Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-09-2014   #2341
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Funny you say that considering Bridgewater has the highest football Iq and most developed to read defenses of any QB in this draft.
yeah, I've read that before. I'm just commenting on my general impression of him through his interviews.

Sometimes book smarts do not always translate to quick thinking skills.

Or he's just a nervous interview and spews rehearsed lines. He just never seems like he's speaking from his gut, but like I said, just an opinion.

You see a guy like Andrew Luck, who had the great GPA, and his interviews comes across as very knowledgeable about football and quick to reply to questions with great insight. Bridgewater does not come across the same way to me.
Old 04-09-2014   #2342
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, I've read that before. I'm just commenting on my general impression of him through his interviews.

Sometimes book smarts do not always translate to quick thinking skills.

Or he's just a nervous interview and spews rehearsed lines. He just never seems like he's speaking from his gut, but like I said, just an opinion.

You see a guy like Andrew Luck, who had the great GPA, and his interviews comes across as very knowledgeable about football and quick to reply to questions with great insight. Bridgewater does not come across the same way to me.
I agree with you.

On the field, Bridgewater seems to be very intelligent. He appears to be ahead of the curve in the mental aspects of the game. But off the field, he doesn't project the same image. To me, he looks nervous in front of cameras. Every time I've seen him do an interview he looks uncomfortable.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2343
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I agree with you.

On the field, Bridgewater seems to be very intelligent. He appears to be ahead of the curve in the mental aspects of the game. But off the field, he doesn't project the same image. To me, he looks nervous in front of cameras. Every time I've seen him do an interview he looks uncomfortable.
Yeah he comes across nervous and as if whatever swagger he has off the field is forced.
Old 04-09-2014   #2344
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh now it's ok to say he doesn't come off well in interviews. I was chastised when I said this a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Don't see teddy interviewing well.
Reporter- Teddy, what do you need to improve on?
Teddy - gets and dumbfounded look on face, then answers with a confused tone, "uh-nothing".

Yeh just not seeing it. Manziel on the other hand, well he's going to blow everyone away. He's got personality, confidence and swagger that sets him apart from any other top prospect in this draft.
I was called bias and a J Football fan among other things for suggesting this.
Old 04-09-2014   #2345
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
So the combine and a pro day does it for you? So why are top 10 teams still bringing him in? No ne to argue with you,but I've had 2 former gms tell me to my face the combine is best for the physical and the pro day means zero. I guess they're Teddy Bots or Clowney Bots or whatever retarded word association you want to mix in. Tell me how many many media people had the texans drafting mario?
I actually do think you're a bit of a "Teddybot" but I gotta say that it's pretty amusing watching the "Bortlesbot" call you out about it.

That's some funny stuff right there.
Old 04-09-2014   #2346
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
That's pretty awesome you met them and they said that. I always felt the same way, but never had any validation to my argument.

There was a great man in the Clowney thread that said this...

That great man is me. And now I have validation from GMs on my opinion. All you Mel Kiper fan boys have fun riding that fence and swaying in the wind. I drew a line after the end of the FOOTBALL season on what guys I did and did not like and reasons why. Those pro days haven't made me sway, and now I feel more confident in my reasoning. Thank you Leebi.
That validation is crap. Pro days make a difference. Some positions more than others. As QB's go they can drop a guy if he does really bad. Anyone that says different is a full of it. If a guy shows up at his pro day and looks out of shape or just doesn't perform well it makes a difference.

If tape is all that mattered Aaron. Donald would be in discussion for the number one overall pick. No one has better game tape than him.
Old 04-09-2014   #2347
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Of course you do....every single day you show up you act as if your dog has died. Like everything else, you probably don't even like dogs.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I love dogs. Other people's dogs which I don't have to feed, walk or take to the vet for outrageous fees. I spent all my emotional and nurturing requirements on my kids. And I don't care what anybody says, pets are NOT KIDS!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2014   #2348
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just watched it and can't say I agree. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about when asked about football. During Gruden's QB camp he seemed like he knew the most of what he was talking about.

Yeah of course he sounds nervous when Steve Mary says tell these other 2 QBs next to you why you should go #1 over them. That's an incredibly awkward question used to trap players into saying something stupid to drive up ratings and the fall back is gonna be media training... I can't control when I get picked, I can only control how hard I work in the process... I am a proven leader... etc.

If you want quick wit at the press conference or at a dinner table Teddy is not your guy. If you want quick decision making on the FOOTBALL field, I think the tape speaks for itself. How many college QBs coming out this year made it past 2 reads during the season from the pocket?

Quote:
That validation is crap. Pro days make a difference. Some positions more than others. As QB's go they can drop a guy if he does really bad. Anyone that says different is a full of it. If a guy shows up at his pro day and looks out of shape or just doesn't perform well it makes a difference.

If tape is all that mattered Aaron. Donald would be in discussion for the number one overall pick. No one has better game tape than him.
We will see on both accounts. Don't be shocked when Aaron Donald and TB both go higher than you or Mel Kiper believe.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2349
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If we could trade the pick and still get TB I would obviously love it.
If we get Bridgewater, do you think we can win 9 or 10 games in 2014?
Old 04-09-2014   #2350
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree, but i think they mean all things being equal i.e. good tape, good kid etc. a not so very good pro day isn't enough to drop a previous top 5 prospect a whole round. what you're describing is a horrid pro day on the level of a Maurice Clarrett horrible. TB's wasn't that bad.

Look, I haven't had much time these days to do much of anything let alone chime in on the TB/JM/BB debate having had 2 new little ones come into this world recently but i think the pro day thing is being overblown for all 3 candidates; really prospects in general. There's really nothing a guy is gonna show you that you haven't already seen on tape. Plus, your true tendencies tend to come out when the live bullets start anyway.

So guys harping on "see, he fixed this..or that" based on what they see in a pro day are losing it if they think that a guy has corrected an issue that they've probably been doing since high school.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2351
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was a GM (thankfully, I'm not) it'd be hard for me to draft a guy #1 overall that relies on a glove to throw a good ball.

Yes, Manning wears a glove now, but went many many years without them. He only wears them now due to loss of feeling in that hand.
Old 04-09-2014   #2352
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just watched it and can't say I agree. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about when asked about football. During Gruden's QB camp he seemed like he knew the most of what he was talking about.

Yeah of course he sounds nervous when Steve Mary says tell these other 2 QBs next to you why you should go #1 over them. That's an incredibly awkward question used to trap players into saying something stupid to drive up ratings and the fall back is gonna be media training... I can't control when I get picked, I can only control how hard I work in the process... I am a proven leader... etc.

Presence! He doesn't seem to have much. You want to take a QB with a high first round pick that doesn't project confidence or have a leaders presence? From what we have been able to see, It doesn't apear he has that quality. Maybe he interviews better when not on camera. I have my doubts.

We will see on both accounts. Don't be shocked when Aaron Donald and TB both go higher than you or Mel Kiper believe.
Nothing will be proven either way by where he is drafted. Teams reach all the time. Especially for QB's. And FYI I have had Donald in the top ten for a while. In fact go to the Donald thread and you will see me complaining that Donald should be in the discussion for the top overall pick. So get out a of here with that Kiper crap. Haven't read it listened to that guy in years.
Old 04-09-2014   #2353
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I agree, but i think they mean all things being equal i.e. good tape, good kid etc. a not so very good pro day isn't enough to drop a previous top 5 prospect a whole round. what you're describing is a horrid pro day on the level of a Maurice Clarrett horrible. TB's wasn't that bad.

Look, I haven't had much time these days to do much of anything let alone chime in on the TB/JM/BB debate having had 2 new little ones come into this world recently but i think the pro day thing is being overblown for all 3 candidates; really prospects in general. There's really nothing a guy is gonna show you that you haven't already seen on tape. Plus, your true tendencies tend to come out when the live bullets start anyway.

So guys harping on "see, he fixed this..or that" based on what they see in a pro day are losing it if they think that a guy has corrected an issue that they've probably been doing since high school.
I agree with all of what you are saying. Obviously it doesn't completely answer all questions but it effects overall grade. And congrats on the two little ones!
Old 04-09-2014   #2354
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Right now I don`t think we could win that many games with any available QB. We were the worst team last season and we might`ve had the worst off season so far (as far as "improving" the team). Any rookie QB coming in will need some time to adjust.

We shouldn`t draft a QB expecting to win now - I think the frontoffice wants at least one more bad season so we can build through the draft.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2355
mussop
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Teddy Bridgewaterq

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Right now I don`t think we could win that many games with any available QB. We were the worst team last season and we might`ve had the worst off season so far (as far as "improving" the team). Any rookie QB coming in will need some time to adjust.

We shouldn`t draft a QB expecting to win now - I think the frontoffice wants at least one more bad season so we can build through the draft.
I totally agree which is why I say don't force a QB with the first pick. See what comes to us and make a decision based on it. Pick one or two project QB's and see what happens. Maybe OB can get more out of them than is expected. Who knows.

There is always next year. I have said many times, it's highly doubtful we win ourselves out of the top ten picks in next years draft no matter what QB we go with this year. If OB isn't sold on any of these guys being worthy of 1.1 use THIS draft to build the team up.
Old 04-09-2014   #2356
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58316 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
If I was a GM (thankfully, I'm not) it'd be hard for me to draft a guy #1 overall that relies on a glove to throw a good ball.

Yes, Manning wears a glove now, but went many many years without them. He only wears them now due to loss of feeling in that hand.
Why do you feel that way?
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2357
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh now it's ok to say he doesn't come off well in interviews. I was chastised when I said this a while back.

I was called bias and a J Football fan among other things for suggesting this.
'eh, I wouldn't worry about being chastised for an opinion. It is always someone with a different opinion that cannot handle disagreement.

But always remember, there are probably lots of folks that agree with your take, even if they do not outright say it.

Quote:
I've got no problem with disagreement. It's all our opinions in the end. And I'm sure some team will disagree with my perceptions when they take him in the first round.

I've seen quite a few interviews with TB the past few months, so it was not just last night's show that led me to my thoughts.

Quote:
That was a strange question, but if he's going to make such a statement, then he should be able to defend it. Being nervous is understandable for the average Joe, but dude is going to be a first round pick. Thinking quick on his feet, even in an interview, is something that teams will expect from him.

It was also his answer to the WR diva situation. The others seemed poise and able to understand the situation. TB just seemed like the question was asked in Chinese and he needed an interpretor.

I'm not going to research past interviews. My take is other prospects seem more comfortable in the glare and able to quickly form their thoughts. TB just seems tentative and very much like he's trying to remember the stock answers that he's rehearsed.

Quote:
If you want quick wit at the press conference or at a dinner table Teddy is not your guy. If you want quick decision making on the FOOTBALL field, I think the tape speaks for itself. How many college QBs coming out this year made it past 2 reads during the season from the pocket?
'eh, you can find great highlights of most college QBs. I've watched a lot of their highlights as an average fan, and all of them have flaws. I see way too many floating passes from many of them that will get gobbled up by defenders in the NFL.

And a lot of time, the 2 reads is allowed because they have a lot of separation and not a lot of pressure.

Just about all of these QBs were "winners" and "leaders" in college.

Not dogging TB, btw, but just telling like I personally see it. If the Texans take him, Go Teddy! I do not have a dog in this hunt for QBs.
Old 04-09-2014   #2358
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think if we draft TB with OB in charge we could have another top 10 offense.

TB doesn't play defense though and that is where we have our biggest holes.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2359
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I watched the QB episode last night. Kinda' cool to see the workouts.

Honestly, Bridgewater just doesn't come off as very bright. JMO, of course, but he seems like his answers are canned. Maybe he's just nervous in front of cameras and interviews, but every interview I've seen with him just doesn't give me the vibe that he's very quick in his critical thinking skills.

I don't know anything about Tajh Boyd, but he came across as a very smart player. I'd like to keep an eye on him to see who picks him up and if he develops into an NFL QB down the road.

All of them showed college game tape where their floaty passes would be like mana from heaven to NFL defensive backs. They benefited from the typical separation at the college level between receivers and defenders.
He definitely is not a great public speaker. That's more a matter of charisma than intelligence.

I know people who are smarter than a rock, but dumber than a piece of wood who can come across as intelligent on most topics, even when they have very little idea what they're talking about.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2360
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, Bridgewater just doesn't come off as very bright. JMO, of course, but he seems like his answers are canned...
Answers are canned and do him a disservice, imo.

This is the most honest presentation of himself Teddy has done in the media that I've found. Totally different guy here... relaxed, in his element. This is more what it looks likes he plays like in his head, if that makes sense:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...s-intelligence
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read