Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-04-2014   #701
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33416 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
The "McNabb vomited in the Super Bowl" is the dumbest argument to bring up about him.
Some guys will just say dumb **** to stand out.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #702
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The "McNabb vomited in the Super Bowl" is the dumbest argument to bring up about him.
Agreed. Ridiculous.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #703
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Dude, your suggestion was pure nonsense. Bashing a guy whom you have no knowledge about as far as his up bringing or his financial situation is disingenuous. Like you have any clue at all about Bortles family life or if he grew up as a spoiled child. Lol! You're just making an ass out of yourself.

And then to somehow suggest that some guy that "you think" has had a horrible life is somehow going to be a much better QB because their life was harder has no substance at all. Especially considering the fact that the NFL has tons and tons of guys from poor backgrounds and hard situations they grew up in that totally ruined their careers due to immaturity or due to committing crimes and breaking league rules. You know guys like Pac Man, Russell, VY, Lawrence Phillips, Vick, and etc.

I'm guessing you don't even know what you like about Bridgewater at all when you're having to create propaganda like this to rep some player out of the draft. Seriously that was something I would expect to read in "The Onion" or something like that. For the record, NFL GM's and scouts usually "want" the guy that comes from a good home and a good family with good values instilled in them. That's usually something they'd rather have.
I normally don't quote you. Your caveman alpha personality is annoying. However, on this topic since you felt the need to write a page of high and mighty suburban ethics ill have you know that my beliefs and inspirations don't have to correspond with yours, and furthermore rooting for the guy who has been faced with adversity instead of the priveleged nemesis is one of the oldest plot lines in history, so spare me your socio political crap okay. Your the immature bully who gets his kicks by defaming and insulting and its sad. You might be taking a sports forum a bit too seriously.

Next time before you fly in with your cape flapping in the wind, acclimate yourself with subplots and twists among the threads and maybe you would see how some people are just trying to have fun around here and unlike you aren't force feeding subjective thoughts and finding humor at the expense of others.

By the way Bortles threw 1 NFL pass, it was in between 3 defenders and on a frozen rope, I mentioned it if not in this thread, in his game thread, but you already knew that didn't you.
Old 01-05-2014   #704
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I am no expert on QB prospects, far from it. But I like to read what other people and souts are thinking.

I´ve tried to find negative scouting reports on him - I´ve tried to find reasons why not to take him number 1. I couldn`t finde anything. Some people were simply saying stuff like "he is no top 10 player" without elaborating.

Here are the negatives I could find:

- small frame and size (his biggest critizism. Still he is considerably taller than Wilson or Brees and is a pocket passer. Also don`t forget he is only 21 years old, he will fill out his frame with a NFL conditioning program)

- not elite long ball accuracy (this was already a rather small criticism)

- small hands (some people said he has huge hands - combine will have to show)

- bad competition (he excelled in games against good competition)

That`s it - that`s all the negatives I could find. On the plus side:

- elite accuracy
- elite football intelligence (basically the Peyton Manning of college football from a pure intelligence standpoint)
- elite motivation and love for the game
- elite at avoiding the rush
- great leader and teammate
- elite vision
- pro ready

We`ll see at the combine, but from what I have read so far, I don`t see why anyone would not want him at 1.1.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #705
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I am no expert on QB prospects, far from it. But I like to read what other people and souts are thinking.

I´ve tried to find negative scouting reports on him - I´ve tried to find reasons why not to take him number 1. I couldn`t finde anything. Some people were simply saying stuff like "he is no top 10 player" without elaborating.

Here are the negatives I could find:

- small frame and size (his biggest critizism. Still he is considerably taller than Wilson or Brees and is a pocket passer. Also don`t forget he is only 21 years old, he will fill out his frame with a NFL conditioning program)

- not elite long ball accuracy (this was already a rather small criticism)

- small hands (some people said he has huge hands - combine will have to show)

- bad competition (he excelled in games against good competition)

That`s it - that`s all the negatives I could find. On the plus side:

- elite accuracy
- elite football intelligence (basically the Peyton Manning of college football from a pure intelligence standpoint)
- elite motivation and love for the game
- elite at avoiding the rush
- great leader and teammate
- elite vision
- pro ready

We`ll see at the combine, but from what I have read so far, I don`t see why anyone would not want him at 1.1.
Nice analysis. After seeing Andy Dalton today, I want to stay away from those low round QBs.
Old 01-05-2014   #706
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Nice analysis. After seeing Andy Dalton today, I want to stay away from those low round QBs.
Yeah I mean - several people say stuff like "no franchise QB in this draft", or "I just don`t see it in Bridgewater". But it pretty much seems to be more a gut feeling than a real analyzation of his traits.

To me his through the roof football intelligence and his extraordinary love of the game which leads to him spending every minute of his life trying to get better are the x-factors. Combine that with his great accuracy, pocket presence, stats and competitiveness and I see a winner. If he`d be a couple of inches bigger I don`t think there would even be a question about him - people might even compare him to Luck (not that he is his talent level, but they have some of the same traits) or Manning.

I am not blindly in love with that guy - like I wrote, I want to see what people don`t like about him to get a better understanding of why people are questioning him being worthy of the number 1 pick. Because after watching some tape and reading, what most scouts are saying, I honestly can`t see it.
Old 01-05-2014   #707
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I normally don't quote you. Your caveman alpha personality is annoying. However, on this topic since you felt the need to write a page of high and mighty suburban ethics ill have you know that my beliefs and inspirations don't have to correspond with yours, and furthermore rooting for the guy who has been faced with adversity instead of the priveleged nemesis is one of the oldest plot lines in history, so spare me your socio political crap okay. Your the immature bully who gets his kicks by defaming and insulting and its sad. You might be taking a sports forum a bit too seriously.
Dude, your making false claims that you can't support or substantiate in any way. You expect for someone not to question you about that on a sports forum when that is the subject we're discussing? Feel free to provide a link that shows Bortles as this spoiled rich kid who has been fed silver spoons his entire life as you put it. Otherwise you are just pulling stuff out of your ass to make one guy look bad because you like another. I get it. We get it. You like Bridgewater. For all we know Bridgewater is the 2nd coming to Aaron Rodgers. But maybe, just maybe he isn't. Maybe Bortles is the 2nd coming to Blaine Gabbert or Tom Brady. I don't think either of us really knows for sure. We just have our opinions on limited knowledge. But if you're going to sit here and throw out complete false rhetoric, then don't blame others when it is shot down simply as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
By the way Bortles threw 1 NFL pass, it was in between 3 defenders and on a frozen rope, I mentioned it if not in this thread, in his game thread, but you already knew that didn't you.
Uuumm, I watched that game and Bortles offense ripped Baylor apart. Bortles did exactly what his team "needed" him to do. His coach doesn't just go out there in some bowl game and design a ton of pass plays for Bortles to make what people will consider "NFL throws" just to please some scouts or increase his draft status. They're trying to win the first BcS bowl game in their school's history? And their offense led by Bortles put up like 50 if I'm not mistaken, but you're grasping at the fact that he didn't make what you call "NFL throws" when the guy just led his team to accomplish the biggest season and biggest win in their school's history. Their team did what they needed to do. The team's goal wasn't to make Bortles the #1 draft pick. Bortles had a great game none the less.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2014   #708
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Charlie Strong was introduced as the Longhorns' new coach on Monday and... was asked if the Texans should take QB Teddy Bridgewater.

"Oh, without a doubt," Strong answered. "Teddy Bridgewater’s an outstanding football player and the thing you like about Teddy Bridgewater is just his leadership ability. And not only because of how great of an athlete he is and how well he throws the ball and just manages the offense, but he’s an outstanding person. And he’s going to represent any organization, whoever takes him, he will represent that organization the right way. It’s never about him, it’s all about the team."
When talking about Bridgewater's character, Strong said it was never about Bridgewater. In fact, Strong said Bridgewater didn't want to be the focal point of the team but the team made him that.

"He’s a great person," Strong said. "That’s why, not because of his ability but just because of who he is."
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...ke-bridgewater
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #709
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Except that's what all coaches say about their QBs. I've yet to come across one saying, "We're just looking for the most physically gifted guy we can find. Mentally week is preferable so we can train him to think like an idiot. This NFL offense really isn't that difficult. You'll see how easy it is to stymie once we lose our physically gifted athlete."

As "simple" as everyone believes Kubiak's offense to be, we kicked butt when Schaub didn't have his head up his butt. Denver (2012), Baltimore (2012), Seattle (2013)... the best defenses in the league struggled with it. Schaub doesn't have audibles, but what he did have was just as effective & takes as a QB equally as smart.
Chip Kelly (he tried anyway).

Quote:
Good article.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #710
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I mean - several people say stuff like "no franchise QB in this draft", or "I just don`t see it in Bridgewater". But it pretty much seems to be more a gut feeling than a real analyzation of his traits.

To me his through the roof football intelligence and his extraordinary love of the game which leads to him spending every minute of his life trying to get better are the x-factors. Combine that with his great accuracy, pocket presence, stats and competitiveness and I see a winner. If he`d be a couple of inches bigger I don`t think there would even be a question about him - people might even compare him to Luck (not that he is his talent level, but they have some of the same traits) or Manning.

I am not blindly in love with that guy - like I wrote, I want to see what people don`t like about him to get a better understanding of why people are questioning him being worthy of the number 1 pick. Because after watching some tape and reading, what most scouts are saying, I honestly can`t see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Thanks to my job and watchespn.com, I was able to watch every game of Louisvile to see TB. As you mentioned mike, his main points, accuracy, pocket presence and his competitiveness was displayed in every game this year. What surprised me was how ESPN quickly dropped him for Jameis Winston yet Bridgewater kept putting up the numbers and playing at a high level. If his knock is his level of competition, then that won't be enough to change MY mind on him since those things are out of his hands.
Old 01-06-2014   #711
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks to my job and watchespn.com, I was able to watch every game of Louisvile to see TB. As you mentioned mike, his main points, accuracy, pocket presence and his competitiveness was displayed in every game this year. What surprised me was how ESPN quickly dropped him for Jameis Winston yet Bridgewater kept putting up the numbers and playing at a high level. If his knock is his level of competition, then that won't be enough to change MY mind on him since those things are out of his hands.
Thanks revan. Since you watched every game, let me ask you about something Corrosion said in another thread. Here are his words:

"As for the reading of defenses it goes a lot deeper than just the presnap read and maybe it has something to do with accuracy as he tends to put a lot of balls in harms way rather than where only his target can make a play , making it seem as if he's forcing a throw rather than going thru his progressions & take the easy throw. (hope this makes sense as its difficult to explain)

He also throws an awful lot of floaters - too much touch rather than putting velocity on his throws."

Do you agree with that statement? When looking at the stats he seems to be extremely accurate - very high completion percentage, very low turnover numbers and two of his 4 last season picks were tipped. But since I haven`t even watched a complete game of him, I can`t really evaluate if this is valid criticism.
Old 01-06-2014   #712
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So I dont want a QB that throws up on his teammates in a GW SB drive. Litterally choking away the game when it matters the most.

Yeah I'm pretty dumb and set unreasonably high standards.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #713
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So I dont want a QB that throws up on his teammates in a GW SB drive. Litterally choking away the game when it matters the most.

Yeah I'm pretty dumb and set unreasonably high standards.
If you read the link, it pretty much shows that McNabb throwing up in the superbowl is a myth and did most probably not happen. That is what he was referring to...
Old 01-06-2014   #714
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After seeing Andy Dalton today you should hope the Texans dont take TB #1.
Old 01-06-2014   #715
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you read the link, it pretty much shows that McNabb throwing up in the superbowl is a myth and did most probably not happen. That is what he was referring to...
TO/Runyan said it did.

So I guess it's a matter of who you want to believe.
Old 01-06-2014   #716
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
LOL, if you want to stay away from low round QBs, there are two ways to go about it. One is to just draft them at #1 overall, so then they aren't low round.
Old 01-06-2014   #717
revan
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks revan. Since you watched every game, let me ask you about something Corrosion said in another thread. Here are his words:

"As for the reading of defenses it goes a lot deeper than just the presnap read and maybe it has something to do with accuracy as he tends to put a lot of balls in harms way rather than where only his target can make a play , making it seem as if he's forcing a throw rather than going thru his progressions & take the easy throw. (hope this makes sense as its difficult to explain)

He also throws an awful lot of floaters - too much touch rather than putting velocity on his throws."

Do you agree with that statement? When looking at the stats he seems to be extremely accurate - very high completion percentage, very low turnover numbers and two of his 4 last season picks were tipped. But since I haven`t even watched a complete game of him, I can`t really evaluate if this is valid criticism.
Well I'm not the kind of guy to just brush off an opinion. I am trying to remember if there were any games in which that may have happened but I don't recall seeing him throw a lot of floaters. If anything the velocity and accuracy of his throws in every game is what won me over. What impressed me the most is his ability to read a defense and look off the safety. I would come here regularly on this thread to see what negative aspects of his game people were talking about, but IMO I just didn't see it. In the end people will believe what they want to believe but I saw enough to pray to the football gods this kid ends up in a Texans uniform.
Old 01-06-2014   #718
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That might be the most ridiculous thing I've read this week.

Quote:
TO/Runyan said it did.

You obviously still didn't read the linked article. Do you have a decent link to Jon Runyan saying McNabb threw up?
Old 01-07-2014   #719
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TO/Runyan said it did.

So you're either saying you didn't bother to read the article or take TO's word at face value, and neither is an encouraging possibility.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #720
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy Bustwater.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read