Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2013   #21
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jeff Maehl Traded to Eagles

If Maehl had any chance of making the team before Friday night, that opportunity has done left the station, so there's really no downside with this transaction other than it brings the realization that Wade Smith may be a lot more than "nicked up" as Kubiak likes to say.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #22
MidtownMikey
Rookie

Rep Power: 2083 MidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is we will find out soon that Wade Smith will miss 2 - 4 weeks (at least all of preseason, possibly even first week of regular season).

Menkin makes sense because he can step right in without too much of a learning curve and provide better competition than if they got someone with no experience at all with the team to play guard for the 3rd string (my guess is Ben Jones will start rest of preseason, Cody White (while I'm not a fan) will be the backup left guard).
MidtownMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Don't count out Quessenberry.
Old 08-13-2013   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This makes a lot of sense but... I was shocked when I saw it.

Maehl has never lived up to the hype or the reputation and he's got a chance with Chip Kelly that he doesn't have here.

Menkin? I don't think he's got any chance of making the team, either, unless Wade's going on IR.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #25
MidtownMikey
Rookie

Rep Power: 2083 MidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Don't count out Quessenberry.
I was thinking of Quessenberry as more of a swing tackle but you are right, they did use him at both left guard and left tackle the first game.

Cody White was tried both at center and left guard, and seemed more comfortable at guard than center but didn't excel at either.

I expect Quessenberry to make the final roster, especially for his versatility. Don't think Menkin affects that.
MidtownMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #26
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Not to get too far off into the weeds because it's just window dressing...BUT last time I looked the GM is responsible for all personnel and transactions.

Using your logic, Rick Smith should be drinking a mai tai in Maui right now.
Please dont use his logic, rarely does it ever make sense.
Old 08-13-2013   #27
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
The fact that Rick Smith was able to trade the likes of Jeff Maehl for anything more than a peanut butter sandwich should make him GM of the year.
I agree here. I like trading Maehl but why for an O-lineman when I think we've got bigger needs elsewhere on the team. I'm thinking O-line is a team strength with quality and depth, and we need help at OLB, ILB, and Safety.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Wade Smith may be a lot more than "nicked up" as Kubiak likes to say.
Kubiak isn't a doctor. He doesn't have xray vision & he can't see the future.

I'm sure he is telling us what he knows. After reading CnD's reports of the various injuries we've had, it sounds like the team doctors almost always treat as if the injury is a best case scenario only to find out later it's not. Sometimes they even send the players out too early & aggravate the situation.

Surely, if Kubiak knew it was a situation that would aggravate a condition, he wouldn't do it.

No, I think he's following bad advice from some otherwise well qualified doctors.
Old 08-13-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Menkin? I don't think he's got any chance of making the team, either, unless Wade's going on IR.
Well, Brennan Williams may go on IR & Menkin may beat out Cody White or Gardner.

The Texans liked what they saw in Menkin, they were trying to get him to the practice squad. They'll probably find a spot for him.
Old 08-13-2013   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's sort of interesting to note that Menkin suffered a rare blunt trauma throat cartilage fracture during a practice in December last year, and ended up on IR. This should not effect future performance unless the injury created enough scar tissue to create some airway obstruction, and a tendency to become "winded". This occurs in only ~5% of such injuries caused by sharp penetration (e.g., knife) vs. ~30% caused by blunt trauma (e.g., boxing).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #31
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a warm boddy to beat up in pre-season. My view is that Maehl knew he wasnt going to make this squad and Smith and Kubiak agreed to trade him to Philly where he might have a shot with Kelly. It really makes alot of sense for our team.

Like I said, we gave up a guy that wasnt going to make the team and would be taking away reps from the younger guys, and granted his request to join his old team. At the same time we got an OL that can come in and play ample time in these pre-season games while we are thin at interior line.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #32
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I was pulling for Jeff Maehl. I turned him into a Star in Madden 12 Franchise Mode. He never dropped a ball.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I'm sure he is telling us what he knows. After reading CnD's reports of the various injuries we've had, it sounds like the team doctors almost always treat as if the injury is a best case scenario only to find out later it's not. Sometimes they even send the players out too early & aggravate the situation.

Surely, if Kubiak knew it was a situation that would aggravate a condition, he wouldn't do it.

No, I think he's following bad advice from some otherwise well qualified doctors.
I think Wade Smith is headed for the IR, and I think Kubiak knows it. We have seen this pattern before.
Old 08-13-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I was just thinking how I'm telling y'all to trust what Kubiak says in these situations, but when it comes to the QB competition, he can't be trusted.

I can now understand the perception some of you have about my opinions & the things I say here. To that end, I'm going to have to change my stance.

You guys are right. You can't trust a word Kubiak says. IT's all coach speak.

Old 08-13-2013   #35
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

If Maehl goes on to have success with the Eagles. e.g Jacoby with the Ravens, it might be time to visit Larry Kirksey.

All the receivers we draft can't be that bad, Posey, Martin, Jean etc, etc.

Name one of Kirkseys success stories.

He can join Joe Marciano on his next team.

Old 08-13-2013   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
If Maehl goes on to have success with the Eagles. e.g Jacoby with the Ravens, it might be time to visit Larry Kirksey.

hmmmm.... now is it Kirksey's "poor coaching" or how they've been used in this offense?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think Wade Smith is headed for the IR, and I think Kubiak knows it. We have seen this pattern before.
How does the Injury Settlement thing works, anybody knows?
With his age, I think they will let him go is that knee doesn't respond well.
He's been playing on bad knees for at least a year now.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I said the same thing a year ago when all the "fire Joe" stuff started. We have not developed 1 WR since Kubiak & his crew came in here. & that's not going to help us achieve the long term success that we want.

We've got to make some lemonade at the WR position, at the RB position (done), on the OL (done), at the TE position (done), on the DL (maybe done), at CB (McCain??), at Safety (Quin??).....

They can't all be blue chips, we've got to get something out of these lesser players.

Then I got to thinking about Jacoby... he's been a better WR for us than he was for Baltimore & things aren't looking as good as I'd hope for him (yup, I'm still pulling for the kid). Then I look at Walter..... could anyone have gotten what we got out of him for as long as we got it?

Posey came along nice... about what I expected with his football status the previous year.

LeStar.... I think he'll be one of the better 3/4 receivers in the league.

Martin... I think he can be a really good 3/slot receiver.

I think our cautious approach to games last year & our trying to force them into the #2WR position didn't help how we perceive them. I'd have used Walter as a flex TE, put him on the field as often as possible with Andre, OD, & LeStar.. I'd have brought Keyshawn in & used Walter as a second TE. I'd have brought Graham in & used Walter as a 4th WR.

But this ain't Madden so who knows.
Old 08-13-2013   #39
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jacoby Jones actually did better as a WR his last three years as a Texan than he did last year with the Ravens.

2009 he had 27 receptions for 437 yards
2010 he had 51 receptions for 562 yards
2011 he had 31 receptions for 512 yards

2012 he had 30 receptions for 406 yards
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #40
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Jacoby Jones actually did better as a WR his last three years as a Texan than he did last year with the Ravens.

2009 he had 27 receptions for 437 yards
2010 he had 51 receptions for 562 yards
2011 he had 31 receptions for 512 yards

2012 he had 30 receptions for 406 yards
Clearly John Harbaugh needs to fire his receivers coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read