Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2013   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Good Article on Watt.

I didn't see this posted, so I thought I would share.

Quote:
HOUSTON -- JJ Watt has a pretty good idea what time he will go to sleep tonight, and next Monday, and could probably recite the times he will eat and what foods he will put in his body for at least the next few days or so.

His existence -- singularly focused on being the best football player he can possibly be, if not one of the greats of all-time -- is stunningly calculated, particularly for a 24-year-old kid.

Potential distractions are cast aside or never entertained; girlfriends, a social life, swank parties do not exist in his world where literally every hour, or half hour, is carefully scripted to maximize the Houston Texans defensive end's opportunity to fulfill his dream.

This pursuit has served him incredibly -- historically -- well in two explosive seasons, despite the challenges he faces as a 3-4 defensive end, and if Watt were to shatter the single-season sack record or knock down even more passes than he did a year ago, at this point no one who knows him would be surprised.

"Every single part of my life is calculated," Watt said, looking refreshed even as the monotony of training camp transitions into the regular season routine. "Everything. I'm sure part of it is unhealthy, because my personal relationships suffer, I don't have much of a social life. I literally dedicate my life to this game, and you're not going to find me out, you're not going to find me at the bar, you're not going to find me outside my house very often, because if I'm not at the stadium I'm recovering, I'm eating, I'm doing some recovery for my legs, I'm getting my body ready.

"I know that I have probably an eight- to 10-year window in this league, and if I want to be what I say I want to be, then I have to commit myself 100 percent. That's why I don't have a girlfriend, because I give my life to this game and I want to be the best in this game, and I know it takes an unbelievable commitment. And so I've sacrificed that stuff. I know I've probably missed out on some great parties and some fun at the bars, but to me getting sacks on Sunday and the opportunity to be an All Pro and the opportunity to get Defensive Player of the Year far outweighs any party I could go to."
LINK

Last edited by Lucky; 08-23-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: reduced quoted article
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #2
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good Article on Watt.

Don't know what to say, other than AWESOME!! SO proud he's a TEXAN!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #3
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

He is special, and if he continues this route with his ability in the NFL, and more importantly his personal manners and how he conducts himself this city will raise a statue of him as he enters the hall of fame.

It's been a long time since I've been impressed with a players off the field mannerism as well as his ability on the field. I am glad to have players like this reignite my faith in people.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, that leaves me almost speechless. What a guy! And still there @ #11. Think there are some GMs kicking themselves in the backside? I was all aboard with the pick. I know some weren't. My guess is, at this point, they'd never admit it and have warmed up to it.

What's a good guess at what it'll take to keep JJ in a Texans uni? 150m/+?

Time to take out a loan Bob! This super human isn't going anywhere. Might not have a team around him, but JJ will certainly be a Texan until he decides to hang 'em up.

I hope #80 is our first HOF'er though with the difficulty of the WR logjam, I'm not as sure as some folks appear to be. I think I can say with absolute certainty that Wade was correct in his statement last year that JJ is definitely a bust.

IN CANTON! No doubt in my mind.

Thanks, Doc for posting that. I'd not seen it yet.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #5
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75018 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Man, that leaves me almost speechless. What a guy! And still there @ #11. Think there are some GMs kicking themselves in the backside? I was all aboard with the pick. I know some weren't. My guess is, at this point, they'd never admit it and have warmed up to it.
1 CAR Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2 DEN Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
3 BUF Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
4 CIN A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
5 ARI Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6 ATL Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7 SF Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
8 TEN Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9 DAL Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10 JAX Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

11 HOU J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

Probably want those picks back.
Old 08-23-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

gone be a lot of hearts break'n wide open in Houston when they find out he's mortal
Old 08-23-2013   #7
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
gone be a lot of hearts break'n wide open in Houston when they find out he's mortal
If you're gonna call Watt mortal, you better have some evidence.

Old 08-24-2013   #8
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post

Man, also including Andy Dalton and Ryan Kerrigan who aren't too far behind, that was a solid draft class.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #9
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post

Is this just random poking fun at Dallas or saying that Tyron Smith is bad? Because uh
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

How does Russel Wilson last until the third round (75th overall), in the 2012 Draft ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
How does Russel Wilson last until the third round (75th overall), in the 2012 Draft ?
He's "too short", remember?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
He's "too short", remember?
If Case went undrafted... he must be a midget.

There must have been something else. Something some of us just don't understand (obviously).
Old 08-24-2013   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh man oh man, we better start freeing up money if we want to sign this guy, of course it wouldnt surprise me if he stayed here regardless of the money. He just seems like that type of player.
Old 08-24-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
He is special, and if he continues this route with his ability in the NFL, and more importantly his personal manners and how he conducts himself this city will raise a statue of him as he enters the hall of fame.

It's been a long time since I've been impressed with a players off the field mannerism as well as his ability on the field. I am glad to have players like this reignite my faith in people.
What if Schaub loses another piece of the earlobe in the process of getting the Super Bowl MVP?!?

As scary as it may sound, it can happen, you know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure size plays a role. You hate to see your QB goes down when he get hits a time or two.
But sometimes, I still think that these coaches are human (well, they are.)
Some get carried away a bit too much with great athletic ability.
RGIII, for example, could get hurt because of his playing style.
He did tear an ACL in 2009 and missed the majority of that season.

Now, RGIII is a good passer, too.
The question is that if you want him to reign in the scrambling stuff that he's very good at, would he still be as effective?
Do you still grade him at 100, or should you put him at 95 or what?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #16
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26704 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't get me wrong, I dig me some JJ Watt.

But I think people need to be cautious about falling
in love too quickly.

From what I'm hearing, JJ is very sharp about controlling
social media in a positive light -- and has plans on
bolting Houston (or wherever he is..) to head back home
to Wisconsin when his playing days are done.

I don't begrudge him for that at all. I love my hometown
as well...

But folks that think he's gonna stick around and become
an icon for the city (a la Nolan, Bum, Earl, Clyde,
etc.) may be in for a dissapointment down the road.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #17
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95576 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Oh man oh man, we better start freeing up money if we want to sign this guy, of course it wouldnt surprise me if he stayed here regardless of the money. He just seems like that type of player.
No way in hell he gets away. He is the poster child for what McNair wants as a player and Bob will pay him as such. I honestly do think he will not even sniff FA at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

in love too quickly.

as well...

TJ
No biggie. Doesn't Hakeem live here and Vancouver? Nolan, Bum and Clyde were local to begin with so that is not a fair comparison. If he does play his entire career here he will always have a connection with this city.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

in love too quickly.

as well...

TJ
Houston's best shot at keeping JJ around over the long-term/after his playing days is if he get's involved with a local woman who's family all lives in the Houston family. JJ does like women, right ? Otherwise, he's gonna want to go home and be with his family and enjoy those beautiful Wisconsin Summers & Falls. Maybe he could have a second home in Houston for the winters ?
But I really think it's a bit premature to put JJ in the NFL HOF, notwithstanding his HOF calibre season last year. Besides having a great season or two, he's got to establish some consistency during a career that should span many years.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #19
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:

in love too quickly.

as well...

TJ
Kind of feel like you wasted your time with this post, because all those guys are FROM here and PLAYED here. Watt's not a Texan, but he plays one on TV..
Old 08-24-2013   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston's best shot at keeping JJ around over the long-term/after his playing days is if he get's involved with a local woman who's family all lives in the Houston family. JJ does like women, right ? Otherwise, he's gonna want to go home and be with his family and enjoy those beautiful Wisconsin Summers & Falls. Maybe he could have a second home in Houston for the winters ?
But I really think it's a bit premature to put JJ in the NFL HOF, notwithstanding his HOF calibre season last year. Besides having a great season or two, he's got to establish some consistency during a career that should span many years.
After his next contract, he's going to have enough money to have multiple summer and winter homes anywhere he wants.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read