Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What would You Do As GM?
Trade Yates 21 31.82%
Trade Keenum 2 3.03%
Trade Schaub to the highest bidder 2 3.03%
Trade Schaub to the highest bidder outside the division 1 1.52%
Keep All Three 40 60.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2013   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If You Were Rick Smith You Would

If you were Rick Smith and fielding phone calls from QB needy teams, what would you do?

Personally, I would keep all three players and shoot to trade Schaub next offseason. He should bring a decent price to a team that needs a good QB and is targeting another position high in the draft. I would hesitate at trading him within the division, but wouldn't rule it out, for the right price.

It seems pretty clear that both Yates and Keenum have a very good grasp of our offense and one of them will be the QB of the future. Both also bring some intangibles that Schaub seems to lack.

So what would you do as GM?
Old 08-31-2013   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If You Were Rick Smith You Would

Damn...got caught up in the LSU game and forgot to add "keep all three" to the poll. Can a mod help me out there?
Old 08-31-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

None of the above.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33416 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does everyone want to get rid of Schaub? Keenum hasnt even played one down in a real NFL game and schaub is expenable?
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't one's response depend on who was calling and what they offered up?

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Damn...got caught up in the LSU game and forgot to add "keep all three" to the poll. Can a mod help me out there?
Should be fixed now.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wouldn't one's response depend on who was calling and what they offered up?

Yes and it should be part of your reply....

Would you take a 2nd round pick from Jax or the tAcks? A 3rd from Buffalo or Mario Williams(I couldn't resist)? What would it take for you to make a deal for any of them?
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'd keep all three, and then keep all three. Next year's training camp will really tell the tale. It's great that our backups had a good preseason, and even better that Keenum was one of them. But they haven't done anything spectacular in a real game yet. Schaub gained his trade value as a backup by coming into real games and throwing for a bunch of yards and TDs.

Or, to paraphrase Winston Wolf, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.
Old 08-31-2013   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Should be fixed now.
Thank you very much.
Old 08-31-2013   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 382259 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Should be fixed now.
Seems like draft a future QB should be an option.
Old 08-31-2013   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seems like draft a future QB should be an option.
This is supposed to be a fun exercise and you can make any scenario you want.

If a QB you think will be great is coming out in 2015, make the other teams compensation their #1 pick in 2015.
Old 08-31-2013   #12
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Why does everyone want to get rid of Schaub? Keenum hasnt even played one down in a real NFL game and schaub is expenable?
Fans quickly fall in love with players that show flashes, but hasn't really proved anything.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 127674 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont think it's the best idea to keep three quarterbacks for several reasons. he's taking a roster spot that could be better used elsewhere, and outside of a very fluke season you're not going to get to #3. if we have an opportunity to trade someone for potential impacts (such as a schaub type deal for 2 seconds), i'd jump on it.

for me yates is the guy we should be shopping. schaub is the man this season and i think keenum has enough talent to play now, and also the highest ceiling later. keenum is my heir apparent. yates falls in the middle, i feel he's going to be a very good but not great quarterback, and would be replacing schaub with young schaub (including the growing pains) if he were to be the keeper.
Old 08-31-2013   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade Keenum tho no one will trade with us why when they can just wait for us to cut him or put him on the PS then just pick him up off waivers

look I think keenum playe pretty good in the PS but he this is just by the numbers and if they stick with the plan 25 Offesnive players and 25 Defense players and I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot of the #3 qb or 3 Qbs

but lets face it if matt goes down how season is pretty much over unless TJ can pull a brady or Kurt warner but yeahhh....

so I say we try and get him on the PS
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Because Schaub has failed just about every test for great QB's. He's a good system QB but seems to lack the intangibles that lead teams to greatness. Yates and Keenum appear to show those intangibles. I'd just as soon lose Schaub's salary as keep him after this season. If the Texans can benefit from it, great and wonderful. I definitely like that scenario over Schaub being cut for cap reasons.

That's the gist of this thread. Schaub WILL be gone, for cap reasons. What would you trade him for right now? Yates and Keenum have shown too much to be cast as career backups. Do you strike while the irons hot or do you wait for the inevitable big game, playoff loss to deal Schaub? His value is maximized right now to QB needy teams.
Old 08-31-2013   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah but if some team offered a #2 for yates I think that's the best u could get

but I would take two #3 I would take that in a heartbeat
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #17
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering lately he is doing better with UDFAs than draft picks, what could they offer?
Old 08-31-2013   #18
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I personally dnt think there is a super bowl capable qb on this roster. I used to think schaub value was 3rd 4th rd because he's a system guy,but alex smith got a high 2nd(33rd) so I think schaub could get that. I think they will ride the schaub train till it runs off the tracks. If they wanted to pressure him or have his replacement,they would've drafted one. Maybe a guy who might shake free like cutler or freeman might be an option next yr or so,but we know how loyal kubes is to his vets. I mean how is keo still on the roster?
Old 08-31-2013   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 145529 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I would trade all 3 for Mark Sanchez straight up. II'd then sign Tim Tebow to a $100M deal and talk Brett Favre out of retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #20
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33416 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Because Schaub has failed just about every test for great QB's. He's a good system QB but seems to lack the intangibles that lead teams to greatness. Yates and Keenum appear to show those intangibles. I'd just as soon lose Schaub's salary as keep him after this season. If the Texans can benefit from it, great and wonderful. I definitely like that scenario over Schaub being cut for cap reasons.

That's the gist of this thread. Schaub WILL be gone, for cap reasons. What would you trade him for right now? Yates and Keenum have shown too much to be cast as career backups. Do you strike while the irons hot or do you wait for the inevitable big game, playoff loss to deal Schaub? His value is maximized right now to QB needy teams.
Do you realize how many QB's have looked good in a couple games and then do nothing after that? Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel (Who actually looked good for a whole season). You can't just assume that Keenum or yates will be decent Qb's. You have to see them in real NFL games, and more than a couple.

What if Matt Schaub playes decent the whole year and the Texans go 10-6 and win one playoff game, just like the last two years, do you really think that the Texans front office is going to get rid of Matt and count on an unproven back up?
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read