Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17295 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Which college lb fits this criteria?

Hey fellow Texans fans: I am just starting to look at the prospects for this year's draft. My #1 item on my wish list for the Texans this year is a bada** LB with speed that can cover backs and TEs.

Can any of you point me in the direction of players that fit the bill so I can watch youtube videos of them and imagine them locking down Julius Thomas, Walker, Fleener, Allen, etc. next year?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 468091 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which college lb fits this criteria?

Start with Stephone Anthony and Eric Kendricks and maybe Benardrick McKinney at ILB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165537 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rd.1 Bud Dupree
Rd.2 Eric Kendricks
Rd.3 Tyler Lockett
Rd.5 DeAndre Smelter

This solves the LB/WR issues.

Sign Lewis/Wilfork/Denaruis Moore in FA and this team can beat the Colts
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 227329 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rd.1 Bud Dupree
Rd.2 Eric Kendricks
Rd.3 Tyler Lockett
Rd.5 DeAndre Smelter

This solves the LB/WR issues.

Sign Lewis/Wilfork/Denaruis Moore in FA and this team can beat the Colts
who is DeAndre Smelter?
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165537 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
who is DeAndre Smelter?
WR Ga Tech. 6'3 225 runs 4.45 tore his acl in last regular season game. Big fast physical WR. Comparable to Parker. More D.Thomas than S.Hill.

Drafting Smelter would be a long term plan. I would draft him and sit him for a yr.

I would sign a cheap FA guy like Danarius Moore/Bryan Tyms and draft Lockett/McBride this yr and have Smelter be the 3rd WR in 2016.

Youtube Smelter's highlights, you will like what you see. His talent is worth the wait.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135442 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
who is DeAndre Smelter?
WR for Georgia Tech. IMO, their better WR prospect this year over athletic freak Darren Waller. Waller looks great in shorts but disappears on the field. Smelter always flashed on film.

Smelter played baseball but switched to football 2 years ago. Big body, athletic, and very physical. Sure handed (has huge hands) and makes plays after the catch. Developmental prospect because of college offense and lack of experience and also injury red flag because of ACL injury suffered at end of this past season.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 236122 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Start with Stephone Anthony and Eric Kendricks and maybe Benardrick McKinney at ILB.
Like the first two but not the third and would add Jake Ryan to list who can play in and out. I'm looking at a way (if no FAs are signed) to get both Anthony and Ryan.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 169599 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Well there aren't many ILB's that actually cover running backs and TE's.

These are my favorites of the ILB's That I consider badasses.

Linebacker
1. Denzel Perryman, Miami (Fla.)
2. Stephone Anthony, Clemson
3. Eric Kendricks, UCLA

any of these guys would be great additions and start right away for us.

Dawson, TCU and Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State are over rated IMO. Especially MCKinney. He is a really good athlete with great size and measurables for the position and plays hard but ust doesn't have the instincts I want in an ILB.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
WR for Georgia Tech. IMO, their better WR prospect this year over athletic freak Darren Waller. Waller looks great in shorts but disappears on the field. Smelter always flashed on film.

Smelter played baseball but switched to football 2 years ago. Big body, athletic, and very physical. Sure handed (has huge hands) and makes plays after the catch. Developmental prospect because of college offense and lack of experience and also injury red flag because of ACL injury suffered at end of this past season.
Waller "disappears on film" because he played behind Smelter in an offense that throws it 10-15 times a game. He surely didn't "disappear" against FSU or in the Orange Bowl.

I think they will both be good. I, too, like Smelter better, but I would caution against dismissing Waller.
Old 1 Day Ago   #10
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

shaq thompson?
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #11
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 46975 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the top "sleepers" in this year's draft is Utah State's ILB Zach Vigil, 6'-2" & 236 lbs. Playing in the Mountain West, in 2014 he had 156 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 6 QB hurries, 5 pass deflections, 4 pass breakups, one interception and one fumble recovery. He's a strong A-gap blitzer and gets into coverage with depth.

I would call that badass football.

He had a good week at the East-West Shrine game and had a team high 4 tackles in the game.

I have him penciled in with our #6b pick.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17295 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
One of the top "sleepers" in this year's draft is Utah State's ILB Zach Vigil, 6'-2" & 236 lbs. Playing in the Mountain West, in 2014 he had 156 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 6 QB hurries, 5 pass deflections, 4 pass breakups, one interception and one fumble recovery. He's a strong A-gap blitzer and gets into coverage with depth.

I would call that badass football.

He had a good week at the East-West Shrine game and had a team high 4 tackles in the game.

I have him penciled in with our #6b pick.
I like that. Get him Rick!
Old 21 Hours Ago   #13
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Hey fellow Texans fans: I am just starting to look at the prospects for this year's draft. My #1 item on my wish list for the Texans this year is a bada** LB with speed that can cover backs and TEs.

Can any of you point me in the direction of players that fit the bill so I can watch youtube videos of them and imagine them locking down Julius Thomas, Walker, Fleener, Allen, etc. next year?
Kyle Emanuel
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 227329 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Kyle Emanuel
Would be a nice add. When do you think he'll get drafted?
JB is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read