Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-02-2014   #581
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 13867 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

The only thing I'm really concerned about at this time is his side arm release. I'd like to see him demonstrate that he does have an overhead release, with accuracy, at the combine.

Plenty of you disagree, but IMO this is a major negative to a successful transition to the NFL. A guy who has so much going for him, what were his coaches in Jr High and High School thinking in not coaching him up. What was he thinking. That may be the problem, kids aren't taught to think. Well, he is what he is, now. Maybe he'll be the one to succeed with such an unorthodox throwing delivery.

We'll have to wait and see if it's with the Texans.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #582
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

So give him the Carr treatment? Make him uncomfortable and ultimately ruin his career? Yea great idea. His release point is fine considering the speed in which he let's it go. People are reaching for straws.

After looking at the pic, to me it seems like he's looking someone off and throwing in an opposite direction, but hard to tell by one frame of a play.
Old 01-02-2014   #583
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

If we do pass on him, I hope he doesn't end up in Jax. he's the one capable of turning that team around, fast.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #584
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
This is the biggest difference when discussing Bridgewater vs. the other QB's in this draft. He already has 3 years of experience in a pro system and 2 years of experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile, guys like Manziel and Petty (also Geno Smith) stand in the shotgun while the coaches do all of this for them. The learning curve for these guys is tremendous and gives TB a huge head start on them in the pro game.
Those comments by Watson bring me around a lot closer to wanting Bridgewater than anything I've heard anyone else say. Thanks for posting that.
Old 01-02-2014   #585
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 13867 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
So give him the Carr treatment? Make him uncomfortable and ultimately ruin his career?..
Nope, I don't believe in that. He is what he already is and you draft him knowing he has an unorthodox delivery. And you build an offense around his strengths.

The comments I've heard about O'Brian is that he does this - designs his offense around the capabilities of his talent. It will will be his decision whether to draft Bridgewater. And I'm optimistic that we'll have an exciting and winning offense. But the challenge and proof will come once we get into the playoffs again and face an elite defense for all the marbles.
Old 01-02-2014   #586
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

From the article it sounds like the kid is a film room rat too.....even better.

I just don't know what i would do if this guy turned out to be what i think he could be...The elation would be off the charts...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #587
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjpnnR_W4oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oW1XZvea_o
Old 01-02-2014   #588
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I'd like to see him demonstrate that he does have an overhead release, with accuracy, at the combine.
This is just an FYI - Don't get your hopes up to watch him throw at the Combine. Usually almost always the Top 3 to 5 will not throw at the Combine. Instead they will wait until their Pro Day. In a very scripted and choreographed workout they will throw approx 60 passes to their own WRs.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #589
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Say....

If we draft Bridgewater, do you think the Colts fans are going to be saying, "Damn..... we gotta face Bridgewater twice a year."
Maybe not...

at first.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #590
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
This is the biggest difference when discussing Bridgewater vs. the other QB's in this draft. He already has 3 years of experience in a pro system and 2 years of experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile, guys like Manziel and Petty (also Geno Smith) stand in the shotgun while the coaches do all of this for them. The learning curve for these guys is tremendous and gives TB a huge head start on them in the pro game.
At the same time, he may be a lot closer to his ceiling than the other guys. We may be able to tell, with more certainty, if Bridgewater will be a franchise QB after his first year, where it may take us at least three years with the others.
Old 01-02-2014   #591
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
The only thing I'm really concerned about at this time is his side arm release. I'd like to see him demonstrate that he does have an overhead release, with accuracy, at the combine.
Have you noticed how he carries the ball? Two hands, at his chest. Then he jerks it to his ear, then draws the ball back to throw it. Not a very smooth motion at all & very time consuming.

I don't know this is going to be an issue, but I know it's something brought up in every other QB prospect not named Teddy Bridgewater. Has to be a reason for it.

Taj Boyd carries the ball the same way, however he pulls the ball up & back in one fluid motion, very, very quickly.
Old 01-02-2014   #592
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 14620 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I think Clowney is a Peppers type franchise player. (the only one in this draft.) I dont see much if any difference between TB/Manziel/Bortles/Mettenberger/MCarron etc... certainly not worth #1.

Tell me the difference between these QB's and why Bridgewater is 1-1 and McCarron for example is a 2nd/3rd rd pick?
It's hard to explain to people how BPA is better than Best Player at a position of need. I just conclude that there are a plethora of QBs with potential and none are likely to be Franchize QBs. I'm pefectly willing to go with the seventh best QB, Keenum and BPA.

But I'll never be able to convince those that think we should be locked into a QB because Franchise QBs are usually only available at the top. Evidence to the contrary is irrelevant to them.

I'd also be happy with a trade down and other draft picks for the team that thinks they have a franchise player picked out. The Rams are already making their pick available for the right price. We should do the same, even if we wind up using the pick instead of trading it.

Imagine a Cleveland or Minnesota trading their Number 1 in 2014, Number 1 in 2015, Number 2 in 2014 and Number 2 in 2015 due to a bidding war. Wouldn't that be preferable if you think there are 8 QBs with similar potential? We'd get one, if not our first choice and be in a position to get high quality players at positions of need. We're losing FAs by the truckload both this year and next. We have to think long term.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #593
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 14620 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
msr.. If you think Bridgewater is a franchise QB then it doesn't matters if he's the #1 positional player or the 6th: You take him. It's the most important position on the field.
I agree. But I don't think he's significantly better than seven or eight other QBs prospects and only 5 or 6 teams need a starter. Not knowing the status of last years Linemen Quessenberry and Williams. I don't know how great our need is at that position. While risky, the only once a decade talent is Clowney, even with his red flags.

I'm beginning to lean that direction with hopes he respects Watt enough to listen to him and gets excited about the possibilities of a dominant defensive front with a tuned up motor.
Old 01-02-2014   #594
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
From the article ... this is pretty dang impressive.
If this is true and not just Hype, then I may be persuaded that he is worthy of 1-1.
Old 01-02-2014   #595
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I agree. But I don't think he's significantly better than seven or eight other QBs prospects and only 5 or 6 teams need a starter. Not knowing the status of last years Linemen Quessenberry and Williams. I don't know how great our need is at that position. While risky, the only once a decade talent is Clowney, even with his red flags.

I'm beginning to lean that direction with hopes he respects Watt enough to listen to him and gets excited about the possibilities of a dominant defensive front with a tuned up motor.
Right now, I like Clowney if we have to use the #1 overall, but just imagine there was a franchise LT available.

We may not be running the ZBS anymore & Brown did not look like Brown at any time in 2013. So we draft this possible franchise LT (& I don't care if his name is Matthews, Lewan, or Robinson) & he beats out Brown for the LT position.

Then we're looking at Rookie, Jones/Q, Myers, Brooks, Brown.... how can you not want that?

I think drafting a RT in the third or later would be good for the Texans. I think improving our LT position would take the Texans to the next level, & we can still get a one of those 7 QBs. The money thing would be an issue 5 years from now, but it doesn't make sense to manage the cap 5 years from now when either, or both may have suffered an injury that doesn't allow them to play to the level needed between now & then.
Old 01-02-2014   #596
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Rivers has had a pretty damn successful career and his delivery is straight up side arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #597
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you noticed how he carries the ball? Two hands, at his chest. Then he jerks it to his ear, then draws the ball back to throw it. Not a very smooth motion at all & very time consuming.

I don't know this is going to be an issue, but I know it's something brought up in every other QB prospect not named Teddy Bridgewater. Has to be a reason for it.

Taj Boyd carries the ball the same way, however he pulls the ball up & back in one fluid motion, very, very quickly.
I'm not seeing the extra motion that you're seeing. He holds the ball at his chest with two hands. He moves the ball around a bit when he's moving his feet. When he throws, it's a motion where he brings the ball back and forward. It's basically the same motion that Manning uses except he might flare his elbow out a little more than Satan does. It might not be as quick of a release as it could be but I'm not seeing anything that's bothering me with it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #598
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Have you noticed how he carries the ball? Two hands, at his chest. Then he jerks it to his ear, then draws the ball back to throw it. Not a very smooth motion at all & very time consuming...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not seeing the extra motion that you're seeing. He holds the ball at his chest with two hands. He moves the ball around a bit when he's moving his feet. When he throws, it's a motion where he brings the ball back and forward. It's basically the same motion that Manning uses except he might flare his elbow out a little more than Satan does. It might not be as quick of a release as it could be but I'm not seeing anything that's bothering me with it.
This should be something very correctable if it proves to need correcting.

I've said my concern, now what I really like is the fact he's been coached to run the offense at the line of scrimmage, much as Peyton Manning does. O'Brian's offense is complicated and he's said his QB's must have the intelligence and instincts to make instant, correct decisions. Bridgewater, by all accounts, is one of the most capable in this area to ever come out of college. He should be as ready as any rookie has ever been to take the reins from day one of the season.
Old 01-02-2014   #599
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Rivers has had a pretty damn successful career and his delivery is straight up side arm.
Rivers is also 6'5, but your point is duly noted.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #600
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
It's hard to explain to people how BPA is better than Best Player at a position of need. I just conclude that there are a plethora of QBs with potential and none are likely to be Franchize QBs. I'm pefectly willing to go with the seventh best QB, Keenum and BPA.

But I'll never be able to convince those that think we should be locked into a QB because Franchise QBs are usually only available at the top. Evidence to the contrary is irrelevant to them.

I'd also be happy with a trade down and other draft picks for the team that thinks they have a franchise player picked out. The Rams are already making their pick available for the right price. We should do the same, even if we wind up using the pick instead of trading it.

Imagine a Cleveland or Minnesota trading their Number 1 in 2014, Number 1 in 2015, Number 2 in 2014 and Number 2 in 2015 due to a bidding war. Wouldn't that be preferable if you think there are 8 QBs with similar potential? We'd get one, if not our first choice and be in a position to get high quality players at positions of need. We're losing FAs by the truckload both this year and next. We have to think long term.
exactly what I have been saying for long time. Good post & reasoning especially with risk mentioned with all players in top ten. As I am a right now guy, I'd rather have Cleveland's #4 and #26 + #73 & #79 as players I love in third. I could also see then trading #4 down to pick up even more picks. No telling what happens a year from now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read