Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2013   #1
avb
Rookie

Default Was Deandre Hopkins' TD reception an incomplete pass?

Deandre Hopkins made a heck of a catch, and everyone knows he made a clean grab. But the defender knocked the ball out of his hands while he was still on the ground before he could get up. Does the Calvin Johnson rule apply here if it was a real game? Since it was preseason the outcome didn't matter but at least we were able to see his talents.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. This is my first time to the forum in many months. Go Texans!
avb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Was Deandre Hopkins' TD reception an incomplete pass?

Ball was knocked out after he had already caught the ball, and maintained possession through the fall.

TD.

Calvin Johnson put the ball on the ground which could be see as using the ground to secure possession. Not the same thing.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I considered this question right after the catch. I say catch with plays like this because DH caught the ball in the field of play and took across goal line. CJ play and others where they must maintain ball throughout catch and to the ground start and end already in the end zone.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #4
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a catch, He secured the ball in the air, stepped into the Endzone, fell, and THEN the was knocked lose. Had he caught it, and the ball was knocked loose as he was falling to the ground or got loose as he landed then he failed to control the ball and he didn't "complete" the catch so it would've been ruled as incomplete. At least that's how I see its someone correct me if I'm wrong...
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

No...
Old 08-12-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #7
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

In the gif you can see DH securing the ball with his right hand then attempts to hold the ball up to show that he caught the ball. He switched the ball from his right to left hand.
Old 08-13-2013   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I could very easily be wrong here but I thought that if he caught the ball before crossing the line of scrimmage then all he needed to do at that point was break the plane and it was a TD. That's opposed to a WR going up into the air in the end zone to catch the ball. Then wouldn't he be under more scrutiny as far as maintaining possession all the way through the play.
Old 08-13-2013   #9
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121752 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

He has to control the ball all the way to the ground. He did this. In the gif it gets knocked out of his hand by the DB well after he's on the ground. TD
Old 08-13-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I could very easily be wrong here but I thought that if he caught the ball before crossing the line of scrimmage then all he needed to do at that point was break the plane and it was a TD. That's opposed to a WR going up into the air in the end zone to catch the ball. Then wouldn't he be under more scrutiny as far as maintaining possession all the way through the play.
I had the same thought .... HE's already caught the ball , once he crosses the goal line the play is over.

Remember the "non-fumble" on the QB sneak by HWWNBM a few years back , he stuck the ball across the goal line - play is over.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #11
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121752 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I had the same thought .... HE's already caught the ball , once he crosses the goal line the play is over.

Remember the "non-fumble" on the QB sneak by HWWNBM a few years back , he stuck the ball across the goal line - play is over.
I think it's different for a catch. Remember Jean's catch in the 2012 opener against Miami? It was called a TD on the field but it was overturned because he didn't control the ball all the way to the ground, even though he went over the goal line with it.

In this case, Hopkins did, and only after that did the DB knock the ball out of his hands as he was trying to raise it up.
Old 08-13-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
In the gif you can see DH securing the ball with his right hand then attempts to hold the ball up to show that he caught the ball. He switched the ball from his right to left hand.
The important thing is that he had possession before going into the endzone.

Once he crosses that line, it doesn't matter what happens.
Old 08-13-2013   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I was more concerned with the ref calling offensive PI when DH used his left hand on the CB's shoulder pad to help elevate himself. I think he got away with that part because he didn't redirect the CB but I'm not sure. There's not enough consistency on PI calls across the league for me to get a good handle on what is or isn't PI.
Old 08-13-2013   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

As soon as he crossed the plane of the endzone with possession, the play was over.

Calvin Johnson play was different in that he caught the ball in the endzone and needed to secure it. He caught it and put it on the ground; nullifying his catch.

Arian Foster was screwed out of a rushing touchdown once due to this rule being incorrectly enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

To me the catch rules are a little fuzzy. I don't think that's a catch simply because he crossed the goal line. I think he had to maintain possession through the fall. If he were making a catch on the sideline going out of bounds he'd have to maintain possession through the fall as well.

I think that's why the ref waited until he went to the ground to make the call.

If all you had to do was have possession as you crossed the goal line that would mean you could catch the ball in the air, cross the GL fall down and immediately lose the ball or even lose it before hitting the ground and it'd still be a TD. But I don't think that's the case.
Old 08-13-2013   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I was more concerned with the ref calling offensive PI when DH used his left hand on the CB's shoulder pad to help elevate himself. I think he got away with that part because he didn't redirect the CB but I'm not sure. There's not enough consistency on PI calls across the league for me to get a good handle on what is or isn't PI.
I was sure that they were going to call PI. But they didn't. As one of the announcers mentioned, it appeared that Deandre's back blocked the ref from "appreciating" his hand on the defender. Deandre got away with one.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
To me the catch rules are a little fuzzy. I don't think that's a catch simply because he crossed the goal line. I think he had to maintain possession through the fall. If he were making a catch on the sideline going out of bounds he'd have to maintain possession through the fall as well.

If all you had to do was have possession as you crossed the goal line that would mean you could catch the ball in the air, cross the GL fall down and immediately lose the ball or even lose it before hitting the ground and it'd still be a TD. But I don't think that's the case.
The rules are different for catching the ball in the endzone compared to running into the endzone.

In Nuk's case, the catch was established and he made a football move meaning he was now a runner, not a reciever. Once the ball breaks the plane, the play is over.

The example you used happened all the time. WR catches the ball, put's ball out towards pylon, gets popped and drops the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

It's not a catch if his feet aren't on the ground. So if he's in the air, catches the ball, cross the goal line.... he's got to establish himself in the field of play, get two feet down, maintain possession all the way to the ground.

If he catches the ball & his knee comes down on the goal line.... that's a catch. nothing after matters & that's what happened.

But the ref did wait, so you're probably more right than me.
Old 08-13-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
The rules are different for catching the ball in the endzone compared to running into the endzone.

In Nuk's case, the catch was established and he made a football move meaning he was now a runner, not a reciever. Once the ball breaks the plane, the play is over.

The example you used happened all the time. WR catches the ball, put's ball out towards pylon, gets popped and drops the ball.
He didn't make a football move. He caught the ball, took two stumbling steps and fell.

And you misunderstood my example. I'm talking about catching the ball in the air like Hopkins did but not getting a foot down. Crossing the GL in the air.

Because he was going to the ground he needed to keep possession. Goal line or no goal line. Doesn't matter where you are, you have to complete the catch.
Old 08-13-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Here's the official rule

Quote:
PLAYER POSSESSION
Article 7
Item 1: Player in Possession.
A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds.
CATCH
A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 8-1-3).

Note 1:
It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the ball has touched the ground.

Note 2:
In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, and there is contact by a defender causing the ball to come loose before the runner is down by contact, it is a fumble, and the ball remains alive. In the end zone, the same action is a touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch beyond the goal line prior to the loss of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read