Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2013   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Vikings game review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
If Roc don't tighten up pretty quickly I'd be looking at him to be gone.
Isn't he fairly good on special teams? Usually one of the first players down there to keep the ball out of the endzone.

I'd cut him too, this is really a backwards swipe at another player.
Old 08-13-2013   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed we got TWO turnovers in the first qtr - BOTH @ MIDFIELD - and only harvested 3 points from them both??

Apparently everyone is cool with that because I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

or too busy arguing Yates v. Keenum to remember that little fact...

...just asking...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #23
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed we got TWO turnovers -at MIDFIELD - and only harvested 3 points from them both??

Apparently everyone is cool with that because I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

...just asking...
Well we didnt have foster, O.D, AJ prob our 3 biggest threats outside of newly aquired Hopkins and Tate. So not to concerned.
Old 08-13-2013   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed we got TWO turnovers in the first qtr - BOTH @ MIDFIELD - and only harvested 3 points from them both??

...just asking...
I would've been disappointed if the Texans opened up their playbook to get TD's in the 1st preseason game. Too important to see what kind of grasp players have on the basic O.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well.... now that you mentioned it.

No, I'm not too worried about it, at the same time I'm not "cool" with that. There were a lot of problems on offense that needs to be addressed. Not all of them related to Tj.

I was more upset with the way the Vikings scored. We gave them that one TD (the Swearinger missed tackle, that turned into a Pleasant missed tackle, that turned into a Roc Carmichael WTF am I supposed to do). Then the special teams penalty...

& while I'm happy for Keo, that "being in the right place at the right time" is not the same as "damn good defense" I'll take it, but Patterson was wide open.

Then the INT to Pleasant. Great job by the boys up front. A sane QB with time to work never would have tried that throw.
Old 08-13-2013   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well.... now that you mentioned it.

No, I'm not too worried about it, at the same time I'm not "cool" with that. There were a lot of problems on offense that needs to be addressed. Not all of them related to Tj.

I was more upset with the way the Vikings scored. We gave them that one TD (the Swearinger missed tackle, that turned into a Pleasant missed tackle, that turned into a Roc Carmichael WTF am I supposed to do). Then the special teams penalty...

& while I'm happy for Keo, that "being in the right place at the right time" is not the same as "damn good defense" I'll take it, but Patterson was wide open.

Then the INT to Pleasant. Great job by the boys up front. A sane QB with time to work never would have tried that throw.
Plain old vanilla is the order of the day for PS games. Get a little funky in game 3 just to see how the starters are grasping the advanced stuff, but other than that, just go vanilla. Add some whipped cream if you must, but hold off on the nuts, caramel and butterscotch til the real games begin.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was that the one he threw across his body (running to his right) at LeStar's feet?

It would have been much better to throw it in the stands, he was well outside the pocket.
Case probably had thought of trying to make a play, but decided against it at the last moment and threw the ball to the ground rather than risking.

At least, that's why I think his thought progress was.

Do I remember correctly that at one point, you didn't like how Schaub threw the ball away too early?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you talking about two different plays here?

The pick by Keo was on J Simpson.

Shilo started in single deep safety before the Texans seem to settle in quarter coverage, there's no way Keo can get there any faster, IMO.
Mays was dropping from curl to flat; he can't see the receiver behind him, whether the guy was running a vertical route or an in route - maybe his drop needed to be a yard or two deeper, I don't know. But that's the only way I can think of that can prevent a 10-yd in route in that defensive scheme.
Old 08-14-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

On first down, the Vikings wanted to go to the air.
Good job in coverage by 48 Mohamed, 47 Tuggle, and 61 B Collins,
gave the D linemen time to collapse the pocket,
forcing Cassel to scramble around.
Crick got around the double team at LDE, turning Cassel back in.
Too bad, he slipped at the last moment.
There was enough time for Jefferson who came from the right side to bat down the pass though.

They did it again on the second play, making it a difficult throw for Cassel to the side line,
where Carmichael pushed the receiver Patterson out of bound for an incompletion.

On 3rd and 11, the Texans decided to drop into a 3-deep 4-underneath zone.
With just 4 to rush, there was no pressure; Cassel was able to find a man in the middle of the zone for an easy completion.
Jamison almost got to the QB, but Cassel just got the ball off.
There was nothing the back seven can do here when the receiver understood the coverage and found the soft spot.
Carmichael needs to secure that tackle; but give him a little credit for getting off the outside deep zone to chase the play;
the read was good; the execution can be better.
I'm not sure I agreed with Harris here. Rather, I think it was just a play where the offensive call simply works well agaist this defensive call; that and Cassel not locking on a receiver.

Crick with good penetration and Mohamed with a strong collision against their FB in the backfield helped limited the run by Asiata to 3 yards.
Quick read by Swearinger coming down on the tackle.
This is his bread and butter in college and it shows.

Pleasant then jumped the route on the next play for an INT on a five-man zone blitz against seven blockers.
(He might have gotten away with a slight hold on the TE, but he let go very quickly and avoided the call.)
Hunter and Crick took on double-teams.
Jamison got around the edge, forcing the QB to step up.
Tuggle and Mohamed worked hard and fast on the stunt, with Mohamed finally broke free to coral the QB just as he released the ball.
Teamwork!
Old 08-14-2013   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

On first down, Yates' pass was batted back by a DT (good timing on the defender's part.)
I'd rather not put too much read into it, only noting why is it that some QB's passes are batted dowm more than others.

White with a good block on the NT.
Brooks sustained the UT for Newton's cut block that sprang DJ for 13.
Good job by DJ on the cut, making a guy missed.
Efficient block by KMart downfield.

Brooks was a bit slow on the get off, and was pushed by the DT toward the running lane.
It's tough for LT Harris to sustain the block.
Nowhere for DJ to go; he was stopped for no gain.
Jones and White can be a little stronger on the combo block.

Yates wasn't quite fluid on his progression and was sacked at the 4-sec mark.
He (probably) should have dumped the ball off to the RB some time after the 2-sec mark as his receivers were covered.

On third and 14, the Texans had a bubble screen set up on either side.
The Texans had 3 to block 2 on the left, which would have made it quite cheesey, with a possibility for a first down.
Yates probably needs a better presnap read, and/or perhaps a better post snap read.
Hopkins was able to gain only 2.

Punt.
Old 08-14-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Do I remember correctly that at one point, you didn't like how Schaub threw the ball away too early?
Yes, I've said that about Schaub. Haven't had the opportunity much lately, but I also hate it when he throws it away too late. I'm not saying it's a "big" deal or anything, but you're wondering what he was thinking, I'm sure Kubiak puckered up quite a bit on that one.

Actually, I don't know if he's shown the ability to make that throw consistently or put it in the dirt the way he did, it's probably nothing to worry about at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Are you talking about two different plays here?

The pick by Keo was on J Simpson.
Yeah, I have a hard enough time remembering our players.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read