Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-17-2014   #2141
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Don't you think Bridgewater, at 21, will gain weight over time? Plus, he will be on a NFL nutrition program, year round. Wilson and Brees play around 205-210 lbs. If this is the biggest question mark concerning Bridgewater, I can't see it as stopping the Texans (or any other team) from drafting him.
I was told that he was throwing balls with a "downward" motion. When someone overbulks their upper arm, this can limit flexion of the elbow (hand can't touch shoulder), resulting in short-cocking the throw...........the ball's trajectory goes straight down. Try tightly wrapping a 2 inch thick bandage around your upper arm, and then try flexing and throwing a football.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Kinda cool. He looked good... not too thin. If you told me he weighed 214, I wouldn't have known the difference.

I'd have liked to have seen the unedited version. I want to see him throw the out routes, the deep outs, the 9, the fade..... from the pocket. Not a lot of those routes on youtube, or any other "film".... If y'all have seen them, let me know.

In that highlight, there was a couple of out routes that he threw well, with plenty of zip... on a rope.
Old 03-17-2014   #2143
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was told that he was throwing balls with a "downward" motion. When someone overbulks their upper arm, this can limit flexion of the elbow (hand can't touch shoulder), resulting in short-cocking the throw...........the ball's trajectory goes straight down. Try tightly wrapping a 2 inch thick bandage around your upper arm, and then try flexing and throwing a football.
Makes sense. I think he is suffering from a little anxiety about his weight. Whether that's due to an inability to maintain additional weight or due to the reported concerns on him, it's not a good look. I'd prefer him say that he has been in the midst of trying to add maintainable weight and his weight has been fluctuating during that process, rather than him make up something about an illness.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2144
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Im a Teddy B. fan but today was not a good day for him.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2145
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72577 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't even know where to start with that comment. Identical plays? No, not at all. One is a toss up in the middle of the field following an unnecessary scramble. Manziel has an OL get pushed back, but the OL holds the block. He then spins around unnecessarily into pressure. Teddy had a free defender in his face. Manziel tosses it up in the middle of the field. Teddy lofts it toward the corner of the endzone. Multiple defenders have a shot at intercepting Manziel's pass. No defender has a shot at intercepting Bridgewater's pass. I guess ball placement is now not important or something?

Anyway, it's one play and an unfair comparison. Manziel has made similar plays to that one by Bridgewater. This is not one of them though and the attempt to call them identical is befuddling. It's interesting how some people see one thing and others see another.
Agreed

But to be fair to JM, he had faith that if he threw a jump ball Evans was the best athlete on the field. Not really a bad choice. Especially seeing how bad the A&M defense was, JM felt as though he had to take chances.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2146
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Like I said, Bridgewater fans seem to believe he has an uncanny ability in these three areas... & none of the QBs at the college level come close. He is the only QB who made adjustments, calls, & audibles at the LOS. He is the only one who stood tall in the pocket, or navigated the pocket with finesse. & nobody else even looks at game film, or study the play book, or know where all his receivers are going to be.
No. A lot of other QBs come close. What I was trying to say is, that even small differences can mean the world here. Gabbert had all the ability in the world - except his reads were a little too slow and he couldn`t live with pressure. His accuracy, football IQ, physical attributes all were great.

Like I said, 0.5 seconds in your reads are huge in the NFL - just as the ability to feel pressure and have eyes in the back of your head. Or the ability to stay cool when pressure comes.

I am not saying I know it all - I actually know very little. All I am saying is Bridgewater excels in areas I consider to be most important. And he seems to be a little better in those than all of his competition. And I don`t believe that either his size or his mechanics are deal breakers.

McCarron, Mettenberger or somebody else could turn out to be the better pro. Heck even someone we are not talking about could. I would just like to maximize the chances. Bortles has the size and clutch factor, Manziel has the wow factor and Bridgewater has the mental factor. But I would be fine with us going a different route (preferably trading down and grabbing a RT) and taking a QB like Garrapolo or McCarron later.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2147
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Two identical plays other than where the ball is placed...
Ball placement is hugely important at the next level.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014   #2148
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't even know where to start with that comment. Identical plays? No, not at all. One is a toss up in the middle of the field following an unnecessary scramble. Manziel has an OL get pushed back, but the OL holds the block. He then spins around unnecessarily into pressure. Teddy had a free defender in his face. Manziel tosses it up in the middle of the field. Teddy lofts it toward the corner of the endzone. Multiple defenders have a shot at intercepting Manziel's pass. No defender has a shot at intercepting Bridgewater's pass. I guess ball placement is now not important or something?

Anyway, it's one play and an unfair comparison. Manziel has made similar plays to that one by Bridgewater. This is not one of them though and the attempt to call them identical is befuddling. It's interesting how some people see one thing and others see another.
But they didn't intercept it! seriously This is fun. I wonder who all here that has defended Bridgewaters poor perfomance at his pro day would of had the same take had Manziel had this type of showing first. Bet most wouldn't.

Your last paragraph spot on. Like I said just having fun watching the pokes circle the wagon. It's my guy is better than your guy time. Nothing can be said that hasn't already been said. So I'm sitting back and enjoying the sideshow. Occasionally it gets stale so I stir the pot.
Old 03-17-2014   #2149
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ball placement is hugely important at the next level.
And Manziel placed it perfectly for Evans.
Old 03-17-2014   #2150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I am not saying I know it all - I actually know very little. All I am saying is Bridgewater excels in areas I consider to be most important. And he seems to be a little better in those than all of his competition. And I don`t believe that either his size or his mechanics are deal breakers.
A little better I can understand, won't even argue that it's true or not. But that doesn't drop McCarron/Murray to 3rd or 4th round.
Old 03-17-2014   #2151
agproducer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 agproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Re: Teddy Bridgewater

I've been reading y'all bicker for weeks about this topic, and I just had to jump in. It is an interesting situation.

I'm not sure that Teddy is the guy. He looked ok today. His pro day wasn't anything special. I, like several other posters have concerns about his ceiling.

You can also talk about football IQ, etc. But what does it matter if he's struggling to connect on the throws? The pro day was his setup. He and his agent helped put it together. He didn't help himself today, but I don't think he hurt himself either.

I used to think TB was the guy for the Texans, but now I'm not so sure. I started moving away from him at the end of last season. And not doing anything at the combine, imo, was a bad idea.

Ideally, I'd like the Texans to trade down, or draft Manziel. I don't think JM is worth the number one pick, but I think it may be to risky to trade down hoping to get him.

I'm not sold on TB or BB. Maybe it's because of their level of competition. I'd rather have McCarron over Bortles.

As far as the debate over "throwing it up," JM's was a throw it up and let your receiver get it type of throw. But, he put it up high where only Evans could have gotten it. Manziel only makes that throw to Evans. The dude played hoops and has some serious hops. Also, if I remember correctly, the play was on a 3rd and long just in to Alabama territory, so if it would have been picked, it would have been about the equivalent of a punt. I have no problem with Manziel making that throw. That's the play Manziel critics like to point to saying, "He just throws the ball up." But hey never point to any other play to prove that said point.

As for TB, his throw was also a throw it up there and let your receiver get it type throw. The only difference is it was to one on one coverage near the sideline. He also flung it sidearm across his body. That was less composed than the manziel throw, but it was smarter because it was in a spot where only his guy could get it, or it would be incomplete. It also could have ended horribly if he hadn't gotten enough on it. It almost looked like he was trying to throw it away and his receiver got under it.

So, let the debate on that topic rest. Both were off schedule throws that worked out. That's the bottom line. At some point, players have to make plays. Both guys did.

And I'm happy to have joined this board. You guys all seem to have some kind of football knowledge to back your opinions. Cheers!
agproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2152
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

How does anyone know who helped or hurt themselves at their pro days?

I'd imagine people there have different opinions.

People are looking for different things. Really, if you didn't watch the pro day and you say he hurt or helped himself you are just parroting because that can't be your opinion.

If you say well he helped himself at his pro day...Well to you he did. The "blank" GM and "blank" coach or scout may have seen something that really turned them off. Could have just been how he interacted with his teammates during the process.

You have a lot of talking heads that will give their opinions and maybe get some "sources" opinions.

You see players drafted in spots where you don't expect every year....Really we don't have any clue what all 32 of these teams are thinking.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2153
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Full Pro Day video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53UMp-cKzEU
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2154
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

ok watched the video...

couple of things,

1: did not like the fact the receiver had to wait for the ball on the deep throws. Sound like some one we already know? *cough* Matt Schaub *cough*

2: It seemed like he was lobbing the ball. I didn't see the zip, or as much zip, on the ball than people talk about. Ball also looked like a wounded duck coming out...

3: It is me, and it could be, but it seems Bridgewater has 2 different releases. He looks like he has to wind up a little to get the ball out faster, then he throws right by his ear on the short passes and the ball seems faster. I was kinda weird...

guess we shall wait and see...
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2155
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Unimpressive pro-day?

Hmmm. Isnt there some gametape on this kid? You know, stuff that actually matters?

All the pro-day and combine does for fans is talk people into, and out of taking a prospect based on frivolous reasons. I, like others prefer to let their actual play do the talking.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2156
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

teddy crapped the bed knowing this was his chance to pull away from the pack. now he only has private workouts to redeem himself.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2157
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was not impressive to me. I was in and out yesterday and I was just like whatever...

But if I was watching that and didn't know anything about TB I'd think he was not very good...

I have to trust what I see on film though. In game situations. I have to think with some good coaching he can look better in practice in shorts and t-shirts.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2158
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25222 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

When you look at him in the video, I think he looks like he was not focused. Not a bad thing, but to me he seemed like he looked too casual out there while his teammates looked more focused and prepared.

I really don't care about pro-days anyway, because like Iverson said, "We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man."
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2159
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watching that really didn't change my opinion on trading down or going defense with the first pick. He looked like a middle first round pick. But that's just going off his proday. I don't like one day of action erasing game film as I find that the most important factor. At the same this is a day that is scripted and well prepared for so you should look a bit less shaky than what he delievered.

Hopefully Bortles and Manziel have a good showing but Bridge will still have his private showings to redeem himself.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #2160
agproducer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 agproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't suggesting that a pro day erases the game film. I was saying he wasn't that great. Some of his passes fluttered. some spirals weren't tight. That doesn't negate what he's done in games. Because as one of y'all said, "It's just practice."

But, if you can't get up and perform on what should have been your most important workout since you didn't do anything at the combine -- it makes me question things. That is just my opinion.

If he was having problems in a workout that HE and his agent designed to showcase his talents, it makes me question things even more.

I'm not bashing TB. I like the guy. The Texans would be ok to pick him. He is supposedly the most pro-ready QB. But, from what I saw yesterday, it didn't look like it.
agproducer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read