Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-07-2014   #1521
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Competition is the WORST argument you can make for/against a player. Tebow played in the SEC, what he do in the NFL? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young beat competition in college, how about the NFL? Matt Leinart? Who was Russell Wilson's competition in college? RGIII's?
So what's the three best arguments we can make?
Old 02-07-2014   #1522
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So what's the three best arguments we can make?
If you can answer that question, you've got NFL scouting down.

My three would be:

Accuracy

Arm Strength

Decision-making
Old 02-07-2014   #1523
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Ah yes, another newbie trying to tell me how the board works.

Perhaps you should take your own advice when it comes to TK's posts...just a thought.
Ah, joined date complex. Got it now.

What advice should I take?

Ignore feature? I didn't give any advice to TK. That was for you.

You quoted me, I responded. I didn't engage you.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1524
Gotta Know
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Gotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I like how you use Suh as a comparison. I'm not blaming Suh but that Detroit team has been mediocre for years. No matter how dominant they are one defensive player can only do so much. Julius Peppers' Bears are mediocre, Mario Williams' Bills have been terrible and Watt didn't help stop Houston's 14 game losing streak this year. A franchise caliber QB would be so much more effective if you want to turn around this team faster.

I don't get it.

I count two potentially great players on the D. Does drafting Clooney force JJ to retire? It's a lot easier to game plan against one great player. Much more difficult with two in the front seven.

Nobody would argue that a great franchise QB would be better than a second great defensive player. Are there any in this draft? I don't know. The Texans will have to make that determination. One thing is certain, jobs will be on the line.

Glad I'm not a scout or GM. It's a lot easier to play one on the internet.
Gotta Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1525
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Please don't spend the #1 pick on somebody named Clooney.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1526
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you can answer that question, you've got NFL scouting down.

My three would be:

Accuracy

Arm Strength

Decision-making
Intangibles are more important than those things in the opinion of Drew Brees.

He reckons if a QB gets drafted he has the physical tools.
Old 02-07-2014   #1527
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Intangibles are more important than those things in the opinion of Drew Brees.

He reckons if a QB gets drafted he has the physical tools.
What exactly are intangibles?
Old 02-07-2014   #1528
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Competition is the WORST argument you can make for/against a player. Tebow played in the SEC, what he do in the NFL? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young beat competition in college, how about the NFL? Matt Leinart? Who was Russell Wilson's competition in college? RGIII's?
I tend to agree..Many NFL scouts and mock drafters/talent evaluators tend to make too much out of who a guy has played & the player doesn't have any control over that. Personally, competition is one of the last metrics i use when evaluating a guy largely b/c it tells you next to nothing of what a guy is gonna do on the next level.

That's what's going on with Manziel right now & a little bit of the reason why folks seem to be overlooking Bridgewater. People see Manziel's numbers & who he played against & are overrating him quite a bit imo. Why? Largely b/c he did what he did in "The mighty SEC".

The reality of it is, while the SEC has had more talent drafted into the NFL over the last several years, That talent isn't really translating into them being the most dominant players in the NFL year in & out. Just this past year, If you look at the top 5 of every statistical list in the regular season, there aren't many SEC guys up there.

Qb's by passing yardage = Peyton Manning, Matt Stafford
Rb's by rushing yardage = 0 from the SEC
WR by recieving yardage = AJ Green

Oh but you say the SEC is known for defense...well

defensive players by tackles = 0 from the SEC
defensive players by sacks = 1, Greg Hardy
defensive players by ints = 1, Brandon Boykin

Even if you drop down to top 10 of all statistical categories, you're not adding very many more names of guys from the SEC.

In all honesty, The ACC seems to be putting more premium talent in the NFL.

Qb's by passing yardage = 2, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers
Rb's by rushing yardage = 0
WR by recieving yardage = 2, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas

defensive players by tackles = 1, Luke Keuchly
defensive players by sacks = 2, Robert Quinn, Mario Williams
defensive players by ints = 1, Antrelle Rolle

The Pac 12 isn't doing to shabby either...better than the SEC anyway.

Obviously, there's a little more depth to it than just this, but i confirms what i've felt for a while now & have thought that the competition/NFL talent thing in regards to the SEC has been overplayed for a minute now b/c of their run of BCS championships.

You can also do the little exercise of going up & down our roster & see how many SEC guys are actually making a positive impact on our team....not many if any at all.

J-Jo
K-jax
Swearinger

..I ain't impressed
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1529
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What exactly are intangibles?
Toughness, leadership, short memory, dedication.

Stuff you can't measure.
Old 02-07-2014   #1530
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 351224 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy Bridgewater Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Louisville QB
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1531
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Ah, joined date complex. Got it now.

What advice should I take?

Ignore feature? I didn't give any advice to TK. That was for you.

You quoted me, I responded. I didn't engage you.
Nope, no complex at all. You tried to be condescending, I decided to write it off to ignorance.

Advice - Ignore TKs posts if you don't wish to engage in debate. (as you yourself suggested)

You did give advice to TK - you told him you weren't interested in debate.

You keep quoting me, I respond as well.

Is today's lesson over?
Old 02-07-2014   #1532
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The reality of it is, while the SEC has had more talent drafted into the NFL over the last several years, That talent isn't really translating into them being the most dominant players in the NFL year in & out. Just this past year, If you look at the top 5 of every statistical list in the regular season, there aren't many SEC guys up there.
If you don't mind, can you tell us which conference the top 10 QBs from last year came from? & which rounds they were selected?

Please?
Old 02-07-2014   #1533
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You did give advice to TK - you told him you weren't interested in debating
That's not advice. That was a statement. Wasn't attempting to be condescending either. That's in your head. Part of the complex you have.

Funny that you had a such a big issue with it when the person who was actually involved didn't feel the need to reply. Conversation was over.

But your complex is semi-amusing/interesting so what the hell. I'll play. Pm the next reply so we don't further muck up the thread.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1534
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't mind, can you tell us which conference the top 10 QBs from last year came from? & which rounds they were selected?

Please?
By what standard though? if we use statistics (total offense) from reg season:

Manning -SEC
Brees - Big 10
Stafford - SEC
Ryan - ACC
Rivers- ACC
Brady - Big 10
Dalton - Big 12
Palmer - Pac 12
Rothlisberger - MAC
Tannehill - SEC

All those guys were top 15 1st round guys except Brees (2nd) Brady (6th) & Dalton (2nd-3rd i believe)

If you're talking top guys by consensus best...in no specific order:

Manning -SEC
Brees - Big 10
Brady - Big 10
Rodgers - Pac 12
Luck - Pac 12
Rivers - ACC
Wilson - Big 10
Kaepernick - WAC
Rothlisberger - MAC
Ryan - ACC

Most of these are top 15 1st round guys as well. except again Brees & Brady & then add in Wilson & Kaep as 3rd rounders

Honestly, you could take Kaepernick off & put any number of guys in his place (Flacco-Colonial athletic...something, Stafford-SEC, Newton-SEC ...Romo - some Div. II conference not even worth mentioning.)
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1535
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Please?
I randomly did this pretty recently making a debate with someone, lol. This is based on Yards FYI.

TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1536
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wanted to add another obscure analyst to the enjoyable argument thus far I particularly like the bolded. I know, I know Matt Miller is a bum, he probably said that Jamarcus Russel would be the GOAT and hence he should be selling womens underwear, regardless ENJOY! =)

Quote:
The second highest grade I've given to a quarterback in the last decade, second only to Andrew Luck, Teddy Bridgewater is a sure-fire franchise player at the next level—or at least he should be.

Looking at the Louisville passer, it's easy to fall in love with his pre- and post-snap ability and presence. Ask Bridgewater to make a pre-snap read and change the play? He'll do it while the rest of the quarterbacks in college are looking to the sideline for a poster board with a picture of Marilyn Monroe on it to give them the read. Bridgewater makes his own reads, and he shows the high-level intelligence and recognition needed to step right into an NFL system.

Once on the field, Bridgewater can be whomever you want him to be. Need a runner? He's done it. Check out the South Florida game from 2012 and his 7.4 yards per carry average. Want someone to stand tall in the pocket and make big plays? Jon Bostic damn-near took his head off in the 2012 Sugar Bowl, and Bridgewater stood in there, took the kill-shot and completed the pass.

Oh, and Louisville won that game, even though everyone will tell you he's yet to beat a real defense. He knows where to put the ball so his guys can win, and he did that against Kentucky to get DeVante Parker in a situation to win a jump-ball in the end zone.

Go through the last two years, and you'll see examples of this over and over again: Bridgewater making plays with his feet, Bridgewater making plays with his eyes, Bridgewater winning with his arm, etc. That's what he does, and it's why an NFL team should be drafting him No. 1 overall.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r84nm8BxcE98g2
Old 02-07-2014   #1537
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Pffff and right on cue TT's own pro analysts spew the "Peter King doesn't know anything" crap. Nauseating.
Peter King barely knows more about football than crap, but it's hard to know for sure since his articles center around airports, starbucks and traffic.
Old 02-07-2014   #1538
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Please don't spend the #1 pick on somebody named Clooney.
But Rosemary had such a lovely voice!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1539
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So having just a really good QB is more important than having a hall of fame defender? That's insane. Here's why. You can find "really good" QB's in the second and third round. You do t get many chances to draft potential hall of famers.
See, this is where I disagree. How many real good QBs are in the NFL? IŽd say 10, maybe 12 tops. Sure, there are several mid to late rounders in that list, but most were taken in the first round. Oh, and I wouldn`t call guys like Dalton or Schaub a really good QB.

And then look at how many QBs were selected in total in the last 10 years... IŽd guess easily over 100. In the first 3 rounds? Probably around 50?

It is hard to find a very good QB - really hard. You usually can`t get one via trade or free agency and the draft is a lottery. If you pick first your odds are the best.

So yeah, a real good QB is worth more than a hall of fame defender - at least in my book. Simply because they are a lot harder to get and influence the game a lot more. And by the way, we already have a hall of fame defender on our team (probably at least) - and he already has a lot of talent by his side. And our defense will get more help in the draft, probably a pass rusher, an inside LB and a safety.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1540
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
See, this is where I disagree. How many real good QBs are in the NFL? IŽd say 10, maybe 12 tops. Sure, there are several mid to late rounders in that list, but most were taken in the first round. Oh, and I wouldn`t call guys like Dalton or Schaub a really good QB.

And then look at how many QBs were selected in total in the last 10 years... IŽd guess easily over 100. In the first 3 rounds? Probably around 50?

It is hard to find a very good QB - really hard. You usually can`t get one via trade or free agency and the draft is a lottery. If you pick first your odds are the best.

So yeah, a real good QB is worth more than a hall of fame defender - at least in my book. Simply because they are a lot harder to get and influence the game a lot more. And by the way, we already have a hall of fame defender on our team (probably at least) - and he already has a lot of talent by his side. And our defense will get more help in the draft, probably a pass rusher, an inside LB and a safety.
It is much easier to find a good QB than an elite one. I would say you average about one elite QB every other year while seeing a couple of good QBs each year. Probably a similar number of backup quality QBs in any given year.

The question with using a #1 pick is whether any QB is an Elite QB prospect. I don't see any. If not, then you either go with BPA or trade down where you don't leave too much talent on the table to fill your need.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read