Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-29-2013   #381
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27943 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I'm not knocking the Aaron Rodgers comparison at all, that just seems like pretty lofty expectations.
History is made with new chapters opening for new QBs every draft. Rodgers would have been thrilled if one person would have compared him to Steve Young coming out. Instead the only thing I recall ever seeing was comparisons to Drew Brees (The Drew Brees before New Orleans).

By the end of Rodgers' career I don't think it will be crazy to say that he will have exceeded Steve Young's career accomplishments, which coming out of college would have also been very lofty expectations I imagine.

Being drafted in a new anti-defense pro-QB NFL doesn't hurt either.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #382
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I buy the Aaron Rodgers comparison, but I'm not tagging him with Aaron Rodgers expectations. It's not that he is Aaron Rodgers (if he was pick him for God's sake) - he just has exhibited similar characteristics thus far in his college career. He seems to be cool under fire, a leader of his team, and solid mental and physical tools.
Rogers was passed on by the Texans for Travis Johnson .
Old 12-29-2013   #383
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

If he can make a play like Rogers just made to potentially beat Chicago in Chicago, Teddy welcome to Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #384
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Oy vey, no reminders of that please
Old 12-29-2013   #385
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27943 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Here's my perspective:

Thoughts?
I read everything you said, and you obviously put some work into it. I know this is gonna come off as rude, but as far as your assessment, I feel you haven't watched him play any college football at all. I disagree almost completely with your assessment on your 4 criteria.

I respect you taking the time to throw out your thoughts in that long, thought out explanation though. I don't feel it's necessary that I throw points out why I disagree with all 4 of your points because I'm one of the main speakers in this Teddy B thread and you will just see me repeat everything I've stated on many different pages.

The only one I agree with you is on #3 where you state:

3. I have not seen enough of him to argue about his decision-making... From what I have seen and heard, it seems to be a strength of his.

Except that should also apply to #1 and #2. I recommend you read thoughts from notable NFL draft websites to better answer these questions. In this thread you're going to find a lot of weak arm and bad mechanics from the very people that are touting Blake Bortles or Clowney (AKA Bias), but from those draft experts that don't care who the Texans draft I fail to read those things.
Old 12-29-2013   #386
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I read everything you said, and you obviously put some work into it. I know this is gonna come off as rude, but as far as your assessment, I feel you haven't watched him play any college football at all. I disagree almost completely with your assessment on your 4 criteria.

I respect you taking the time to throw out your thoughts in that long, thought out explanation though. I don't feel it's necessary that I throw points out why I disagree with all 4 of your points because I'm one of the main speakers in this Teddy B thread and you will just see me repeat everything I've stated on many different pages.

The only one I agree with you is on #3 where you state:

3. I have not seen enough of him to argue about his decision-making... From what I have seen and heard, it seems to be a strength of his.

Except that should also apply to #1 and #2. I recommend you read thoughts from notable NFL draft websites to better answer these questions. In this thread you're going to find a lot of weak arm and bad mechanics from the very people that are touting Blake Bortles or Clowney (AKA Bias), but from those draft experts that don't care who the Texans draft I fail to read those things.

Perhaps you misunderstood my previous post... I am pro-Bridgewater for pick number one. My argument is that the anti-Bridgewater crowd does not understand that a great QB in the NFL is great, not because he can throw 80 yards or run a 4.4, but because he has a collection of good skills and a set of intangibles. I am becoming increasingly convinced that Bridgewater has everything needed to be a great NFL QB.

Here is a small sampling of what I have been seeing- consistent arguments are: "good, but not great"- pertaining to his arm, his athleticism, etc... Usually, the compliments are about his poise, accuracy, and other intangibles. People also express concern about his frame and ability to handle the physicality in the NFL.

12/21/13: Sources from around the NFL have told WalterFootball.com that Bridgewater is not grading out like other recent No. 1 picks at the quarterback position: Andrew Luck, Cam Newton or Matthew Stafford. These sources feel that Bridgewater isn't a lock to be the No. 1 pick or the first quarterback selected. A number of sources said they would take Jadeveon Clowney over Bridgewater.

Walterfootball : Bridgewater has a good skill set, but not a great one, according to NFL evaluators. He is not the athlete or passer that Newton and Luck are. Bridgewater has a strong arm, but not an elite cannon. While he has some mobility on rollouts, he isn't viewed as being close to the same type of running threat as Newton or Luck. Bridgewater isn't projected to be a true dual-threat quarterback in the NFL. The 6-foot-3, 218-pounder is also smaller than those other quarterbacks, and some sources have said that he could check in with a slighter build.

CBS: Although quick, Bridgewater has a lower than ideal release point with the ball shooting passed his ear. Some durability concerns after all the hits he has taken over his career, specifically to his wrist and ankle. He's mobile enough to extend plays, but isn't a true dual-threat quarterback.
Old 12-29-2013   #387
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like how everybody thinks this dual threat QB thing is going to take off and change the NFL.

It's nice to have an athletic QB. But the ones who have always and will always win are the ones who beat you from the pocket. If you have a guy that can do both then awesome, but it's not totally necessary.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2013   #388
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #389
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-29-2013   #390
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-29-2013   #391
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

going to his left and still squares up for the long throw

Old 12-29-2013   #392
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Wow! That was an impressive, athletic display.
Old 12-29-2013   #393
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Old 12-29-2013   #394
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Alright... help me see what you guys see when you look at Teddy Bridgewater. Following is a list of NFL QBs I'm familiar with. It's already been stated (& I think most people agree) he's not Andrew Luck. With that in mind, who is he most like?

• Robert Griffin
  • Cam Newton
  • Colin Kaepernick
  • Sam Bradford
  • Nick Foles
  • Aaron Rogers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Josh Freeman
  • Matt Ryan
Old 12-29-2013   #395
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Alright... help me see what you guys see when you look at Teddy Bridgewater. Following is a list of NFL QBs I'm familiar with. It's already been stated (& I think most people agree) he's not Andrew Luck. With that in mind, who is he most like?

• Robert Griffin
  • Cam Newton
  • Colin Kaepernick
  • Sam Bradford
  • Nick Foles
  • Aaron Rogers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Josh Freeman
  • Matt Ryan
The two comparisons I've seen are Rodgers and Wilson.
Old 12-29-2013   #396
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

• Robert Griffin
  • Cam Newton
  • Colin Kaepernick
  • Sam Bradford
  • Nick Foles
  • Aaron Rogers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Josh Freeman
  • Matt Ryan
Are you wanting style or where I am guessing he ends in the pecking order of goodness.
Old 12-29-2013   #397
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

• Robert Griffin
  • Cam Newton
  • Colin Kaepernick
  • Sam Bradford
  • Nick Foles
  • Aaron Rogers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Josh Freeman
  • Matt Ryan
my draft comparison is Cam Newton. why? because both seem to be disliked or misaligned because of personal bias, yet despite having less than highest draft grade Cam Newton went #1 overall as will Teddy Bridgewater (Cam was graded below Blaine Gabbert). A lot of people had to eat crow & they will continue to eat crow.

my playing comparison is Aaron Rogers. Quick, accurate release, pocket passer who scrambles to throw the ball not to run it. Played in Pro-Style offense. Slight build as well 6020 223. Teddy put on 30 in three years @ Louisville, imagine he will add at least another 15-20 in the Pros.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #398
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
CBS: Although quick, Bridgewater has a lower than ideal release point with the ball shooting passed his ear. Some durability concerns after all the hits he has taken over his career, specifically to his wrist and ankle. He's mobile enough to extend plays, but isn't a true dual-threat quarterback.
Thank you for clearing that up. I respect what you've said. I like Walter Football. If they say that then maybe I should step back because maybe my desire for him to be a Texan has too much bias.

As far as CBS, I generally like them, but you will notice of all draft websites (not including ESPN) they seem to have some of the wildest swings in their draft outlooks on players. I don't know how you can predict a future ankle injury when I feel like all of his injuries have been contact injuries and therefore impossible to duplicate, but he hasn't even missed a complete game at the collegiate level.

Like you said, if every place says really good, not great, that's interesting, but I'm still sold. I think a lot of tunes will change when he shows up to the combine at 220 and shows off a beast arm a lot are weary of.
Old 12-29-2013   #399
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87412 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Oh yeah?? Well does Rodgers have a career as a dim witted radio personality? Travis has you there GB can go so suck it.
Old 12-29-2013   #400
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If we don't draft him with the #1 overall, where does he end up?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read