Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-season 8/25/2013, Game 3 vs Saints + Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

Rey

1) Offensive production vs. a questionable Saints defense

2) Pass defense vs Brees

3) Special teams vs Sproles

4) OLB's. It's getting close to real action. This is the last action almost all starters will see. Something needs to shake loose with the OLB's opposite Reed. Mercilus needs to step up or one of the other guys. Then the depth needs to play itself out.

5) I want to see how Swearinger plays after last week's unfortunate play. I don't want to see any hesitancy when going to make contact with ball carriers.

1) QBs -- I want all of these guys to be on top of their games and competing.

2) OL -- The Saints have a good front. They've gotten 11 sacks so far in 2 preseason games. I want to see how we deal with it.

3) OLB -- I want to see some guys step up. I've got a feeling we're about to get a slew of OLB draft picks suddenly get injured and end up on IR because the UDFAs are outperforming them.

4) WRs -- I just want to see Martin and Jean continue to improve.

5) DBs -- Brees is a monster. Hopefully, we sack Brees so it doesn't become a true test for our DBs but... knowing Brees... this is going to be a good test of our secondary.

1) Quessenberry, Jones, Brooks -- Quess all around, Jones & Brooks run blocking

2) JJoe and Brice McCain -- need to see better coverage

3) Can Willie disengage?

4) Mays vs. Sharpton

5) Can Bouye hang against Brees & Co.?

I would imagine the starters will play most of the 1st half. So I'm interested in everything all of them do. It will say a lot about how we are prepared for the season.

In particular I am interested in how the D responds to the Saints offense, which is a good one and a damn fine QB.

I want to see Schaub and the O line perform very well. Any sloppiness on their part is going to result in multiple pissy posts by me. LOL

5) Can Bouye hang against Brees & Co.?

Are we missing a corner? Serious question because I don't remember hearing about any injuries...And Bouye probably doesn't play against Brees unless there's an injury...

If there isn't an injury...Congratulations Play-offs...You just jinxed us...:king:

Same as last week, really

I'd like to see Quessenberry get time with the one's. Re-watched last weeks game again and was even more impressed than originally.

OLBs

1. Special teams 2. LG & RT 3. Mays & Sharpton 4. Jean & Martin 5. A. Smith's replacement

I'm not around as much anymore - just wanna say good luck and the customary wish for no injuries.

Good info. I did not know that.

We've had really inspired play from Cam Jordan, Akiem Hicks, Tyrunn Walker, and Glenn Foster. Relative unknowns, aside from Jordan. They have looked amazing in camp and in games, generating pressure from just the front 3. How long that lasts and how legitimate re: regular season, who knows. But it's exciting as a Saints fan considering what we witnessed last season.

I'm not around as much anymore - just wanna say good luck and the customary wish for no injuries.

We've had really inspired play from Cam Jordan, Akiem Hicks, Tyrunn Walker, and Glenn Foster. Relative unknowns, aside from Jordan. They have looked amazing in camp and in games, generating pressure from just the front 3. How long that lasts and how legitimate re: regular season, who knows. But it's exciting as a Saints fan considering what we witnessed last season.

Hicks is a guy that I wanted...Glad to hear he's doing well...

Hicks is a guy that I wanted...Glad to hear he's doing well...

he's been terrific

he was stout last year, raw as he was.

A couple of Saints beat writers have said that while Jordan is our best defensive player, Hicks has the biggest upside. He really made veterans look foolish last year. He's improved and I'm excited to see how he makes the transition from tackle to end.

Oh, and Jenkins, a DL rookie along with Foster (UDFA), has been giving OL fits, eating up double teams and generating backfield pressure.

The defensive front has me as excited about the Saints DL as I've seen in a while.

A real test this weekend, though.

We'll see. Reasons for optimism, though. And that's a welcome change to the mess last year

Expect more pressure on Schaub.

Nothing he won't do

[Rob] Ryan's current and former players, his coaching colleagues and scouting analysts from around the league all are in agreement that his scheme's most recognizable tendency is that he doesn't have a recognizable tendency.

There's no simple formula he has relied on throughout his 16 years in the NFL and 11 years in the college ranks.

"I think first of all, it's very multiple," Saints safety Jim Leonhard said. "It's not a system where it's, 'This is who we are, this is all we do,' like a Tampa 2 kind of system. He's very flexible."

"A lot of different variations," Saints guard Ben Grubbs said.

Payton said preparing to face Ryan's defenses always required the Saints' offense to spend extra time going over multiple looks in walk-through sessions during the practice week.

"A lot of time and detail in covering how you handle each defensive look," Payton said. "Typically, he will do a good job of trying to take away what he thinks you do well. And (you need to understand) that he's going to pay attention to who is going to get the ball on third down, where you go in the red zone, what type of runs you want to run. And you just need to self-scout and make sure there are no heavy tendencies."

We've already seen that multiplicity from Ryan's defense throughout this summer.

He often uses four safeties on the field at once in his nickel and dime packages -- sometimes removing the defensive tackle and an inside linebacker, but other times replacing an end or outside linebacker.

It's not uncommon to see just one lineman on the field, with his hand on the ground, or none at all.

A stat by the Football Outsiders scouting service illustrates Ryan's elusive tendencies.

Although he's known as an aggressive, attacking blitzer (his Browns led the NFL in rushing five players or more in 2010), Ryan's defenses have also ranked first or second in the NFL in sending only three rushers or less at the quarterback in each of the past three years.

"He'll rush three and drop eight a lot," Fujita said. "But the way that you're rushing, three might even look like a blitz."

"Ryan might have the widest array of schematic wrinkles in all of football," said Andy Benoit, who analyzes the NFL for the Football Outsiders scouting service and Sports Illustrated, among other outlets. "Really there's nothing he won't do."

1) Our secondary needs to step up. I've been underwhelmed with JJo and Manning this year
2) Right side of the offensive line
3) OLB play needs to step up with Antonio out.
4) Differentiation in the RB play. So far I don't see much difference between Tate and the rest. This is a team that plays 3 RBs through the season, but maybe not in the same game. Foster and Tate are on the team, so who's going to be the clear #3
5) A kick return that goes beyond the 20. Have we had one yet?

I would imagine the starters will play most of the 1st half. So I'm interested in everything all of them do. It will say a lot about how we are prepared for the season.

In particular I am interested in how the D responds to the Saints offense, which is a good one and a damn fine QB.

I want to see Schaub and the O line perform very well. Any sloppiness on their part is going to result in multiple pissy posts by me. LOL

+1. You rang the bell with that one, especially Schaub.
wrhammer.gif

The defensive front has me as excited about the Saints DL as I've seen in a while.

A real test this weekend, though.

Don't put too much stock in what you see this weekend. We've yet to see the OL play we've gotten accustomed to.

We're sure Duane Brown, Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks, & Derek Newton will be starters... not sure what's going on at LG yet.

Newton doesn't look ready to play, don't know what he's doing out there. IMO Brooks hadn't "meshed" yet with Myers & Newton (& Newton's injury may be part of that)..... & my man DB76... it's as if he knows these games don't count & he hasn't got "that" focus yet.

Pass pro has been... meh & run blocking hasn't been any better. Your guys will probably look like monsters, pro bowlers all around, but you should take it with a grain of salt.

Unless you see us man handling you. If this bunch of guys are manhandling your DL Sunday, you've got serious, serious issues.

I know it sounds wierd, but I want to see Schaubs mobility.

Yeah I know... he's not going all Vick on us, but I would like him to show SOME movement on the pocket or on play actions, just enough to indicate that on a good day, with the Wind in his back, going downhill, he would be able to run the bal for 3-4 yards.

Other than that, OL & ST... and no injuries :)

Yeah I know... he's not going all Vick on us, but I would like him to show SOME movement on the pocket or on play actions, just enough to indicate that on a good day, with the Wind in his back, going downhill, he would be able to run the bal for 3-4 yards.

I think Matt's mobility today is irrelevant & has no bearing on what we really want to know.

We know his mobility through the first twelve games was good enough to perform like we expected him to. Regardless how "mobile" Matt is today, we don't know how that will hold up as the season goes on. Can he be "Matt" through 16 games? 12 games? 10 games? 8?

I think Matt's mobility today is irrelevant & has no bearing on what we really want to know.

We know his mobility through the first twelve games was good enough to perform like we expected him to. Regardless how "mobile" Matt is today, we don't know how that will hold up as the season goes on. Can he be "Matt" through 16 games? 12 games? 10 games? 8?

And that goes for any position and every player...

Last pre-season game:

(4:33) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 18-L.Jean to MIA 15 for 19 yards (56-J.Freeny).

He dropped back and then left the pocket to his right and made the throw on the run. If he hadn't been looking downfield, he could have run and gotten several yards.

There's really nothing I'm looking for from Matt. I pretty much have a good idea what he brings to the table for a chunk of the season. Matt just needs to stay healthy and get his mind right.

Just what if the 2010 2-minute Matt Schaub comes back?

Yeah, I know, I should stop drinking the :koolaid:, but still. What if?

JJ Watt wants to play QB now...
BSiLdvGCUAA1ozM.jpg

Little preview video to get your juices flowing: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...t-Texans/4a7bd14e-340b-4491-8ab3-7a5cdea0a622

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Ben Jones starts for Wade Smith. Lestar Jean starts for Hopkins. Ben Tate starts for Arian Foster. #TexansTalk

Willie Jefferson will start for Mercilus. Jared Crick and Tim Jamison are the starting defensive ends for Watt and Smith. #TexansTalk

Hopkins, Posey, Bonner, Reed, Pleasant, Mercilus, Hunter, W. Smith and A. Smith are out for #Texans.

Last edited:

some movement....that's all you'll ever see.

Honestly,

How hard is it not to block in the back? I mean really.
If you're going to do it, don't do it right in front of the
returner _AND_ the ref..

TJ

Back