Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2014   #841
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I just asked a simple question. In this picture his arm is at a 45 degree angle like Montana and Bortles. The previous picture his arm is at 90 degree angle.
I was too, was just wondering what your point was. I mean, everyone who throws a football has the tip pointed out like that when they **** back, it's part of the natural motion. I thought you might be suggesting that Teddy was doing something wrong while Montana and Bortles weren't, which would have been silly because they are doing the exact same thing in those pictures.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #842
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just asked a simple question. In this picture his arm is at a 45 degree angle like Montana and Bortles. The previous picture his arm is at 90 degree angle.
I'm not super-flexible, but I just tried to do a throwing motion while moving my arm back 90 degrees, and it's pretty damn uncomfortable. I think you have a bad viewing angle to claim his arm is winding up backwards at 90 degrees.
Old 01-09-2014   #843
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Throwing motion is different when when running vs being stationary in the pocket.
For very short passes, you can toss it like a dart but if you're trying to get anything on it or get any sort of distance on it, you still have to use the same basic throwing motion.

Which is what Bridgewater appears to be doing there.

It's not an usual thing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #844
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake Bortles Example

Take a look at the first highlight here of your boy, Bortles. He rolls out and when he throws, he cocks his arm back and throws. The point of the ball is going to be 90 degrees (or more) away from the intended target if you take a picture at the right time.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #845
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm not super-flexible, but I just tried to do a throwing motion while moving my arm back 90 degrees, and it's pretty damn uncomfortable. I think you have a bad viewing angle to claim his arm is winding up backwards at 90 degrees.
Run to your right or left and try to throw, the 90 degrees becomes more natural
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #846
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
his kid's gotta be like 2 or 3 at least by now.
76 has a play by play breakdown on him in another thread.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #847
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
There's a big difference between 6'4" 211 & 6'3" 195

Like I said before. If he weighs in over 210 at the combine, I'll be surprised. If he weighs in at 215, I'm on board the Bridgewater train. If he weighs in at 220, I'm leading the parade down Kirby.
Old 01-09-2014   #848
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand this infatuation with weight. I really don't. Can someone please give me a reason to care? While having more weight(muscle) does help prevent injuries, its not like he has missed a bunch of time due to injury thus far in his career.

I mean come on people. People use to say our 230+ lbs QB was injury prone. Did he need more weight as well?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #849
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMore View Post
I agree with this.
But the other side of the "new NFL" coin is what will allow Bridgewater to become successful.
Because the immediate success that the most recent young QBs have experienced is largely a product of rules-changes how we evaluate "franchise QB" has to change. As recently as 10 years ago we wouldn't even be talking about Bridgewater as a 1-1; but it's 2014 and the game is decidedly different.
Not exactly. The new rules allows young QBs to throw the ball up for grabs more often, because of the rules protecting the WR.

But Geno Smith & Ej Manuel missed games because they got hit & injured. Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, Tannehill... they're still getting their bell rung. Referees aren't treating them like Brady/Manning.

& yes, big guys (Ben, Leftwhich, Rivers, Schaub) get hurt too. While smaller guys like Ryan, Eli, Carr have proven to be extremely resilient. But none of them are as thin as Bridgewater appears to be.

I don't like the idea of taking any of these guys at 1-1, but I'll roll with the Texans if they do & I'll be the guy passing out the kool-aid week 1. Unless Bridgewater comes in under 210 lbs. In that case, I'll bite my lip until he gets taken out of a game & we lose him for 2 or 3 games his first year (or his first year as a starter). Then I'll be that "I told you so" guy.
Old 01-09-2014   #850
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
So frail the wind could break him? How about Jon Bostic laying the wood. That didnt break his frail azz.

It sucks when a guy like that hits you, no matter how big you are. But on any given Sunday, there are at least two other guys bigger than he is, & the three of them will probably rock your boat 7 times or more.

Most men will quit before the 5th hit. We're going to find out what TB is made of real quick.
Old 01-09-2014   #851
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I don't understand this infatuation with weight. I really don't. Can someone please give me a reason to care? While having more weight(muscle) does help prevent injuries, its not like he has missed a bunch of time due to injury thus far in his career.

I mean come on people. People use to say our 230+ lbs QB was injury prone. Did he need more weight as well?
So if he weights in at the combine at say 195 lbs that doesn't throw up a red flag for you?
Old 01-09-2014   #852
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So if he weights in at the combine at say 195 lbs that doesn't throw up a red flag for you?
Not really. You can't predict injuries, and since Bridgewater has not missed a lot of time, I am not concerned.

You did not answer my question though- why is it such a big deal?
Old 01-09-2014   #853
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really. You can't predict injuries, and since Bridgewater has not missed a lot of time, I am not concerned.

Because there's not enough real issues for them to complain about.
Old 01-09-2014   #854
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No you can't predict injuries but a frail body is way more likely to get banged up in the NFL than it is in the ACC. You can say weight don't matter but there has to be a limit to how thin you want your QB.

Would you want a Fulltime RB that weighed 175 or LT that weighed 285?
Old 01-09-2014   #855
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Because there's not enough real issues for them to complain about.
That would be you in he Manziel thread. No one was really complaining about his weight here. Just saying it MAY be a cause for concern. Unlike you I'm fine with any of the top three QB's at #1. As of now I have Bridgewater a slight favorite over Manziel.

And for the record I have stated I'm concerned about Manziels size also.
Old 01-09-2014   #856
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
No you can't predict injuries but a frail body is way more likely to get banged up in the NFL than it is in the ACC. You can say weight don't matter but there has to be a limit to how thin you want your QB.

Would you want a Fulltime RB that weighed 175 or LT that weighed 285?
You are just being silly now. For the trench positions, of course weight matters. You need a lot of strength, plus having weight helps you hold your ground. As for the RB, sure, I think RB's should be bigger. But again, thats because of the physical demands that a RB takes.

For a QB, I value intelligence, awareness, calmness, accuracy, precision, arm strength, mobility and height above weight.
Old 01-09-2014   #857
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
There's a big difference between 6'4" 211 & 6'3" 195

Like I said before. If he weighs in over 210 at the combine, I'll be surprised. If he weighs in at 215, I'm on board the Bridgewater train. If he weighs in at 220, I'm leading the parade down Kirby.
I would say that Boyd will be the most durable prospect at 6ft 225 lbs .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #858
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
per Chris Trapasso, FIW
Quote:
NFL Comparison: Aaron Rodgers
Fair enough. But Aaron Rodgers was not considered the top QB prospect in his draft. He wasn't "deemed" worthy of the 1-1, or even a top 10 pick.

I also cannot say that I even noticed him during the draft. But here's one source that has him listed as 6'2" 223

& pointing to Rodgers & saying "Bridgewater is basically Rodgers" is just as lame as those "Case is basically Drew Brees" arguments.
Old 01-09-2014   #859
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
The problem here is your thinking too much into facts and reality. What you need to do here is it give it the ole full proof eye test and a swift generalization.
Wrong. The power for a throw comes from the hips.

& the concern about his size has nothing to do with his arm strength (to me) it's about his durability. We spent the last 6 seasons with our fingers crossed, hoping Matt would play 16 games... well, some of us, & one way or the other.

But I'm against drafting Bridgewater or Manziel 1-1 same as I was worried about drafting Reggie Bush with the #1 overall. He's proven that he can't play 16 games a season & his size is a big part of that. He's a RB & he gets hit differently than a QB. He's small for a RB.... 6'0" 203.... that's big compared to 6'3" 196
Old 01-09-2014   #860
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You are just being silly now. For the trench positions, of course weight matters. You need a lot of strength, plus having weight helps you hold your ground. As for the RB, sure, I think RB's should be bigger. But again, thats because of the physical demands that a RB takes.

For a QB, I value intelligence, awareness, calmness, accuracy, precision, arm strength, mobility and height above weight.
Show me an NFL starting QB under 200 lbs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read