Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-29-2014   #2581
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
My mind was made up when our biggest need being QB wasn't addressed in free agency. Last season he finished with four interceptions against 31 touchdowns. A year ago, that kind of season would have only reinforced the widely held belief that Bridgewater was a top-two pick in the 2014 draft.
First...
We don't really know who is moving up or down on real draft boards. Remember, this is lying season. For all we know, teams have Bridgewater as the top prospect in this class. We won't know until the draft & then, it's only a guess. If Bridgewater is taken in the top 5, it's a good guess that the teams paid no attention to what we're seeing in the media If Tom Savage goes undrafted, then it's a pretty good guess that he did not ride up draft boards the way the media is reporting.
Second...
I don't agree with some of the conclusions you've come to. If Savage is moving up the draft boards, it is not because he transferred from school to school like Foles did. I would think it was the ability he showed to learn Pittsburgh's offense, start from day 1, then lead the team to a bowl game. That's some pretty impressive sht right there. maybe not as impressive as Bridgewater's "knowledge" of the game... to you.
Third...
If the draft goes the way the media is suggesting. Bridgewater late in the first, Savage early in the second, then I think it would be more beneficial to understand how that happened, instead of just blowing it off as the NFL got it wrong. Maybe we got it wrong & I'd like to learn & understand how I got it wrong to better prepare me for next year.
Old 04-29-2014   #2582
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
First...
We don't really know who is moving up or down on real draft boards. Remember, this is lying season. For all we know, teams have Bridgewater as the top prospect in this class. We won't know until the draft & then, it's only a guess. If Bridgewater is taken in the top 5, it's a good guess that the teams paid no attention to what we're seeing in the media If Tom Savage goes undrafted, then it's a pretty good guess that he did not ride up draft boards the way the media is reporting.
Second...
I don't agree with some of the conclusions you've come to. If Savage is moving up the draft boards, it is not because he transferred from school to school like Foles did. I would think it was the ability he showed to learn Pittsburgh's offense, start from day 1, then lead the team to a bowl game. That's some pretty impressive sht right there. maybe not as impressive as Bridgewater's "knowledge" of the game... to you.
Third...
If the draft goes the way the media is suggesting. Bridgewater late in the first, Savage early in the second, then I think it would be more beneficial to understand how that happened, instead of just blowing it off as the NFL got it wrong. Maybe we got it wrong & I'd like to learn & understand how I got it wrong to better prepare me for next year.
I didn't think I would be getting into a debate with a post that I started a sentence with "My mind is made up....." about a prospect I have had my eye on a long time ago. I started this thread in September last year and nothing has changed my mind.

That is not to say I haven't heard the knocks on him but they started coming out the flood gates once the season was over not while the season was going on.

I am not surprised you don't agree with MY conclusions since we have never been on the same page about TB. I don't expect those with opposing views on TB to all of sudden change their minds on this kid days away from the draft. As for.......

"I would think it was the ability he showed to learn Pittsburgh's offense, start from day 1, then lead the team to a bowl game. That's some pretty impressive sht right there. maybe not as impressive as Bridgewater's "knowledge" of the game... to you."

Again we can go back and forth for another 10 pages and we will not get anywhere, lets just leave it as YOU are impressed with Savage's ability to learn an offense from day one and as for ME its TB's "knowledge" of the game he took over as a freshman.

Third...

I agree with you here, how Bridgewater fell all the way late to the first and Savage is now in the early second where McCarron was considered the top prospect of that round is beyond me and if that does play out, I will be scratching my head and asking a lot of questions.
Old 04-29-2014   #2583
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL
Quote:
Teddy Bridgewater is on the cover of the latest @ESPNMag issue. Here's him posing with a bear. Sort of.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmacIgXCQAAgCIW.jpg
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #2584
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I thinks it's obvious what's going on here. The Bears are drafting Bridgewater.
Old 04-29-2014   #2585
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me or do his hands look small?

Just kidding.
Old 04-30-2014   #2586
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I get it, Teddy Bear. What's next? Clowney dressed like a clown?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2587
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater Sports Illustrated's #1 draft prospect

Quote:
SI TOP 64

No. 1: Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater

Bio: There are times in life when one simply has to turn off all the noise and focus on what you can control. And in the 2014 pre-draft process, no player has had to learn and re-learn this more than Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. When he finished his 2013 season with 303 completions in 473 attempts (a 71 completion percentage) for 3,970 yards, 31 touchdowns and just four interceptions, he was thought to be a universal top-five prospect. Since then, and especially after Bridgewater’s sub-par pro day, his stock has been dropping precipitously in the cottage industries of mock draft and overall draft speculation, to the point where some well-respected draftniks have said that they wouldn’t even take him in the first round.

Conclusion: The more I go back and rewatch Bridgewater tape, the less willing I am to drop into the seemingly common perception that he hads some abnormally low ceiling, and that he’ll top off pretty quickly in the NFL. Most of his deep ball issues can be fixed by the kinds of coaching and strength training that all kinds of quarterbacks (Drew Brees and Tom Brady come immediately to mind) have benefited from in obvious ways. And yes, he played at about 190 pounds through the final bit of his 2013 season, but showing up weighing 214 pounds at the combine was a definite statement. And yes, he really blew it at his pro day … but let’s be real here: Any NFL executive who will throw multiple scouted games out the window based on a shirt-and-shorts session, whether positive or negative, is probably on his way out the door.

Is Bridgewater the perfect collegiate quarterback? No. There are clearly things he needs to work on, which is true of just about every quarterback prospect. But when it comes to combining innate skills and developmental potential in an NFL view, it’s hard for me to put anyone above Bridgewater. He already has a lot on the ball, and with time and patience, he could be the kind of quarterback that defines a franchise.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2014   #2588
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I am still convinced that TB has the lowest bust potential. I think at worst he becomes a game manager like Alex Smith or Chad Pennington. A guy that won`t surprise you much in games or win a game by himself, but a guy that can help you when you have all the other pieces in place. But I am pretty sure he will be in the league for some time.

I am also convinced that at least Manziel and possibly Bortles have a higher ceiling. The only thing Bridgewater is elite in are the mental aspects. Those two guys have physical traits that Bridgewater just can`t match and never will be able to match.

Thirdly I am deeply convinced, that Carr has the biggest bust factor, and that is not because of his last name. He struggled mightily when getting pressured and most of his passes were in the 0-5 yard range. He had a great proday - all of that sounds a lot like Gabbert. I think those weaknesses will be very hard to correct at the pro level.

At 1.1. I´d be alright with Manziel - big boom and big bust potential, but I´d get that pick. If we trade back a couple of spaces I´d be ok with Bortles. I don`t see him becoming a star, but he has all the tools. I´d be thrilled if we could trade up to the end of the first or pick Bridgewater at the beginning of the second round. I´d also be alright with Garapolo here. Later than that I´d be ok with a number of guys like Savage, McCarron, Mettenberger...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2589
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So Bridgewater tanked his pro day to make money. That's would actually be a pretty smart move. You end up later in the draft so you are going to a better team who most likely already had a starter that you can be groomed by and you still make a ton of money. Very slick TB!
For some reason, the dude doesn't look that smart to me ...

kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2590
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
For some reason, the dude doesn't look that smart to me ...

Agreed. That eye shadow with that dress... pssh... moron!!
Old 04-30-2014   #2591
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 62918 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I get it, Teddy Bear. What's next? Clowney dressed like a clown?
Thanks for connecting the dots.

Naf.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2592
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

King texan = lord bills
Old 04-30-2014   #2593
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bridgewater's ability to be face of franchise in question

"First and foremost, you want to say the tape is most important," Mayock said on "Path to the Draft." "We talk about that all the time, but at the quarterback position, you have to see the guy throw live. We all know that that pro day was below average for a top-level quarterback. I talked to a lot of teams, and I'm hearing a heck of a lot more second-round grades than first-round grades.

"What I'm hearing is two things. Number one, when we saw him throw live we didn't see arm strength and didn't see accuracy. Number two, when you draft a quarterback in the first round you expect him to be the face of your franchise, you expect him to embrace the moment. I think people had some concerns about whether or not this young man is ready to step up and be the face of a franchise."

"I want to bang the table for the kid's tape," Mayock said. "However, you have to see him throw live."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...Twitter_nfl_cb

Last edited by Texian; 04-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2594
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

@NU_Gap: Last year I calc'd my QB aggregate score and 2012 Teddy B. was the highest ranked QB, same thing this year - no questions for me on Teddy

@nfldraftscout: Y'all know I love Johnny Manziel...but why are NFL people questioning Bridgewater as the face of a team and not Johnny?

@nfldraftscout: Last thing I'm gonna say about Bridgewater tonight. Do you want Russell Wilson? Draft Bridgewater.
Old 04-30-2014   #2595
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post

I wonder who the Texans will draft. Then I see a pic of tranny Ted and wonder what bobby mac would do. And things are a lil less mysterious.
Old 04-30-2014   #2596
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
@NU_Gap: Last year I calc'd my QB aggregate score and 2012 Teddy B. was the highest ranked QB, same thing this year - no questions for me on Teddy

@nfldraftscout: Y'all know I love Johnny Manziel...but why are NFL people questioning Bridgewater as the face of a team and not Johnny?

@nfldraftscout: Last thing I'm gonna say about Bridgewater tonight. Do you want Russell Wilson? Draft Bridgewater.

@nfldraftscout: The Bridgewater slander pisses me off because guys aren't saying, "Hate his film, no thanks." They're creating issues where there are none

@nfldraftscout : "He's too skinny"—Gains 14 lbs "Small hands"—Same as Garoppolo "Didn't play anyone"—Same schedule at Bortles "Well, then, bad character"

moot point though, since most of us didn't see him throw live at his pro-day.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #2597
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post

moot point though, since most of us didn't see him throw live at his pro-day.
Do you think he's going to fall out of the first round?

Or are you upset because they aren't talking about TB as a top 5 pick?
Old 05-01-2014   #2598
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I lost a Franklin on Texans season finale betting they would win, just to ensure they didn't & secure the #1 overall pick, how _ucked up is that? Wanted Bridgewater, hands down because Schaub had to go (he did) & Teddy strengths where Matts weakness, but that was in heat of the moment. Now its about adding the most talented football player, not just with first pick but every pick. Still like Teddy, maybe more as a person, regardless they're better more dynamic football players coming out. Texans must be smart, either trade down & select him or take bpa.

#1 Robinson - franchise OT, next Orlando Pace
#2 Watkins - #1 WR, super-sized Steve Smith
#3 Clowney - inconsistent but superlative athletic pass rusher, Taylor-esque
#4 Matthews - Bloodlines
#5 Mack - all world LB
#6 Donald - versatile playmaking DL
#7 Barr -still raw but has everything you want in OLB position
#8 Manziel - top QB can handle pressure/media
#9 Lewan - copycat of last year #1 overall pick Fisher
#10 Evans - match-up nightmare, red zone target freak of nature
#11 Bridgewater - would be best served to sit, watch & learn while improving his core/arm strength.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #2599
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Number two, when you draft a quarterback in the first round you expect him to be the face of your franchise, you expect him to embrace the moment. I think people had some concerns about whether or not this young man is ready to step up and be the face of a franchise."
That's the elephant in the room. I think that's the same knock that Geno Smith had last year. I'll say this: It's easier to be the face of the franchise and the team leader if you produce on the field. And I think Bridgewater has a better chance of producing than any of the other QBs. Being a rah-rah guy is pretty meaningless if you can't put points on the scoreboard.
Old 05-01-2014   #2600
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Do you think he's going to fall out of the first round?

Or are you upset because they aren't talking about TB as a top 5 pick?
at this point no one knows where he is going and i wouldn't be surprised if he does fall out of the first.

upset? not at all, i don't fall for the pot stirring around here. i want mack or clowney at 1.1.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read