Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-29-2013   #401
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 4892 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Rams trade the #2 to Cleveland/Oakland @ 4/5 who drafts him, otherwise #3 w/ the Jags.

Or the Rams take him themselves, because Bradford has been a disappointment and is injured.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #402
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we don't draft him with the #1 overall, where does he end up?
Jacksonville.

EDIT: At least, Jacksonville. But like others said, he could go earlier and there could be some jockeying to get him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #403
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
So the Texans shouldnt touch Teddy B because he doesnt grade out to Luck,Griffin,Manning??? How crazy is that. I guess the Texans should just suck next year too just to have a chance at Winston because he's head and shoulders better than Bridgewater right? Crazy.

Whats the difference between a prospect rated A+ and A- ?? Personal Opinion.

Teddy B is gonna look great in that deep steel blue.
I would be OK with that, With or without Teddy the Texans aren't winning the SB next yr. So I'm willing to wait a yr and get a Luck/RG3 type QB in 2015. Instant gratification seems to be the phrase of the day.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #404
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

E type
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would be OK with that, With or without Teddy the Texans aren't winning the SB next yr. So I'm willing to wait a yr and get a Luck/RG3 type QB in 2015. Instant gratification seems to be the phrase of the day.
So you think a new coach will come in and go 2-15 again? Because thats the type of record its going to take to get the 1st pick.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #405
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 4892 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I think Teddy is going to be a better pro qb than any of the qbs in the 2015 draft. The 2015 may more qbs likely to be good qbs, I think TB will better than any of them.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #406
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Alright... help me see what you guys see when you look at Teddy Bridgewater. Following is a list of NFL QBs I'm familiar with. It's already been stated (& I think most people agree) he's not Andrew Luck. With that in mind, who is he most like?

• Robert Griffin
  • Cam Newton
  • Colin Kaepernick
  • Sam Bradford
  • Nick Foles
  • Aaron Rogers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Josh Freeman
  • Matt Ryan
RG3's skill set, he's just not as quick to take off and run...His arm isn't nearly as strong as rodgers' is and his throwing mechanics & footwork are much more robotic....like he's been taught to throw it that way to make sure he gets the most arm behind it he can muster.....unlike Rodgers who has so much arm, he can just sling it without his feet being set alot of the time....

The next best comparison is Nick Foles...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #407
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Several comments have been made about TB's mechanics, specifically his release point. It's been said that he releases the ball about ear level. After going back and reviewing his highlights as well as watching him feast on Miami this is a very valid point. Fact is, it might be stretching it a little as it often seems below "earhole level". When watching Orten last night it looked like his release was at least 12" - 18" higher. As in WAY ABOVE his head. Is this a fatal flaw or something a "Quarterback Whisperer" can whisper him out of? It seems to me that muscle memory that engrained would be very difficult to alter consistently, especially "under fire".

Is that sound reasoning or am I all wet?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2013   #408
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Several comments have been made about TB's mechanics, specifically his release point. It's been said that he releases the ball about ear level. After going back and reviewing his highlights as well as watching him feast on Miami this is a very valid point. Fact is, it might be stretching it a little as it often seems below "earhole level". When watching Orten last night it looked like his release was at least 12" - 18" higher. As in WAY ABOVE his head. Is this a fatal flaw or something a "Quarterback Whisperer" can whisper him out of? It seems to me that muscle memory that engrained would be very difficult to alter consistently, especially "under fire".

A low release point is a major problem and unlikely to be fixed...that said, I have not noticed that Bridgewater consistently releases it low, though I have seen sidearm throws when he is scrambling and a trying to create. He does not have an overhead delivery like orton, that is definitely true!
Old 12-30-2013   #409
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I will have to rewatch some game tape and focus on that a bit more. I feel that low release points are something that most college QBs need to work on. I doubt Orton has had that high of a release point while in college.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #410
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
If he was wearing an A&M jersey in this highlight his detractors on this board would suddenly disappear.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #411
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
If he was wearing an A&M jersey in this highlight his detractors on this board would suddenly disappear.
Bridgewater's or Manziel's?
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #412
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
E type

So you think a new coach will come in and go 2-15 again? Because thats the type of record its going to take to get the 1st pick.
On average, when a team goes 2-14 and replaces the coach, they go about 6-10 the next year. That's at least in the ballpark to trade up.

With that said, I'm not going to be surprised if we have another 2 win season depending on how big of a change we go through.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #413
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I will have to rewatch some game tape and focus on that a bit more. I feel that low release points are something that most college QBs need to work on. I doubt Orton has had that high of a release point while in college.
No doubt. Collingsworth even asked him about it during their pre-game interview/research the day prior to last night's game. Orten's response: Heck yeah I've been working on it. I'm sitting behind Romo, what else am I gonna do?.

That tells me it can be addressed but I guess my question is how long does/would it take and how badly would it affect TB during the "relearning" process?

I'm going to pay special attention to it tomorrow night while Rick and I are scouting Bortels.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #414
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
A low release point is a major problem and unlikely to be fixed...that said, I have not noticed that Bridgewater consistently releases it low, though I have seen sidearm throws when he is scrambling and a trying to create. He does not have an overhead delivery like orton, that is definitely true!
I disagree somewhat. It's not a major problem...but as it is with short qbs, it can be a problem sometimes if you don't know how to find your passing lanes & move around in the pocket...As long as he can do those 2 things well he'll be fine & i wouldn't mess with it too much b/c you could jack up his accuracy. Phillip Rivers has done pretty well in the league & his release is the lowest i've seen on any qb.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #415
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A low release point is definitely something to be concerned about. David Carr had a low release point that the Texans tried to correct with no success. In the NFL where the players overall will be bigger and quicker, it will be almost impossible to be a "pocket passer". Bridgewater will have to use his feet to find lanes to get the ball downfield. Think J.J. Watt and the problems he created batting down passes. This is not to say that he can't be successful in the NFL. I just think it will be difficult for him to be a pocket passer, and most evaluations says this is his forte.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #416
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
On average, when a team goes 2-14 and replaces the coach, they go about 6-10 the next year. That's at least in the ballpark to trade up.

With that said, I'm not going to be surprised if we have another 2 win season depending on how big of a change we go through.
If we go 2-14 again and didn't draft a QB that means we really screwed up this draft.

The Dolphins and the Chiefs both made the playoffs though coming off similar seasons, now it's our turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
See DRS23 post about 2-3 above mine. Kyle Orton said that he worked to make his release point that high, therefore it is fixable.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #417
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
so what is he doing in this gif that Manziel hasn't done yet Manziel is an automatic bust and Bridgewater is the next coming? GTFO..

Bridgewater has done nothing that Manziel hasn't done, and Manziel did it against far better competition. Yet Bridgewater is "NFL" ready?

Both these guys could be huge busts or great NFL QBs, it all a crap shoot. Best thing for the Texans to do is trim fat, find a veteran QB that can win now or help win now, and let the young QB develop for the next couple of years while the Texans rebuild.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #418
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
A low release point is definitely something to be concerned about. David Carr had a low release point that the Texans tried to correct with no success. In the NFL where the players overall will be bigger and quicker, it will be almost impossible to be a "pocket passer". Bridgewater will have to use his feet to find lanes to get the ball downfield. Think J.J. Watt and the problems he created batting down passes. This is not to say that he can't be successful in the NFL. I just think it will be difficult for him to be a pocket passer, and most evaluations says this is his forte.
lol, hardly impossible bro. Working the pocket finds you lanes. Ask Rivers if it's been impossible for him to be a pocket passer. Stafford throws side arm quite a bit too.

While we praise Kyle Orton's high release point he got the ball batted down by Conner Barwin on a crucial 4th and short last night with 3 mins left. I thought of this in like 10 seconds off the top of my head, if I did research I could find a plethora or guys doing the "impossible".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
so what is he doing in this gif that Manziel hasn't done yet Manziel is an automatic bust and Bridgewater is the next coming? GTFO..

Bridgewater has done nothing that Manziel hasn't done, and Manziel did it against far better competition. Yet Bridgewater is "NFL" ready?

Both these guys could be huge busts or great NFL QBs, it all a crap shoot. Best thing for the Texans to do is trim fat, find a veteran QB that can win now or help win now, and let the young QB develop for the next couple of years while the Texans rebuild.
Johnny M has sick talent, no one can deny it, he's got a few basic things working against him though.

1st and foremost is his height. We've had 2 exceptions to the rule in the last 10 years in Brees and Wilson (and I personally feel we've crowned Wilson far too early).

Why don't Texas Tech QBs ever get drafted early and succeed in the NFL? The system they come from. Don't forget Kevin Sumlin came from Texas Tech and implements a similar system in A&M. Despite what everyone believes A&M isn't SEC Football, they are still just a Big 12 team playing in the SEC.

You might recall a short gun-slinger that Sumlin coached right before Johnny Football, his name was Case Keenum. I think Johnny could win in the NFL, it's not crazy to believe it, but these are some of the knocks he has against him. In the new NFL no QBs get sat anymore unless they are playing behind a legend or not good enough to start.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #419
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...afc-scout-says

Teddy Bridgewater 'a second-rounder,' AFC scout says.

"Bridgewater is viewed by many as a potential No. 1 overall pick, but one AFC college director told NFL Media reporter Albert Breer that Bridgewater is "a second-rounder. Shorter and smallish in size, but he has solid arm strength, he's a good athlete, solid accuracy. Not dynamic or a special talent, but he has NFL starter-caliber skills, and he's a good kid with all the intangibles."

Another AFC scouting director said Bridgewater has a lot going for him: "He's accurate, poised, smart, productive."

But the scouting director also has issues with Bridgewater.

"The body type is the concern," he said. "You're going to have to see him at the combine. He looks small and skinny to me. But he gets rid of the ball so quick and makes such good decisions, maybe you can live with that."
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #420
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
E type

Nope, I think the Texans will be picking in the 10-15 range and with 4 QB's better than any QB in this draft one should fall to the 8-10 range. How much would it take to trade up to 8 say from 12? Switching places in the 1st plus a 2015 3d and 5th? That's what it cost for the Ravens to trade up with the Texans and pick Flacco and they traded up from 26 to 15, so it might not even cost that much.

The added bonus is that you get a better QB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read