Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-18-2014   #2441
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
No way they are the same size IRL.

TB looks like a twig next to DC.
They both measured 6-2, 214 at the Combine.

Bridgewater weighed 208 at his Pro Day though, IIRC.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #2442
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way they are the same size IRL.

TB looks like a twig next to DC.
TB has longer arms (33" vs. 31.5") and bigger hands (9 1/4" vs. 9 1/8") than DC.

The problem with TB is that even though he came into the Combine at 214#, his "natural" weight is lower than that. DC is naturally a little heavier.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #2443
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Quote:
We've reached out to many teams about Bridgewater, and all have been down on him. Perhaps the most glaring response we've heard came from an executive with an NFC playoff team that has no need for a starting quarterback. They have their franchise signal-caller, but they could use a reserve, so we asked this executive his thoughts on some quarterbacks, including Bridgewater.

The NFC executive said that he thought Bridgewater was a "fourth-round guy" and will fall out of the first round. He said that there isn't anything exceptional about Bridgewater's skill set, as he doesn't have an elite arm, size or mobility. Because of that, he felt that Bridgewater is a fourth-round talent.

Another scouting director picking in the top 20 that could consider a quarterback told us that his team never had Bridgewater as a first-round pick. They said he's carried a second-round grade throughout the process. They still have him as a second-round pick after his much-maligned pro day.

Sources from three teams in the top 10 have told us that they have Blake Bortles and Derek Carr graded ahead of Bridgewater. One team also has A.J. McCarron rated ahead of Bridgewater.

Fall to 33 Teddy!
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #2444
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
They both measured 6-2, 214 at the Combine.

Bridgewater weighed 208 at his Pro Day though, IIRC.
Greg Cosell said that he had info from trusted sources that TB's playing weight was 188 pounds.

"I’ve spoken to people that said late in the year at Louisville he weighed one eighty eight so he probably bulked up just for the combine so the number would be good. That’s something you have to think about. He’s not a big kid. He’s a slight kid."

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/3/...favors-bortles
Old 04-18-2014   #2445
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Pewter Report ‏@PewterReport 23m

Bridgewater Concerns? @MarkdominikESPN weighs in http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eyond-pro-day/

"Mark Dominik, the former Buccaneers general manager who now serves as an analyst for ESPN, said on NFL Live that he doesn’t believe Bridgewater’s Pro Day is a problem so much as his skinny frame, as well as the fact that Bridgewater didn’t always look like an elite passer on tape.

“There were things you saw on tape when you watched him,” Dominik said. “Something that scouts internally, we talked about it in Tampa with Teddy Bridgewater last year. Is he really the premiere quarterback? I like the young man, I think he’s a quality individual, he’s got character and leadership and those things. But this is a quarterback, and you’re judged by what quarterback you draft, and I think Teddy Bridgewater might not have all the pieces you’re looking for.

Dominik indicated that if teams with Top 5 picks like the Texans, Jaguars and Browns are interested in Bridgewater, their interest is in hoping Bridgewater falls all the way out of the first round and is still available early in the second round. That’s a long fall from where most people thought Bridgewater would be drafted."
Old 04-18-2014   #2446
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I'd jump for joy if he fell to 33.
Old 04-18-2014   #2447
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Greg Cosell said that he had info from trusted sources that TB's playing weight was 188 pounds.
OK, let's say that's true. How did that affect his play in a negative way? What was he not able to do because he weighed 188 lbs?

Bridgewater is not a big QB. That's obvious from looking at him. He's never going to be 6'5" 230lbs. Having said that, what can he not do because of this? He took shots and got up. He broke tackles. He saw the field better than any QB in college. If he were 6'5" 230lbs, Bridgewater would probably be the best QB prospect since John Elway. But at 6'2" 200 lbs, he's still capable of doing everything a QB needs to do.

Quote:
"Mark Dominik, the former Buccaneers general manager who now serves as an analyst for ESPN, said on NFL Live that he doesn’t believe Bridgewater’s Pro Day is a problem so much as his skinny frame, as well as the fact that Bridgewater didn’t always look like an elite passer on tape.

“There were things you saw on tape when you watched him,” Dominik said. “Something that scouts internally, we talked about it in Tampa with Teddy Bridgewater last year. Is he really the premiere quarterback? I like the young man, I think he’s a quality individual, he’s got character and leadership and those things. But this is a quarterback, and you’re judged by what quarterback you draft, and I think Teddy Bridgewater might not have all the pieces you’re looking for.
Again, when has his skinny frame been a problem on the football field? And could the guy be more vague in evaluating Bridgewater? Not "always" an elite passer? Might not have "all of the pieces"? Thanks for that expert opinion. What pieces does Bridgewater have? Here is every pass play in Bridgewater's last actual football game. What you'll see is a QB who is not flustered by the pass rush, can quickly find the open receiver, and has uncanny accuracy on the run. You'll see a QB that can move the chains and put his team in good situations. Those are the pieces I'm looking for in a QB.
Old 04-19-2014   #2448
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

At least we have a name in marc dominic. Yep,the gm who moved up to get josh freeman. Josh freeman was an erratic passer at ksu. I wonder what the discussion were on freeman in 2009. He looks like a great qb when he gets off the bus and in warmups.
Old 04-19-2014   #2449
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
OK, let's say that's true. How did that affect his play in a negative way? What was he not able to do because he weighed 188 lbs?
From the get go the knock on TB has been his suspect arm. I am guilty after watching several TB games of saying that many of his deep passes looked like INTs in the NFL. And from his Pro Day the general consensus was that when the ball came out of his hand it didn't have the velocity that many were looking for. The ball didn't have the zip expected from a high draft pick NFL QB. All reasons that could directly be attributed to being a 188 lb QB.

Last edited by Texian; 04-19-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #2450
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From the get go the knock on TB has been his suspect arm. I am guilty after watching several TB games of saying that many of his deep passes looked like INTs in the NFL. And from his Pro Day the general consensus was that when the ball came out of his hand it didn't have the velocity that many were looking for. The ball didn't have the zip expected from a high draft pick NFL QB. All reasons directly attributed to being a 188 lb QB.
So you're worried about INTs from the QB who had the lowest INT % in 2013 of the QBs in the draft? Does that make sense to you? OK.
Old 04-19-2014   #2451
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd jump for joy if he fell to 33.
Not sure I would take him there. Rather take another position player (OL, LB, DB) then take a QB in the third or fourth. Just don't see any QB's n this draft to really get excited about, unless JFF falls to 33 then I would take the chance on him, but that wont happen.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #2452
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So you're worried about INTs from the QB who had the lowest INT % in 2013 of the QBs in the draft? Does that make sense to you? OK.
Here is how this works, I believe what I see. I try not to make excuses for what my eyes and ears all telling me. I do understand that college, the conference and level of competition that Bridgewater performed against is not the NFL. Yes I am worried as what I saw in some passes over 30 yards from Teddy, is what I term floaters. Yes, I saw enough "Floaters" from Teddy to make me uncomfortable and "worried."

There were several comments from those who attended Teddy's Pro Day, that when the ball left Teddy's hand, it lacked velocity, along with questionable accuracy. These are my observations and opinions. I am not a Teddy Bridgewater hater. Although I do get a lot of abuse for my opinions from many of Teddy's fans. There is absolutely no confusion whatsoever that you and I differ completely in our evaluations of Teddy.

Last edited by Texian; 04-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #2453
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not sure I would take him there. Rather take another position player (OL, LB, DB) then take a QB in the third or fourth. Just don't see any QB's n this draft to really get excited about, unless JFF falls to 33 then I would take the chance on him, but that wont happen.
I agree, at this juncture I think when all is said and done that Mettzenberger, Murray, McCarron and Fales will outperform Bridgewater as NFL QBs. With that said I still think that Bortles is and will be the Top QB in this draft class. Last I checked the Houston Texans reasons for failure and collapse in 2013 was directly related to the play from their QB position.
Old 04-19-2014   #2454
Texian
Hall of Fame

First it was Ex GM Dominik, you can now add Phil Savage to that list of Ex GMs who says Teddy is falling.

Bridgewater not highly thought of in league circles, ex-GM says

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...cles-exgm-says
Old 04-19-2014   #2455
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With that said I still think that Bortles is and will be the Top QB in this draft class.
Therein lies the problem. Its like being the skinniest fat kid ... Doesn't mean much.

Being the top of a QB class like this one looks on paper is no more than having the best chance at being a back-up in the league for a while. None of the QB's have "NFL Starter" written all over them. Bortles is the consensus top prospect, while JFF may have the best chance of turning into a real star player. If I am the Texans I go BPA for the first three rounds and then start filling need, including QB. May hit the jackpot with a Metz or a Savage.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #2456
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Therein lies the problem. Its like being the skinniest fat kid ... Doesn't mean much.

Being the top of a QB class like this one looks on paper is no more than having the best chance at being a back-up in the league for a while. None of the QB's have "NFL Starter" written all over them. Bortles is the consensus top prospect, while JFF may have the best chance of turning into a real star player. If I am the Texans I go BPA for the first three rounds and then start filling need, including QB. May hit the jackpot with a Metz or a Savage.
You better pick Savage or Mett at 2-1, or trade back into the 2nd rd because I've got a feeling that both will be gone by 3-1.

Savage got a green room invite. He may go in the bottom of the 1st.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #2457
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Here is where we differentiate in our evaluations of Bortles. I put much more stock in Bortles (6) 2nd half come from behind victories and his 4 GAME WINNING DRIVES than most. My evaluation is also based on Bill Walsh and Bill Belichicks evaluation of Joe Montana and Tom Brady. Walsh and Belichick both said the reasons for drafting Montana and Brady was their ability to remain cool, calm and collected and deliver a WIN at the end of the game. Bortles ability to come from behind compares very favorable Montana and Brady when they were at Notre Dame and Michigan. Plus the fact that Walsh and Belichick said that Montana and Brady just won, they were winners.

Bortles showed that same ability to remain cool, calm and collected and to deliver a win at the games end. I see no reason why Bortles cannot do the same in NFL. And all Bortles did was win, he took UCF to heights they had never been before. In much the same way RGIII took Baylor to places they had never been.
Old 04-19-2014   #2458
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You better pick Savage or Mett at 2-1, or trade back into the 2nd rd because I've got a feeling that both will be gone by 3-1.

Savage got a green room invite. He may go in the bottom of the 1st.
NFLN is looking for that prospect they can train their cameras on throughout the first round, building the anticipation and emotion only to be let down by leaving Radio City Music Hall undrafted... camerashot of him walking away, alone.

Savage should stay home with family, friends imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #2459
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I heard they invited 80 players this year?
Old 04-19-2014   #2460
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think I heard they invited 80 players this year?
Ahh, okay, that makes more sense then.

Not going to see the Lonely Guy in 2014.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read