Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2013   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Natl' writer predicts 8-8 for Texans, blown out of division race

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...division-race/

Fans disagree.
85% vote so far for the Texans to win it.

Also, for the question of which QB will take his team to the SB first, Schaub or Romo, Schaub got a landslide 80% vote.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Natl' writer predicts 8-8 for Texans, blown out of division race

I could see 8-8 or 9-7. I think 9-7 is probably more reasonable. If we win 10 games that will be a huge win IMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I could see 8-8 or 9-7. I think 9-7 is probably more reasonable. If we win 10 games that will be a huge win IMO.
So this roster is worst than 2012 or schedule or exactly what gets you to those numbers?
Old 08-29-2013   #4
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really! Why?
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

F Him.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Really! Why?
Good question. This team is too talented and has too much experience to go 8-8 or 9-7 without serious health problems.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hate to say it but I agree. I hope I'm wrong though.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So this roster is worst than 2012 or schedule or exactly what gets you to those numbers?

It's just my opinion.

Doesn't mean I don't think we can't win a superbowl...But I think this years schedule is going to be much harder than last year's and I don't think we've significantly upgraded to counteract that.

But again, winning a bunch of games in the regular season doesn't mean anything to me really. Win enough to get in, and then have your team making plays at the right times.
Old 08-29-2013   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be surprised if the Texans fell to 8-8.

I expect 10-6 or better, provided the starting roster stays healthy.
Old 08-29-2013   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Really! Why?
I don't agree with 8-8, but I'll take a stab at it.

No LBers. The best LB this preseason was probably Brooks Reed. Cushing is going to have some problems getting back to form, and that injury does take time to come back from. Remember Ryans didn't start to play like himself until late in the season. Willie Jefferson is a nice rookie, but he's still a rookie, and raw at that.

OL - I think the OL is going to be as bad as it was last season. That doesn't necessarily equate to more losses right off, but it does make it harder for them to be effective on offense, especially in the red zone. Ben Jones is not good and Newton is somewhere between bad and awful at pass pro. Brooks at RG might be a beast in the run game, but he's going to have some problems in pass pro as well.

Schedule - I think this year's schedule is tougher. '49ers, Seahawks, Pats, Ravens, and Broncos are all among the top 3 or 4 teams in their conference. The Colts are never an easy game, and Luck will be that much more seasoned when he faces them.

Schaub - sorry, I know some will disagree with me, but the guy is an issue. He's been off target thus far in the preseason, and last year's late season slide has done nothing to bolster my confidence in him. After 2011, everyone said the Texans were one Matt Schaub away from winning the Super Bowl. Well, the 2012 Texans got their Matt Schaub and there wasn't much difference in the end. He'll put up his usual stats, and they'll be just as useless as they've always been. Moving the ball between the 20s and settling for FGs seems to be what Schaub (and Kubiak) excels at. If Foster can regain his 2011 form, then some of those FGs become TDs, and that will matter. But because of the aforementioned OL, I don't see that happening, and then it falls to Schaub.

Safety - Manning is solid. After that, you have a 35 year old safety with a blown out hip that couldn't tackle last year, a rookie that hasn't proven to be ready for prime time just yet, and a special teams try hard guy that just can't quite cut it at the position. Oh, and a second round bust at CB being moved to safety to see if he can be salvaged. And Eddie Pleasant.

All that said, I reiterate that I don't buy 8-8. I could see 9-7 if a key injury or two happened (*knock wood*), but 10-6 seems more likely to me, and that should be good enough to win the division. 11 or 12 wins is feasible if the aforementioned concerned prove to be unfounded.
Old 08-29-2013   #11
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't agree with 8-8, but I'll take a stab at it.

No LBers. The best LB this preseason was probably Brooks Reed. Cushing is going to have some problems getting back to form, and that injury does take time to come back from. Remember Ryans didn't start to play like himself until late in the season. Willie Jefferson is a nice rookie, but he's still a rookie, and raw at that.

OL - I think the OL is going to be as bad as it was last season. That doesn't necessarily equate to more losses right off, but it does make it harder for them to be effective on offense, especially in the red zone. Ben Jones is not good and Newton is somewhere between bad and awful at pass pro. Brooks at RG might be a beast in the run game, but he's going to have some problems in pass pro as well.

Schedule - I think this year's schedule is tougher. '49ers, Seahawks, Pats, Ravens, and Broncos are all among the top 3 or 4 teams in their conference. The Colts are never an easy game, and Luck will be that much more seasoned when he faces them.

Schaub - sorry, I know some will disagree with me, but the guy is an issue. He's been off target thus far in the preseason, and last year's late season slide has done nothing to bolster my confidence in him. After 2011, everyone said the Texans were one Matt Schaub away from winning the Super Bowl. Well, the 2012 Texans got their Matt Schaub and there wasn't much difference in the end. He'll put up his usual stats, and they'll be just as useless as they've always been. Moving the ball between the 20s and settling for FGs seems to be what Schaub (and Kubiak) excels at. If Foster can regain his 2011 form, then some of those FGs become TDs, and that will matter. But because of the aforementioned OL, I don't see that happening, and then it falls to Schaub.

Safety - Manning is solid. After that, you have a 35 year old safety with a blown out hip that couldn't tackle last year, a rookie that hasn't proven to be ready for prime time just yet, and a special teams try hard guy that just can't quite cut it at the position. Oh, and a second round bust at CB being moved to safety to see if he can be salvaged. And Eddie Pleasant.

All that said, I reiterate that I don't buy 8-8. I could see 9-7 if a key injury or two happened (*knock wood*), but 10-6 seems more likely to me, and that should be good enough to win the division. 11 or 12 wins is feasible if the aforementioned concerned prove to be unfounded.
Damn, nailed pretty much every concern I have and why I think we'll go 8-8 except for a couple. First is Kubes is not going to be able to adapt and beat elite teams and we have too many of them on our schedule. The other is our special teams continues to look awful and Kubes and company of course never addressed it besides adding a freaking ST Assistant so we'll be getting sucky ass special teams again thanks to Kubes and his idiotic blind loyalties.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Pats still have a lot of problems on Defense and Brady had lost a few weapons (Welker, Hernandez, and Woodhead).

With Von Miller suspended for the first six games (who knows what shape he's going to be in upon his return), the recent injury to Bailey and Wolfe, it's easy to see that the Broncos could lose a couple of games right off the bat against the Ravens and the Giants. One of two other teams might just pull out a win against a Miller-less defense that has basically little to no pass pressure anywhere else now that Dummervil is gone.
Upon his return, Miller will be in Indianapolis.
Then they will face RGIII at home before a meeting with Rivers in SD.
The Broncos are likely to have a 7-4 or 6-5 record during that period with two games on the road against the Pats and the Texans to follow.
Old 08-29-2013   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Pats still have a lot of problems on Defense and Brady had lost a few weapons (Welker, Hernandez, and Woodhead).

With Von Miller suspended for the first six games (who knows what shape he's going to be in upon his return), the recent injury to Bailey and Wolfe, it's easy to see that the Broncos could lose a couple of games right off the bat against the Ravens and the Giants. One of two other teams might just pull out a win against a Miller-less defense that has basically little to no pass pressure anywhere else now that Dummervil is gone.
Upon his return, Miller will be in Indianapolis.
Then they will face RGIII at home before a meeting with Rivers in SD.
The Broncos are likely to have a 7-4 or 6-5 record during that period with two games on the road against the Pats and the Texans to follow.
What does any of that have to do with the Texans record?
Old 08-29-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with the Texans record?
The chance of the Texans against those teams are better than last year, especially with the return of Cushing.
Old 08-29-2013   #15
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I can kind of understand you guys saying we didn't improve as a team from last season (but I actually disagree). Tell me what elite team in the AFC has improved from last season? Broncos, Patriots, Ravens have all lost players and have big questions marks up & down their rosters as well.

The only playoff team that has improved their roster are probably the Colts, but I still think think they're a year or two away from contending.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I can kind of understand you guys saying we didn't improve as a team from last season (but I actually disagree). Tell me what elite team in the AFC has improved from last season? Broncos, Patriots, Ravens have all lost players and have big questions marks up & down their rosters as well.

The only playoff team that has improved their roster are probably the Colts, but I still think think they're a year or two away from contending.
I don't think those teams needed to improve. I don't recall those teams getting blown out by the same team twice with one blow out coming in the play-offs. That's pretty bad....I don't understand how one team is on such a higher level than you that they blow you out twice within the span of a few weeks. That's pretty damn bad thinking about it.

I think we did improve, but I think the core problems on this team still exist until proven otherwise.
Old 08-29-2013   #17
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
After that, you have a 35 year old safety with a blown out hip that couldn't tackle last year

Is this Reed you are pointing out? With 49 tackles 4 ints last year? on his tackles thats 3-4 above his career avg
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans go 8-8 with the best defensive player on the planet , the pink slips should be fast and furious .

Having said that , JJ doesn't make as much difference as Andrew Luck and that concerns me . Schaubs no where near Brady or Manning and that's who the Texans are competeing with
Old 08-29-2013   #19
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big fan of the schedule.

I'll say one more thing: if the Texans win only 1 of their last 4 games like they have the last couple of seasons they will NOT make the playoffs this time. This year they must finish with some wins.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #20
Big Valley
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Big Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Valley is a quality contributor and well respected

You look around the AFC and you'll find glaring problems with all the teams.

10-6.
Big Valley is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read