Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-02-2014   #601
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
If we aren't sold on any of the QB's at #1 then why would another team be? If we aren't willing to draft one guy with 1-1 then why would Cleveland be willing to trade 4 picks to be in that same position?
Exactly.....imo people fall in love with suggesting these trade down deals b/c not only is its alot easier to just throw them out there, they somehow get it in their head that it will ensure you get every player you might like at a position of need. The reality is, it almost never works out that way.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #602
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

As many times as I've stated my personal preference for a trade down, the vibes that I'm getting is that O'Brian will take his QB with that first pick. It's been pointed out that several successful QB's have a side arm delivery, so I'm zeroing in on all the positives that Bridgewater possesses and slowly getting on board with this young talented player. We still have the combine, college days and interviews; but it's looking like Bridgewater will be O'Brian's choice.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #603
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we aren't sold on any of the QB's at #1 then why would another team be? If we aren't willing to draft one guy with 1-1 then why would Cleveland be willing to trade 4 picks to be in that same position?
lol, that's not how these guys think.

They just hate on every QB at the top of the draft no matter what until this golden knight comes riding in on his silver stallion that is a famous QB's son.

But that year we won't be in a position to draft the QB and they will all say that's who we have to get, bla bla bla, when it's obviously impossible.

They won't realize that over the past 10 years 8 different teams will have won Super Bowls including 2 guys that your team passed on because they weren't that specific golden knight on their silver stallion.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #604
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
lol, that's not how these guys think.

They just hate on every QB at the top of the draft no matter what until this golden knight comes riding in on his silver stallion that is a famous QB's son.

But that year we won't be in a position to draft the QB and they will all say that's who we have to get, bla bla bla, when it's obviously impossible.

They won't realize that over the past 10 years 8 different teams will have won Super Bowls including 2 guys that your team passed on because they weren't that specific golden knight on their silver stallion.

Tell him FTW, explain how it only takes one team to fall in love. Cleveland missed out two years ago, will they miss out again. Desperate people/teams do desperate things.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #605
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
exactly what I have been saying for long time. Good post & reasoning especially with risk mentioned with all players in top ten. As I am a right now guy, I'd rather have Cleveland's #4 and #26 + #73 & #79 as players I love in third. I could also see then trading #4 down to pick up even more picks. No telling what happens a year from now.
If people think Bortles,Carr,Mettenburger,Boyd,and Murry are top notch type qbs,why would cleveland give up extra picks to move 3 spots? That's the problem with all these trade down scenerios which contradicts everyone who uses the trade down scenerio.

Check this: If the trade down posters are saying TB isn't a franchise qb,why would cleveland give up extra compensation for him? If the gap is as close as some say,which I don't believe,why wouldn't those teams just stand pat and take the highest rated qb? When washington moved up to get rg3,it was because they identified him as a franchise qb and they were in competition with that same cleveland team still looking for a qb. The same cleveland team who is really good in the trenches,but can't win more than 4 games I might add. Stl ,who got all these extra picks and are also great in the trenches, are no closer to the playoffs than they were 2 yrs ago and have one of the highest paid bum of a qb in bradford. I see all these great trench teams winning 5,6,7 games. These build the trench guys kill me,lol.

Again, if they acknowledge TB as a franchise qb,there isn't a pick or player you can give the texans for that pick. Think about this,who would give up their qb for JJ Watt? I mean who is the best qb you could get for one of,if not the best defensive players in football? You couldn't get any qb from the nfc east,none except ponder from nfcn, maybe bradford ,none except maybe glennon, and that's just nfc.
Old 01-02-2014   #606
Yaky
Rookie

Rep Power: 5303 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKN-F6fk6I

Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown all game long. Only 2 throws traveled more than 10 yards past the LOS.
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #607
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

That is exactly why we will be talking about taking non QB player X (most likely Clowney ) after he blows up at the combine. It's all a big chess game.
Old 01-02-2014   #608
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

So would you rather draft a QB that has the similar size and athletic ability of Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Peyton & Eli Manning, Andrew Luck like say Blake Bortles or would you rather draft a QB who looks like Geno Smith's skinny smaller younger brother who throws sidearm like Uncle Rico say like Teddy Bridgewater?
Old 01-02-2014   #609
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
So would you rather draft a QB that has the similar size and athletic ability of Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Peyton & Eli Manning, Andrew Luck like say Blake Bortles or would you rather draft a QB who looks like Geno Smith's skinny smaller younger brother who throws sidearm like Uncle Rico?
Vince Young looked good in pads too. I'll take the guy who can run an NFL offense.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #610
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vince Young looked good in pads too. I'll take the guy who can run an NFL offense.
Boom....
Old 01-02-2014   #611
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So would you rather draft a QB that has the similar size and athletic ability of Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Peyton & Eli Manning, Andrew Luck like say Blake Bortles or would you rather draft a QB who looks like Geno Smith's skinny smaller younger brother who throws sidearm like Uncle Rico?
Bless your heart, still hung up on looks and arm motions.

Name me 1 other pro ready QB who does more at the LOS than TB.

Maybe its just me but I feel UofH defense is underrated. They gave more than 1
QB troubles.
Old 01-02-2014   #612
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
might as well take logan thomas 1st overall if we're drafting on looks.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #613
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Boom....
This is exactly what I was talking about failing to grasp the logic and the absence of any common sense thinking, one comparing Vince Young to Blake Bortles and two Vince Young throws sidearm much like Uncle Rico and Teddy Bridgewater.
Old 01-02-2014   #614
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
...I wasn't being a jackass I truly want to see your evals and where our differences may lie. It will help with the back and forth discussion. If you dont want to do all of that typing that's understanable.
Comparison between the top seven QBs in this draft. This is not necessarily a direct comparison of their respective talents, but more of a comparison done to show who is the most pro ready and who needs the least amount of tweaking to make their game adaptable to the pros.

That is what I covet when looking at QBs making the move from college to the NFL. Example, I believe that Manziel is a more physically gifted player than Carr, but I believe that Carr's skills are more easily transferable and thus more likely to sustain long term success in the pros.

I rank QBs based on nine categories. They are listed in order of importance, determined by what skills I think are most necessary to be successful in the NFL. The scale is weighted to reflect this.

My rankings:

Accuracy - ability to put the ball in the safest location for only the receiver to have a play on it
- Bridgewater - 9
- Manziel - 8
- McCarron - 7
- Carr - 6
- Mettenberger - 5
- Bortles - 4
- Hundley - 3
Decision Making - ability to read defenses and find the right receiver quickly and efficiently
- Bridgewater - 8
- Mettenberger - 7
- Carr - 6
- McCarron - 5
- Bortles - 4
- Hundley - 3
- Manziel - 2
Pocket Presence - ability to locate and avoid the rush while keeping eyes downfield
- Bridgewater - 7
- Bortles - 6
- Manziel - 5
- Carr - 4
- McCarron - 3
- Hundley - 2
- Mettenberger - 1
Pre Snap Reads - ability to diagnose defense before the snap
- Bridgewater - 6
- Mettenberger - 5
- Carr - 4
- Bortles - 3
- McCarron - 2
- Hundley - 1
- Manziel
Arm Strength - ability to make the required throws
- Mettenberger - 5
- Carr - 4
- Bortles - 3
- McCarron - 2
- Bridgewater - 1
- Manziel
- Hundley
Intangibles - leadership, courage, heart, etc.
- Manziel - 4
- McCarron - 3
- Hundley - 2
- Bridgewater - 1
- Bortles
- Carr
- Mettenberger
Delivery - mechanics required to be consistently efficient passer
- Carr - 3
- Mettenberger - 2
- McCarron - 1
- Bortles
- Manziel
- Bridgewater
- Hundley
Improvisation - ability to make the best of a bad situation
- Manziel - 2
- Bridgewater - 1
- Bortles
- Hundley
- Carr
- McCarron
- Mettenberger
Size - frame desired to be efficient and durable
- Mettenberger - 1
- Bortles
- Carr
- McCarron
- Hundley
- Bridgewater
- Manziel

Total Grade
Bridgewater 36
Carr 27
Mettenberger 26
McCarron 23
Manziel 21
Bortles 20
Hundley 11
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #615
Yaky
Rookie

Rep Power: 5303 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
LOL if he can read defenses why did he threw checkdowns all game long? He threw checkdowns because he cant read defenses. Jason Campbell 2.0
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #616
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
might as well take logan thomas 1st overall if we're drafting on looks.
But ... But, what about Schnake Schnortlez?
Old 01-02-2014   #617
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Bless your heart, still hung up on looks and arm motions.

Maybe its just me but I feel UofH defense is underrated. They gave more than 1
QB troubles.
They were actually...i watched a good portion of that UH vs UCF game and they made his other lover blake bortles look like trash....u dont hear texian talking about that though...
Old 01-02-2014   #618
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaky View Post
LOL if he can read defenses why did he threw checkdowns all game long? He threw checkdowns because he cant read defenses. Jason Campbell 2.0
Are you for real? Lol

How do you explain his 460 yards against Miami? Please bless the board with your wisdom.

Pssss, QBs have bad games, I know I know its shocking to think but still true.

Continue trolling.
Old 01-02-2014   #619
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So would you rather draft a QB that has the similar size and athletic ability of Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Peyton & Eli Manning, Andrew Luck like say Blake Bortles or would you rather draft a QB who looks like Geno Smith's skinny smaller younger brother who throws sidearm like Uncle Rico say like Teddy Bridgewater?
Don't forget Ryan Leaf , Josh Freeman , Matt Schaub , Dan Mcguire , Jamarkus Russell , Sam Bradford , and Brandon Weedon .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #620
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

I forgot to add the following: que all the Teddy fanatics who have not only checked his prostrate but have also given him several colonoscopies. They will now come out in force.
What about a guy who doesn't throw 2 picks vs a terrible Baylor defense?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read