Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-25-2014   #181
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ McCarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Mayock destroys about 99% of players, especially in the evaluation process.

The biggest difference on Thursday night Football and Monday night Football is Mayock hates and finds fault with every player that walks on the field and Gruden loves and finds great qualities with every player that walks on the field.
Guess that is what makes Gruden a coach and Mayock a 'scout'.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #182
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Aj McCarron's compares to:

Curtis Painter, Josh Booty, Brandon Weedon to name a few.
Not exactly a list you want to be apart of.
Old 02-25-2014   #183
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Not exactly a list you want to be apart of.
Here is a list of players Tom Brady is most comparable to.

Todd Husak82.2%
Sean Keenan79.1%
Bill Burke76.8%
Justin Fuente76.2%
Drew Olson75%
Hunter Cantwell74.6%
Josh Blankenship74.1%
Kyle Wright72.9%
John Stocco72.7%
Gino Guidugli

LINK

Measurables don't mean JACK.
Old 02-25-2014   #184
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Or...the way that program has been designed IT means jack.
Old 02-25-2014   #185
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I was high on McCarron pre-OU bowl game...That game showed me what i had suspicions about....I wanted to see if he could put the team on his back & will his team to victory...Instead i saw him crumble making horrible throws & looking uncomfortable most of the night. He looked like that more often than not when Bama got into tough games.

Maybe he & the team mailed it in after such a deflating loss to Auburn. Maybe he needs time to undo the game manager type of qb coaching Saban gives to all of his qbs. Either way, i kind of fell back on him after that game...did not like what i saw from him.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #186
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Or...the way that program has been designed IT means jack.
That site works off combine measurables.

I could test at the combine and it would tell you who I most closely resemble although I have no football skills or experience.
Old 02-25-2014   #187
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That site works off combine measurables.

I could test at the combine and it would tell you who I most closely resemble although I have no football skills or experience.
Just because you use the same ingredients doesn't mean you cook the same dish. There's an algorithm in the program weighing the measurables.
Old 02-25-2014   #188
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is a list of players Tom Brady is most comparable to.

Todd Husak82.2%
Sean Keenan79.1%
Bill Burke76.8%
Justin Fuente76.2%
Drew Olson75%
Hunter Cantwell74.6%
Josh Blankenship74.1%
Kyle Wright72.9%
John Stocco72.7%
Gino Guidugli

LINK

Being a quality NFL QB is largely an exception to the rule, and Tom Brady is literally this generation's biggest outlier. Basically unathletic, 6th round Qbs are a terrible bet to even hold down a 3rd string job even a few years.

There is reason people ALWAYS bring Brady, because he literally is the only dude who has done what he has. And no you (nor the NFL) has no special ability to find the next once in genration unatheltic, poorly built, 6th round QB who has out of this world intangibles.
Old 02-25-2014   #189
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 239143 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Could A.J. McCarron be the Texans future quarterback?

Bieber!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #190
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 239143 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Negatives on McCarron from Combine week:

McShay was told by multiple teams: "separated himself from the other QBs"(instead of being part of the position group), so-so leadership qualities, repeatedly unimpressive on the grease boards (football talk).
Old 02-26-2014   #191
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Negatives on McCarron from Combine week:

McShay was told by multiple teams: "separated himself from the other QBs"(instead of being part of the position group), so-so leadership qualities, repeatedly unimpressive on the grease boards (football talk).
He's carrying a chip on his shoulder right now, but (IMO) it's not the "I'm going to prove these guys wrong" chip like Brady carried. It's more like a "I'm so much better than they say I am, this is bull****" kind of chip.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #192
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He's carrying a chip on his shoulder right now, but (IMO) it's not the "I'm going to prove these guys wrong" chip like Brady carried. It's more like a "I'm so much better than they say I am, this is bull****" kind of chip.
completely agree. He's looking at his college resume at Bama & how much they won with him & the helm vs. every other prospects & is like "really?...this isn't a contest.."
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #193
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
completely agree. He's looking at his college resume at Bama & how much they won with him & the helm vs. every other prospects & is like "really?...this isn't a contest.."
Ken Dorsey
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #194
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I'm not going to harp on it, because I don't want anyone to get misconstrued & think McCarron is "my guy" I like him best of all the QBs coming out, but I'm going to support whoever the Texans pick & I'm not going to hate on everyone else because they aren't McCarron.

But I don't think he's looking at how much they won, I think he's looking at how much he contributed to those wins. Julio Jones was thought to be a phenomenal talent. Atlanta traded up to get him. No one said, "Look at all the talent they've got on that team." Trent Richardson was drafted in the first round, then traded for a first rounder. It didn't hurt his draft status that he was on such a talented team. If it weren't for his knees, Kouandjio would be a first round lock.

McCarron did more from the QB position than he's getting credit for. If I were him I'd have a chip on my shoulder as well.
Old 02-26-2014   #195
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not going to harp on it, because I don't want anyone to get misconstrued & think McCarron is "my guy" I like him best of all the QBs coming out, but I'm going to support whoever the Texans pick & I'm not going to hate on everyone else because they aren't McCarron.

But I don't think he's looking at how much they won, I think he's looking at how much he contributed to those wins. Julio Jones was thought to be a phenomenal talent. Atlanta traded up to get him. No one said, "Look at all the talent they've got on that team." Trent Richardson was drafted in the first round, then traded for a first rounder. It didn't hurt his draft status that he was on such a talented team. If it weren't for his knees, Kouandjio would be a first round lock.

McCarron did more from the QB position than he's getting credit for. If I were him I'd have a chip on my shoulder as well.
Put in most of the starting quarterbacks of the SEC in for McCarron and I bet you'd get comparable if not better results. Aaron Murray, Mettenberger, Manziel, and even Bo Wallace and James Franklin would all do as well if not better. My opinion, of course.
Old 02-26-2014   #196
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nothing wrong with having a guy. There is something wrong with having a guy and denying you have a guy though.

Many of your posts have been quite biased towards AJ and that's cool bro. He's your guy, own it. If you TRULY believe he can do what the top 3 can do and you can get him a 2.01 then that is your opinion and I respect your right to have one.

What I am starting to see from people in this board is riding of the fence though. You can't play both sides when it comes to opinions and debates. I think AJ will fail in the NFL, I don't see a future for him. I don't think he can hold the towels for the top 3 guys. I don't think he will be drafted until day 3. No wavering, I've stood firm since the beginning and never came off my stance, because I believed what my eyes and brain told me. When I'm right you will know it, if I am wrong I will own it.

This is all obviously my opinion though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #197
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

What I am starting to see from people in this board is riding of the fence though. You can't play both sides when it comes to opinions and debates. I think AJ will fail in the NFL, I don't see a future for him. I don't think he can hold the towels for the top 3 guys. I don't think he will be drafted until day 3. No wavering, I've stood firm since the beginning and never came off my stance, because I believed what my eyes and brain told me. When I'm right you will know it, if I am wrong I will own it.
Well I'm not riding the fence. I have no idea which one of these QBs will have a long successful career in the NFL. I believe there are 6 who might & have the ability to start sooner, rather than later.

I think it has more to do with the team than the player. None of these guys will elevate Cleveland, or Jacksonville, or Buffalo to relevance. None of them are going to beat Drew Brees, or Tom Brady out of a job. So if McCarron goes to a QB blackhole & fail, or becomes the backup for Rodgers, Rivers, or Manning & never see the field, don't come rubbing it in my face.

But if OB is who we think he is & we fix this team, where it needs to be fixed, or just plug up the dam a bit... any of these guys can improve the position & get us back on the right track.

If it were me, I'd pass on QB in the 1st round & take McCarron in the second. But I have no delusions & understand he may not be drafted at all. & even if "they" were talking about McCarron as one of the top three, I would not be suggesting we take him with 1-1..... I'd pass on him & take the one I like most of the 3 remaining from my list in the second (which would probably be Murray). That's how much I don't have "my guy" with these QBs.
Old 02-26-2014   #198
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Ken Dorsey
A "not very likable" Ken Dorsey.
Old 02-26-2014   #199
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Ken Dorsey
Nope

While McCarron's arm strength is avg. (60 yds, can throw deep out but has to be on time like Schaub. Arm is stronger than Schaub's arm)

Schaub's arm strength this yr is comparable to Dorsey's.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #200
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A "not very likable" Ken Dorsey.
That's not good news as I never found Dorsey to be likable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Nope

While McCarron's arm strength is avg. (60 yds, can throw deep out but has to be on time like Schaub. Arm is stronger than Schaub's arm)

Schaub's arm strength this yr is comparable to Dorsey's.
I guess my comment was pretty obscure but I wasn't trying to make a physical comparison.

The comments about McCarron's demeanor remind me of Dorsey, who had the same attitude when he came out in the draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read