Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-14-2013   #261
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Most of your QB's in discussion to be the #1 draft pick are usually Heisman Finalist.....just saying.

Quarterbacks Jordan Lynch of Northern Illinois, Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, AJ McCarron of Alabama and Jameis Winston of Florida State were all invited to the Heisman ceremony on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)......where is Teddy?.....just asking.
Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, you can throw Matt Lion-Heart in here even though he was pretty highly regarded coming out. And I'll say it... Sam Bradford, all the Heisman tools in the world, but he's a bust.

The Heisman trophy is a college football popularity contest. It's nominees have little factor in decision making of GMs that know what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
[b]

Bottom line is you are in drafting Teddy and I feel there's an alternative way. But, it's all good as we all are concern about the Texans as fan.
Fair enough, i hear ya bro. He was the #1 QB recruit coming out of high school and is the #1 recruit coming out of college. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by TexansFTW; 12-14-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: missed something
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #262
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
In all the clips DutchRudder put up, all I see is a young QB carving up defenses with his mind and arm. He has legs, but uses them to buy time in the pocket for his receivers. He doesn't run at the first sign of trouble, which shows that he knows what he wants to do. Louisville does not have a high-caliber o-line. Teddy shows great skill at climbing the weak pocket his teammates TRY to give him. In the Florida game, Teddy was the best player in that game on either side, hands down. He's the only tier-1 QB in this draft, and if you are the Texans, you'd better take him before Jacksonville or Tennessee does.
100% agree.

Teddy won't stay in college, this is a non-issue. They love the hell out of him in Kentucky and he feels he owes it to the people to act completely torn about this very tough decision. It looks bad when you do Johnny Football stuff and say things like "I can't wait to leave this dump".

The guys that get serious payday money in the NFL from endorsement deals are the guys that people can really get behind. He probably already has an agent telling him to say this stuff, but he has no intention AT ALL of staying.

And if he did stay, he's dead to me. Matt Lion-heart threw his career away to party in Cal, would Teddy follow his footsteps?
Old 12-14-2013   #263
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

For all our speculation, it's still just speculation that Teddy Bridgewater will forgo his Senior season & enter the 2014 draft. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ying-in-school

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #264
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, you can throw Matt Lion-Heart in here even though he was pretty highly regarded coming out. And I'll say it... Sam Bradford, all the Heisman tools in the world, but he's a bust.
Were any of these QBs you listed "in the discussion to be the #1 draft pick?"
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #265
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of your QB's in discussion to be the #1 draft pick are usually Heisman Finalist.....just saying.

Quarterbacks Jordan Lynch of Northern Illinois, Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, AJ McCarron of Alabama and Jameis Winston of Florida State were all invited to the Heisman ceremony on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)......where is Teddy?.....just asking.
What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that because a guy is not up for a heisman that he shouldn't be considered because that is a really stupid opinion if so.
Old 12-14-2013   #266
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Were any of these QBs you listed "in the discussion to be the #1 draft pick?"
Were any of those previous Heisman winners I listed worthy of being a #1 pick? I'm sure you will say no (Except for Lion-heart and Bradford), therefore why would I care about their Heisman "talent" AKA popularity contest nominees?
Old 12-14-2013   #267
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Were any of those previous Heisman winners I listed worthy of being a #1 pick? I'm sure you will say no (Except for Lion-heart and Bradford), therefore why would I care about their Heisman "talent" AKA popularity contest nominees?
Even more to the point for this discussion, popularity contest among winning teams. For example, when A&M lost its 2nd game this year the radio pundits were saying his Heisman chances had just about ended.
Old 12-14-2013   #268
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that because a guy is not up for a heisman that he shouldn't be considered because that is a really stupid opinion if so.
I'm not insinuating anything. One could deduce that QBs who are possible #1 draft picks usually take part as a Heisman Finalist.
Old 12-14-2013   #269
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The answer is NO and Lienart and Bradford both were in the #1 draft pick discussion, Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke were NOT and both Lienart and Bradford were Heisman Finalist.
Old 12-14-2013   #270
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
The answer is NO and Lienart and Bradford both were in the #1 draft pick discussion, Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke were NOT and both Lienart and Bradford were Heisman Finalist.
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2013   #271
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not insinuating anything. One could deduce that QBs who are possible #1 draft picks usually take part as a Heisman Finalist.
Texian's right here.

Normally, when a QB goes #1 overall, they've been a finalist for the Heisman at least once and almost always, the year they're coming out.

Alex Smith was, Sam Bradford was, Cam Newton was, Luck was, Peyton was. Eli Manning was. David Carr was 5th in the voting, iirc.

Jamarcus Russell was not a finalist.

So, most of the time, if a QB goes 1-1, they're a Heisman Finalist. Not always, but normally.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #272
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Texian's right here.

Normally, when a QB goes #1 overall, they've been a finalist for the Heisman at least once and almost always, the year they're coming out.

Alex Smith was, Sam Bradford was, Cam Newton was, Luck was, Peyton was. Eli Manning was. David Carr was 5th in the voting, iirc.

So, most of the time, if a QB goes 1-1, they're a Heisman Finalist. Not always, but normally.
Aaron Rodgers was not, he was in consideration for #1 with Alex Smith. Look how that turned out. I'm not sold on Bridgewater, but the Heisman finalist argument is a bad one. I don't believe that should even be considered when grading a Qb prospect.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #273
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
Aaron Rodgers was not, he was in consideration for #1 with Alex Smith. Look how that turned out. I'm not sold on Bridgewater, but the Heisman finalist argument is a bad one. I don't believe that should even be considered when grading a Qb prospect.
It's really not a bad argument.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #274
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a good or a bad argument.

Aaron Rodgers ended up being drafted 24th, anyway. Sure, everyone thought it was a toss-up between Smith and Rodgers but ultimately, Rodgers dropped. He finished 9th in Heisman voting, so he wasn't a finalist... but he was considered.

I don't know (or even care, really) if Teddy has been seriously considered for a Heisman and I don't think the Heisman should be used to evaluate talent.

But.

Texian is right that almost every recent QB picked #1 overall has been a Heisman finalist.
Old 12-14-2013   #275
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a good or a bad argument.

Aaron Rodgers ended up being drafted 24th, anyway. Sure, everyone thought it was a toss-up between Smith and Rodgers but ultimately, Rodgers dropped. He finished 9th in Heisman voting, so he wasn't a finalist... but he was considered.

I don't know (or even care, really) if Teddy has been seriously considered for a Heisman and I don't think the Heisman should be used to evaluate talent.

But.

Texian is right that almost every recent QB picked #1 overall has been a Heisman finalist.
Fair enough. Also, what about his hand size. It's rumored thats why he wears the glove. I would think small hands lead to strip sacks, and fumbles. I think his arm strenght is fine, but his elongated throwing motion and hand size worries me.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #276
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fair enough. Also, what about his hand size. It's rumored thats why he wears the glove. I would think small hands lead to strip sacks, and fumbles. I think his arm strenght is fine, but his elongated throwing motion and hand size worries me.
Small hands bother me. I'd be afraid of the Dave Krieg factor and double-digit fumbles every year.
Old 12-14-2013   #277
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Heisman trophy is a college football popularity contest. It's nominees have little factor in decision making of GMs that know what they are doing.

Fair enough, i hear ya bro. He was the #1 QB recruit coming out of high school and is the #1 recruit coming out of college. Just some food for thought.
Well you'd think the QB that you think would be the #1 NFL pick would be "popular" enough to be invited. You think?
Old 12-14-2013   #278
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 119968 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Well you'd think the QB that you think would be the #1 NFL pick would be "popular" enough to be invited. You think?
So who is this Jordan Lynch that went in his stead?

(sorry badboy, just piggybackin' you're post)
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #279
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texian's right here.

I remember when Aikman entered the draft. Rodney Peete won the Heisman, I think, and clearly had a better college year. However, watching Aikman at UCLA, one could see the quick release and remarkable accuracy on all short and intermediate routes... just incredible consistency throwing the ball. He looked like a pro quarterback. I think Bridgewater has a similar argument. I have seen less of him than I did of Aikman. However, he appears to have key NFL tools that translate very well. Also, like Aikman, he seems to have intangibles that translate to the NFL. I don't know that he will be a great NFL QB, but I think only potential injury issues could keep him from being a quality starting QB. His release, accuracy, motion, arm strength, decision-making, etc... all in a pro style offense are very good. Most QB prospects with similar credentials have worked out very well:

Matt Ryan
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Troy Aikman
Andrew Luck
Phillip Rivers

are some examples that come to mind of well-rounded QB prospects whose criticism generally came down to the fact that they didn't have any one phyiscally dominant trait that scouts could flip over.

Three things generally result in big mistakes in the first round regarding QBs:

1. infatuation with one physical attribute- great arm, explosiveness, etc...

2. product of a gimmicky college offense.

3. Lacking the character needed to handle the money, fame, pressure.

Bridgewater appears to be a clutch player and a winner, who does not lack any needed skills and has operated in a pro style offense. Is he a better option than one of the other potential pick (Clowney, Matthews, etc..)? I don't know. Will he be a bust? I seriously doubt it. I just see no evidence to support that.
Old 12-15-2013   #280
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I remember when Aikman entered the draft. Rodney Peete won the Heisman, I think, and clearly had a better college year. However, watching Aikman at UCLA, one could see the quick release and remarkable accuracy on all short and intermediate routes... just incredible consistency throwing the ball. He looked like a pro quarterback. I think Bridgewater has a similar argument. I have seen less of him than I did of Aikman. However, he appears to have key NFL tools that translate very well. Also, like Aikman, he seems to have intangibles that translate to the NFL. I don't know that he will be a great NFL QB, but I think only potential injury issues could keep him from being a quality starting QB. His release, accuracy, motion, arm strength, decision-making, etc... all in a pro style offense are very good. Most QB prospects with similar credentials have worked out very well:

Matt Ryan

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Troy Aikman

Andrew Luck

Phillip Rivers

are some examples that come to mind of well-rounded QB prospects whose criticism generally came down to the fact that they didn't have any one phyiscally dominant trait that scouts could flip over.

Three things generally result in big mistakes in the first round regarding QBs:

1. infatuation with one physical attribute- great arm, explosiveness, etc...

2. product of a gimmicky college offense.

3. Lacking the character needed to handle the money, fame, pressure.

Bridgewater appears to be a clutch player and a winner, who does not lack any needed skills and has operated in a pro style offense. Is he a better option than one of the other potential pick (Clowney, Matthews, etc..)? I don't know. Will he be a bust? I seriously doubt it. I just see no evidence to support that.

I couldn't agree more. I also believe he's the pick, because they can't afford to way for a latter round qb and end up in the same position they're in right now.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read