Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-06-2014   #1501
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I believe finding a franchise QB is a priority, however I don't believe that means we have to use the 1st overall selection to draft a QB, especially if you do not believe one guy has separated himself far above the others.

Some people believe Bridgewater is that guy, I don't.

I believe this is a really good QB draft, but in terms of quantity, not quality. Pre-combine it looks like a bunch of late 1st early 2nd round QBs. Picking any of them earlier does not make them better.

I want the best QB of the bunch & if that's Bridgewater so be it, but overpaying for him is not going to help this franchise get to where we want it to be. We took Carr, should have taken Peppers, even though our need for a QB was just as real then. We took Travis Johnson instead of Roddy White. We didn't improve our pass rush, run defense, our receiving corps, or our QB's production.

We've got to get better at assessing a player's value, if we're ever going to get true value out of our players; like Seatle, or New England. There are deals to be had in every draft, we've got to stop making it easy for the other teams to make them.

Maybe Bridgewater can separate himself with an exceptional combine...... but I don't see it.
Nice thunder!
Old 02-06-2014   #1502
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe this is a really good QB draft, but in terms of quantity, not quality.
Not sure how having a lot of crap adds up to anything really good. You can pile it as high as you want and it is still crap. Quantity means jack when you need one of quality.
Old 02-06-2014   #1503
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
We should only take a QB if we are sure but since we have the chance to fix the QB position we should do it even if superior talent is available?

I'm so confused

Coincidently, the last defensive player in Clowney's stratosphere was Suh, who went No. 2, behind Sam Bradford -- a player Bussell feels is the closest recent comparison for Bridgewater. So far, Bradford has underwhelmed while Suh, despite occasional lapses in judgment, has proved to be one of the most disruptive interior players in the league. In other words, Detroit seems to have gotten the better end of that pair of selections.
Clowney possesses the type of talent to make any team who passes on him look inept.

Read More
I like how you use Suh as a comparison. I'm not blaming Suh but that Detroit team has been mediocre for years. No matter how dominant they are one defensive player can only do so much. Julius Peppers' Bears are mediocre, Mario Williams' Bills have been terrible and Watt didn't help stop Houston's 14 game losing streak this year. A franchise caliber QB would be so much more effective if you want to turn around this team faster.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #1504
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited about tb. I really, really hope he's the guy. Not picking him is going to sting a little.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #1505
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I like how you use Suh as a comparison. I'm not blaming Suh but that Detroit team has been mediocre for years. No matter how dominant they are one defensive player can only do so much. Julius Peppers' Bears are mediocre, Mario Williams' Bills have been terrible and Watt didn't help stop Houston's 14 game losing streak this year. A franchise caliber QB would be so much more effective if you want to turn around this team faster.
Well no ****. My point was of one of these three isn't a franchise QB you don't force it. Take the best player. I would rather have two dominant defensive players that only one with an average QB.
Old 02-07-2014   #1506
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We should only take a QB if we are sure but since we have the chance to fix the QB position we should do it even if superior talent is available?

I'm so confused

Coincidently, the last defensive player in Clowney's stratosphere was Suh, who went No. 2, behind Sam Bradford -- a player Bussell feels is the closest recent comparison for Bridgewater. So far, Bradford has underwhelmed while Suh, despite occasional lapses in judgment, has proved to be one of the most disruptive interior players in the league. In other words, Detroit seems to have gotten the better end of that pair of selections.
Clowney possesses the type of talent to make any team who passes on him look inept.

Read More
Well, let me explain my thoughts for you: we should only take a QB if we are sure he could he our QB for the future. But if there is one, that could be that for us we absolutely need to take him, even if there is a player with more talent available.

So even if Clowney is going to be a hall of famer in our book and Bridgewater just a really good QB - we should take Bridgewater. Simply because the QB position is that much more important.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1507
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm so confused

Read More
Detroit also has a 1.01 QB, and a 1.02 WR that have a lot to do with their team success.

In the last 4 years the Lions have had 21, 23, 13, and 16th ranked defense. One man didn't make the defense great.

Am I arguing that Bradford is a better player? No way, I hate Bradford (even though in his defense you can't totally close the book because of injuries although I kind of have), but the impact of Suh on total team success is arguable at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Yep. I am starting to feel like I've been here before, somewhere in the last 76 pages...
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2014   #1508
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Miller

Quote:
The second highest grade I've given to a quarterback in the last decade, second only to Andrew Luck, Teddy Bridgewater is a sure-fire franchise player at the next level—or at least he should be.

Looking at the Louisville passer, it's easy to fall in love with his pre- and post-snap ability and presence. Ask Bridgewater to make a pre-snap read and change the play? He'll do it while the rest of the quarterbacks in college are looking to the sideline for a poster board with a picture of Marilyn Monroe on it to give them the read. Bridgewater makes his own reads, and he shows the high-level intelligence and recognition needed to step right into an NFL system.

Once on the field, Bridgewater can be whomever you want him to be. Need a runner? He's done it. Check out the South Florida game from 2012 and his 7.4 yards per carry average. Want someone to stand tall in the pocket and make big plays? Jon Bostic damn-near took his head off in the 2012 Sugar Bowl, and Bridgewater stood in there, took the kill-shot and completed the pass.

Oh, and Louisville won that game, even though everyone will tell you he's yet to beat a real defense. He knows where to put the ball so his guys can win, and he did that against Kentucky to get DeVante Parker in a situation to win a jump-ball in the end zone.

Go through the last two years, and you'll see examples of this over and over again: Bridgewater making plays with his feet, Bridgewater making plays with his eyes, Bridgewater winning with his arm, etc. That's what he does, and it's why an NFL team should be drafting him No. 1 overall.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1509
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I feel the exact same way. I honestly don't think bridgewater is that far behind luck as a prospect.

And I think if he goes to the right situation he could be better as a young player than luck. I think houston would be the perfect fit for bridgewater. The city would fall in love with him.

I honestly think he's head and shoulders above every prospect I've watched in this draft.

That's why I keep saying it'll sting to pass on him....but I will remain hopeful if we do. It's not that I hate the other prospects. I just love what I see when I watch teddy. I think in houston he would be a great, great player.
Old 02-07-2014   #1510
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I feel the exact same way. I honestly don't think bridgewater is that far behind luck as a prospect.

And I think if he goes to the right situation he could be better as a young player than luck. I think houston would be the perfect fit for bridgewater. The city would fall in love with him.
Well, let's look at the 2012 QBs & the success they've had early.... Ryan Griffin & Russell Wilson had better rookie seasons. Russell Wilson had a better sophomore season. Ryan Tannehill had a comparable rookie season & not far behind as a sophomore (imagine Tannehill had Hilton instead of that bust Wallace).

& Luck was the highest graded QB?? Either the grading was flawed, or the game is changing. I haven't decided which yet.

But the fact that Bridgewater is reading defenses & calling plays against the ACC doesn't really sell me on him when guys are coming out of the Pac-12 or the Big-12 & doing it in year 1 with no problems.
Old 02-07-2014   #1511
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, let's look at the 2012 QBs & the success they've had early.... Ryan Griffin & Russell Wilson had better rookie seasons. Russell Wilson had a better sophomore season. Ryan Tannehill had a comparable rookie season & not far behind as a sophomore (imagine Tannehill had Hilton instead of that bust Wallace).

& Luck was the highest graded QB?? Either the grading was flawed, or the game is changing. I haven't decided which yet.

But the fact that Bridgewater is reading defenses & calling plays against the ACC doesn't really sell me on him when guys are coming out of the Pac-12 or the Big-12 & doing it in year 1 with no problems.
Ryan Griffin? I assume typo.

Imagine if Wallace had Luck instead of that bust Tannehill. It can go both ways. Wallace didn't put up $60 mill numbers, but he wasn't a bust either, same way Tan isn't a bust yet. Wallace has shown he can make it rain in the NFL though and Tan hasn't done that for me yet.

AAC actually, which is even worse to help your argument.

I'm not saying this happened, but one might be able to say the league caught up to RG3, and he will need to take his game to the next level to stay in front. So now you've got Luck, who is obviously a better prospect and Wilson, who has 'arguably' the greatest defense of all time on the other side of the ball.

I hear you though and you do raise some valid points. TB won't be Luck, but he can be a damn good TB.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1512
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Ryan Griffin? I assume typo.
Whoops......
Quote:
Imagine if Wallace had Luck instead of that bust Tannehill. It can go both ways. Wallace didn't put up $60 mill numbers, but he wasn't a bust either, same way Tan isn't a bust yet.
Good point..... however, did you watch Wallace play in 2013? Ugly stuff.

Quote:
AAC actually, which is even worse to help your argument.
Thanks

Quote:
I'm not saying this happened, but one might be able to say the league caught up to RG3, and he will need to take his game to the next level to stay in front.
Well, that's the league changing thing. He was put in a position to succeed, a custom designed offense to take advantage of what he can do & hide what he can't do... but yes, he needs to gravitate towards the norm, towards what has been successful for a long time.

They all do.
Quote:
So now you've got Luck, who is obviously a better prospect and Wilson, who has 'arguably' the greatest defense of all time on the other side of the ball.
Sorry, I can't agree with you there. Based on there first two seasons, it's hard to imagine Luck being a better pro.
Quote:
I hear you though and you do raise some valid points. TB won't be Luck, but he can be a damn good TB.
Somebody likened Bridgewater to McNabb the other day. I got excited. I'd be more than happy if Bridgewater were to have a McNabb like career. I went back & rewatched all my Bridgewater stuff... I'm just not seeing it.
Old 02-07-2014   #1513
_King_
All Pro

Quote:

I think I've already said I disagree with all your takes.

This one is no different. I'm just stating my opinion and reading others. Not really interested in old re-hashed debates.
Old 02-07-2014   #1514
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Well, let me explain my thoughts for you: we should only take a QB if we are sure he could he our QB for the future. But if there is one, that could be that for us we absolutely need to take him, even if there is a player with more talent available.

So even if Clowney is going to be a hall of famer in our book and Bridgewater just a really good QB - we should take Bridgewater. Simply because the QB position is that much more important.
So having just a really good QB is more important than having a hall of fame defender? That's insane. Here's why. You can find "really good" QB's in the second and third round. You do t get many chances to draft potential hall of famers.
Old 02-07-2014   #1515
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I think I've already said I disagree with all your takes.

This one is no different. I'm just stating my opinion and reading others. Not really interested in old re-hashed debates.
And if he disagrees with your take, he can reply as he did. You expected no rebuttal to "your" take?
Old 02-07-2014   #1516
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
And if he disagrees with your take, he can reply as he did. You expected no rebuttal to "your" take?
Where did you read in what I posted that he shouldn't reply to my post?

I simply replied that I disagreed and wasn't going to expound.

If my posting style is an issue for you, there is an ignore feature.
Old 02-07-2014   #1517
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Detroit also has a 1.01 QB, and a 1.02 WR that have a lot to do with their team success.

In the last 4 years the Lions have had 21, 23, 13, and 16th ranked defense. One man didn't make the defense great.

Am I arguing that Bradford is a better player? No way, I hate Bradford (even though in his defense you can't totally close the book because of injuries although I kind of have), but the impact of Suh on total team success is arguable at best...
Your missing the point. What impact they have had is another argument all together. Who knows if sue would of made a bigger impact On the rams? The point is he's a way better player. You do t draft a QB first just because you need one. You draft QB first because you are sure he is a huge difference maker.

If Obrian feels one if these guys are a huge difference maker then fine I'm good with it. But if he has doubts the. Why take the chance? Go with the player ranked the highest. **** I don't care if it's an OT like Robinson. High first round picks need to be long term impact players. You don't risk wasting the pick because of need. Obviously there is risk with any player in the draft. Which is even more reason to not gamble anymore than you have to.
Old 02-07-2014   #1518
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Bridgewater a Bill O’Brien QB?
Quote:
Ever since Bill O’Brien was hired by the Texans, there’s been constant chatter about which of the draft’s signal callers best fits his offense. Increasingly, to the surprise of many, the talk has centered around signal callers not named Teddy Bridgewater.
billobrien

The shift away from Teddy B. is in part due to O’Brien’s history and preference for quarterbacks with prototypical builds: his two most recent high porfile quarterbacks — Tom Brady and his hand-picked QB at Penn State, Christian Hackenberg — both sit in the 6’4”, 220-225 pound range. O’Brien himself has made comments about how he adores bigger QBs who can sit in the pocket and make all the throws.

In fact, while heading the Penn State program, O’Brien did not commonly recruit quarterbacks who were below the 6’3”, 200-lb. threshold. With all that in mind, members of the draft media have increasingly linked the Texans to UCF signal caller Blake Bortles, who’s also received praise from O’Brien in the past.

Who ends up being that top selection remains to be seen — by all accounts, the pick’s expected to be one of the draft’s top QBs — but while it’s quite possible Bortles will be the guy, we still believe Bridgewater does everything required of an O’Brien QB.

To make the case, Aimal Arsalla and I have produced 6 cutups of three 2013 Christian Hackenberg games, as well as one of Tom Brady back in ’11. And on the next couple pages, we’ll isolate individual plays that show Teddy’s quite capable of executing Bill O’Brien’s offense.
Quote:

Being able to deliver intermediate throws with accuracy is critical, especially as windows get smaller in the NFL. Bridgewater regularly shows the ability to do so.

Here, we see basic play calls on both accounts but with very difficult throws. In Brady’s situation, he has to touch-pass it over top of the two Bills defenders, while Bridgewater must rocket it into a small window to his WR. The intermediate range of the field is used in a variety of ways in O’Brien’s offense, much of which requires throws of this caliber...
See all video cutup comparisons here: http://draftbreakdown.com/is-bridgewater-an-obrien-qb/

Better quality videos at above link, as well.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1519
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Competition is the WORST argument you can make for/against a player. Tebow played in the SEC, what he do in the NFL? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young beat competition in college, how about the NFL? Matt Leinart? Who was Russell Wilson's competition in college? RGIII's?
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #1520
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Is Bridgewater a Bill O’Brien QB?

See all video cutup comparisons here: http://draftbreakdown.com/is-bridgewater-an-obrien-qb/

Better quality videos at above link, as well.
I think when obrien looks at the film and gets these guys on the chalk board he's going to lean towards bridgewater. With the way it seems obrien likes to run his offense, tb seems like a sure thing to be the top pick IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read