Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-30-2014   #1401
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I can see that, but he's one of the more competitive people I've seen in a long time. I doubt he'll be ready to step that far away from the game.
It's not really that far from the game at all, plus he wouldn't have to put in hours and hours and hours and hours of work to do it. If he gets into coaching then so be it, but he's so good on camera that I have a feeling he'd be paid more to do pre-game/post-game stuff with fox or cbs.
Old 01-30-2014   #1402
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So Peyton made it to as many SB's with Caldwell as with Dungy?

Let the record show that even after having a GOAT QB Dungy only participated in 1 SB. That people would think Dungy is all that dumbfounds me.

I mean why doesn't John Harbaugh get as much love as Dungy? They accomplished about the same things. Only Harbaugh has Flacco and Dungy had a GOAT.
The problem here is that you're downplaying what Dungy did in TB. That franchise suffered through 10 straight double digit loss seasons & were terrible for about a decade and a half before he was hired. Not only did he only have 1 losing season there, he nearly took them to the superbowl with Sean King at qb...& if it weren't for a bogus call (the 1st year of instant replay i believe) on an obvious reception by Bert Emanel, he just might've done it. The drafts he put together netted 2 DPOY in Sapp & Brooks, an OROY in Warrick Dunn & another potential HOF candidate cb in Ronde Barber. The "tampa 2" defense is only in NFL vernacular today b/c he made it popular with those dominant defenses he built there. The Bucs franchise profited good off of all those things alone for years & he left that franchise in a tremendously better situation than it was in when he got there.

I only remember all this b/c i was a huge fan of the bucs at the time...they were my team on NFL gameday/Madden on Sega Genesis....lol.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but he hasn't reached that level of influence...And at this point he's more known for having volatile locker rooms and a brother that coaches in the NFL as well.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1403
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The problem here is that you're downplaying what Dungy did in TB. That franchise suffered through 10 straight double digit loss seasons & were terrible for about a decade and a half before he was hired. Not only did he only have 1 losing season there, he nearly took them to the superbowl with Sean King at qb...& if it weren't for a bogus call (the 1st year of instant replay i believe) on an obvious reception by Bert Emanel, he just might've done it. The drafts he put together netted 2 DPOY in Sapp & Brooks, an OROY in Warrick Dunn & another potential HOF candidate cb in Ronde Barber. The "tampa 2" defense is only in NFL vernacular today b/c he made it popular with those dominant defenses he built there. The Bucs franchise profited good off of all those things alone for years & he left that franchise in a tremendously better situation than it was in when he got there.

I only remember all this b/c i was a huge fan of the bucs at the time...they were my team on NFL gameday/Madden on Sega Genesis....lol.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but he hasn't reached that level of influence...And at this point he's more known for having volatile locker rooms and a brother that coaches in the NFL as well.
Yes, Monte Kiffin was a great DC and Dungy should get credit for hiring him.

Tell me more about Dungy's defense in Indy without Kiffin? Dungy did build a great team in Tampa and should get credit for that. However he should get very little credit for what was accomplished in Indy. In fact he held that franchise back with his conservative ways. Remember Peyton waving the punt team off of the field several times? Clearly Peyton was in charge of that team. Dungy was along for the ride.

I don't get why everybody in the media kisses Dungy's butt all of the time. Plus I've got very little respect for a man whose son hangs himself on a Tuesday and he coaches a football team the next Sunday. Then tries to come off as some kind of leader of young men.

I know most people buy into what Tony is selling and most will disagree with me. But this is just the way I feel on this subject.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1404
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yes, Monte Kiffin was a great DC and Dungy should get credit for hiring him.

Tell me more about Dungy's defense in Indy without Kiffin? Dungy did build a great team in Tampa and should get credit for that. However he should get very little credit for what was accomplished in Indy. In fact he held that franchise back with his conservative ways. Remember Peyton waving the punt team off of the field several times? Clearly Peyton was in charge of that team. Dungy was along for the ride.

I don't get why everybody in the media kisses Dungy's butt all of the time. Plus I've got very little respect for a man whose son hangs himself on a Tuesday and he coaches a football team the next Sunday. Then tries to come off as some kind of leader of young men.

I know most people buy into what Tony is selling and most will disagree with me. But this is just the way I feel on this subject.
WTF are u talking about? If you remember anything about those Colts teams during that time it was that it was the offense & Manning who let them down come playoff time. & the year that they did win it all..it was his defense that stepped up big....in the divisional round against KC (held Johnson to 50 yds total rushing), the AFC champ (sealed the game with a late pick of Brady) and in the SB (INT return of Grossman to seal it).

Furthermore Kiffin has made a few different stops before & after Dungy & has never come remotely close to being able to reproduce what he helped Dungy with in TB.

As for Dungy.... All he did after TB was draft 3 more DPOY's in Freeney, Mathis & Bob Sanders....by the way, 2 of those guys are going to the HOF as well.

The guy is a leader of men & knows how to pick defensive talent...
Old 01-30-2014   #1405
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Will a mod create an All Encompassing Tony Dungy thread and move the Dungy feud to it, please?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1406
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Will a mod create an All Encompassing Tony Dungy thread and move the Dungy feud to it, please?
This x 1000
Old 01-30-2014   #1407
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
This x 1000
No, because (a) I suspect it has largely run its course and (b) that would mean floating a Dungy thread into the NFL section where lots of people have no idea of the context or why it is being discussed.

But, yes let's get back on topic folks (including myself).
Old 01-30-2014   #1408
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1409
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

lol...got it boss, sorry about all that folks..
Old 01-30-2014   #1410
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

PROSPECT PROFILE: TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
Quote:
Possessing a quick release and an underrated arm allows Bridgewater to easily make every NFL throw with zip and precision when his footwork is on. Out of the presumptive top five quarterbacks in the 2014 NFL draft (Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and Zach Mettenberger), Bridgewater finished second in accuracy when I charted them out (although scouts do have one concern, which I'll delve into below). Excellent football intelligence helped him to be consistently productive against the blitz as he was able to identify where the rush was coming from, make the appropriate read and get rid of the ball quickly and on the mark to the correct receiver. Not only did his accuracy help him to make big plays, but it also made him be a much more efficient passer.

Bridgewater made few mistakes this season (31 touchdowns with only four interceptions) thanks to the aforementioned skills. Few college quarterbacks possess the athleticism to avoid sacks and buy second chances while also having a quick release and the ability to make good throws in nearly any situation. These traits are what allowed Bridgewater to consistently convert third downs into first downs to keep drives alive, something that's often overlooked. When you add up all the great things he does on film and combine that with his smarts, leadership and character, you have nearly the complete package -- which is why many expect the Texans to draft him with the first overall pick. However, there are still a few questions that have been raised.

The first relates to hand size. Scouts that have seen Bridgewater in person have told me that his right hand will measure less than nine inches -- the standard of measurement is from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky on the throwing hand when the hand is pressed down and spread out on a table with a measuring tape on it -- which is basically the minimum that NFL teams consider acceptable. Small hands make it difficult to handle the ball in less than ideal weather conditions and often lead to accuracy and fumbling issues. As an underclassman who entered the draft early, Bridgewater has not been measured by combine scouts yet, which is why the question still persists. Even though some reports claim that NFL teams are also concerned about Bridgewater's general physique, numerous scouts I have spoken to are not worried about this and feel that he will add weight and fill out as most players do once they are in the NFL...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1411
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
In depth analysis for the geeks, with film to back it up...

Futures: Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater

Read more/view videos: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fut...dy-bridgewater
"What Bridgewater lacks is weight, top-notch arm strength, and deep accuracy. Iím confident that he can improve each of these weaknesses to some degree. Even if he doesnít, his integration of his athleticism, touch, accuracy, and manipulation of defenses within 35 yards of the line of scrimmage should be enough to make him a quality game-day manager who can help a team win... "

From comments on this MB you could supplant Bridgewater with Schaub or McCarron.
Old 01-30-2014   #1412
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
"What Bridgewater lacks is weight, top-notch arm strength, and deep accuracy. Iím confident that he can improve each of these weaknesses to some degree. Even if he doesnít, his integration of his athleticism, touch, accuracy, and manipulation of defenses within 35 yards of the line of scrimmage should be enough to make him a quality game-day manager who can help a team win... "

From comments on this MB you could supplant Bridgewater with Schaub or McCarron.
Author is basically saying game day manager is his floor in the context of that snippet.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #1413
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Longer radio interview with Teddy... get a better sense of who he is:

http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...2051&f=2368113
Old 01-30-2014   #1414
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, because (a) I suspect it has largely run its course and (b) that would mean floating a Dungy thread into the NFL section where lots of people have no idea of the context or why it is being discussed.

But, yes let's get back on topic folks (including myself).
I've spoken my piece when it comes to Dungy and stick by my thoughts.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #1415
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys, first time long time, for such a long thread I've yet to see the topic of Teddy's weight be talked about. You guys think there will be an issue?

discuss. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #1416
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Hey guys, first time long time, for such a long thread I've yet to see the topic of Teddy's weight be talked about. You guys think there will be an issue?

I think it was discussed a lot in this thread.... kinda in a waiting pattern until the combine
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #1417
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here's a picture of Teddy telling Strong he's leaving Louisville . As you can see , he's way to thin .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #1418
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Here's a picture of Teddy telling Strong he's leaving Louisville . As you can see , he's way to thin .

Isn't this the guy who ended up as Fresg Prince of Bel Aire? whahaaha
Old 02-01-2014   #1419
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Hey guys, first time long time, for such a long thread I've yet to see the topic of Teddy's weight be talked about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think it was discussed a lot in this thread...
Yes, you you can the "search this thread" function upper right that returns ~90 posts on weight.
Old 02-01-2014   #1420
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Everything that could be discussed, has been discussed.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read