Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-30-2014   #101
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ McCarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
McCarron is my favorite QB in this class. I know most people are down on him. But he's the guy I would be targeting. It sucks that he had such a talented team in Alabama, but the team I plan to put him on is even better.

I think he's the most ready to start of all of them.
So what unique qualities does AJ McCarron have?
Old 01-30-2014   #102
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
He was carried by superior talent and didn't mess it up? much...
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #103
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That he doesnt have to spend pick # 1.1. on him.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #104
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

But as others have said, if it brings Ms. Webb to Houston I could be down with the pick.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #105
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-will-surprise

claims he is more athletic than many of us think
What a surprise, HE says he's more athletic. Kind of like Boyd saying he IS the 2nd best QB coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
So do you expect more of a Leinhart type career where he's a backup and then slowly fades away?
It all depends on the situation he is thrown into. I like Zach Mett a little more than him, but I liken the two quite a bit.

If they go to a QB needy team with holes all over the place that need a QB to win their games for them like the Jags or Raiders they will get a couple years to start, then fail, then become career backup journeyman IMO.

If they go to a team like the Cardinals and sit for a year, maybe 2 behind Carson Palmer with Bruce Arians as head coach and a top 5 defense I believe these 2 can be very solid starting QBs and game managers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
And what team is that? I don't think there is any team in the NFL right now that is as comparatively dominant and has such a wide talent gap over the competition as Bama does in the NCAA.
The Seahawks, 49ers, or Cards. But then you'd need to play 16 games against the Raiders and Jags.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't know about unique, but I like his size, his footwork, his reads, his arm, his accuracy, his ball placement, his commitment to stand in the pocket & take a hit to deliver a pass. He plays in a "pro-offense" against tough competition, & has had success against that competition.

He's not exciting like the other guys, but he's solid. Appears to be pretty smart, makes good decisions. Mobile enough, strong enough arm.... & I think he should get more credit for managing that talented team than he's getting.

& he's been very consistent for 3 years. 37-3, two national championships, 72 TDs 13 Ints.

I'm not in love with him. I'm not going to draft him in the first round just to say he's a first rounder. I'd take him in the second even though I've seen mock drafts have him going in the 4th & later.... I just don't believe that. I think he's as talented & as poised to succeed as any of the 1st rounders.... I like Zach, I like Boyd, I like Mankins, but I like McCarron more.

If I pass on Mettenberger in the second thinking McCarron will be there in the third, I'm screwed if he's not. Boyd will probably still be there, I'd take him in the third, but he's not really what I want. I don't believe Mankins is ready to play, but I do want him.

Aj McCarron, Bortles, Mettenberger are the guys I want. I don't want to spend the 1st overall on Bortles, I don't think he's better than the other two. I'll spend a second on McCarron & be very happy. Even though most everyone has him going in the 3rd or later.

Everything they're saying about Bridgewater can apply to McCarron... Bridgewater may be slightly more accurate, but the competition McCarron played against & the successs he's had, even considering the talent he's had, puts him way over Bridgewater imo.
Old 01-30-2014   #107
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Still hiding that arm...

Quote:
Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show, Alabama QB AJ McCarron said he is unsure if he will throw at the NFL Combine.

McCarron briefly cited a lack of timing with receivers at the event. After skipping the Senior Bowl and telling reporters he would prove doubters and evaluators wrong, we are somewhat surprised McCarron would not firmly say he will participate in the throwing portion of drills. His evaluation does not place him in the first-round, and his pre-draft process has not changed that.
Jan 30 - 10:22 AM
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014   #108
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Still hiding that arm...

Jan 30 - 10:22 AM
That's weird. He said it himself that he's super athletic.

Quote:
Everything they're saying about Bridgewater can apply to McCarron... Bridgewater may be slightly more accurate, but the competition McCarron played against & the successs he's had, even considering the talent he's had, puts him way over Bridgewater imo.
Except that TB had to throw the football to win the game for his team.

I'm kind of hijacking an AJ thread and I apologize. I'll temporarily leave.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

Except that TB had to throw the football to win the game for his team.

I'm kind of hijacking an AJ thread and I apologize. I'll temporarily leave.
I'm sure Alabama wouldn't have won as many games if not for the 72 TDs McCarron threw.
Old 01-30-2014   #110
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure Alabama wouldn't have won as many games if not for the 72 TDs McCarron threw.
They got to the Sugar Bowl with John Parker Wilson and won a national title with Greg McElroy. And the surrounding talent has only gotten better since then. I don't think it matters what McCarron did as long as he could hand the ball off and not turn it over.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #111
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
They got to the Sugar Bowl with John Parker Wilson and won a national title with Greg McElroy. And the surrounding talent has only gotten better since then. I don't think it matters what McCarron did as long as he could hand the ball off and not turn it over.
Or put another way - lots of college QBs with little/no NFL potential might have pulled off the same thing.
Old 01-30-2014   #112
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Yeah no
Wow, horrible tattoo.

Somewhat irrelevant to QB evaluation, but that body looks super unathletic.
Old 01-30-2014   #113
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Wow, horrible tattoo.

Somewhat irrelevant to QB evaluation, but that body looks super unathletic.
Same here...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #114
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Same here...

Maybe we should remove the athlete part from the description student-athlete of College QBs.

I'll tell you what, seeing there body shape, there more acceptable weights (for some people) are not made up of quality weight.
Old 01-30-2014   #115
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

This is my favorite group of qb's that I can remember. I think a lot of these guys can be successful in the right situation.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #116
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
And what team is that? I don't think there is any team in the NFL right now that is as comparatively dominant and has such a wide talent gap over the competition as Bama does in the NCAA.
Duane Brown, Quessenberry, Myers/Jones, Brooks and draft pick like Antonio Richardson or JuWuan James would be a great line. Support him with a healthy Foster and our WRs, yeah McCarron should do well.

The line does not have to be dominant just keep him on his feet. Same with a QB on our roster, does not have to be Manning, just smart and accurate. AJ is both.
Old 01-30-2014   #117
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know about unique, but I like his size, his footwork, his reads, his arm, his accuracy, his ball placement, his commitment to stand in the pocket & take a hit to deliver a pass. He plays in a "pro-offense" against tough competition, & has had success against that competition.

He's not exciting like the other guys, but he's solid. Appears to be pretty smart, makes good decisions. Mobile enough, strong enough arm.... & I think he should get more credit for managing that talented team than he's getting.

& he's been very consistent for 3 years. 37-3, two national championships, 72 TDs 13 Ints.

I'm not in love with him. I'm not going to draft him in the first round just to say he's a first rounder. I'd take him in the second even though I've seen mock drafts have him going in the 4th & later.... I just don't believe that. I think he's as talented & as poised to succeed as any of the 1st rounders.... I like Zach, I like Boyd, I like Mankins, but I like McCarron more.

If I pass on Mettenberger in the second thinking McCarron will be there in the third, I'm screwed if he's not. Boyd will probably still be there, I'd take him in the third, but he's not really what I want. I don't believe Mankins is ready to play, but I do want him.

Aj McCarron, Bortles, Mettenberger are the guys I want. I don't want to spend the 1st overall on Bortles, I don't think he's better than the other two. I'll spend a second on McCarron & be very happy. Even though most everyone has him going in the 3rd or later.

I saw the words "pretty good" "has enough" and the idea "I am not in love with him" to continue my thought that McCarron is non-special player that you find in any draft. He is more non-awful than anything. I can't see him ever being more that a mid-level guy who won't be able tomake key plays when things are not perfect.
Old 01-30-2014   #118
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
If you think all he did was hand off and not turn the ball over you did not watch him play.
Old 01-30-2014   #119
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If you think all he did was hand off and not turn the ball over you did not watch him play.
That wasn't my point. Thunderkyss said that he doubted Alabama would have won all of those games without McCarron. All I did was point out that they did it with "inferior" QB's before he ever got his chance. I never said that's all he did. I said that's all he had to do.

He gets a lot of credit for being a winner. When "inferior" QB's were doing the same thing before he got there then I begin to discount that hype.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #120
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if McCarron is better than we collective doubt he is, his decision to skip the Senior Bowl (even to prevent aggravating some minor injury - Clowney and Ebron still decided to show) and now potentially not even throw the ball? He needs to drop whomever is giving him advice like 3rd period French, and fast.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read