Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dolphins preview + post camp wrap-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Texans_Chick has said that.

I don't think the size or practice squad eligibility arguments hold water. But the crux of her posts revolve around her opinion that Keenum isn't good. I think she has owned that.
TC did stress that she didn't think Case play well enough to keep on the roster.

But she also said that, and I quote
"Keenum is less than ideal size for NFL development".

While I agree that he doesn't have ideal size, I do think (and this is JMO) that he has enough talent to be given a chance to see whether he can be further developed. Whether his maximum potential is a backup or whatever, we can agree to disagree on.

I still do not say that Keenum has convinced me for certain that he can be a legit backup. However, based on his plays in last preseason and this last PS game, I'd like to see more of him in game situation to further the evaluation process.
Kubiak had promised us that Yates and Keenum should end up having roughly the same opportunity this preseason, and that's all I want.

And for those who may think that I'm bias, my posting record indicates that I'm in the corner of all the QBs that have ever put on a Texans uni, be it Rosenfels, Grossman, Brink, Orlovaky, Leinart, Yates, or Schaub.

You don't hear me lobbying much for Hunter, or whomever just because the guy went to UH. I was even surprised that Hunter got promoted to the 53-man roster last year.

I talked about how I don't like Kolb's holding on the ball too long; he ended up taking the equivalent number of sacks as Carr did.

At the very least, I try hard not to be bias because of school allegiance.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum is 6'0", Brees is 5'11.7", Wilson is 5'11 and all of that matters not one whit.

TJ Yates just finished his 3rd training camp and nobody is talking about TJ outshining Schaub. I don't think our next QB is on the roster yet.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Keenum is 6'0", Brees is 5'11.7", Wilson is 5'11 and all of that matters not one whit.

TJ Yates just finished his 3rd training camp and nobody is talking about TJ outshining Schaub. I don't think our next QB is on the roster yet.
I haven't written Yates off as a possible successor to Schaub.
I'd like to see him play some more. He did some good things the last game.
Old 08-17-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I haven't written Yates off as a possible successor to Schaub.
I'd like to see him play some more. He did some good things the last game.
But Keenum's a little short doncha think?
Old 08-17-2013   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #26
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's people like you that cause unrest...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #27
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm getting a little tired of the "too short" Group think people keep spouting as a negative for Case. He's 6-1/6-2. Russell Wilson is 5-11. Drew Brees is 6-0.

If you don't think Case can play, then step up and say THAT. But this "so-and so does not have NFL height" B/S needs to be put in the same garbage bin as "Blacks aren't smart enough to play QB or MLB" (VY not withstanding) or "women should stick to cooking shows and not cover sports". ALL are nonsense.
Just stop it.
/rant
Typical woman for ya....Always concerned about size....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2013   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Typical woman for ya....Always concerned about size....

Hey now there were guys (apparently a whole NFL's worth) who were hung up about how tall Keenum is ...or isn't. That isn't a woman thing. So no Doc (et. al.) my earlier mini-rant wasn't specifically directed at TC. Most of the Keenum detractors mentioned his lack of "typlical NFL QB height" as a minus.

Another was that Keenum is a "system QB". Excuse me, but EVERY player has been trained to operate within sommmebody's system.... pro-type system, QB option system, whatever UofH calls their offensive system, etc.... it's not about the system it's about having the brains, the heart, the drive, the arm...

uh oh... I'm ranting again aren't I?
Sorry, I'm done...
Old 08-18-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Hey now there were guys (apparently a whole NFL's worth) who were hung up about how tall Keenum is ...or isn't. That isn't a woman thing. So no Doc (et. al.) my earlier mini-rant wasn't specifically directed at TC. Most of the Keenum detractors mentioned his lack of "typlical NFL QB height" as a minus.

Another was that Keenum is a "system QB". Excuse me, but EVERY player has been trained to operate within sommmebody's system.... pro-type system, QB option system, whatever UofH calls their offensive system, etc.... it's not about the system it's about having the brains, the heart, the drive, the arm...

uh oh... I'm ranting again aren't I?
Sorry, I'm done...
I'm so glad that you and others who are not affiliated with UH come out (of the closet, LOL) to say these things so that I know for sure I wasn't biased about Keenum. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2013   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

bottom line is simple as far as the cynical eye on undersized guys. If you do not have the physical dimensions that most players have at your position you must prove your value, and you won't get much of a look if you get one at all. Keenum is lucky to get his look. Billy "white shoes" Johnson was a 15th round draft pick (yeah, the draft was that long back then) due to his lack of ideal size. Doug Flutie was told he couldn't play....Drew Brees was traded because the Bolts wanted "ideal" sized Phillip Rivers. Most of the cynicism is justified since MOST undersized players can't complete. When the rare undersized player gets some time to prove his worth and does, then most of the questions just disappear. Till then, I think the questions about his size are justified.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
bottom line is simple as far as the cynical eye on undersized guys. If you do not have the physical dimensions that most players have at your position you must prove your value, and you won't get much of a look if you get one at all. Keenum is lucky to get his look. Billy "white shoes" Johnson was a 15th round draft pick (yeah, the draft was that long back then) due to his lack of ideal size. Doug Flutie was told he couldn't play....Drew Brees was traded because the Bolts wanted "ideal" sized Phillip Rivers. Most of the cynicism is justified since MOST undersized players can't complete. When the rare undersized player gets some time to prove his worth and does, then most of the questions just disappear. Till then, I think the questions about his size are justified.
All questions are justified, and more than fair.

Writing a guy completely off due to his size isn't a good practice.
It's the easiest way to pass off talent.
Old 08-18-2013   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, but most people aren't going to care until he gets out there and starts to prove it...the Texans are not "writing a guy completely off" and the last time I checked the fans get no say in the staffing...so it's all good. He has played about as well as could be expected so far.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Writing a guy completely off due to his size isn't a good practice.
Now you're just making stuff up. No one completely wrote off Case. Saying he'll make it to the practice squad is far from writing him off.
Old 08-18-2013   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now you're just making stuff up. No one completely wrote off Case. Saying he'll make it to the practice squad is far from writing him off.
Yeah, Case deserves his spot on the PS with the other short players.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry, I will shut up now.
Old 08-19-2013   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
But saying "Keenum will never be an NFL QB" IS writing him off. And that HAS been said by more than one poster early on in this discussion.
Old 08-19-2013   #37
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Hey look another thread about the backup QB who cares battle..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I do think the backup QB position keeps the Texans up at night.
From what I've seen thus far, I think the Texans are in OK shape at backup QB. Whichever way they go. At least in relation to the other AFC contenders (Broncos, Pats, Ravens). No clown stuff thus far.

Not that any team can really survive over a long period without their starting QB, unless they happen to have a young star like Kaepernick holding the clipboard. But for 2 or 3 games without Schaub, I think the Texans offense could function much better than the 2011 season when Kubiak had to dumb down everything. These guys can run the offense and provide an element that Schaub doesn't possess and a defense would have to account for...escapability.
Old 08-19-2013   #39
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Deji Karim assessment; I also see him making the final roster.

OLB concerns me. I don't see anyone out there that strikes fear into the opponent.

Happy with NT. Mitchell and McClain have come out like gang busters! I'm really looking forward to see out starting front 3 line up. Hopefully they're able to create mismatches for our OLB.

As always, thanks for the great write up TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read