Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ McCarron

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Who else is watching this kid and thinking "please let him fall to the Texans next year"?

The kid might be better than Schaub is right now.

He's not better than Schaub right now, but I like him...he's got the right mix of tools and he's definitely coachable. He looks natural coming off the bootleg.....the fact that his girlfriend is hot doesn't hurt either...lol.

Bring her GF in for a cheerleader try-out.
Leave McCarron back in the wood.
The Texans don't need him. :kitten:

The Texans don't need him. :kitten:

I see where you are going with this, and we are going to have to disagree pretty vehemently. A gentleman's bet on who has the better NFL career between the two (Keenum and McCarron)?

He's too sexy for his shirt, too sexy for his shirt, so sexy it hurts...

aj-mccarron-chest-tattoo-new.jpg

Who else is watching this kid and thinking "please let him fall to the Texans next year"?

We'd be better off hoping the Texans acquire the ammunition to move up to get him if he's looking as good as you think.... or hope he suffers a shoulder injury, ala Schaub, & tumbles through the draft but still capable of throwing 500 or so times a year.

Easily the most ridiculous post of the day.

Glad I could amuse. He is not having a great game tonight, but I stand by what I said- I want the Texans to draft McCarron, and I think that he may be better today than Schaub is. However, I would still haev Schaub as the starter for the 2014/15 season, as Schaub has a mastery of the playbook.

I see where you are going with this, and we are going to have to disagree pretty vehemently. A gentleman's bet on who has the better NFL career between the two (Keenum and McCarron)?

I still need to watch some more of McCarron to see how much he can improve this season.

I am a big fan but think he might be gone before Texans first pick and I would not trade up significantly to get him. Currently ranked #47 so he could be there. He does everything well and the only thing Schaub has on him is NFL experience. That is a lot but look what we are saying about Keenum. Sit McCarron or Fales behind MS for 2014 season and then watch him battle Keenum for starter. Also an advantage to having a #1 QB pick is both Yates and Case are up for new contracts in 2015 and McCarron could be a leverage.

I am a big fan but think he might be gone before Texans first pick and I would not trade up significantly to get him. Currently ranked #47 so he could be there. He does everything well and the only thing Schaub has on him is NFL experience. That is a lot but look what we are saying about Keenum. Sit McCarron or Fales behind MS for 2014 season and then watch him battle Keenum for starter. Also an advantage to having a #1 QB pick is both Yates and Case are up for new contracts in 2015 and McCarron could be a leverage.

Who was the impostor that played QB for the Tides against the Hokies?
I wonder if the "minor" surgery in the off-season affects McCarron.
I didn't like his play at all.
Happy feet, poor pocket presence, holding on to the ball too long, walking right into pressure, failing to recognize blitzes (except for a couple of times when he went quickly downfield - once for a TD, and once when he overthrew the receiver), throwing from his back foot - mainly 'cause he waited a hair too long. He needs to get out of that funk or the Aggies will have a win.

On a side note, the Texans have an option year with Keenum that will make him an ERFA in 2015. They can have him back for cheap.

Who was the impostor that played QB for the Tides against the Hokies?
I wonder if the "minor" surgery in the off-season affects McCarron.
I didn't like his play at all.
Happy feet, poor pocket presence, holding on to the ball too long, walking right into pressure, failing to recognize blitzes (except for a couple of times when he went quickly downfield - once for a TD, and once when he overthrew the receiver), throwing from his back foot - mainly 'cause he waited a hair too long. He needs to get out of that funk or the Aggies will have a win.

Yeah, I agree to all of this. I jinxed the guy pretty good- I started this thread after one or two drives. Almost immediately afterwards, he looked like crap.

bb- What the Texans do at the draft will tell us what they think of Yates' and Keenum's potential. If they draft a QB high (first 2 rounds), it says that they are not sold. If not, then they must like the two young guys.

Yeah, I agree to all of this. I jinxed the guy pretty good- I started this thread after one or two drives. Almost immediately afterwards, he looked like crap.

McCarron's never impressed me. The guy plays behind one of the top 3 or 4 OLs in the NCAA, always has a great running game, and his games are usually meh. He pops up a good one every now and again, but he just doesn't impress me across the board.

I'd love for the Texans to grab a bona fide successor to Schaub, but I just don't see it happening this year. If it does, I don't want it to be McCarron.

McCarron's never impressed me. The guy plays behind one of the top 3 or 4 OLs in the NCAA, always has a great running game, and his games are usually meh. He pops up a good one every now and again, but he just doesn't impress me across the board.

I see it differently than you do- I see him as a great player playing alongside a great team. But hey, that's what makes talking about this stuff great- the difference of opinions.

I like mccaron. Good mobility, good arm, finds the open man, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, plays some of the top competition in the country...I've never seen him look too rattled.

Plus I think he has a grittiness about himself.

I would definitely take qb in this coming draft. Seems like the perfect time to do it.

bb- What the Texans do at the draft will tell us what they think of Yates' and Keenum's potential. If they draft a QB high (first 2 rounds), it says that they are not sold. If not, then they must like the two young guys.

Yep you & I are on same page. I would not be surprised to see Yates & Keenum in some order BUT Yates may get offer to start elsewhere if it appears Case will start in Houston. As I think Fales and McCarron could be starters NFL and I think Schaub will be gone, I have to draft QB '14. Aj did have a not so good game but we will see how he corrects.

I like mccaron. Good mobility, good arm, finds the open man, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, plays some of the top competition in the country...I've never seen him look too rattled.

Plus I think he has a grittiness about himself.

I would definitely take qb in this coming draft. Seems like the perfect time to do it.

But he was rattled by the Hokies, Rey.
If the ST and the defense didn't give him 21 points, it could have been a total different story.

On the other hand, Saban kinda handcuff him, I think !?!

So right now we have 4 QB candidates right?
Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron, and Fales.
I have no idea where to rank them yet, even though I've seen them all (between eight to twelve games.)

So right now we have 4 QB candidates right?
Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron, and Fales.
I have no idea where to rank them yet, even though I've seen them all (between eight to twelve games.)
Some would add Stephen Morris to that group. I have not evaluated him yet.

08/30/2013 - MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER: QB Stephen Morris moves into his second year as the full-time starter after throwing for 3,345 yards and 21 touchdowns as a junior in 2012. He had huge games against North Carolina State, throwing for an ACC-record 566 yards, and Georgia Tech (436 yards passing) and is the unquestioned leader of an offense that looks to be among the best in the ACC this fall - The Sports Xchange

•More Stephen Morris News
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737635/stephen-morris

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501142/stephen-morris

"[The offense] is fun to play in," said Morris, who finished fourth in the ACC last season, averaging 279 passing yards per game. "The opportunity guys have to catch the ball and run with it, spread it out, go in the pro-set and run the ball -- it pleases the offensive line, the running backs, the receivers. We'll be in Wing one set, completely spread out the next. I'm excited for it. He's implemented his own stuff that he had before, and I think it's a great fit for us." http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/fsu/post/_/id/9170/fsu-notes-coley-at-home-in-miami

Yesterday's game showed the McCarron I saw last year. Glad to see he bounced back from his shaky week 1 performance.

I think we're all adults here, for the most part, that we can all agree Kubiak is the one who would sign off, if that where the case. AJ embodies everything Gary values, both on & off the field. That goes a long way despite what ANY OF US MAY FEEL regarding his transition to next level. I think in that sense he would fit like a glove in this offense & would benefit a couple years because Matt is going NOWHERE SOON.

He is fundamentally sound, can take snaps under center, runs the bootleg, intelligent reads through his progressions, decent pocket awareness, lacks a strong arm but seems to release the ball well with good accuracy. Texans also like coach Sabin coaching & teaching his young player to develop leadership & character like professionals, that's why year in & year out Alabama has the one of if not the top recruiting classes in the country.

I will sign off with rmartin65 & badboy that AJ MCCarron is a very legitimate first round target in the 2014 draft for the Texans.

I think we're all adults here, for the most part, that we can all agree Kubiak is the one who would sign off, if that where the case. AJ embodies everything Gary values, both on & off the field. That goes a long way despite what ANY OF US MAY FEEL regarding his transition to next level. I think in that sense he would fit like a glove in this offense & would benefit a couple years because Matt is going NOWHERE SOON.

He is fundamentally sound, can take snaps under center, runs the bootleg, intelligent reads through his progressions, decent pocket awareness, lacks a strong arm but seems to release the ball well with good accuracy. Texans also like coach Sabin coaching & teaching his young player to develop leadership & character like professionals, that's why year in & year out Alabama has the one of if not the top recruiting classes in the country.

I will sign off with rmartin65 & badboy that AJ MCCarron is a very legitimate first round target in the 2014 draft for the Texans.

I could see McCarron being the Texans 1st rd pick next yr. Especially if Schaub's foot gives him problems this yr. McCarron can make all of the throws.

Saban is a great HC, but you give him too much credit on the character thingy. (ReLondo McClain sp?)

I could see McCarron being the Texans 1st rd pick next yr. Especially if Schaub's foot gives him problems this yr. McCarron can make all of the throws.

Saban is a great HC, but you give him too much credit on the character thingy. (ReLondo McClain sp?)

lol SB. That's what he sells as part of his program there are always going to be exceptions, drop outs or busts (NFL).

I heard that Hundley (UCLA) and Mariota (Oregon) may enter the draft as redshirted Sophomore.

Some have them leapfrogging all the QB prospect except for Bridgewater.

Whatcha think?

I heard that Hundley (UCLA) and Mariota (Oregon) may enter the draft as redshirted Sophomore.

Whatcha think?

Basic rule of thumb is those QBs who stay in school do better at the next level. Can't say I disagree with that thinking. Today, right now Tajh Boyd would be my choice for #1 QB in the 2014 draft.

Whatcha think?

That's a stacked QB class so you have to think that a few of these guys are going back for senior (or junior in some cases) years. Haven't seen Hundley play but I know that Mariota is probably going to be highly thought of due to how well RG3, Wilson and Newton all did their rookie years.

But yeah I like a lot of QB's out of this class:

Bridgewater
Manziel (Although I can see why people wouldn't like him currently)
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray
hell even Mettenberger at LSU looks pretty good.

Haven't seen Hundley, and I don't know what to think of Mariota really since he would take a lot more attention to detail to get an idea of what his NFL look might be.

That's a stacked QB class so you have to think that a few of these guys are going back for senior (or junior in some cases) years. Haven't seen Hundley play but I know that Mariota is probably going to be highly thought of due to how well RG3, Wilson and Newton all did their rookie years.

Bridgewater
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray

Haven't seen Hundley, and I don't know what to think of Mariota really since he would take a lot more attention to detail to get an idea of what his NFL look might be.

I expect Hundley & Mariota to stay in school one more year. Who knows about Manziel he is bit of a maverick. Bridgewater is impressive throwing the ball but not so sure about his decision making. Boyd is polished, physical & highly competitive, I really like him. McCarron is a plug & play QB for Kubiak system. No opinion on Fales, both hot & cold. Murray is next Drew Brees, great leadership, accurate throws both short & deep. Mettenberger reminds me of a young Jim Harbaugh, tough, stands tall in the pocket in face of pass rush, captain comeback ability, strong arm.

Several to choose from if Texans don't take the BQBA I'll quit following them until Kubiak is gone.

I expect Hundley & Mariota to stay in school one more year. Who knows about Manziel he is bit of a maverick. Bridgewater is impressive throwing the ball but not so sure about his decision making. Boyd is polished, physical & highly competitive, I really like him. McCarron is a plug & play QB for Kubiak system. No opinion on Fales, both hot & cold. Murray is next Drew Brees, great leadership, accurate throws both short & deep. Mettenberger reminds me of a young Jim Harbaugh, tough, stands tall in the pocket in face of pass rush, captain comeback ability, strong arm.

Several to choose from if Texans don't take the BQBA I'll quit following them until Kubiak is gone.

Beerlover "the scout". We again agree on evaluation. Manziel is a fascinating prospect that I would select if I had a complete team and could gamble with a first round. We with this team cannot afford to "miss" on any first rounder. My concern is that we will have another KJ incident meaning that we needed a corner who could step in year one and be effective. KJ was considered "pro" ready and then took 3 years. That was the complaint I had then as many on MB should recall. We are in a unique position with QB that we can keep Shaub thru 2014 & allow whomever to sit and learn. I would not scream if we took Manziel but if McCarron is sitting there, he is more pro ready.

As we discussed pm, I am starting to change on selecting a QB as I think MS is going nowhere so I will not mock a QB at this time.

Bridgewater
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray

Here's how I would rank those QB's as related to the Texans QB needs
1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Manziel, the ultimate wildcard, he could end up #1 in this class. If you like Boyd you should love Manziel.
5. Murray
6. Boyd, I dont like his throwing motion and decision making, he runs too hot and cold for my taste
7. Fales, I've only seen him play last wk and wasn't impressed

Here's how I would rank those QB's as related to the Texans QB needs
1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Manziel, the ultimate wildcard, he could end up #1 in this class. If you like Boyd you should love Manziel.
5. Murray
6. Boyd, I dont like his throwing motion and decision making, he runs too hot and cold for my taste
7. Fales, I've only seen him play last wk and wasn't impressed

Flip McCarron and Murray and I largely agree with this list. I have watched almost every game McCarron has played. He has just never impressed me. I do not see him being anything special at the pro level. Murray is going to be considered less of a pro prospect just because of his height, but the guy can sling it. He may bust out as well, but I think he has a higher potential than McCarron. And let's face it, if you're drafting a QB early, so you really want another Matt Schaub? Or do you want a guy who might be better?

Tonight Bama & A J McCarron take on LSU and Zack Mettenberger. While a big majority of the talking heads and draftniks say McCarron is a 3rd RD draft pick, I predict A J McCarron will be on many NFL teams 1st RD draft board. In fact if the Texans do go with a QB in Rd 1 there is a good chance McCarron could be Houston Texans if they don't go with Johnny Football.

McCarron has a many similarities that remind me of Joe Montana while at Notre Dame, cool, calm, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, relishes the opportunity to come from behind and likes to take care of business with last possession game winning drives. And like Montana, all McCarron does is WIN!

Last edited:
Well you won't get much support for that POV here but it would not surprise me. I had him in third on my mock but don't see him getting out of second. I am ok with that as I am no longer picking QB until late to back up Keenum. He is as good as any QB I've watched this season if you take Maziel's charisma and football magic out of it.

Alabama versus Auburn: McCarron under pressure drops a 20 yard TD pass over two defenders. Great pocket and what Texans have to build no matter who is QB.

9 of 13 85 yards 2 TDs no INTs.

McCarron finished tonight game against Auburn, great game by the way.

17 of 29, 277 yds., 3 TD's and 0 Int's.

For the season he's 190 of 277, 2399 yds., 68.6% Comp., 23 TD's and 5 Int's.

Interesting tidbit that I realized tonight....McCarron won just 1 conference championship during his 4 years.

Would think he won more with the way Bama has dominated college football recently.

McCarron finished tonight game against Auburn, great game by the way.

17 of 29, 277 yds., 3 TD's and 0 Int's.

For the season he's 190 of 277, 2399 yds., 68.6% Comp., 23 TD's and 5 Int's.

Yep,

He also played well under pressure from a ferocious Auburn defense.

I liked what I saw last night for a late 2nd, maybe 3rd rounder. He had one poor pass that I saw. That deep pass to Cooper was also kind of floaty, but it got the job done. Something I like about him is that he appears calm throughout the entire game.

To me , AJ has an average arm at best . Team that with average mobility and you have an average at best skill set . He is a smart QB where he plays a pretty clean game .

I actually like McCarron but at best he is Matt Moore/Colt McCoy in the NFL. Average skills with a good head on his shoulders. There is a place for those guys in the league, but it's not in the starting lineup on a playoff team.

I actually like McCarron but at best he is Matt Moore/Colt McCoy in the NFL. Average skills with a good head on his shoulders. There is a place for those guys in the league, but it's not in the starting lineup on a playoff team.

Is he Greg McElroy ?

Is he Greg McElroy ?

No, he's better than that. He's the most talented QB Saban has had at Alabama. But in a league with 32 teams his ceiling is probably being about the 25th best QB. Talented enough to be in the league, not talented enough to take you anywhere.

No, he's better than that. He's the most talented QB Saban has had at Alabama. But in a league with 32 teams his ceiling is probably being about the 25th best QB. Talented enough to be in the league, not talented enough to take you anywhere.

I've seen where they compare him to Alex Smith .

Back