Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2014   #1
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 5803 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Preview thread, Arizona preseason

This looks like a pick-'em. So, looking on the bright side, Texans by 1.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Preview thread, Arizona preseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
This looks like a pick-'em. So, looking on the bright side, Texans by 1.
It's a pre-season game. Scores don't matter. All that matters is that the coaches teach the players whatever it is they want to teach them and everyone gets out uninjured.

Cam Newton looked terrible in the preseason of his rookie year, then came out and threw for over 400 yards in his first real game. The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and then lost every game during the regular season. The Patriots once lost every game of the preseason and went on to win the Super Bowl. EDIT: I take it back, they went 1-3. I think someone has gone 0-4 and won the SB but I don't recall who.

So looking at stats or scores of preseason games is a waste of time. You watch the game and you try to figure out who's looking good for your team and who's looking bad but in the end, you don't know what it is you're looking at or looking for unless you're on the staff.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 08-05-2014 at 01:35 AM.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #3
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5006 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Keenum shows some improvement over last season. I have put my entire season's hope on him becoming the starter and doing an above average job to keep the Texans competitive. A better O-line, a healthy foster, and hopefully a better defense. It honestly can't get worse than last season.
Old 08-04-2014   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

don't expect to see much but it is Texans football.
Old 08-05-2014   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Other than it's a new coach and a new system, I think this game will follow the pattern that most all 1st pre-season games do. So I predict the first team offense will probably be out there for a lot of the 1st quarter before Keenum and the backups take over. They'll use the starters on defense sparingly. You won't see a whole lot of the big defensive names this game, unless Nix and Clowney get healthy real quick.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #6
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Will have to catch it on DVR, but I'm still excited to see the texans in a real game....kind of...
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Half our team will likely be sitting due to injury, so I'm not going to expect a lot.

I think I'll focus a lot on the Oline this game. Obviously the defense too
Old 08-05-2014   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

OL, WR, DB, LB is what I'm most interested in seeing.

It'll also be interesting to see how much scheme we'll be able to infer, based on the vanilla we're likely to see on both sides of the ball.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #9
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 5803 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
I hope Keenum shows some improvement over last season. I have put my entire season's hope on him becoming the starter and doing an above average job to keep the Texans competitive. A better O-line, a healthy foster, and hopefully a better defense. It honestly can't get worse than last season.
I hate to dash your hopes, Bob, but Keenum has already proven that he isn't the answer. If our punter or somebody playing another position can serve as emergency QB, then in that case Keenum won't last until the regular season.

Preseason games are mostly to teach and evaluate, but you win them if you can. MIami once had a perfect preseason, regular season, and playoff record. Does anybody know of another team doing that?
Old 08-05-2014   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
I hope Keenum shows some improvement over last season.
Keenum looked pretty good last preseason, he made a lot of plays. However, I think that's his biggest problem. Kubiak wasn't going to go for that. He's got a system, everybody has a job to do & if one person goes off book, it makes it difficult for the other guys to do their job properly.

I liked that about Kubiak.

But there's got to come a time when you do what you gotta do to win & I think Kubiak was just to stubborn to acknowledge that. He'd done lost his starting TE, RB, he had a patchwork OL, & he benched his starting QB.

Anyway, if I'm OB my goal is to find the guy that runs the system & the offense closest to the way it's supposed to be run, then assess my teams ability to win the next game with that QB. If I have no faith in him, to run my system, regardless how well he runs my system, then I'm going to plan B. Find a way to win with what I've got.
Old 08-05-2014   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Preseason games are mostly to teach and evaluate, but you win them if you can. MIami once had a perfect preseason, regular season, and playoff record. Does anybody know of another team doing that?
Not even the 1972 Dolphins did that.

They went 3-3 in their preseason before going 14-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the postseason.

The closest anyone's come since then were the 2007 Patriots who went 16-0 in the regular season and 2-1 in the postseason; their preseason record was 2-2.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
EDIT: I take it back, they went 1-3. I think someone has gone 0-4 and won the SB but I don't recall who.
i want to say that was the colts.

in this first game i'm going to be looking at the trenches. defense is usually at an advantage early so i'm especially going to watch clowney and mercilus. after them i want to see the young guys who will spend time with the 1's - XSF, fido, and the young linebackers.
Old 08-05-2014   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cardinals -2.5, O/U 37.5

Bet the farm!
Old 08-05-2014   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Cardinals -2.5, O/U 37.5

Bet the farm!
Lechler will have a tired leg or our QBs will throw a bunch of INTs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
Defense: J. Watt, J. Powe, J. Crick, B. Reed, J. Tuggle, J. Tarpinian, J. Clowney, K. Jackson, J. Joseph, D. Swearinger, K. Lewis. #Texans

Offense: D. Hopkins, D. Brown, B. Jones, C. Myers, A. Kupper, D. Newton, G. Graham, A. Johnson, R. Fitzpatrick, J. Prosch, A. Foster.

Take it for what it's worth, but here's #Texans' unofficial depth chart heading into first preseason game:

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
#Texans have 2 rookies listed as starters on their depth chart for Arizona. Jadeveon Clowney and FB Jay Prosch. both have missed practice
Dave Zangaro @DZangaro
Quote:
Really, though. Blue listed behind Dennis Johnson is reason enough to be skeptical of everything on the unofficial depth chart. #Texans

Tuggle and Tarpinian are the two inside 'backers with Mohamed, Bullough as backups. (Cush still on PUP). #Texans

They have Alfred Blue behind Dennis Johnson. #Texans #NotBuyingIt

Aso interesting that Mike Thomas is listed as first team KR and PR. Keshawn Martin is backup at both. #Texans

Interesting that Cowney is listed as the starting JACK ahead of Whitney Mercilus. Just surprising that they have it listed that way.
PDS @PatDStat
Quote:
Only two rookies are with the #Texans 1st team. Jay Prosch and Jadeveon Clowney.

Any other UDFA at this point is where they are bc of injury, Ankrah is the exception. #Texans

Jason Ankrah is the one UDFA that has made the most of his opportunity. Sitting at 2nd team Sam LB. #Texans #Nebraska

Whitney Mercilus as 2nd team Jack LB is probably the biggest surprise IMO. #Texans

Mike Thomas listed as #Texans PR/KR with Martin behind him.

Texans LBs 1st team
Jack: Clowney
Mike: Tuggle
Will: Tarpinian
Sam: Reed

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-05-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #16
Seegara
Veteran

Here are some jewels who may be on the bubble but who I think will be valuable assets if given time to develop: Alec Lemon, Joe Adams, Mike Thomas, Jonathan Grimes, Chris Boswell
Old 08-05-2014   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here are some jewels who may be on the bubble but who I think will be valuable assets if given time to develop: Alec Lemon, Joe Adams, Mike Thomas, Jonathan Grimes, Chris Boswell
Haven't heard Lemon mentioned much this PS, unlike Thomas and Nwachukwu. Heck, I think I've seen Labhart mentioned more. Pretty quiet for Lemon. Heard a bit about Adams, most of it OK.

I doubt BO'B goes with a UDFA at PK if the competition is even close to even, but I will definitely defer to the coaching staff's opinion if they do.

I think Blue will definitely make the team and the other RB is spot is between Brown and Grimes. I think injury to one of those guys is the only way Johnson makes the team.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #18
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans · 2m
Just a reminder, If the Texans win this weekend, you get a FREE 20 oz Texans slush at #Sonic.

Details HERE: http://bit.ly/17ClS5j
Man wonder what they taste like now?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Man wonder what they taste like now?
Been that long, huh?
Old 08-07-2014   #20
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Been that long, huh?
326 days since our last win
324 days since our last free slush

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read