Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2013   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Positives and negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Somebody reminds me what channel was the game on last night on local Houston TV?
Why I asked?

I got a torrent of the game from the Miami feed and it says CBS Miami.
It was in HD, and the video quality is superb.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
abc13 ktrk
ABC sucks, LOL!
Old 08-18-2013   #63
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Keenum just gives you more options on what to do on the field, he's mobile and when he goes thru his reads and progression is amazing, doesn't panic at all and just steps into the pocket to make the throws. He impressed me a lot more last night, I would love to see how he would do with the 1st team offense as well.
Quote:
Only thing that worries me is his height since I'm always seeing him jumping at times to make throws, and part of me wondered if he was taller would the ball that had gotten batted down at the line had a chance to hit the WR.
We can't be having to many of those going on. One last thing, that 4th and 2 TD pass, that took balls to just lob it into the end zone! Idk if that what Kubes told him to do, or he just saw him open an said screw the 1st down, I'm going for the TD.
I thought we put to sleep the "short" jokes. Did everyone miss the batted down passes by Yates (6'4") LAST game and THIS game..............maybe it would become more appropriate to start with the "tall" jokes.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-18-2013   #65
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm not seeing our two 3rd rounders or our 4th rounder on the opening day roster.
We haven't seen much from them. But, it's difficult for an organization to give up on a player this early. I see IR thri real or phantom injuries in their future.
Quote:
Too many penalties...
  • PENALTY on HST-G.Graham, Offensive Pass Interference
I agree with your point. But this penalty was completely bogus.
Old 08-18-2013   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
First contact in a while. Cushing was getting knocked around too. They both need to get their feet under them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
He got pancaked on his first play back lol, welcome back Cushing.
I posted during the game how Cushing was being pushed around. He did not show good lateral movement, let alone explosiveness. He has apparently lost weight to theoretically facilitate his rehab. But this also effects all facets of play, especially with an ILB whose bulk is important and was a hallmark of Cushing's build when he was at his peak. This is his second knee surgery, remember the patella tendon repair and knee arthroscopy of 2011 (on his other knee). People have posted on his miraculous recovery following his ACL, pointing to such superhuman feats like sitting box seat jumps, pulling tires, jumping off tall buildings in a single bound........... This tells us very little about performance with live bullets and when fast-moving locomotives are the targets that need to be taken care of. I cautioned people to not expect the isolated case of supernatural recovery seen in Peterson as a gauge of what to expect from Cushing. Yes, no doubt newer approaches to ACL (and other injury) rehab techniques (not necessarily surgical techniques) have accounted for improved and somewhat shortened return to play times. But, healing of tissue still basically has finite minimum times to fully heal. And after that, the player must take advantage of return to play time to continue to build the strength to their unique skills before they have any real time where they can anywhere close to approach their pre-injury level of play...........under the most ideal circumstances, typically only to 80%. If Cushing is destined to return to a semblance of what Cushing we would recognize, it is unlikely to occur prior to 1 year to 2 years post his October 25, 2012 surgery . Anything before that must be considered "gravy." Anything after that, it's "What you see is what you get." Whatever Cushing CAN regain, what we DO know is that he will leave no stone unturned making every effort towards that goal.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #67
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I've just finished watching most of the replay.

Positives:
1) Matt Schaub looked the worst of all the QBs we put on the field, that is great news. In terms of the back-up competition- I still think Yates has the edge, but Keenum looked solid with the 2s. I wouldn't mind if he won out after the last two games.

2) Hopkins' injury wasn't serious and he showed once again that he can play ball. Between Hopkins and the progression of Jean, I feel pretty good about where we are at WR. I'm hoping that there is room for Lemon on the roster, he worked the sideline very well and created separation with the coverage.

3) Ed who? DJ Swearinger looks fantastic and has everything that you'd want in a safety; confidence and a sense for the ball. If Ed Reed isn't ready, then oh well.

4) Seeing Cushing on the field is always awesome, but....

Negatives:

1) TACKLING.... Did I really see Ryan effing Tannehill shake a tackle from Brian Cushing in the pocket? Not acceptable. In general, our tackling has been terrible this preseason...probably because we don't practice it.

2) Special Teams are still meh at best. I'm fairly convinced that Marciano has out of context pictures of Kubiak and Rick Smith with their shirts off. Bullock was a bright spot, KOs (seperate from KO coverage) should be fine.
Old 08-18-2013   #68
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I posted during the game how Cushing was being pushed around. He did not show good lateral movement, let alone explosiveness. He has apparently lost weight to theoretically facilitate his rehab. But this also effects all facets of play, especially with an ILB whose bulk is important and was a hallmark of Cushing's build when he was at his peak. This is his second knee surgery, remember the patella tendon repair and knee arthroscopy of 2011 (on his other knee). People have posted on his miraculous recovery following his ACL, pointing to such superhuman feats like sitting box seat jumps, pulling tires, jumping off tall buildings in a single bound........... This tells us very little about performance with live bullets and when fast-moving locomotives are the targets that need to be taken care of. I cautioned people to not expect the isolated case of supernatural recovery seen in Peterson as a gauge of what to expect from Cushing. Yes, no doubt newer approaches to ACL (and other injury) rehab techniques (not necessarily surgical techniques) have accounted for improved and somewhat shortened return to play times. But, healing of tissue still basically has finite minimum times to fully heal. And after that, the player must take advantage of return to play time to continue to build the strength to their unique skills before they have any real time where they can anywhere close to approach their pre-injury level of play...........under the most ideal circumstances, typically only to 80%. If Cushing is destined to return to a semblance of what Cushing we would recognize, it is unlikely to occur prior to 1 year to 2 years post his October 25, 2012 surgery . Anything before that must be considered "gravy." Anything after that, it's "What you see is what you get." Whatever Cushing CAN regain, what we DO know is that he will leave no stone unturned making every effort towards that goal.
Watched the rebroadcast of the game today on NFLNet and frankly I've got to agree with your assessment here, i.e., generally speaking Cushing looked to be a shell of his former self. He did make that one play behind the los, otherwise did not see the same guy I remember pre-Oct, '12. Guess we will all just have to be patient and hope for the best.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Lestar Jean 8 for 109 yds two TDs

Yates priming the pump so we can trade him next off season (or 2013 if good offer)

Keenum keeps getting better & could make me rethink going for Fales 2014 draft.

Q doing exactly what I thought at LG. Keep Brooks at RG & Jones to back up center. I see lots of new cap space in next two years that could go to our FAs.

Jefferson may force a 2012 vet out of a job.

Bouye may replace Carmichael & I'm stunned by Roc's poor play.

NT looking sweeter than I ever imagined. Chris Jones over Browner and Hunter DT

Swearinger replaces Reed 2014 & may have to draft S high.

Graham looks like he could replace OD in '14 saving almost $3m

Concerns: Hopkins strike one & should remind all players one play away from end/career
Newton rusty or pushing return too son?

ILB: Mays needs to get better quickly. Reminds me of James (learning the system). Cush still worries me. Love the player but he has to produce this last contract year. Hope he is not Barwin redux. Gardner has not made the improvement I had hoped for.

Hopes: Posey is not rushed back.
An ILB is cut by final P game or Mike Mohamed is better than I thought.

Special note: Karim's Northwestern Pro Day.
He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds, which if not adjusted due to surface would have tied him for second among tailbacks at the Scouting Combine.

His vertical leap of 43 inches would have been first among all tailbacks, his broad jump of ten feet, three inches would have placed third, his 20-yard shuttle time of 4.05 seconds would have topped all tailbacks, his 6.67-second mark in the three-cone drill also would have been first, and his 19 reps in the 225-pound bench press would have been sixth among all tailbacks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ay-supposedly/
Old 08-19-2013   #70
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I've just finished watching most of the replay.

Positives:
1) Matt Schaub looked the worst of all the QBs we put on the field, that is great news. In terms of the back-up competition- I still think Yates has the edge, but Keenum looked solid with the 2s. I wouldn't mind if he won out after the last two games.

2) Hopkins' injury wasn't serious and he showed once again that he can play ball. Between Hopkins and the progression of Jean, I feel pretty good about where we are at WR. I'm hoping that there is room for Lemon on the roster, he worked the sideline very well and created separation with the coverage.

3) Ed who? DJ Swearinger looks fantastic and has everything that you'd want in a safety; confidence and a sense for the ball. If Ed Reed isn't ready, then oh well.

4) Seeing Cushing on the field is always awesome, but....

Negatives:

1) TACKLING.... Did I really see Ryan effing Tannehill shake a tackle from Brian Cushing in the pocket? Not acceptable. In general, our tackling has been terrible this preseason...probably because we don't practice it.

2) Special Teams are still meh at best. I'm fairly convinced that Marciano has out of context pictures of Kubiak and Rick Smith with their shirts off. Bullock was a bright spot, KOs (seperate from KO coverage) should be fine.
I have to disagree with a few things.

Schaub wasn't bad. And if he was, that wouldn't be a good thing. With two more years of guaranteed money, he's our unconditional starter.

Concussions are always serious. Especially one that causes a guy to stumble over his own feet.

When Cushing closed in on Tannehill, he illegally grabbed Tannehill's helmet. Cushing knew he had to release, or cost the team a penalty. It wasn't really a whiff.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #71
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

Schaub wasn't bad. And if he was, that wouldn't be a good thing. With two more years of guaranteed money, he's our unconditional starter.
All the guaranteed money for Schaub will be paid out and done with this year.

If the Texans decide to part way with him, they will have to incur $11.5M in dead money in 2014; however, they won't have to pay him the 2014 salary (and roster bonus) of $11M.
The net cap hit is 500K.

If he does bad, you can just let him go, or you can make him a backup QB in 2014.
If he does good, you can keep him through 2014 and take it from there.
Old 08-19-2013   #72
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All the guaranteed money for Schaub will be paid out and done with this year.

If the Texans decide to part way with him, they will have to incur $11.5M in dead money in 2014; however, they won't have to pay him the 2014 salary (and roster bonus) of $11M.
The net cap hit is 500K.

If he does bad, you can just let him go, or you can make him a backup QB in 2014.
If he does good, you can keep him through 2014 and take it from there.
If you're right, I like that situation a lot more.
Old 08-19-2013   #73
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Mohamed looks great. Would like to see him play next to Cushing a few series.

Why isn't Ray Graham getting more looks?
Old 08-19-2013   #74
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Positives:

QB Play: Mainly meaning Keenum and Yates. Schaub did alright but wasn't fond of that slow start that we sometimes saw last year. But it's preseason and he'll be fine. He'll get more snaps next game. Yates and Keenum though were both impressive and it's good to see these young guys developing.

WR's: They picked it up this game after silly drops the last game. Jean stepped up majorly to help push himself away from that roster bubble. Still interesting to see what will happen if Posey doesn't go on the PUP. Guessing we'll see a couple of practice squad additions since Bonner hasn't been able to see the field.

Cush: Good to see him back but really good to see him moving so fluently out there and getting after it. The energy is something everyone on that defense can feed off of.

Swearinger: Looked good out there in coverage and making hits which means he rebounded from so so work in this area last game. Like to see guys who can put it behind them and keep fighting.

Brandon Harris: The guy was solid in coverage and I honestly see him developing at this point unlike someone I reference below. He should be in a fight for the nickle with McCain who didn't look very good in coverage this game. Nice to have both though and have the options. Glad to see the kid finally taking a step forward unlike someone...

Negatives:

OL: Once again things look shaky. Two games in a row now Ben Jones is looking putrid at this point at LG. His run blocking was not up to par. I would say this is the second game Ques outplayed him though not by too much this game. Newton's footwork had him flat footed and he made me wonder if he is not fully recovered from the injury. He may need some time to get his legs under him but if he's on the field it's irrelevant. You have to produce if you play. Hopefully preseason time helps.

Pass Rush(Starters): Can someone other than Watt or Smith rush the QB? So far it looks like the third best rusher is Cushing who we need in coverage at times or our NT who are generally off the field in nickle/sub formations. Where are the OLB's? Really hope Mercilus has something or we may have to look at Jefferson/Braman or something to get a pass rush out there. If any wondered why the push to re-sign Smith this is why. He is the second best rusher easily at this point.

ILB(not named Cushing): There is nothing spectacular in this group for now. These guys are medicore at best and that may be generous. We need to build shrines, sacrifice chickens or something to make sure Cush doesn't get hurt because if he does...yikes.

Roc: After a solid camp he has had two bad games in a row. He looks too hesitant and you can't spare a split second out at corner if your name isn't Deion Sanders. At this point I am seeing him as a roster cut because despite great camp reports he fades away when the lights come on. He better do something fast.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #75
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Despite all the Case Keenum attention, and being a UH homer myself, Quessenberry is the guy I am most excited about this preseason. I think that guy has the ability to become the second best OL on the team at some point in the future. The OL has looked ragged so far, but really, that's because they're putting Ben Jones and Derek Newton out there. Both of them do fine for a while, but when they fail, they fail BIG. Newton getting turned around the other night was just embarrassing. He had his back to the defender. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, if Newton at that level of experience was the best succession plan the Texans had for the RT position, they failed.

Keenum made a couple throws that ought to shut up some of the ignorant crowd, but it won't, because they are who they are. He's looking comfortable running the offense, and as mentioned many times before, he doesn't rattle easily. I do love the way Yates responded, though. If the rest of the preseason continues like this, there will be three QBs on the 53-man.

Willie Jefferson just shows too much natural talent to let go, doesn't he? I mean, the guy is raw as heck, but he just keeps getting in the backfield. Even if he is a liability in the run game for now, they have to find a way to get him on the field as a situational pass rusher.

I'm less worried about Jared Crick now, and the inside line in general.

Hated it then, hate it now - should have spent the money on Glover Quin instead of Ed Reed. Glad they drafted DJ Swearinger, but he's still a rookie. Would much rather have Manning and Quin with DJS as first depth than speculating about Keo or Pleasant (not that I don't like Pleasant).
Old 08-19-2013   #76
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Concussions are always serious. Especially one that causes a guy to stumble over his own feet.

When Cushing closed in on Tannehill, he illegally grabbed Tannehill's helmet. Cushing knew he had to release, or cost the team a penalty. It wasn't really a whiff.

1) I didn't mean that to be a jab at Schaub as much as I meant for it to be a compliment to TJ/CK. Relative to what is expected of each of them, Schaub was out of sorts and both TJ and CK looked great. In no way do I want TJ/CK starting over Schaub, just to be clear (even though 76Texan makes a good point about the cap money).

2) Considering that a fall like that could have seriously injured his neck or shoulder, I would say that he (and the team) got very lucky.

3) I didn't catch that, I'll have to rewatch it and get back to you. Regardless, the tackling in general has been poor and needs work.
Old 08-19-2013   #77
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post

3) I didn't catch that, I'll have to rewatch it and get back to you. Regardless, the tackling in general has been poor and needs work.
I'll be worried if it still looks bad by the last pre-season game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Pass Rush(Starters): Can someone other than Watt or Smith rush the QB? So far it looks like the third best rusher is Cushing who we need in coverage at times or our NT who are generally off the field in nickle/sub formations. Where are the OLB's? Really hope Mercilus has something or we may have to look at Jefferson/Braman or something to get a pass rush out there. If any wondered why the push to re-sign Smith this is why. He is the second best rusher easily at this point.
Smith plays with a little more intensity in the pre-season than his peers. Remember last pre-season, he looked like he had elevated his pass rush game and mauled Drew Brees a couple of times, but regular season stats didn't reflect that much of an improvement. It'd be nice if I were wrong this year though.
Old 08-20-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Smith plays with a little more intensity in the pre-season than his peers. Remember last pre-season, he looked like he had elevated his pass rush game and mauled Drew Brees a couple of times, but regular season stats didn't reflect that much of an improvement. It'd be nice if I were wrong this year though.
Smith has had career years two years running. Unlike Watt Antonio plays a true interior pass rush position, consistently lined up as the 3 tech, inside the tackle, like a 4-3 DT.

Watt lines up primarily as a 4-3 DE, outside the tackle.

6 to 7 sacks is very good for a DT & like 1000 yards for a running back or 4000 yards for a QB, it is a respectable stat for an interior pass rusher, I'm pressive in back to back years.

If Smith has a third 6+ sack season in 2013 it would probably make him the most dominant inside pass rusher over that time span next to Jj Watt (since Jj does play on occasion from the inside).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-20-2013   #79
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd have to disagree with this. PFF alone has Smith ranked the 6th best 3-4 DE last year right under Justin Smith and the second pass rushing 3-4 defensive end under the obvious. He was second amongst that group in QB hurries as well. So he was getting a pass rush rather steady for where he is aligned in the defensive formation (as TK alluded to). He just didn't finish enough. None the less after Watt there was only Antonio by a generous margin generating a pass rush for us.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #80
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
My best friend in this world is a huuuuuge sAints fan and he keeps busting my balls on stats. I keep busting his on history, wins/losses (especially last year) and the history of the sAints. He's 63, so he's been there for ALL of that history. History is about the only thing on my side right now. It's rough.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read