Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-10-2015   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 445617 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Long time Steelers DC Dick LeBeau resigns

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac
Quote:
Dick LeBeau out as defensive coordinator. Says he and #Steelers have agreed to mutually part ways: "Time to go in a different direction."

Quote:
"I'm resigning this position, not retiring," LeBeau, 77, said. "I had a great run in Pittsburgh. I'm grateful for all the things that have happened to me and thankful for all the support I had in Pittsburgh."

Last edited by Playoffs; 01-10-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 364755 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Long time Steelers DC Dick LeBeau resigns

Whoa??
Old 01-10-2015   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 208009 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The tradition of good defense in Pittsburgh (as we know it) just might be a thing of the past.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 364755 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The tradition of good defense in Pittsburgh (as we know it) just might be a thing of the past.
& Lebeau may have been asked to resign the position because of it.
Old 01-10-2015   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 208009 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& Lebeau may have been asked to resign the position because of it.
Guess you're right. Being in the top 5 in total defense is unacceptable.
Old 01-10-2015   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 147571 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully it's not for undisclosed health issues.

Obviously I'm far from a Steelers fan, but I have much respect for LeBeau.
Old 01-10-2015   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 445617 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Don't think so...
Quote:
LeBeau just completed his 11th season in his second tour of duty with the Steelers, but he was asked to resign after meeting for several days with Coach Mike Tomlin.

“I’m resigning, I’m not retiring,” LeBeau said in an interview with the Post-Gazette after the story was first reported by the Urbana (Ohio) Daily Citizen. “It was a lot of great days, a lot of great years. It’s time to go in a different direction.”

During his tenure with the Steelers, LeBeau’s defense ranked No. 1 overall in the league five times and in the top five 10 times.
“It happens,” said LeBeau, 77, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who spent 56 years in the league as a player and coach. “It’s like I’m starting brand new. In this business you can end up in that position.”

LeBeau said he did not know if he will continue to coach in the NFL.

“I don’t even know, but I’m not retiring,” LeBeau said. “There might not be anyone interested.”
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2015   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Don't think so...
If that's the case Pittsburgh f'ed up.
Old 01-10-2015   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141708 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure what you're referring to here - Pittsburgh's D hasn't been top 10 in either yardage or points for the last two seasons.
Old 01-10-2015   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Not sure what you're referring to here - Pittsburgh's D hasn't been top 10 in either yardage or points for the last two seasons.
I pulled it up on the internet. NLF.COM said this (5th). I wanted to verify again and I got they were 18 (which is fine in terms of a DC).

I don't know what to tell ya.

I stand by my argument, especially to TK who simply guessed. LaBeau is awesome today, and would be tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2015   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I stand by my argument, especially to TK who simply guessed. LaBeau is awesome today, and would be tomorrow.
I guessed??

Pittsburgh's D has not been "The Pittsburgh D" LeBeau is famous for for a long, long time. Even if their numbers were top 5, when they were needed to be stout, they weren't.

I can't remember the last time the Pittsburgh D won them a game.

& their tradition of developing LBs seem to have gone by the wayside.

I blame Tomlin myself. But it seems like they're making LeBeau the goat.
Old 01-11-2015   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 129489 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
signed Wade Phillips

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128807 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tomlin has now forced out LeBeau and Bruce Arians. The guy is such a prick.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 481877 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Don't think so...

LeBeau just completed his 11th season in his second tour of duty with the Steelers, but he was asked to resign after meeting for several days with Coach Mike Tomlin.
Totally conflicting reports out:

Quote:
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL GameDay Morning that LeBeau's resignation caught the Steelers by surprise, per sources involved in the situation.

While some in the organization were clear that LeBeau could stay as long as he wanted, the longtime coach thought it was time to go, Rapoport was told. It's believed that LeBeau, 77, wanted to depart alongside veterans such as cornerback Ike Taylor and safety Troy Polamalu, who are unlikely to be back with Pittsburgh in 2015.

The logical heir apparent for LeBeau is Keith Butler, who the Titans tried to hire away last offseason. The Steelers blocked the move, perhaps paving the way for Butler -- the team's long-tenured linebackers coach -- to take over Pittsburgh's coordinating duties.
Link
Old 01-11-2015   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Totally conflicting reports out:
They edited that paragraph since I posted it...
Quote:
Mr. LeBeau, one of the most revered defensive coordinators in the National Football League who is regarded as the architect of the zone blitz that is copied by many other teams, agreed to resign after meetings over several days with Coach Mike Tomlin...
Then added this inference...
Quote:
The mutual parting was reminiscent of the announcement three years ago that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians had agreed to “retire” when in fact team president Art Rooney II told him he would not be offered a new contract. A week later, Mr. Arians joined the Indianapolis Colts as offensive coordinator.
His defense finished 18th overall in the league, including 27th against the pass. The Steelers allowed 15 pass plays of 40 yards or longer, second most in the league behind the Philadelphia Eagles (18). It was the second season in a row the Steelers allowed more long pass plays than any team in the AFC...
I'd believe the local papers over whatever is put out for Rapoport to publish. He's a public relations mimeograph.
Old 01-12-2015   #16
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 128564 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like there are rumors that Dom Capers might be out in Green Bay after the season. I think that would be a perfect landing spot for LeBeau, if that is the case.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 460046 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope he doesn't land as a DC in the AFC South!

Someone is going to get a helluva' coach in LeBeau.
Old 01-12-2015   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 268705 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Seems like there are rumors that Dom Capers might be out in Green Bay after the season. I think that would be a perfect landing spot for LeBeau, if that is the case.
Aren't they the same guy? I think they'll look for someone a little younger. Like 60-65.
Old 01-12-2015   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 180032 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Obviously I'm far from a Steelers fan, but I have much respect for LeBeau.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I just hope he doesn't land as a DC in the AFC South!

Someone is going to get a helluva' coach in LeBeau.
Agreed! I've always respected the heck out of his defenses. They were very entertaining to watch
Old 01-12-2015   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 128564 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Aren't they the same guy? I think they'll look for someone a little younger. Like 60-65.
IMO, Capers can't hold LeBeau's jock.
I think GB has could be the best team in football for the next 2-4 years with an improved defense, so I'd take LeBeau in a heartbeat if I was GM there.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read