Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-30-2014   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: AJ McCarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He gets a lot of credit for being a winner. When "inferior" QB's were doing the same thing before he got there then I begin to discount that hype.
Except he's not getting any credit. There is 0 hype surrounding him. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Old 01-30-2014   #122
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wonder if McCarron is this years "Aaron Rogers" .... Not that he will be as good , but he falls in the draft , sits for a year or two then comes in and plays well.

He does nothing great .... but everything pretty well. The ceiling isn't all that high and that's probably why he's getting no run .... but the floor isn't all that low either.

He could have a career like Alex Smith who doesn't wow you with numbers .... He just doesn't make many mistakes and gets the ball into the hands of the playmakers on his team.

If you could get him at the top of the 4th round , I think he's an absolute steal.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #123
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I really wonder if McCarron is this years "Aaron Rogers" .... Not that he will be as good , but he falls in the draft , sits for a year or two then comes in and plays well.

He does nothing great .... but everything pretty well. The ceiling isn't all that high and that's probably why he's getting no run .... but the floor isn't all that low either.

He could have a career like Alex Smith who doesn't wow you with numbers .... He just doesn't make many mistakes and gets the ball into the hands of the playmakers on his team.

If you could get him at the top of the 4th round , I think he's an absolute steal.
McCarron has neither Rodgers's arm strength nor Smith's athleticism; it's not that he does nothing great and everything pretty well, it's that he does some things pretty well and is outright deficient at others.

Anyone who drafts him before the 5th round is wasting a pick, but that's JMO.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #124
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Less athletic Andy Dalton, who was also a "winner" in college.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #125
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
McCarron has neither Rodgers's arm strength nor Smith's athleticism; it's not that he does nothing great and everything pretty well, it's that he does some things pretty well and is outright deficient at others.

Anyone who drafts him before the 5th round is wasting a pick, but that's JMO.
I did not in any way compare Rogers talents with those of McCarron .... Reading Comprehension Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Dalton may be a fair comparison ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Yep and you can put TB in this category also.

Great college players with limitations that will hamper them in the NFL. Unless they overcome these deficiencies with hard work which both are capable of doing.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #127
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Except he's not getting any credit. There is 0 hype surrounding him. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Winning the Maxwell over Winston and Manziel is undeserved credit/hype to me. He didn't have the stats or the impact of those guys. He won it as a career award because of how good his team has been the last 3 years.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2014   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm just going to have to disagree with all of you. I think the kid can play at a high level & don't see the limitations you mention. Sure he's not as athletic as Kaepernick, but that is not a requirement for success in the NFL.

He's got everything I'm looking for in a QB & I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1-1 if I thought I needed to. But since he is so underrated I'll target him later in the draft.

We'll just have to wait & see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014   #129
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27943 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

If we passed on QB until 4.01 I would have no issue with giving him a shot.

He's a game manager. He doesn't do many dumb things which in today's NFL is almost as important as doing good things.

So many QBs today can give you that 1 wow play, then the next second leave you scratching your head.

I think AJ doesn't give you either, which on the right team can be very useful.

I can definitely see him "succeeding" in the NFL w/ a team like the Cardinals. Top 5 defense, athletic WRs that can make him better, and a decent to strong run game.

I can also 100% see him failing if he's forced into a situation where he has to go and win the game because his team is devoid of talent (Jags, Raiders).
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #130
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I did not in any way compare Rogers talents with those of McCarron .... Reading Comprehension Fail.
My bad, though I would still say that the thing about McCarron is that he might have much growing to do on the bench. =/ The take a lot of scouts have is that he might have already peaked athletically in college, and a lack of arm strength and the fact that all he was asked to do at 'Bama was hand the ball off to Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, et al, and make 'safe' throws.

If McCarron turns in the next Tom Brady, all the more power to him, because he's shown almost none of it in college.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #131
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
My bad, though I would still say that the thing about McCarron is that he might have much growing to do on the bench. =/ The take a lot of scouts have is that he might have already peaked athletically in college, and a lack of arm strength and the fact that all he was asked to do at 'Bama was hand the ball off to Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, et al, and make 'safe' throws.

If McCarron turns in the next Tom Brady, all the more power to him, because he's shown almost none of it in college.
Serious question, did Brady?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #132
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Serious question, did Brady?
Tom Brady As You Forgot Him
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #133
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 4293 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Great read! I forgot all about Drew Henson, but recalled Griese.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Great article. My favorite line:
Quote:
And still, Superman lurked over Batman's shoulder.
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 02-03-2014   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

So a knock on McCarron is that he didn't have to carry his team, or basically he's playing on a very talented team. I don't argue the point, I know Alabama is a talented team, has been for a while.

I don't "watch" college football. I read a lot of the draft stuff, the Heisman stuff, watch highlights. I'll catch a game here or there, usually watch 4 or 5 bowl games plus the championship game.

My question, for you who do watch NCAAF, & you draftniks (love you guys), how does McCarron compare to Alabama's other QBs, specifically McElroy & JPWilson?
Old 02-03-2014   #136
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So a knock on McCarron is that he didn't have to carry his team, or basically he's playing on a very talented team. I don't argue the point, I know Alabama is a talented team, has been for a while.

I don't "watch" college football. I read a lot of the draft stuff, the Heisman stuff, watch highlights. I'll catch a game here or there, usually watch 4 or 5 bowl games plus the championship game.

My question, for you who do watch NCAAF, & you draftniks (love you guys), how does McCarron compare to Alabama's other QBs, specifically McElroy & JPWilson?
Not much difference IMHO .

He's bigger than the other two but he's just another guy . McElroy was really smart and Wilson seemed to always be looking over his shoulder .
Old 02-03-2014   #137
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am not a huge fan of McCarron, but he is easily a better prospect than either McElroy or Wilson. All I ever remember about JP Wilson is the terrible choke job against Utah in their bowl game.

Wilson or McElroy never lasted long in the NFL, but I think McCarron can be a nice backup somewhere for many years.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #138
Lucky

Rep Power: 103323 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He's got everything I'm looking for in a QB & I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1-1 if I thought I needed to.
Imagine the meltdown at the draft party if that happened?
Old 02-03-2014   #139
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great read. Enjoyed it, thanks!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #140
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

McCarron is the most physically talented QB Saban has had at Alabama.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read