Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-17-2014   #2061
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
The only person who could get that ball is the receiver. That's not throwing it up for grabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Eh, I think you're reaching there. Watching that vid you see his head and eyes turn to that receiver in his progression. Before he can throw it the defender appears forcing TB to buy time. So he already reads the one on one coverage. Once he buys the time you see him turn his head right back in that direction and put it where only the receiver can make a play. That isn't throwing it up for grabs. He knew where the receiver and defender were. It's one on one after all. Good ball placement and read there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
You really think that's throwing it up for grabs?

Wow...

There was one defender close to the ball and he never had a shot at even getting a hand on it...LOL...
Sorry guys, the TB love is over-the-top here. He turns his head as part of his throwing motion, he throws damn near sideways, he wasn't even remotely planted and yet it's not throwing it up for grabs simple because it's TB? He didn't throw to a receiver, he threw towards the corner of the endzone.

Folks, EVERY SINGLE QB throws it up for grabs sometimes. (Not always a bad thing) Anyone thinking this was a well-balanced, well-aimed throw is on crack. Same holds for Manziel, same holds for Bortles. This was an off-schedule success, that was as much lucky as good.
Old 03-17-2014   #2062
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, in the Manziel gif, its more of a breakdown in CB coverage. All of them had an opportunity to attack the ball, but they all stood there with their feet planted.

I don't know if that same play would have gone Manziel's way in the NFL.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2063
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Sorry guys, the TB love is over-the-top here. He turns his head as part of his throwing motion, he throws damn near sideways, he wasn't even remotely planted and yet it's not throwing it up for grabs simple because it's TB? He didn't throw to a receiver, he threw towards the corner of the endzone.

Folks, EVERY SINGLE QB throws it up for grabs sometimes. (Not always a bad thing) Anyone thinking this was a well-balanced, well-aimed throw is on crack. Same holds for Manziel, same holds for Bortles. This was an off-schedule success, that was as much lucky as good.
I think you are conflating terms. No one is arguing that he was not off-balance. He most certainly was.

But it was still a good throw, as nobody but the receiver had a chance at the ball. "Throwing it up for grabs" implies that the receiver and a defender have pretty equal chance at coming down with it. That was not the case here, as if the receiver did not catch the ball, the turf was catching it.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2064
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bolded is true. The rest is false.

There probably are examples of Bridgewater throwing the ball up for grabs but this isn't one. He sees where his WR is and puts the ball in the only place where the WR is the only one who has a chance. Maybe it was an accident but it's a ridiculously good throw.

Contrast that with the Manziel example, where he throws a rainbow to the middle of the field where he has two WRs surrounded by five defenders.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2065
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

TB knew where his WR would be and threw the ball to the pylon hoping his guy would catch it over or instead of the CB.

This play actually showed great instincts by TB. He's a great college player the reason I don't want him at 1-1 is I'm not sure his skill level will translate. (Arm Strength/Accuracy are biggies for me)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2066
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I didn't claim any of that.

I just think your definition of "throwing it up for grabs" is waaaaay off....

Throwing it up for grabs says it all in the name itself. It means anyone has a shot at the ball. Likea bride blindly throwing a bouquet over her back into a crowd of women.

Whether or not you believe Teddy saw the reciever and made the throw on purpose is not relevant. The throw wasn't put "up for Grabs"....There was only one of two possible outcomes there. The WR catches it...or he doesn't.

And TB is my favorite QB, but I try to be objective about everyone. I think you are terribly off base here.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2067
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Not as down on Bridgewater workout as some. Only saw one bad throw. Norv Turner told me he thought it was pretty good.
I saw more than just one.

Used a glove all season but did not for his pro day and it looked to me like he needed it. Does not spin the ball. Small ankles/wrists. Feet look big, but what I saw today looked result of small hands. Game tape better than this was, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014   #2068
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Weight was down, missing on throws. Definitely not the best pro day of all time. He's still my pick, but this was a bit disappointing.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2069
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't think this pass isn't "throwing it up for grabs", I can't help you.

Seems we have a difference in the definition of the term "throwing it up for grabs."

If only one guy has a legitimate shot to get to it and that guy is your guy, then it's not "up for grabs" to me.

For me, "up for grabs" means you throw to a spot where several people can catch it and pray for the best. "Up for grabs" does not mean throw it to a spot where only one of your guys, but no one else, has a chance for it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2070
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think you are conflating terms. No one is arguing that he was not off-balance. He most certainly was.

But it was still a good throw, as nobody but the receiver had a chance at the ball. "Throwing it up for grabs" implies that the receiver and a defender have pretty equal chance at coming down with it. That was not the case here, as if the receiver did not catch the ball, the turf was catching it.
You're conflating terms. It's a good RESULT, it's not a good THROW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Bolded is true. The rest is false.

There probably are examples of Bridgewater throwing the ball up for grabs but this isn't one. He sees where his WR is and puts the ball in the only place where the WR is the only one who has a chance. Maybe it was an accident but it's a ridiculously good throw.

Contrast that with the Manziel example, where he throws a rainbow to the middle of the field where he has two WRs surrounded by five defenders.
He's facing the sideline when he starts that delivery, he couldn't tell you if any additional defenders were in the picture at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
TB knew where his WR would be and threw the ball to the pylon hoping his guy would catch it over or instead of the CB.

This play actually showed great instincts by TB. He's a great college player the reason I don't want him at 1-1 is I'm not sure his skill level will translate. (Arm Strength/Accuracy are biggies for me)
Closer to reality. He threw to a point where he hoped his receiver would be and that even if incomplete, would be unreachable by the defender.
Old 03-17-2014   #2071
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry guys, the TB love is over-the-top here. He turns his head as part of his throwing motion, he throws damn near sideways, he wasn't even remotely planted and yet it's not throwing it up for grabs simple because it's TB?

Heh, for one, there is no 'TB Love'. I could care less about any of the guys so don't have any sides. They could draft any of the three and I'd be cool though I still prefer a trade down. There is something about all three that I like and things about all three that I don't like. You're simply tossing words in the mouth of others.

No one said 'No QB throws it up for grabs!'. A lot do especially with a receiver who has size i.e. Mike Evans. But that play is not throwing it up for grabs. Off-balance? Yes. Off-schedule? Yes. But one on one coverage where the receiver has separation and doesn't have to make a play to complete the pass is not a toss up for grabs. All he had to do was catch it. The placement is good and little risk involved if the QB has the arm strength for such an off-balance throw and he apparanty did.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2072
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're conflating terms. It's a good RESULT, it's not a good THROW.

He's facing the sideline when he starts that delivery, he couldn't tell you if any additional defenders were in the picture at that point.

Closer to reality. He threw to a point where he hoped his receiver would be and that even if incomplete, would be unreachable by the defender.
I think your apparent hate for TB is clouding your judgement.
Old 03-17-2014   #2073
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I think your apparent hate for TB is clouding your judgement.
I think he's the most Pro-ready QB in the draft. What was your point again?
Old 03-17-2014   #2074
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Weight was down, missing on throws. Definitely not the best pro day of all time. He's still my pick, but this was a bit disappointing.
So the Texans can trade down 4 or 5 picks, and still get Bridgewater?

Mission accomplished, Teddy!
Old 03-17-2014   #2075
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see that play is the WR probably had 3-4 steps on his DB and TB saw it. The fact that the WR was backpedaling by the time the camera was on him and he still had a lot of room all but confirms this. Teddy had a WIDE open guy heading towards the endzone. He threw it in that direction knowing there was no way the DB would get there.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2076
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
These draft threads can get sideways in a hurry.
Old 03-17-2014   #2077
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
No one said 'No QB throws it up for grabs!'. A lot do especially with a receiver who has size i.e. Mike Evans. But that play is not throwing it up for grabs. Off-balance? Yes. Off-schedule? Yes. But one on one coverage where the receiver has separation and doesn't have to make a play to complete the pass is not a toss up for grabs. All he had to do was catch it. The placement is good and little risk involved if the QB has the arm strength for such an off-balance throw and he apparanty did.
Once again, good RESULT, bad THROW. Given that he took about three steps facing the sideline before the sidearm heave, he had no idea who might be in the picture when the ball came down.

When the coach is going No, No, NO!....yes! It wasn't what he had in mind.
Old 03-17-2014   #2078
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

7 missed passes sounds bad. I do believe that these guys throw over 100 passes though. (93/100)?. I've never seem someone chart the missed/bad passes before. How does this compare to other guys?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2079
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I can agree with that.
Old 03-17-2014   #2080
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
I hope my dogs run away and get hit by trucks.

See...Just because you say something doesn't mean anything.

Funny how you can come in and not so slyly accuse people of holding an opinion about one throw because of Teddy love, but when it's thrown back at you, you have an out...

Right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read