Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-01-2014   #541
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Early 2013:
Draftnik: the 2013 QBs all suck. Wait. until 2014, it will be awesome. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota, McCarreon, Murray, Boyd.

Fan: OK, sounds good. We only have pick 27 this year anyway.
I think they got it right. Lots of good looking QBs in this draft, but no "Luck"

By saying no "Luck" to me their saying no clear cut otta be #1 overall pick... I mean last year when they said that, who'd've thunk we'd have the first overall pick?

The thinking was that we could get McCarron, Boyd, Murray @ 25 or later. From what little bit I've seen, that's what we should do. Take an elite talent with that #1 overall. Let the Jags or the Browns take Bridgewater. We can trade back into the first to get Boyd or Mettenberger.

Or trade down, get Marriota or Manziel, & another pick in the second (which can be used to turn your second into a mid first).

If Bridgewater turns into the next Rogers.... whoops. But I'm willing to bet that he won't any more than Marriota or Manziel will turn into the next Kaepernick, or Mettenberger the next Rivers. If Mettenberger would be the clear cut #1 if not for his injury... then that is definitely who we should be going after.
Old 01-01-2014   #542
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Just give me another "red" with a cute comment and go about your day I'm thinking everything in this post is within the TOS so you shouldn't have to cry to a Mod.
People handing out neg rep because they don't agree on draft status is bush league to me. Who the Fuq cares? The pros rarely agree. Kinda juvenile.
Old 01-01-2014   #543
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Personally I like Teddy at 1-1 but I am also intrigued with Bortles and Manziel. Heck, if our guys come to the conclusion that they don't like any of the QBs, which I don't believe will be the case, I love me some Clowney too. Going to be a fun draft season, may the best man win!
This is close to where I'm currently at. Any of those four players that our new coaching staff feels the most confident in is fine with me. I think Bridgewater has a slight edge because of the offense he plays in. His superior mechanics and his intelligence. I personally want Manziel mostly because of the excitement factor, his fire and I believe he has great ball placement. He is pigeon holed as a running QB really only Teddy has equal placement out of this group.

Bortles just looks the part. Love his size and seems to have the it factor. None may be Luck but like it or not we are almost without a doubt going QB 1.1. I see things in all three that I like. Our new HC is supposed to be a QB guru so let's let him pick his man and roll with it. None of us knows better than he who will fit his system the best.

If he doesn't think any of these guys are fits then it's a no brainer to take the best Ayer in the draft. Clowney.
Old 01-01-2014   #544
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
this is close to where i'm currently at. Any of those four players that our new coaching staff feels the most confident in is fine with me. I think bridgewater has a slight edge because of the offense he plays in. His superior mechanics and his intelligence. I personally want manziel mostly because of the excitement factor, his fire and i believe he has great ball placement. He is pigeon holed as a running qb really only teddy has equal placement out of this group.

Bortles just looks the part. Love his size and seems to have the it factor. None may be luck but like it or not we are almost without a doubt going qb 1.1. I see things in all three that i like. Our new hc is supposed to be a qb guru so let's let him pick his man and roll with it. None of us knows better than he who will fit his system the best.

If he doesn't think any of these guys are fits then it's a no brainer to take the best ayer in the draft. Clowney.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this
+1
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #545
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Bortles sure has the INT factor tonight, ill give you that.
Old 01-01-2014   #546
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bortles sure has the INT factor tonight, ill give you that.
Game isn't over yet.
Old 01-01-2014   #547
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Same guy (Bucky Brooks):

FWIW, I agree with him. Bridgewater should be given a late first round draft grade.
Grades, smades...based on what Aaron Rodgers has done to date, he should've been number 1 overall...like Bridgewater is projected to be.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014   #548
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

If we are gonna point out unsuccessful QBs in the first round should we also make a meaningless list of successful ones? What are you trying to do here? Trying to compare Teddy to any of the above QBs is not very "smart" to me.
That's not the point. Jacksonville, Tennessee, & Minnesota all needed QBs. That need made them make an unwise choice & select a QB where they could have had a much better player & still got their QB later in the draft.

I don't have a problem drafting Teddy Bridgewater. He may very well be the best QB in this draft, but that doesn't make him the best player in this draft & just because we need a QB doesn't change that.

It would be like the Jets drafting Ej Manuel at 9 when he didn't have a first round grade, passing on a much more talented player. Instead, they got a guy who could help their team & still got a QB with just as much a chance to become a franchise QB as Ej Manuel.

The problem is that now that we have the #1 pick & everybody knows we need a QB, all the reports are going to come out that Bridgewater is the best talent in this draft when that wasn't the case before.

Best QB in the draft? He may very well be. The only one that will be successful in the NLF? Doubt it. The best talent in this draft? I don't think so.
Old 01-01-2014   #549
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's not the point. Jacksonville, Tennessee, & Minnesota all needed QBs. That need made them make an unwise choice & select a QB where they could have had a much better player & still got their QB later in the draft.

I don't have a problem drafting Teddy Bridgewater. He may very well be the best QB in this draft, but that doesn't make him the best player in this draft & just because we need a QB doesn't change that.

It would be like the Jets drafting Ej Manuel at 9 when he didn't have a first round grade, passing on a much more talented player. Instead, they got a guy who could help their team & still got a QB with just as much a chance to become a franchise QB as Ej Manuel.

The problem is that now that we have the #1 pick & everybody knows we need a QB, all the reports are going to come out that Bridgewater is the best talent in this draft when that wasn't the case before.

Best QB in the draft? He may very well be. The only one that will be successful in the NLF? Doubt it. The best talent in this draft? I don't think so.
What have you seen to say he's not just the best qb,but the best talent? I'll wait.
Old 01-01-2014   #550
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen quite a bit that has him listed as top 5 OVERALL talent. To "reach" for the most important position in football a few spots just isn't that much of a reach to me.

If you wait for BPA to draft quarterback you will NEVER draft a QB. Every QB is always reached for that has any value and isn't just a complete gamble.

I think of it like fantasy football and drafting RBs. If you don't reach on a RB after the 3rd round you are not going to get one on your team until everyone else has like 6 and you end up rolling out there with a loser.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #551
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've seen quite a bit that has him listed as top 5 OVERALL talent. To "reach" for the most important position in football a few spots just isn't that much of a reach to me.

If you wait for BPA to draft quarterback you will NEVER draft a QB. Every QB is always reached for that has any value and isn't just a complete gamble.

I think of it like fantasy football and drafting RBs. If you don't reach on a RB after the 3rd round you are not going to get one on your team until everyone else has like 6 and you end up rolling out there with a loser.
msr.. If you think Bridgewater is a franchise QB then it doesn't matters if he's the #1 positional player or the 6th: You take him. It's the most important position on the field.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #552
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
msr.. If you think Bridgewater is a franchise QB then it doesn't matters if he's the #1 positional player or the 6th: You take him. It's the most important position on the field.
I think most everyone agrees with this. I think eriadoc's point is that you don't make that move unless you feel really good about that QB. You don't do it just because he's a QB and you need one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #553
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think most everyone agrees with this. I think eriadoc's point is that you don't make that move unless you feel really good about that QB. You don't do it just because he's a QB and you need one.
I think some guys make playing QB look easy and folks underestimate their talent .
Old 01-01-2014   #554
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Steve McNair would be a fair comparison for Teddy B?
Old 01-01-2014   #555
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 4659 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No Steve McNair was bigger, stronger and had a cannon for an arm. Other than them both being black I don't see any real similarities.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #556
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Boyd is more akin to McNair. He's not as tall,but their build,arm talent,and footwork. Its kinda like watching mcnair when I see boyd.
Old 01-01-2014   #557
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
What have you seen to say he's not just the best qb,but the best talent? I'll wait.
My biggest issue is for the last two years, the people here who watch college football have been telling us there isn't a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick. Now that we have the #1 overall, all of a sudden there's this one guy & only one guy. The other QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick. Maybe not even top 10.

Just sounds fishy to me.

So I've done what little research I do... watched several Bridgewater highlights, watched several Bridgewater vs So&So clips on youtube where all they show you are his dropbacks against certain teams. I watched the Russell athletic bowl.

& I don't see a #1 overall QB. For me it starts with size. If he's not 6'5" 220-230, I start looking for the ways he compensates for that. His motion is not fluid, neither his drop backs, nor his throwing motion. His footwork is alright... not exceptional & from what I'm seeing, he's got two, maybe three reads (I'm counting reads before he starts ad libing).

Then off-schedule, he's good. Pretty good. Not great. He keeps his eyes downfield, his arm is strong enough to allow him to make all kinds of throws... but, for me, not enough to compensate for his size.

& normally I'm not too rigid on size, but this guy isn't even 200lbs. He might be 210 or 215 at the combine, but I'm talking about now. But he's still going to have to work on his footwork (dropbacks), he's still going to have to work on his mechanics (he holds the ball around his chest then jerks it to his ear, then draws back to get ready to throw, almost like a double clutch), he's still going to have to work on his reads (needs to be in sync with his feet).

He might have a headstart on someone like Manziel as far as playing in a pro offense (not Johnny's fault they don't play a pro offense at A&M), but Manziel's offschedule ability & fluid throwing motion narrows the gap quite a bit.
Old 01-01-2014   #558
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Boyd is more akin to McNair. He's not as tall,but their build,arm talent,and footwork. Its kinda like watching mcnair when I see boyd.
Agreed

I saw McNair when he was young and Pastorini and McNair had the best arms of any QB's I've seen.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #559
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My biggest issue is for the last two years, the people here who watch college football have been telling us there isn't a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick. Now that we have the #1 overall, all of a sudden there's this one guy & only one guy. The other QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick. Maybe not even top 10.

Just sounds fishy to me.

So I've done what little research I do... watched several Bridgewater highlights, watched several Bridgewater vs So&So clips on youtube where all they show you are his dropbacks against certain teams. I watched the Russell athletic bowl.

& I don't see a #1 overall QB. For me it starts with size. If he's not 6'5" 220-230, I start looking for the ways he compensates for that. His motion is not fluid, neither his drop backs, nor his throwing motion. His footwork is alright... not exceptional & from what I'm seeing, he's got two, maybe three reads (I'm counting reads before he starts ad libing).

Then off-schedule, he's good. Pretty good. Not great. He keeps his eyes downfield, his arm is strong enough to allow him to make all kinds of throws... but, for me, not enough to compensate for his size.

& normally I'm not too rigid on size, but this guy isn't even 200lbs. He might be 210 or 215 at the combine, but I'm talking about now. But he's still going to have to work on his footwork (dropbacks), he's still going to have to work on his mechanics (he holds the ball around his chest then jerks it to his ear, then draws back to get ready to throw, almost like a double clutch), he's still going to have to work on his reads (needs to be in sync with his feet).

He might have a headstart on someone like Manziel as far as playing in a pro offense (not Johnny's fault they don't play a pro offense at A&M), but Manziel's offschedule ability & fluid throwing motion narrows the gap quite a bit.

T-skyss i love u dawg.....but this whole post is...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #560
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol, thanks for telling me what to do and how to do it.

If I feel like talking about a RT in depth I will do it in a thread that exists that no one cares about. I said I don't want Mathews, that's all I owe this thread.

Real quick though... Derek Newton is arguably the worst RT in the NFL, we have 2 guys currently on the IR that will likely be taking his spot already. Derek Newton was also a 7th round pick. If you draft any RT that has a 4th round grade in the 5th round (happens every draft) I'd be willing to bet you have a dramatic improvement over Newton if you don't want to use one of our guys currently on IR. Now you have 3 guys that can fight over his job and didn't waste our most valuable in pick years.
Sure you can post chicken dance smilies if you want but most of us do a back and forth thing and offer discussion as to why we make statements. Your last paragraph is what I was asking for as that actually adds something to the thread. Hope it did not put you out too much? When you just say 'I want or do not want (fill in blank)' but no explanation, many of us will just tune you out.

Real quick, Newton played injured all season and of the 2 RTs I think you are talking about, one Brennan Williams is 50-50 to not return and Quessenberry has been noted to be a left guard.

OBTW? Prep H could help soothe those hemmorhoids.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read