Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-01-2014   #561
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
lol, thanks for telling me what to do and how to do it.

If I feel like talking about a RT in depth I will do it in a thread that exists that no one cares about. I said I don't want Mathews, that's all I owe this thread.

Real quick though... Derek Newton is arguably the worst RT in the NFL, we have 2 guys currently on the IR that will likely be taking his spot already. Derek Newton was also a 7th round pick. If you draft any RT that has a 4th round grade in the 5th round (happens every draft) I'd be willing to bet you have a dramatic improvement over Newton if you don't want to use one of our guys currently on IR. Now you have 3 guys that can fight over his job and didn't waste our most valuable in pick years.
Sure you can post chicken dance smilies if you want but most of us do a back and forth thing and offer discussion as to why we make statements. Your last paragraph is what I was asking for as that actually adds something to the thread. Hope it did not put you out too much? When you just say 'I want or do not want (fill in blank)' but no explanation, many of us will just tune you out.

Real quick, Newton played injured all season and of the 2 RTs I think you are talking about, one Brennan Williams is 50-50 to not return and Quessenberry has been noted to be a left guard.

OBTW? Prep H could help soothe those hemmorhoids.
Old 01-01-2014   #562
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Sure you can post chicken dance smilies if you want but most of us do a back and forth thing and offer discussion as to why we make statements. Your last paragraph is what I was asking for as that actually adds something to the thread. Hope it did not put you out too much? When you just say 'I want or do not want (fill in blank)' but no explanation, many of us will just tune you out.

Real quick, Newton played injured all season and of the 2 RTs I think you are talking about, one Brennan Williams is 50-50 to not return and Quessenberry has been noted to be a left guard.

OBTW? Prep H could help soothe those hemmorhoids.
lol, I was trying to figure out what I needed to buy at the pharmacy to take care of that.

Q hasn't done anything in the NFL, if he's asked to move, he will move. By the size/length of D Brown's contract, I don't expect that vacancy happening anytime soon. If he's as talented as everyone thinks/says, you move him to RT instead of making him a swing/backup Lineman.

If B Will comes back (he will) there is a 100% chance he's a better option than D Newton. You can't get much worse than the 32nd worse RT in the NFL.

D Newton is a loser. I don't care if he was playing football with a dwarf attached to his ankles all year, that mother F better not be the starting RT for the Texans next year. I doubt I'm the only one that sees that and O' Brian owes nothing to guys that Kubiak was blindly loyal to.

If your a mod feel free to move my comments into a thread about RTs that no one will ever read, after all this thread is for Showtime Teddy B.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #563
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My biggest issue is for the last two years, the people here who watch college football have been telling us there isn't a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick. Now that we have the #1 overall, all of a sudden there's this one guy & only one guy. The other QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick. Maybe not even top 10.

Just sounds fishy to me.

So I've done what little research I do... watched several Bridgewater highlights, watched several Bridgewater vs So&So clips on youtube where all they show you are his dropbacks against certain teams. I watched the Russell athletic bowl.

& I don't see a #1 overall QB. For me it starts with size. If he's not 6'5" 220-230, I start looking for the ways he compensates for that. His motion is not fluid, neither his drop backs, nor his throwing motion. His footwork is alright... not exceptional & from what I'm seeing, he's got two, maybe three reads (I'm counting reads before he starts ad libing).

Then off-schedule, he's good. Pretty good. Not great. He keeps his eyes downfield, his arm is strong enough to allow him to make all kinds of throws... but, for me, not enough to compensate for his size.

& normally I'm not too rigid on size, but this guy isn't even 200lbs. He might be 210 or 215 at the combine, but I'm talking about now. But he's still going to have to work on his footwork (dropbacks), he's still going to have to work on his mechanics (he holds the ball around his chest then jerks it to his ear, then draws back to get ready to throw, almost like a double clutch), he's still going to have to work on his reads (needs to be in sync with his feet).

He might have a headstart on someone like Manziel as far as playing in a pro offense (not Johnny's fault they don't play a pro offense at A&M), but Manziel's offschedule ability & fluid throwing motion narrows the gap quite a bit.
I'm not gonna debate every part of the post,but let me say a few things. 6'5 240? Who says a qb has to be or needs to be that size. Most will agree, he needs to add weight,functional weight,but he's 6'3 215 is adequate. In terms of mechanics,he's one of the mechanically sound qb to come out in years. His setup,delivery,footwork,balance are all there and have been since probably high school. In terms of off schedule,we've seen Bridgewater make a lot of off schedule plays after he's already made the on schedule plays. He makes thebasic plays 1st and if he has to,he will make the exceptional plays. Every play shouldn't look like a fire drill. A lot of plays are designed to be made on time ,not improvised.

You have your opinion and that's why there are message boards,but I disagree with your perception of what a franchise qb look like. That's your opinion though.
Old 01-02-2014   #564
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
My biggest issue is for the last two years, the people here who watch college football have been telling us there isn't a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick. Now that we have the #1 overall, all of a sudden there's this one guy & only one guy. The other QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick. Maybe not even top 10.

Just sounds fishy to me.

So I've done what little research I do... watched several Bridgewater highlights, watched several Bridgewater vs So&So clips on youtube where all they show you are his dropbacks against certain teams. I watched the Russell athletic bowl.

& I don't see a #1 overall QB. For me it starts with size. If he's not 6'5" 220-230, I start looking for the ways he compensates for that. His motion is not fluid, neither his drop backs, nor his throwing motion. His footwork is alright... not exceptional & from what I'm seeing, he's got two, maybe three reads (I'm counting reads before he starts ad libing).

Then off-schedule, he's good. Pretty good. Not great. He keeps his eyes downfield, his arm is strong enough to allow him to make all kinds of throws... but, for me, not enough to compensate for his size.

& normally I'm not too rigid on size, but this guy isn't even 200lbs. He might be 210 or 215 at the combine, but I'm talking about now. But he's still going to have to work on his footwork (dropbacks), he's still going to have to work on his mechanics (he holds the ball around his chest then jerks it to his ear, then draws back to get ready to throw, almost like a double clutch), he's still going to have to work on his reads (needs to be in sync with his feet).

He might have a headstart on someone like Manziel as far as playing in a pro offense (not Johnny's fault they don't play a pro offense at A&M), but Manziel's offschedule ability & fluid throwing motion narrows the gap quite a bit.

You got all that from watching youtube highlights?

Screw the combine, lets just go with TK's youtube highlight report. Id be fine with that assessment if you had followed bridgewater extensively and actually watch full games but to sound so sure and detailed just based off youtube highlights makes you sound so pretentious and fraudulent. Even your fear of his size is quite laughable. You act as if the guy is 4'11 and 150lbs.

Absolutely ridiculous post.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #565
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I'm not gonna debate every part of the post,but let me say a few things. 6'5 240? Who says a qb has to be or needs to be that size. Most will agree, he needs to add weight,functional weight,but he's 6'3 215 is adequate. In terms of mechanics,he's one of the mechanically sound qb to come out in years. His setup,delivery,footwork,balance are all there and have been since probably high school. In terms of off schedule,we've seen Bridgewater make a lot of off schedule plays after he's already made the on schedule plays. He makes thebasic plays 1st and if he has to,he will make the exceptional plays. Every play shouldn't look like a fire drill. A lot of plays are designed to be made on time ,not improvised.
I didn't say he needs to be 6'5" 240. I'm saying that is ideal & it's what I expect from a prototypical (fits the prototype) #1 overall QB...... not a franchise guy. Franchise QBs come in all shapes & sizes.

If Teddy Bridgewater were 6'3" 215lbs, we wouldn't be having this conversation. ESPN has him listed as 196lbs & that's what he looked like at the Russell Athletic Bowl. Like I said, he may be 215 by time of the combine.

& yeah, I disagree with everyone who praises his mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
You have your opinion and that's why there are message boards,but I disagree with your perception of what a franchise qb look like. That's your opinion though.
Again, he may very well turn into a franchise QB. I can't say. But he doesn't fit the "mold" (prototypical) & while he has a lot of the tools, it's not a complete set.

To spend the #1 overall pick, I want him to look like Peyton Manning, I want a rocket arm, I want someone from a "Major School" from a "Major Conference" playing a "Major Schedule" the prospect had to have played well & his team had to have done well.

Anyone who does not fit that profile (prototypical) has to make up for it in some way. Phillip Rivers fit that mold. Dante Culpepper did not. However Culpepper's mobility made up for it. Tim Couch fit the mold, McNabb didn't. But McNabb's mobility would have made him a #1 overall in my book.

Cam Newton fit the profile (even though he was only at Auburn for one year)
Old 01-02-2014   #566
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
You got all that from watching youtube highlights?

Screw the combine, lets just go with TK's youtube highlight report. Id be fine with that assessment if you had followed bridgewater extensively and actually watch full games but to sound so sure and detailed just based off youtube highlights makes you sound so pretentious and fraudulent. Even your fear of his size is quite laughable. You act as if the guy is 4'11 and 150lbs.

Absolutely ridiculous post.
We'll see after the combine & I said a little more than just highlights.
Old 01-02-2014   #567
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bortles has a stronger arm, has the same clutch gene as TB, is more mobile, both of them appear to be able to read defenses and are accurate. Like I said above they are both 1st rd picks just not 1-1's.
Not sure where you get Bortles is more mobile because he isn't. TB is the quicker of the two. Even his slowest 40 time beats Bortles average time. Not saying Bortles isn't mobile as that would be silly but he isn't more mobile than TB. And TB has proven to be more accurate than Bortles as well. After all TB just had a season of completing 71% of his passes which is uncanny to say the least. This was Bortles best season and he still wasn't as accurate as TB was last season. Not to mention Bortles went up in int's from his previous season despite throwing a few less passes where TB went down in his interceptions.

Bortles looks interesting though but really what he has on TB is size and possibly arm strength. But being able to throw the ball out of the stadium isn't a neccesity. You just want someone with good arm strength and not a noodle arm which TB does have the arm strength. A interesting article recently pointed out that the QB's with the strongest arm have a few issues which deal with ball placement, proper touch and taking certain risks due to over confidence in their arm strength.

Quote:

Just sounds fishy to me.
You are really over thinking it. Bridgewater has been slotted to many as the top QB prospect all season. No one has yet been able to push him from that so there is nothing fishy going on. Only thing that is all of sudden is the love affair with Bortles and for a bit with Carr though the latter began to quiet down a little. But Bridgewater has been receiving this attention since last year bowl when he playing stronger than expected against Florida's top five scoring defense and number six yard per game defense.

It became between him and Clowney in the beginning of the year. So it's not out of the blue or anything of that sort. No real conspiracy theory here.

As for me, personally, I still want them to trade down and get more picks. Just my preference. I won't rant and rave if they go TB, Bortles, Clowney or even Matthews (though that is one I lean more against). But would love a trade down and get someone who wants to push too hard to get one of those top players. Not enough to space the QB's from each other in my opinion to not take advantage of someone overly eager.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2014   #568
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Not sure where you get Bortles is more mobile because he isn't. TB is the quicker of the two. Even his slowest 40 time beats Bortles average time. Not saying Bortles isn't mobile as that would be silly but he isn't more mobile than TB. And TB has proven to be more accurate than Bortles as well. After all TB just had a season of completing 71% of his passes which is uncanny to say the least. This was Bortles best season and he still wasn't as accurate as TB was last season. Not to mention Bortles went up in int's from his previous season despite throwing a few less passes where TB went down in his interceptions.

Bortles looks interesting though but really what he has on TB is size and possibly arm strength. But being able to throw the ball out of the stadium isn't a neccesity. You just want someone with good arm strength and not a noodle arm which TB does have the arm strength. A interesting article recently pointed out that the QB's with the strongest arm have a few issues which deal with ball placement, proper touch and taking certain risks due to over confidence in their arm strength.

You are really over thinking it. Bridgewater has been slotted to many as the top QB prospect all season. No one has yet been able to push him from that so there is nothing fishy going on. Only thing that is all of sudden is the love affair with Bortles and for a bit with Carr though the latter began to quiet down a little. But Bridgewater has been receiving this attention since last year bowl when he playing stronger than expected against Florida's top five scoring defense and number six yard per game defense.

It became between him and Clowney in the beginning of the year. So it's not out of the blue or anything of that sort. No real conspiracy theory here.

As for me, personally, I still want them to trade down and get more picks. Just my preference. I won't rant and rave if they go TB, Bortles, Clowney or even Matthews (though that is one I lean more against). But would love a trade down and get someone who wants to push too hard to get one of those top players. Not enough to space the QB's from each other in my opinion to not take advantage of someone overly eager.
There is more to mobility than speed. Bortles is stronger in the pocket, he is very hard to tackle and has a height/arm strength/size advantage over TB. TB has an advantage in the accuracy dept.

For the record I'm a Clowney supporter and really dont want either one of the QB's at 1-1. Trading down to the Browns at #4 and picking either Clowney or Barr and getting the Browns #36 plus a 2015 1st would be the best thing to have happen. I could see this happening.

Browns- TB
Rams- Barr or Matthews, Fisher- Bruce Matthews connection
Jags- Bortles
Texans Clowney
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #569
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
There is more to mobility than speed. Bortles is stronger in the pocket, he is very hard to tackle and has a height/arm strength/size advantage over TB. TB has an advantage in the accuracy dept.

For the record I'm a Clowney supporter and really dont want either one of the QB's at 1-1. Trading down to the Browns at #4 and picking either Clowney or Barr and getting the Browns #36 plus a 2015 1st would be the best thing to have happen. I could see this happening.

Browns- TB
Rams- Barr or Matthews, Fisher- Bruce Matthews connection
Jags- Bortles
Texans Clowney
When I first read this one thing popped in my head....

'There's our b***h!' If any will make the deal and has the picks it's those stooges. Now whether Smith can get it done remains to be seen.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #570
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...rall-selection

TB sets himself ahead of the pack mentally. His ability to process information, disguise then execute are unique to a franchise QB. He can literally pick apart a secondary ala Brady/Manning. Now we have the right coach to maximize his skill sets, TB could go off the charts, not sure any trade down offers such bang for buck.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #571
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-...014-nfl-draft/

Quote:
ORLANDO — He’s boring compared to the what-will-he-do-next flash of Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel. He looks like a skinny bookworm next to the natural, all-around talent of UCLA’s Brett Hundley. And he hasn’t had many chances to exhibit the clutchness of Central Florida’s Blake Bortles.

Compared on film to other potential quarterbacks in his draft class, Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater doesn’t jump off the screen. But NFL teams still like what they see, and when they dig a little deeper, that like will turn to love.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #572
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
MSR, thanks for posting. I'm starting to kind of hope for Bridgewater but I'll still trust that O'Brien knows what he's looking for.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #573
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Count me on board with the "I trust in Bill O'Brien" train. Obviously I'd like it to be Bridgewater but I have a little faith in this new regime.
Old 01-02-2014   #574
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
MSR, thanks for posting. I'm starting to kind of hope for Bridgewater but I'll still trust that O'Brien knows what he's looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Count me on board with the "I trust in Bill O'Brien" train. Obviously I'd like it to be Bridgewater but I have a little faith in this new regime.
I would hope everyone thinks that way too. The coaches and front office will get the real story on these guys.

I think Teddy B. is the obvious choice at this point. And the article addresses alot of concerns people may have about him. Toughness. Hands size. Mobility. Smarts. Football smarts. Body size.

Video game ability. haha
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #575
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

The write ups from CBS and MMBQ should quell some dissension in our ranks. What sets apart good from great isn't in a bicep, its in the brain. Teddy B is the most cerebral QB in college football without a doubt.
Old 01-02-2014   #576
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
From the article ... this is pretty dang impressive.

Quote:
While other college quarterbacks are looking to the sideline for their on-field adjustments, Bridgewater does it all by himself.

“I gave him the keys to the car as a sophomore,” said Watson, who has been a coach for 32 years. “I had never done that before.”

Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision.

Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, Bridgewater redirects the offensive line protections by either identifying the middle linebacker in man-to-man protections, or directing the slide one way or the other in zone.

You’d be hard-pressed to find many, if any, college quarterbacks that are asked to do that much, especially at 21 years old and in a completely full-field read progression system. Most of the recent top drafted quarterbacks, like E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith and Robert Griffin III, came from systems that called for quarterbacks to only read half or a quarter of the field. Bridgewater has the ability to direct the ball to any part of the field on every snap.

“I study pro ball, that’s what I do, that’s my passion, my love. (NFL coaches) are the best at what they do, so I’ve made it what we do,” Watson said. “Most of these kids in college, the coordinator calls it from the press box and then there’s a signal system once the defense declares. The quarterback never gets developed, never gets taught. Teddy’s been taught from day one that I want him to be the coordinator at the line of scrimmage because he can be far better than me. And he can put the ball wherever he thinks is right.”
Old 01-02-2014   #577
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I read about Bridgewater, the more I like.

That being said, unless you think we're going to have the opportunity to get someone better than Bridgewater ... which means the 2nd or 3rd best QB prospect in a future draft AND we are drafting top 5 ... you've got to pull the trigger.

caveat: unless you think we have some kind of front office savants that can identify franchise qb's that other teams don't. That doesn't seem to be the case though.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #578
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While other college quarterbacks are looking to the sideline for their on-field adjustments, Bridgewater does it all by himself.

“I gave him the keys to the car as a sophomore,” said Watson, who has been a coach for 32 years. “I had never done that before.”

Bridgewater has vast responsibility at the line of scrimmage. First there is the kill system. Two or three plays are called in the huddle. Depending on the defense, Bridgewater has the ability to “kill” the first play, and run one of the others. It’s solely Bridgewater’s decision.

Bridgewater also has an audible system at his disposal, with the same goal as every good NFL system: stay out of bad plays. If the play Watson has called has little chance of success against a particular defense, Bridgewater can change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, Bridgewater redirects the offensive line protections by either identifying the middle linebacker in man-to-man protections, or directing the slide one way or the other in zone.

You’d be hard-pressed to find many, if any, college quarterbacks that are asked to do that much, especially at 21 years old and in a completely full-field read progression system. Most of the recent top drafted quarterbacks, like E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith and Robert Griffin III, came from systems that called for quarterbacks to only read half or a quarter of the field. Bridgewater has the ability to direct the ball to any part of the field on every snap.

“I study pro ball, that’s what I do, that’s my passion, my love. (NFL coaches) are the best at what they do, so I’ve made it what we do,” Watson said. “Most of these kids in college, the coordinator calls it from the press box and then there’s a signal system once the defense declares. The quarterback never gets developed, never gets taught. Teddy’s been taught from day one that I want him to be the coordinator at the line of scrimmage because he can be far better than me. And he can put the ball wherever he thinks is right.”

This is the biggest difference when discussing Bridgewater vs. the other QB's in this draft. He already has 3 years of experience in a pro system and 2 years of experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile, guys like Manziel and Petty (also Geno Smith) stand in the shotgun while the coaches do all of this for them. The learning curve for these guys is tremendous and gives TB a huge head start on them in the pro game.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #579
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
This is the biggest difference when discussing Bridgewater vs. the other QB's in this draft. He already has 3 years of experience in a pro system and 2 years of experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile, guys like Manziel and Petty (also Geno Smith) stand in the shotgun while the coaches do all of this for them. The learning curve for these guys is tremendous and gives TB a huge head start on them in the pro game.
Yep ... and that's why Luck was so valuable , they had a good idea who he was . The other QBs like VY , Tebow , RG3 , Bortles , Hundley , Colin K , JF , and so on are projections . That increases the bust factor cause you just don't know .
Old 01-02-2014   #580
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

It is impressive that he has been calling audibles and reading the entire field for two years. I like that about him. He does have a huge football IQ. He is the most pro ready in this draft. I don't think that makes him the best though, but I'll trust O'Brien's decision.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read