is much easier to find a good QB than an elite one. I would say you average about one elite QB every other year while seeing a couple of good QBs each year. Probably a similar number of backup quality QBs in any given year.

The question with using a #1 pick is whether any QB is an Elite QB prospect. I don't see any. If not, then you either go with BPA or trade down where you don't leave too much talent on the table to fill your need.
Well, I guess the question is what is an elite QB. If you are talking about Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers - well then I have to disagree. There are a lot more QBs worthy of being taken with the first pick. Now let`s include guys like Luck, Wilson, RG3 (maybe), Eli, Big Ben. Maybe even guys like Cam Newton, Kaepernick and Flacco, Matt Ryan.

That`s 13 QBs right here. None of these will be easily available and none other of their quality will be available to us. Of course it is debatable if a guy with the quality of like Flacco, Ryan or Kaepernick would be worth the number 1 pick, but if you could get one of the other 9 mentioned, I don`t think there is a question that you take them (note: I am not saying take Eli - I am saying investing a draft pick in a young player that posesses the sames qualities as Eli).

And the other hand to look at it: those are 13 "quality" QBs - some of them in the league for 16 years. So with that criteria, in the last 16 years we only got 13 quality QBs, which doesn`t add up to a couple each year. And of those 13, 9 were picked in the first round. So only 4 quality QBs that are still in the league were picked outside of round 1.

You can argue with the players I picked (Foles? Rivers? Stafford?), but I think it is clear, that the hardest thing in building a football roster is getting your quality QB. So if you think there might be one available to you, you take him.
Old 02-07-2014   #1547
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Well, I guess the question is what is an elite QB. If you are talking about Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers - well then I have to disagree. There are a lot more QBs worthy of being taken with the first pick. Now let`s include guys like Luck, Wilson, RG3 (maybe), Eli, Big Ben. Maybe even guys like Cam Newton, Kaepernick and Flacco, Matt Ryan.

That`s 13 QBs right here. None of these will be easily available and none other of their quality will be available to us. Of course it is debatable if a guy with the quality of like Flacco, Ryan or Kaepernick would be worth the number 1 pick, but if you could get one of the other 9 mentioned, I don`t think there is a question that you take them (note: I am not saying take Eli - I am saying investing a draft pick in a young player that posesses the sames qualities as Eli).

And the other hand to look at it: those are 13 "quality" QBs - some of them in the league for 16 years. So with that criteria, in the last 16 years we only got 13 quality QBs, which doesn`t add up to a couple each year. And of those 13, 9 were picked in the first round. So only 4 quality QBs that are still in the league were picked outside of round 1.

You can argue with the players I picked (Foles? Rivers? Stafford?), but I think it is clear, that the hardest thing in building a football roster is getting your quality QB. So if you think there might be one available to you, you take him.
But once again, picking a mid first quality QB with the 1-1 doesn't make him a better QB. They are what they are and you don't overpay just because you need one if they aren't one.
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2014   #1548
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But once again, picking a mid first quality QB with the 1-1 doesn't make him a better QB. They are what they are and you don't overpay just because you need one if they aren't one.
Guy walks up to you in the desert with a gallon of water, do you tell him no because he wants $10? Even if he will sell you a $500 Kobe steak for the same $10, you take the water.
Old 02-07-2014   #1549
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. Like I said, the question is how good does a QB have to be to pick him #1. To get back to my list, IŽd say he`d need to be at least as good as one of the 13 QBs IŽve listed. Simply because I think you need a QB that is at least that good to win a superbowl and you don`t have any other chance to get them other than the draft (and you have a much better shot at 1.1 then at 2.1).

Of course if you don`t think Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles can be that, don`t take them. Don`t reach for a QB just because we need one.

But if you think one of those guys could be at least as good as one of the 13 I`ve listed it is worth it to pass on superior talent just because the QB position is so important and so difficult to fill.

And about the round value - that is hard to put a finger on. If that means when a player will probably be taken, well then Bridgewater has a clear top 5 value right now. If you are talking about the quality of a prospect, you can`t really decide that before the draft. Wilson was severely underrated, Gabbert was severly overrated. Is the prospect Bridgewater under or overrated - there are a lot of oppinions, but we can`t know for sure until he sets foot on an NFL field (and even then it might take a couple of seasons before we really know).

But to stay with Bridgewater: most scouts have him in the top 10 of their big board (most even in their top 3), so he is rated at least as an early first rounder.
Old 02-07-2014   #1550
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Guy walks up to you in the desert with a gallon of water, do you tell him no because he wants $10? Even if he will sell you a $500 Kobe steak for the same $10, you take the water.
Unless the water is poisonous. We have a QB. We want improvement. Just naming another to start doesn't make them better. They have to BE better and substantially better for 1-1.
Old 02-07-2014   #1551
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Unless the water is poisonous. We have a QB. We want improvement. Just naming another to start doesn't make them better. They have to BE better and substantially better for 1-1.
If Sam Bradford was our QB, I wonder who they would be projecting to us.

If Wisnehunt was our coach would Bortles be in the conversation?

If the Cleveland Browns want Johnny Manziel... That can't be a good decision can it?
Old 02-08-2014   #1552
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It really depends upon how you have them graded.

If they are all very close , you can afford to move back & take what's left while securing other assets.

If you have one significantly better than the others , you take that player.

The reason we are talking about a trade down scenario is that many of us just haven't been able to separate them by a whole lot. Even if we have a favorite among them , most realize they are very close , even with diverse talents.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1553
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if Tyson Jackson - who is a free agent with the Chiefs this offseason - gets signed by the FO to play the two-gapper across from Watt in the 3-4, I think that will be the biggest tell that we're taking a QB.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1554
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that tb has t been mentioned much by "sources". Maybe if teams think we are really going to take one of the other guys they'll trade up and we can still get the guy we want...or that I hope we want...bridgewater.

That would be sweet if some team jumped up for clowney or manziel and we still got him. Kind of risky. I probably would chance it...but if it happened like that if be ecstatic.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1555
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

TB at IMG as well. (This kid had 41 rushing TDs in 2013!)
Quote:
I'm training at IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton, Fla. They're working us out physically and helping us mentally. When the big stage comes at the NFL scouting combine, we'll be well-prepared.

I've been here going on almost five weeks. The facility, everything is top of the line, elite. They've got a great weight room.

Jeremy Hill from LSU is the other running back that's here. We push each other every day.

[Louisville quarterback] Teddy Bridgewater is here. He's got a great arm. I think he's the No. 1 quarterback in this draft.

We're doing mock tests [Wonderlic personnel test] like they'll give us at the combine. It's easy, but it's about preparing well and being smart. You're not going to finish all 50 questions because it's timed. You've got to have a scheme and a plan and get all the easy stuff out of the way. There's some math in there they want you to do. I didn't have any problems. I got a 21 out of 50. The average running back score is 17, so anything over that is good. I've been consistent. Our scheme is to forget about all the math and get the multiple choice and simple questions out of the way.

We've been doing practice interviews the way you do with the NFL general managers. They ask us questions and act like they're a GM for a team, throwing questions out there. They're prepping us for the interviews, any trick questions. In all the interviews, you control the interview. That's why they're interviewing you. It's great preparation. If you prepare for everything, you will get the best result.

I've had this picture painted for myself about the NFL since Pop Warner. I've been dreaming about this. Now, I'm living my dream. I just got to perform.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...#ixzz2sm73ENAk
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1556
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

From the quote above:

Quote:
We've been doing practice interviews the way you do with the NFL general managers. They ask us questions and act like they're a GM for a team, throwing questions out there. They're prepping us for the interviews, any trick questions. In all the interviews, you control the interview. That's why they're interviewing you. It's great preparation. If you prepare for everything, you will get the best result.
So ... do you really have to be trained to answer questions like that ?? Aren't the facts and honest answers more important than trained answers ?

Hell , you can train a monkey .... with enough repetition.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1557
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
From the quote above:

So ... do you really have to be trained to answer questions like that ?? Aren't the facts and honest answers more important than trained answers ?

In a word...yes. similar training goes on (or is at least available) for non-athletes through most colleges in America. Too many of 21 year olds, really don't know to leave the phone in the car for an hour, look people in the eye, not tell the interviewer that he/she was a leader because they organized parties every weekend.
Old 02-08-2014   #1558
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only if you want to maximize your draft position.

"Man, Imma gonna win me like 10 Super Bowls and buy me like 10 Rolls Royces and get me like 10 supermodel girlfriends and hang out wif strippers & rappers and blow weed all night and all day" probably doesn't represent the best answer to, "What do you hope to accomplish in your life?"

Not every one of these student-athletes are held to highest standards of "student" or taught how to do Life 101 off the field, unfortunately. You have to be taught how to interview properly. You have to learn how to play the media game. You need to learn to showcase your leadership qualities in the best light. And you need to demonstrate a flawless, quick-minded football IQ.

None better that I've seen than this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IbYoeSf6Gk Watch his eyes. Listen to his mastery of the game. This the guy you hire as CEO of your organization.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1559
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, let me explain my thoughts for you: we should only take a QB if we are sure he could he our QB for the future. But if there is one, that could be that for us we absolutely need to take him, even if there is a player with more talent available.

So even if Clowney is going to be a hall of famer in our book and Bridgewater just a really good QB - we should take Bridgewater. Simply because the QB position is that much more important.
Unless you can get a really good QB like Smith/Murray in the 3rd rd. Really good isn't hard to find. Bradford/Stafford/Smith were all 1-1's/ Sanchez/Manuel/Flacco/Rivers in the AFC were all highly rated, then you have the Gabbert/Lockers of the world who were supposed to be really good.

Then you've got Brees/Kaep/Wilson/Romo/Foles/ etc.... who turned out to be better than the above mentioned QB's.

It's a crapshoot, if it comes down to picking a QB that can only be good at 1-1. I will pass on the QB. Especially with odds being just as good at finding a successful QB in Rd2-3 of this yrs draft. Give me Smith or Murray + Clowney over any of the top 3.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #1560
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From the quote above:

That ought to cover most 20 yr-old football players.

Most of us interview and we either get / don't get the job.

These guys interview and it can make millions of dollars of difference. I'd sure want any edge I could get.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read