Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-15-2014   #1041
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35666 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB0iFresh View Post
Your right. But ESPN has been hyping Maziel to the Texans for a while now
ESPN was also sure the Texans were taking Reggie Bush back in 2006.
santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1042
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Take anything Kiper says with a grain of salt that'd take a wheelbarrow to move.

IMO, he and McShat are the worst at what they do. A select few on this board have more credence than those two boneheads. IMO, of course.

I follow a lot of what Mayock has to say, be even he has missed quite a bit the past year or two. Maybe he's studied less since he's been commentating? Dunno, but hopefully he'll come out of the wood work soon. I reckon he's probably catching up on a lot of tape now

* Former scout Daniel Jeremiah currently has us taking Clowney #1. I'd be cool with that
Old 01-15-2014   #1043
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
ESPN was also sure the Texans were taking Reggie Bush back in 2006.
lol Enjoy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...bayless/060421

Quote:
But here's the punch line in Houston: The Texans have worked so hard to talk themselves out of Young that they're now talking themselves into North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. Huh?
Quote:
Don't get me wrong -- Bush will be a Pro Bowl back. But Vince Young will be an MVP -- especially if he's allowed to strap his hometown team on his back and carry it into the playoffs.
And now to make you sad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2325442

Quote:
league sources here for the Pro Bowl confirmed late Thursday that the Houston Texans have exercised a "buy back" clause in quarterback David Carr's contract, paying him an $8 million bonus to secure his services for three more seasons.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1044
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Take anything Kiper says with a grain of salt that'd take a wheelbarrow to move.

IMO, he and McShat are the worst at what they do. A select few on this board have more credence than those two boneheads. IMO, of course.

I follow a lot of what Mayock has to say, be even he has missed quite a bit the past year or two. Maybe he's studied less since he's been commentating? Dunno, but hopefully he'll come out of the wood work soon. I reckon he's probably catching up on a lot of tape now
I really like Mayock, but I would imagine that he has fallen off a little bit since every Saturday he is now calling Notre Dame games instead of scouting other games live.

I don't dislike Kiper. He doesn't know jack about football, but he works his *** off all year long to get ready for the draft. I respect that.

McShay is a total hack. Doesn't have an original thought in his mind because he's too busy stealing the hard work of other analysts.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1045
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody have that link of rankings of how accurate the scouts have been over the last 5 years, would very much appreciate it.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1046
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post

Found this part particularly interesting.....

"Teams shouldn't be all that worried about Vince's extracurricular activities."

You could easily sub out "Vince's" with "johnny's" this year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1047
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 135090 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Found this part particularly interesting.....

"Teams shouldn't be all that worried about Vince's extracurricular activities."

You could easily sub out "Vince's" with "johnny's" this year.
You "could"...if you're incapable of any deeper analysis.
Old 01-15-2014   #1048
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Anybody have that link of rankings of how accurate the scouts have been over the last 5 years, would very much appreciate it.
There was a post not-so-long ago that had a breakdown of accuracy on the draft experts over the past 4 years. I don't have the link handy, but if you search the board, you should be able to find it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1049
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Braddock's tweets reads bottom-to-top...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
I knock him for leaning too much on his touch passes, but it truly is a strength. He's an artist w/ his touch most of the time.

The intriguing part of Bridgewater's game is how well he did w/ 7 step drops. He had more velocity & anticipation on these throws w/ no PA

Bridgewater got the most velocity on his passes when he was doing playaction rollouts, escaping the pocket, or on 7 step drops from center.

Louisville used him to start most games under center, but transition throughout to pistol, mildly sprinkle in zone-read.

Unlike a lot of college QB prospects, Bridgewater doesn't "click" thru his progressions. It's a smooth "scan" that opens up the whole field.

He's deceptive w/ his eyes & body mechanics to hold off safeties, to open up windows & hold off LBs for underneath screens.

Bridgewater has the most fluid & active feet in the pocket that I can remember from a college prospect. His eyes stay down field constantly

Teddy allows for a creative OC to give wildly different looks, weekly. He can do some zone-read, pistol, shotgun, under center, etc.

On the positive, Teddy Bridgewater has some great attributes to mold in the NFL.

Teddy's trust in his own ability to avoid the pass rush costs him at times. Has to learn to take check down when line is beaten.

Bridgewater needs to know when to add zip on his passes. He plays it "safe" w/ touch passes instead of adding zip far too often.

Bridgewater also adds in a looping motion to his throw occasionally. It's few & far between. It's not major, but needs to be coached out.

In pistol, he stares down & throws flat-footed on quick slants & barely misses I/MLBs jumping the route. He'll need to correct that as well.

Teddy has a nasty habit of sailing passes high & his targets usually go up to get it. In the NFL he'll lead in WRs carted off due to this.

On those passes he also relies too heavily on his touch. He rarely needles the ball in tight, instead he opts to lob to an area.

He operates on a defense from 1-25 yards, but when he attacks down field on throws of 30+ yds, don't get your hopes up.

My biggest issue w/ Bridgewater is his "go" routes & seam throws of 30+ yards. He throws to an area & hopes that the WR goes & gets it.

There are less questions with Teddy Bridgewater than Johnny Manziel for me, but he still has pros & cons. I'll start with the negatives...

Finally comfortable with who I believe Teddy Bridgewater is, as an NFL quarterback. I'll give my take, pros / cons in a minute.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1050
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm not really even sure what that means. Do JFF and Bortles not also face that same task?
Johnny Football is the face of College Football. Shirley he can become the face of a single franchise.
Old 01-15-2014   #1051
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Johnny Football is the face of College Football. Shirley he can become the face of a single franchise.
Jameis Winston is now the face of college football...

And don't call me Shirley.
Old 01-15-2014   #1052
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jameis Winston is now the face of college football...

And don't call me Shirley.
If he plays well in 2014, despite the "extra" media attention he's about to get, I wouldn't doubt he could be the face of an NFL franchise.
Old 01-15-2014   #1053
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah...I'm going to settle in on Bridgewater. I get this little inkling of wanting manziel, but when I watch the film Bridgewater is just so far advanced as a qb. Even in his highschool tapes he's a superior passer than manziel is now.

I've flirted with clowney, but I think Bridgewater is a much more valuable player. I think Bridgewater is going to be an elite player. Id rather face manziel as a jag than Bridgewater. I believe teddy B brings instant direction. An instant field general. A true distributor but a good enough playmaker to make things happen.

I keep looking for reasons to go with other guys and do other things, but I always am drawn back to teddy being the guy. I think it'd be a mistake not to take him. It would mean possibly passing on some fine players, but I think teddy is going to be a great qb.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1054
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

MoveTheSticks

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Quote:
I have Bridgewater as a top 10 talent in this draft but I know several teams that don't view him as a 1st round player.
I'd love to know why teams have him out of the 1st.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1055
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
MoveTheSticks

I bet level of competition has something to do with that.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1056
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I bet level of competition has something to do with that.
I would think his performance in the last 2 bowl games would negate some of that Florida last year and Miami this year ain't pushovers. But maybe it does.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1057
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Well done, thorough profile of TB with pics/audio/video on HT.com...

Texans 'On The Clock': Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Awards
• AAC Player of the Week (9/2)
• Howard Schnellenberger Award (MVP of UK-UofL game)
• Maxwell Award Semifinalist
• Davey O’Brien Semifinalist
• Manning Award Finalist
• Second team All-American Athletic Conference
• MVP of the Russell Athletic Bowl
• BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year
• Howard Schnellenberger Award (MVP of UK-UofL game)
• First Team All-BIG EAST
• MVP of the Sugar Bowl
• Selected honorable mention All-American by Pro Football Weekly
• First team All-BIG EAST by ESPN.com and Phil Steele
• BIG EAST Rookie of the Year
• CBSSports.com Freshman All-American
• Sporting News Freshman All-American
• FoxSports Next 2011 Freshman All-American

Prospect Rankings
Scouts, Inc.: 12th
CBS Sports: 3rd
Draftek: 2nd
Bleacher Report: 5th
Mel Kiper's 'Big Board': 8th
ESPN.com/Todd McShay: 12th

Outlook
Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater put an exclamation point on a fabulous career for the Cardinals, throwing for nearly 4,000 yards in 2013. The Miami, Fla., product hit the ground running for Louisville, playing in all 13 games as a freshman. Bridgewater was named Big East Rookie of the Year for his efforts, thus beginning the start of an illustrious career. Over his three years under center, Bridgewater's numbers constantly improved, as he completed a career-high 71 percent of his passes last season. The Cardinals ranked 16th in the country in total offense in 2013, and the junior's 3970 yards through the air placed him 10th in the NCAA. He finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency with a 171.1 mark.

Bridgewater has already graduated from Louisville, and opted to turn professional after his junior season. His final game in a Louisville uniform proved memorable, as he went 35-for-45 for 447 yards and 3 TDs in a 36-9 whitewashing of Miami. He finished the year with 31 TDs to just four interceptions, the lowest total in his career.

Bridgewater is widely regarded as one of the top quarterbacks available in this year's draft, although is overall value as a prospect fluctuates with each publication.
Old 01-16-2014   #1058
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every team looks for different things in their QB. I wouldn't be surprised if some team automatically rates him out of the 1st round because he doesn't have elite arm strength.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1059
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
MoveTheSticks

I would not be surprised if some teams out there see Bridgewater as just another Geno Smith.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1060
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I would not be surprised if some teams out there see Bridgewater as just another Geno Smith.
How? They are literally nothing alike besides their skin color...
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read